Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Crabtree posted:

I'm just running in a mobius strip of liking a franchise and I've come to accept it.

I loved Sonic as a kid. I didn't have many video games and I was homeschooled. As a result I can probably beat Sonic 3 & Knuckles in my sleep with my hands amputated. Also read the Archie comics.

Then I grew up and Sonic was just sort of beneath me and every time I'd at least try to enjoy one of the new games they always let me down and kept getting worse and the fandom is other got weirder and worse I just noticed. So Sonjc was dead to me until I started seeing videos of the daytime stages from Unleashed and was blown away. Then I saw the were hog stuff. Then 4 came out and that was fun for a second then it sucked.

But I've never been able to shake a basic fondness for the series, especially as it went deeper and deeper into bulldada. Really loved Generations. Couldn't get the hang of Lost World at all.

So yeah. I'm in the same position. I have a lot fondness for Sonic as a character and a franchise. I like Sonic. I like going fast. Eggman is probably my favorite villain ever.

When Sonic is good it's amazing.

But when Sonic sucks. (which is most of the time) it's gonna be baaaaad.

But Sonic kind of gets more powerful the more he sucks. Even before the social media reinvention, Sonjc has been at least amusingly bad. There's a Shrek aspect to it, but Sonic is a more fun appealing character and the franchise, despite its roots, has a weird sincerity lacking from the other avatar of mediocrity.

If Sonic Mania seems like an impossible thing to gently caress up. They better not because I really want to play that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

beep by grandpa posted:

One extremely minor thing I don't like about sonic mania & sonic fan games is the super smooth sonic rotating sprite on gentle ramps and loops.

There's something about it that's ugly/cheap looking to me, I kinda like the genesis games' harsher 45° sprite rotations. Anyone else agree/even understand what I'm sayin

i feel the same. it looks especially weird when he's falling and reorienting.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I know this is going to be spergy but I really I hate gaming journalists playing Sonic games. They always seem to be completely incapable of playing the game and keep making the most basic loving mistakes imaginable and a good many of them are the dumb idiots on Youtube like Egoraptor who say Sonic was never good to begin with, all because they're completely inept at playing anything but most simplistic, easy games and have poo poo for reflexes.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i loving love sonic the hedgehog and i'm not ashamed

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I know this is going to be spergy but I really I hate gaming journalists playing Sonic games. They always seem to be completely incapable of playing the game and keep making the most basic loving mistakes imaginable and a good many of them are the dumb idiots on Youtube like Egoraptor who say Sonic was never good to begin with, all because they're completely inept at playing anything but most simplistic, easy games and have poo poo for reflexes.

You shouldn't let people being bad at video games get to you. That's just the way they are.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

JordanKai posted:

Please don't let people being bad at video games get to you. That's just the way things are.

It's not just Sonic games, I kind of get annoyed at people trying to review or otherwise show off any game and being bad at it too. Unless they're so terrible it's kind of funny, like Polygon playing the new Doom.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
Do you think Sega's gonna start going under any time soon? It seems like Sonic is literally the only IP they have left, and it's been doing a lot worse than Mario in terms of sales

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

beep by grandpa posted:

One extremely minor thing I don't like about sonic mania & sonic fan games is the super smooth sonic rotating sprite on gentle ramps and loops.

There's something about it that's ugly/cheap looking to me, I kinda like the genesis games' harsher 45° sprite rotations. Anyone else agree/even understand what I'm sayin

I think it looks awesome

Edit:

HighwireAct posted:

Do you think Sega's gonna start going under any time soon? It seems like Sonic is literally the only IP they have left, and it's been doing a lot worse than Mario in terms of sales

Sega's a pretty big publisher at this point, sort of like Squareenix, with a bunch of not Sega-created games. They're doing fine.

Kulkasha fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 23, 2016

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HighwireAct posted:

recent hit sega games include alien: isolation, yakuza, hatsune miku and football manager, thanks for reading

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

HighwireAct posted:

Sega have tons of IPs left, like Total War, Project Diva and other Miku games and Yakuza and plenty of others I'm forgetting. Their biggest hits at the moment seem to be mobile and PC games though.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The first people that get to preview games for the internet are always loving terrible at them. It's just the way it works, I'm afraid.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Groovelord Neato posted:

ummm that was emerald hill zone??

Right, I'm saying maybe it's because for me that's the original starting level instead of green hill.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That video of Green Hill actually gets me more excited for Sonic Mania. It starts out just as you'd expect, then suddenly the layout changes completely, you get fired left out of a tube and you have no idea where the hell you're supposed to go because the right seems totally blocked. It's a clever way of mixing up the classic formula.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

has sammy sonic fan weighed in on the announcement.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That video of Green Hill actually gets me more excited for Sonic Mania. It starts out just as you'd expect, then suddenly the layout changes completely, you get fired left out of a tube and you have no idea where the hell you're supposed to go because the right seems totally blocked. It's a clever way of mixing up the classic formula.

No werehog, no sword, no hoverboard, no beastiality, no bandages…. N the only shadow involved is from the sunlight

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Same friend

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

smell this posted:

No werehog, no sword, no hoverboard, no beastiality, no bandages…. N the only shadow involved is from the sunlight

These are all fine ideas except the bestiality though

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Did they announce a new game or not? I couldn't tell by reading the thread.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

The Skeleton King posted:

Did they announce a new game or not? I couldn't tell by reading the thread.

Two new games. Sonic Mania, a retro Sonic out next spring, and an unnamed Generatons sequel out Christmas 2017.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Don't forget Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice!

:flaccid:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Kirby's Rainbow Curse review on Ign (or Gamespot I forgot) will always be a highlight where the reviewer just crashed the character into the first boss and just sat there letting poor Kirby die while talking about how hard drawing a straight line is.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Started watching Sonic Boom because of this thread. It's pretty funny. Jokes are mostly on point. The animation is nice and pretty. But tbh it's Mike Pollock's Eggman that's keeping me watching.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Started watching Sonic Boom because of this thread. It's pretty funny. Jokes are mostly on point. The animation is nice and pretty. But tbh it's Mike Pollock's Eggman that's keeping me watching.

I've almost started watching for that reason alone but at the same time I'll probably just wait until the show's over and watch the inevitable Eggman supercut

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Fawf posted:

I've almost started watching for that reason alone but at the same time I'll probably just wait until the show's over and watch the inevitable Eggman supercut

Counterpoint: watch it.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Every time I try to give the Sonic Boom cartoon a shot, it ends up reminding me a lot of the plot structure from episodes of the old Donkey Kong Country cartoon and I end up turning it off shortly afterwards (Mike Pollock Eggman being the only redeeming factor).

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

But there is no singing

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want an Eggman only game just because of Mike Pollock.

There could be missions to trick Knuckles and Shadow into doing dumb things for you.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I just watched the Season finale and now want to go back and watch more just because of how hilarious their use of Shadow was.

Also the joke writing is seriously decent from what I've seen. It's basically "What if Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was good?" The show.
And The funny animal Alex Jones character is p. Funny too.

Pollack clearly LOVES being Eggman and he just sells the show. The rest is good. Maybe the most amazing night thing is that for once Tails has a voice that isn't totally grating. Amy has a personality.

My ideal Aonic shiwnwouldnactuallyntonenwise be somewhere between the OVA and the U.K. Comic. I think sonic works best when there's a mixture of flashy attitude but paired with an actual adventure. It doesn't have to be grimdark serious, but there's room in the Sonic world for some drama and stakes.

Boom is not that, but it's really good for what it is. It also looks way better than it has any right to look. It's like an action sitcom and it hits the tone it's going for really well.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Jarogue posted:

But there is no singing

yeah this is a big problem with the show, eggman needs more song and dance numbers imo

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmiYJd9Bz0k

We do need Eggman songs tho, yeah

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

DID SOMEONE SAY EGGMAN SONGS

http://soundcloud.com/itsamike/sonic-the-hedgehog

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The music for this sonic mania trailer is really, really good.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

And now I want to hear him do his Sonic Adventure theme.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

DID SOMEONE SAY EGGMAN'S SONIC ADVENTURE THEME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PBSxpOlvaM

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Initially I wasn't that excited about Sonic Mania, and I think it's because I've seen so many Sonic fangames that get a demo released with 1 or 2 levels that are really really good, and then the developer team takes forever and then eventually the game stops exisiting.

But this isn't a fangame, it's an actual, official thing. It has to come out. :v:

EDIT: VVV Yeah holy poo poo that song is so good, reminds me of Stardust Speedway. LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION! :allears:

Xad fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 24, 2016

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGR5fTO2oio

this music oh my god

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
also I love the fact that Sonic Mania is basically a SEGA-sanctioned fangame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I really wish the Sonic 1 and 2 iOS/Android ports came to PC (or PS4 or Wii U or 3DS or really any other system I have). While I've heard good things about the virtual controller, at the same time, gently caress virtual controllers.

• Locked thread