Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

blowfish posted:

Or wait 20 years till all the olds have died of heart disease and falling down stairs.

But then we become the olds :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Shooting in a shopping mall in Munich?

https://mobile.twitter.com/PolizeiMuenchen/status/756527978411094016

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jul/22/munich-shooting-police-evacuate-shopping-centre-live

9m ago
18:06
Germany’s Muencher Abendzeitung is reporting that up to 15 people have been killed. Again, police have not officially confirmed any casualty figures.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Orbán just gave a speech endorsing Trump and calling for a moratorium on immigration in Europe, praising Erdogan and also basically saying that Western Europe's political leadership of the EU has failed and they should get out of the way. He wants an EU-wide secret service system to prevent attacks like Munich and says stability is most important.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I'm gladly willing to pay more taxes so we can get more funding for ESA with the sole purpose of launching that man into the sun.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Zohar posted:

Orbán just gave a speech endorsing Trump and calling for a moratorium on immigration in Europe, praising Erdogan and also basically saying that Western Europe's political leadership of the EU has failed and they should get out of the way. He wants an EU-wide secret service system to prevent attacks like Munich and says stability is most important.

Maybe he should google what the secret service actually does.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
He obviously means in the way of intelligence service, not glorified treasury agents.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

effectual posted:

Well, money laundry helps terrorists fund their operations, so it might help.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

effectual posted:

I'm sure he means an agency like the Stasi, Checka, Gestapo, NKVD or KGB, not some glorified bodyguards. Give him the benefit of the doubt.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Orban and Erdogan should just gently caress and get it over with.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Looks increasingly like a Breivik fanboy:

https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/756805092209221632

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Well, it was the anniversary of Breivik's attacks...

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Yeah "titkosszolgálat" which literally means "secret service" is just a catch-all term for any intelligence service or secret police, though it is used to translate the name of the US Secret Service as well. The Reuters article below translated it as "intelligence-gathering organisation".

Still haven't seen a full transcript of the speech but there is some English-language reporting up now, which unsurprisingly is focusing on the Trump remarks:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-usa-election-trump-orban-idUKKCN1030IC

quote:

"I am not a Donald Trump campaigner," he said in the televised speech. "I never thought I would ever entertain the thought that, of the open options, he (Trump) would be better for Europe and for Hungary.

"But I listened to the candidate and I must tell you he made three proposals to combat terrorism. And as a European I could have hardly articulated better what Europe needs."

Apparently the Hungarian government hasn't commented on whether it's a full endorsement of Trump.

e: worth noting that the speech was given at the same place where Orbán declared he was building an "illiberal state" 2 years ago

Zohar fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 23, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sereri posted:

I'm gladly willing to pay more taxes so we can get more funding for ESA with the sole purpose of launching that man into the sun.

Launching people out of the solar system is cheaper than launching people into the sun. We must be mindful of these things in the age of austerity. :pseudo:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Launching people out of the solar system is cheaper than launching people into the sun. We must be mindful of these things in the age of austerity. :pseudo:

It's a lovely half measure. If you launch him out of the solar system he will ultimately cool down to a few °K and be preserved for millions of years. Chances are high that some day pyjama-wearing communists will find him in space and reanimate him.

That's the problem with austerity, it leads to half measures and band-aid solutions that do more damage in the long run.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

waitwhatno posted:

It's a lovely half measure. If you launch him out of the solar system he will ultimately cool down to a few °K and be preserved for millions of years. Chances are high that some day pyjama-wearing communists will find him in space and reanimate him.

That's the problem with austerity, it leads to half measures and band-aid solutions that do more damage in the long run.

But he is so full of hot air, and believes himself to be the center of the universe to the point he has his own (significant) gravitational pull. He might cause a runaway fusion reaction.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Pochoclo posted:

But he is so full of hot air, and believes himself to be the center of the universe to the point he has his own (significant) gravitational pull. He might cause a runaway fusion reaction.

Yes fusion in the Sun would be bad

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

catfry posted:

It could blow up the Sun.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Friendly Humour posted:

It could blow up the Sun.

Serves it right for running a permanent export surplus of photons against the earth.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Swabian housewife could tell you a thing or two about tritium ignition.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So there's been a lot of talk about reevaluating NATO recently on America's side recently thanks to stuff from Trump. But I wanted to hear from the European side what the thought is on NATO.

Is there a credible replacement for NATO in the common defense clause of the EU?

How would Europeans feel about a mandatory defense spending requirement for an alliance bloc rather than a aspirational goal of 2%? It would give Europeans more of a say in what happens globally, give you more independence from the USA, and allow the US to pare down our own spending the free up funds for social programs.

Is there another solution I haven't mentioned that is bouncing around Europe?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Not part of NATO (Finland), kinda don't wanna be either. But even less would I want for more european integration in the form of some common defence, so better NATO than that. A defensive union of the nordic countries would be a different thing but brussels can gently caress the right off.

Absolutely no interest in europe playing on an international level or having military influence either, leave that kind of thing to the US. The few times the pathetic remnants of empire left in europe tried to get involved in global politics rather than keeping at home and build quality goods like they should, it's been disaster.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

IMO Europe should federalise and have a unified structure for finance and defence.

Exactly the opposite of what that dude above me said lol.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
There is broad support for an EU army and unified defence policy among European leaders but translating the support in principle to practice has always been difficult. I was in the audience at a meeting of defence policymakers in London a few years ago on the subject and what I heard then was that the civil service in the British defence ministry and other countries were pushing for it but had been stonewalled on account of it being politically difficult. Clearly post-Brexit things are a bit different. Interestingly in the speech by Orbán yesterday he called for an EU army as well.

I think the idea that Europe's interventions have always been bad is a bit wrongheaded, in the Iraq War it was very clearly the US (and Britain) doing the stupid things and France and Germany saying the sensible things.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Zohar posted:

I think the idea that Europe's interventions have always been bad is a bit wrongheaded, in the Iraq War it was very clearly the US (and Britain) doing the stupid things and France and Germany saying the sensible things.

Spain and Portugal also peddled for the Iraq war, with Barroso and Aznar being the main faces of the build up to the war outside of Bush/Blair.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
UK/France are responsible for that disaster formerly called the state of Libya.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

awesome-express posted:

IMO Europe should federalise and have a unified structure for finance and defence.

:agreed:

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
What if those unified structures turn out to be bad and corrupt? It's like you're hoping for "good Czar" to take care of all the problems.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pigdog posted:

What if those unified structures turn out to be bad and corrupt? It's like you're hoping for "good Czar" to take care of all the problems.

A pan euro defence organization would at least be large enough to to be effective. Ineffectiveness breeds corruption imo so it would at least have that going for it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Ineffectiveness breeds corruption imo so it would at least have that going for it.

I feel like you're mistaking the cart for the horse.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

So there's been a lot of talk about reevaluating NATO recently on America's side recently thanks to stuff from Trump. But I wanted to hear from the European side what the thought is on NATO.

Is there a credible replacement for NATO in the common defense clause of the EU?

How would Europeans feel about a mandatory defense spending requirement for an alliance bloc rather than a aspirational goal of 2%? It would give Europeans more of a say in what happens globally, give you more independence from the USA, and allow the US to pare down our own spending the free up funds for social programs.

Is there another solution I haven't mentioned that is bouncing around Europe?
I don't even know what that means. Is this about the US reducing its defence budget? If so, why does it need to leave NATO for that?

- The EU has a common defense treaty, but there is no current threat to any member so nobody gives a poo poo about spending money on common defence. I don't see how this would change if the US was to reduce its defence budget. If NATO was to be dissolved, Europe would have to organize the biggest military reform in post-war history. Most of our militaries are designed to operate within NATO and are not really independent.

- I guess mandatory defense spending would be a death blow to NATO. No loving way member states are going to just spend money for the sake of spending money, that's insanity.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

MiddleOne posted:

I feel like you're mistaking the cart for the horse.

corruption can screw up something which could otherwise be effective, but if something's obviously screwed from the start why would anyone care enough to try to make it work

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

awesome-express posted:

Europe probably should do that but there is like no chance of that happening anywhere in the near future.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

catfry posted:

"runaway" you brexiter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium_flash

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 24, 2016

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I think such a structure could make sense if there were peer reviews, if other countries could come to Spain and say "lol that's not an army it's a useless cesspool of corruption" that" that would be a good thing. But it would require integration and be unworkable unless the whole external threat got serious, which Russia isnt. So no.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

alas, once again, I'm defeated by my poor understanding of Hungarian politics

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

waitwhatno posted:

The EU has a common defense treaty, but there is no current threat to any member so nobody gives a poo poo about spending money on common defence.
Russia exists.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Russia exists.

Any member that matters.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Russia exists.

So does Cambodia, Peru and Nigeria. Not seeing your point here. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

I don't even know what that means. Is this about the US reducing its defence budget? If so, why does it need to leave NATO for that?

- The EU has a common defense treaty, but there is no current threat to any member so nobody gives a poo poo about spending money on common defence. I don't see how this would change if the US was to reduce its defence budget. If NATO was to be dissolved, Europe would have to organize the biggest military reform in post-war history. Most of our militaries are designed to operate within NATO and are not really independent.

- I guess mandatory defense spending would be a death blow to NATO. No loving way member states are going to just spend money for the sake of spending money, that's insanity.

Perhaps his initial argument in USPOL may clarify his statement somewhat.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Large, rich countries like Germany, France, and Italy should provide their fair share to a mutual protection pact.

There is no enforcement mechanism to ensure that countries aren't free riding on others, and it ends up with the USA having to pick up the slack off Western Europe.

Maybe a failure to provide you 1.5-2% of your GDP to defense should result in you getting kicked out after a while instead of endlessly coasting along all the while bitching about how the country paying your rent isn't doing everything your way.

The law firm of Fuch. K. You and Go T. Mine are always ready to help their valued clients.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 24, 2016