Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Once you get the hang of them the helicopters ain't half bad. I've been mucking about with the Vulture and though it lacks an auto-tracking gun it has fantastic speed and enough firepower to level hectors, nests and shield bearers if you aim the lasers right. In addition you can be everybody's hero by swooping in to precision-fry grabby-ants and pick up downed players in short order. On the nuttier maps you can easily call down excess Vultures for other players to ram into buildings have fun with.

The only problem comes when you finally run out of ammo and you have no-place to land that isn't carpeted in ants and spiders...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I didn't see any options for controller support when I took a cursory look. Is there any native controller support that I just missed?

Aiming with kb/m is really nice but vehicle controls (and recoil compensation with fencers to a lesser extent) with a mouse are really wonky. It's the one thing that really suffers as a result of being a port. I'd have no problems switching between the two mid mission if I could.

That or I'm just doing it wrong, but slow turning vehicles mean I'm desperately sliding my mouse across the desk over and over again as my Metal Gear?!? turns at it's own pace.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Renegret posted:

I didn't see any options for controller support when I took a cursory look. Is there any native controller support that I just missed?

Aiming with kb/m is really nice but vehicle controls (and recoil compensation with fencers to a lesser extent) with a mouse are really wonky. It's the one thing that really suffers as a result of being a port. I'd have no problems switching between the two mid mission if I could.

That or I'm just doing it wrong, but slow turning vehicles mean I'm desperately sliding my mouse across the desk over and over again as my Metal Gear?!? turns at it's own pace.
I'm using an xbox one controller without issue.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm using an xbox one controller without issue.

hmm

Did it work out of the box or is there a setting somewhere to enable it that I missed? I have a wired 360 remote that should work because it works fine with other games.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Renegret posted:

Very little mouse movement maxes out the turn speed, so you don't need to slide it around that much. It's not great though, and maybe if they ever make a truly modern rebuilt from the ground up EDF, they limit turn rates by unlimiting camera movement and having the turn of the thing catch up with it at it's own speed, so there's no sensitivity issues no matter the input method.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

is there a cheat engine script to make the loot tables more sane because getting level 1-2 weapons from farming a mission on Inferno is insane and stupid. why isn't there a minimum level

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Renegret posted:

hmm

Did it work out of the box or is there a setting somewhere to enable it that I missed? I have a wired 360 remote that should work because it works fine with other games.

Just mash a button when the game tells you to at the start. As far as I know you can't change between kb/m and a gamepad during play.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Is there even any point to shooting at Erginus on stages where you're supposed to punch it in the face?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ChickenHeart posted:

Once you get the hang of them the helicopters ain't half bad. I've been mucking about with the Vulture and though it lacks an auto-tracking gun it has fantastic speed and enough firepower to level hectors, nests and shield bearers if you aim the lasers right. In addition you can be everybody's hero by swooping in to precision-fry grabby-ants and pick up downed players in short order. On the nuttier maps you can easily call down excess Vultures for other players to ram into buildings have fun with.

The only problem comes when you finally run out of ammo and you have no-place to land that isn't carpeted in ants and spiders...

The buddy I'm playing with so far seems to have actually gotten the hang of flying the things and loves taking me up in the Brute to pot Hectors with a tank cannon. It's like a player-driven rail-shooter section!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

dis astranagant posted:

Just mash a button when the game tells you to at the start. As far as I know you can't change between kb/m and a gamepad during play.

Thanks

I'm not giving up the ability to make crazy skillshots with my limpit gun on flying enemies so I guess I'll just stick with kb/m. It's a QOL thing for me, so it's no big deal.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Samurai Sanders posted:

I thought it was the only item for effective dash cancelling. I learned how to dash cancel right after I got it.
Lots of stuff works. Shield deflect is the earliest thing you'll have access to that can do it, but other stuff works as well, such as a lot of the quicker-firing cannons.

Blattdorf posted:

Is there even any point to shooting at Erginus on stages where you're supposed to punch it in the face?
You'll still do damage, it just probably won't be quite as much as a gigantic robot fist. There's a later mission where you go up against a bunch of them that I got the final hit in on a few using Wing Diver and a (hilariously powerful) Spark Lance X before it dropped in a Balam in for me. This was on normal, mind you.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is it just me or are the loving air strikes on the first shield bearer mission gunning for you no matter where the enemies are?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You should be able to see the red killzones on your radar before they come in, just like regular Air Raider airstrikes.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Remember: Getting close to a hector can have dangerous awesome consequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-lAfLCPLf8

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

dis astranagant posted:

Is it just me or are the loving air strikes on the first shield bearer mission gunning for you no matter where the enemies are?

It's probably just the way the air strike gets dropped. It's a line of bombs aimed at the shieldbearer and you, as the player, are probably more likely to run straight for it and so get caught in it.

Just stick with the NPC fencers during that mission and you should be out of the bombing area.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Alternatively run your little heart out to be inside the shield before that happens because the NPC fencers are glacial in their progress.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

is there a cheat engine script to make the loot tables more sane because getting level 1-2 weapons from farming a mission on Inferno is insane and stupid. why isn't there a minimum level

There is minimum and maximum level ranges for each mission, the floor doesn't start to raise until like 20-25 missions in, but sadly inferno's level ranges stay pretty wide all throughout.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

There is minimum and maximum level ranges for each mission, the floor doesn't start to raise until like 20-25 missions in, but sadly inferno's level ranges stay pretty wide all throughout.

From the looks of it, the floor never raises in inferno or hardest this time around.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

Kinda want to pick back up where I left off on the PS3. Do you have a link to that thread? My google-fu returns only two threads on EDF in CE.

http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?p=5683804&sid=eddf6cf548636b2e2a445de7e561c8ed#5683804

You have to cut and paste the script out of this post into a .CT file yourself.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

dis astranagant posted:

It's a rite of passage

EDF!! EDF!!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

From the looks of it, the floor never raises in inferno or hardest this time around.
:suicide:

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Sykic posted:

I had something similar happen, from one side of the map to the other but i was roughly 1000meters in the air so i got some serious airtime.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sykic posted:

I had this happen twice in the same mission as a ranger.

It was the moment that made me switch away from Ranger to Wing Diver because holy poo poo the walk back was miserable.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sage Grimm posted:

Alternatively run your little heart out to be inside the shield before that happens because the NPC fencers are glacial in their progress.

Last time I tried that back in 2025, the Airstrike killed me even though it couldn't hurt the shield bearer I was hiding under :downs:

I haven't made the attempt again in 4.1.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I'm confused about dash cancelling with the fencer- why is a melee weapon needed at all? If I rapidly alternate between the ion shield's vibration and the dash, I have barely any downtime; the javelin doesn't need to do anything.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Generally you need a melee weapon to dash in the first place. Other weapons might give you something like a boost jump or a camera zoom instead.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ooh gotcha, that makes sense... thanks :)

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Mission 29 changed my life.

EDF! EDF! EDF!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GNU Order posted:

Mission 29 changed my life.

EDF! EDF! EDF!

You've earned it, Soldier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fVyM5KbOZk

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Oooh boy, first time ever using cheat engine since the armour grinding in this is not fun.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Two days ago my brother died, next day my lover fell.
Today most everyone was killed; on that we must not dwell!
But we will never leave the field, we'll never say farewell
The EDF deploys!

I don't know what EDF training involves, but it must be terrifying. Especially the Fencers. 'I don't know what that is, but I'm going to waddle up to it and stab it's balls out through it's skull.'

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

TacticalNecromancy posted:

Two days ago my brother died, next day my lover fell.
Today most everyone was killed; on that we must not dwell!
But we will never leave the field, we'll never say farewell
The EDF deploys!

I don't know what EDF training involves, but it must be terrifying. Especially the Fencers. 'I don't know what that is, but I'm going to waddle up to it and stab it's balls out through it's skull.'

I'm sorry, training? You must be thinking of another organization that is not the EDF.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Blattdorf posted:

Despite what Ohara says, guns and explosives do in fact work against Erginus. (And there's a couple DLC missions where you're up against Ergini and on foot)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Feonir posted:

I'm sorry, training? You must be thinking of another organization that is not the EDF.

??? Some of those rangers have been training for seven years.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

fritz posted:

??? Some of those rangers have been training for seven years.

Maybe someone should've taught them sometime in those seven years that bullets do not pierce cave walls.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Renegret posted:

Maybe someone should've taught them sometime in those seven years that bullets do not pierce cave walls.

Maybe they are expecting to hit bits of GIANT INSECT that are clipping through the walls to kill them? Certainly does wonders when I hang out under subway station platforms and shoot the confused bits of EVOLVED INSECTS clipping through in a leisurely manner, at least.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What is being swallowed?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Renegret posted:

Never seemed to stop those loving spider webs from shooting through.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.

dis astranagant posted:

It does, though, but not really enough to make a difference, hardest and inferno actually maintain a 60 level gap at most times in any one level. I mainly get my info off this japanese wiki page that has an accurate table of the mission drop ranges under the "Acquisition Weapon Level" tab. Also a decent amount of somewhat understandable weapon farming advice.

Also, there's a weapon checklist page so you can determine whether or not you're missing something or wasting time trying to grind a certain mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Vakal posted:

Never seemed to stop those loving spider webs from shooting through.

The fight against the GIANT INSECTS™ is an uphill battle fraught with perils.

It never was a fair fight.