Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

You go to hell, titanic is a good drat movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Rirse posted:

Wow, Abyss finally. It never even got a anthropomorphic widescreen release on dvd!

Now I'm picturing a film strip with eyes, animated like Mr DNA.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Say what you want about Titanic's direction or acting, but it absolutely was a cultural milestone.

Dude made teenaged girls sit through multiple, multiple viewings of a 3:15 minute film. The ability to twist sentimentality and leave the audience weeping at the end is just top notch. It crafts a very generic but engaging Star Crossed Love story from the skeleton of a huge industrial accident. And it integrated CGI very, very well.

If that's not enough, consider how it didn't lead to a bunch of similar flicks (Hindenburg!). Why? Look at Pearl Harbor as justification enough to what a shitshow Titanic could have been.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CPL593H posted:

I like the idea that anyone could call The Abyss Cameron's "weakest" movie when Titanic and Avatar exist.
I meant from a general reviews/audience response standpoint. Avatar and Titanic aren't the top two grossing movies of all time by accident.

I'd definitely call Titanic a stronger movie, especially on a technical level. The recreation of the ship (and its sinking) is an incredible achievement.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Call Me Charlie posted:

The fact that True Lies wasn't brought up with The Abyss :suicide:

Still got my non-anamorphic DVD whose only extra feature is a goddamn trailer. Such a great piece of Schwarzenegger's oeuvre that will probably never get its due thanks to it being in a home video coffin.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Still got my non-anamorphic DVD whose only extra feature is a goddamn trailer. Such a great piece of Schwarzenegger's oeuvre that will probably never get its due thanks to it being in a home video coffin.

There's a 1080i copy floating around from, of all things, a D-VHS tape. It's a bit rough but is as good as it gets for the moment.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

blue squares posted:

You go to hell, titanic is a good drat movie

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Titanic is worth it for the propeller guy.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Count me as someone who thought Avatar was pretty great and never understood why it became cool to hate it :shrug:

I still watch it every couple of years.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Titanic and Avatar get a little silly, but it's still top notch filmmaking.

I'd like to say he's today's Cecil B. DeMille, except he wasn't nearly as good of a filmmaker.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Egbert Souse posted:

They immerse the camera negative (or film element) in a special fluid during scanning that "fills in" scratches and washes off dirt.

Neat. We do that with slides in optical microscopes when we are at the higher magnifications, and the imperfections on the surface of the glass begin to obscure whatever tiny thing we're trying to look at.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

SwissCM posted:

There's a 1080i copy floating around from, of all things, a D-VHS tape. It's a bit rough but is as good as it gets for the moment.

there's also a "Director's Pan & Scan" laserdisc

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Rusty Staub posted:

there's also a "Director's Pan & Scan" laserdisc

gross. the d-vhs rip is widescreen in actual hd

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=4516&d2=4518&c=1851

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=4516&d2=4518&s1=41995&s2=42009&i=4&l=0

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

SwissCM posted:

They found time to put it on that, but not even a decent DVD.

Upon further digging, there's also an open-matte 16x9 version used for foreign TV that surprisingly looks quite good. Either way, now that Bad Boys II is a reality, True Lies is my new go-to complaint movie.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Hedrigall posted:

Count me as someone who thought Avatar was pretty great and never understood why it became cool to hate it :shrug:

My only big complaint is the script. Cameron still stages the most magnificent action set pieces. You always know where you are in his scenes, and he choreographs the movement through the frame so loving well. But goddamn, that movie is tortuous every time a character opens their mouth. I know it won't happen because he's got so much positive reinforcement, but I wish he'd just come up with the story outlines and then give the script duty to someone who can write. He started off as a pretty decent, no-nonsense writer, but now, ugh.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The screenplay to The Terminator is a work of genius. Cameron definitely got worse as a writer as he went on.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I don't even think the dialogue in Avatar is especially bad, just really flat. The villains are dull and that really hurts it. (Aliens really benefits from Paul Reiser being cast against type.)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I don't even think the dialogue in Avatar is especially bad, just really flat. The villains are dull and that really hurts it. (Aliens really benefits from Paul Reiser being cast against type.)

Yeah you wouldn't think to say it about a guy like Paul Reiser but he definitely brings some stuff to that character that doesn't really exist on the page

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Ultraviolet code for Fifth Element up for grabs.

3EFA BPV6 5CPP VCA3

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah you wouldn't think to say it about a guy like Paul Reiser but he definitely brings some stuff to that character that doesn't really exist on the page

Cameron's one of those guys who, like Snyder, just has a phenomenal eye for casting.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

smallmouth posted:

Ultraviolet code for Fifth Element up for grabs.

3EFA BPV6 5CPP VCA3

Thanks for this!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Timby posted:

Cameron's one of those guys who, like Snyder, just has a phenomenal eye for casting.

Yeah I was saying it about Reiser but really, you could apply what I said to like 90% of the cast in Aliens (the bringing stuff to the screen that wasn't on the page part, maybe not the "you wouldn't expect it of them" part)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

FilthyImp posted:

Say what you want about Titanic's direction or acting, but it absolutely was a cultural milestone.

Dude made teenaged girls sit through multiple, multiple viewings of a 3:15 minute film. The ability to twist sentimentality and leave the audience weeping at the end is just top notch. It crafts a very generic but engaging Star Crossed Love story from the skeleton of a huge industrial accident. And it integrated CGI very, very well.

If that's not enough, consider how it didn't lead to a bunch of similar flicks (Hindenburg!). Why? Look at Pearl Harbor as justification enough to what a shitshow Titanic could have been.

I never liked it. I won't deny that it's very well made on a technical level because of course it is. But the story is a bunch of generic schmaltzy bullshit.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Pearl Harbor is somewhat fascinating in that it almost plays like a parody of Titanic. It's largely a gee-whiz old Hollywood love story up until its abrupt turn into this horrific, massive slaughter of innocents. In a way it's a really good metaphor for the end of a more "innocent" era. It somewhat loses its ability to be viewed that way when they end it with that "we got 'em back" bombing run, though.

If they went all the way and ended it with the A-bomb it would kinda be Michael Bay's masterpiece

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

SwissCM posted:

I thought that version looked pretty good. In any case yes the D-VHS 1080 version of this is a thing that exists.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Hedrigall posted:

I still watch it every couple of years.

I saw Avatar when it first came out, and I really felt like it was designed to be more of a tech demo for 3D than it was a good movie. I also think people have been hating it since it came out. It's just that you don't also get the other group of people giving it overly enthusiastic reviews.

The biggest problem with it was that they didn't really do anything interesting with the characters. Like, the biggest thing I could say about Jake was that he was paralyzed from the waist-down. He just didn't really seem to stand out to me, and it was hard for me to care about his action.

When I watched the film, the actions of the characters just seemed so simplistic and it didn't really make any sense. I forget exactly what my big problem with the loving tree was, but I felt like "it seems like they could find a way to let the humans have the unobtanium and not bulldoze the loving tree." Of course, it didn't help that the antagonists were very simplistic. They were almost all cartoons.

And then there was naming your mineral unobtanium, which may be a "real name" that people use to describe theoretical elements, but still. It just sounds loving stupid.

There's also the fact that at the end of the movie, the Navi expel the humans and basically doom an entire race to death. In fact, when I watched the movie, the writing was so wretched that I was actually rooting for the humans. I was really happy when they blew up that god-damned tree. For some reason, I really disliked the Navi, and I thought that they were kind of dicks.

When your movie has me rooting for the evil imperialists, you've done a bad job telling your story.

I think it doesn't help that the story is basically an outsider saves a different culture and becomes part of that culture, and it doesn't really add anything interesting to the mix. There's a lot of interesting ideas to you could have done with the concept, such as exploring identity and all that. But throughout the film, it really felt like the entire conflict was external, and there was no internal conflict for Jake. Basically, he just had to convince the Navi that he wasn't a bad guy. Maybe there was, but I didn't pick up on it because by the end, I was just profoundly bored with the whole thing.

As I said, the film was really a tech demo for 3D film making, and I think in that regard, it failed as well. 3D film making really hasn't moved forward very far, and honestly, it feels dead. Like, I can't remember the last film that was in 3D where people were saying you had to see it in 3D. In fact, I don't even bother seeing films in 3D anymore, since after 5 minutes, I forget about the effect, so why pay more?

Even if you don't like the video, I think this video makes a pretty good point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuGFLXfBwrk

From a pop-culture standpoint, Avatar is dead. Nobody makes references to it. Nobody really parodies it. There's no iconic scenes. It's been nearly 20 years since I've last seen Titanic, but yet I still can remember the cultural landmarks. Hell, I've even made recent reference to "Draw me like one of your french girls." But that doesn't happen for Avatar. It's just there. It's something we've seen, but it just didn't do anything interesting beyond be the first quality 3D film in a while. And I think that really speaks to the low-quality of the film. Compare it to the other big James Cameron films, and you realize that they are all really memorable. They all have something that stands out (for some reason, True Lies standout moment for me is the Arabic splash screen for Windows 3.1. I think there's something wrong with me).

I'm sure the sequels, if they ever come out, will do well. If you enjoy it, that's fine though.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

TheScott2K posted:

True Lies is my new go-to complaint movie.

I've almost given up hope, I actually check this thread specifically for True Lies news. Now that The Abyss is done we're one step closer.

Well said, not only is the writing weak but the basic plot outline is cribbed 100% from both Dances With Wolves and Pocahontas. If neither of those movies existed Avatar would be ripped on a lot less.

I like Avatar but it is not a great movie. Good but not great. And I just watched a Zoe Saldana interview where she said they're shooting the next FOUR sequels. Let's hope he got some real creative help in there because I didn't see enough material for twelve more hours of that.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 25, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cemetry Gator posted:

There's also the fact that at the end of the movie, the Navi expel the humans and basically doom an entire race to death. In fact, when I watched the movie, the writing was so wretched that I was actually rooting for the humans. I was really happy when they blew up that god-damned tree. For some reason, I really disliked the Navi, and I thought that they were kind of dicks.

When your movie has me rooting for the evil imperialists, you've done a bad job telling your story.

I mean, when you're coming into the story thinking "those plucky humans need that mineral just to survive" it doesn't really take much to get you to root for them.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

ApexAftermath posted:

I thought that version looked pretty good. In any case yes the D-VHS 1080 version of this is a thing that exists.

It's okay for the time, but the MPEG2 compression artefacts are quite obvious now and it looks pretty soft overall. Colours aren't much better than the DVD either.

It's hands down the best currently available version of the film though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I liked Avatar enough when it came out, almost entirely from a technical/aesthetic perspective. I've since forgotten almost everything about it so yeah, it seems like a maybe movie that is destined to get lost in the sofa cushions of film history.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SwissCM posted:

It's okay for the time, but the MPEG2 compression artefacts are quite obvious now and it looks pretty soft overall.
Those comparison pictures made me :barf: . That macroblocking tho.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

SwissCM posted:

It's okay for the time, but the MPEG2 compression artefacts are quite obvious now and it looks pretty soft overall. Colours aren't much better than the DVD either.

It's hands down the best currently available version of the film though.

Hey at least you can finally watch an anamorphic version of the film!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

CPL593H posted:

I like the idea that anyone could call The Abyss Cameron's "weakest" movie when Titanic and Avatar exist.

...Titanic is a loving phenomenal film, though?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Criminal Minded posted:

I don't like it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Criminal Minded posted:

It's way too long and very uneventful

It's not bad but "loving phenomenal" is a huge stretch and honestly even "good" is a mild one

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's way too long and very uneventful

It's not bad but "loving phenomenal" is a huge stretch and honestly even "good" is a mild one
Uneventful? Titanic? We're still talking about the James Cameron movie, right?

I mean, like, you're a cool dude and I'm not going to tell you that your opinions are bad/wrong, but let's just say that the urge to do so is rising and instead we should just agree to disagree. :hfive:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xenomrph posted:

Uneventful? Titanic? We're still talking about the James Cameron movie, right?

I mean, like, you're a cool dude and I'm not going to tell you that your opinions are bad/wrong, but let's just say that the urge to do so is rising and instead we should just agree to disagree. :hfive:

The last, like, 30 minutes of it are eventful, I'll give you that, but that's roughly a sixth of the movie

and yeah, totally down to agree to disagree, this isn't an opinion I really hold that strongly anyhow (a rewatch could totally make me 180 on it)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Titanic goes by surprisingly quickly for a film that's three hours long. Cameron's writing arguably has a tendency towards the formulaic, but there's no denying he's a gifted storyteller.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

people talking? boooooring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
It shares Avatar's problem of the characters being overly broad stereotypes.

• Locked thread