Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Grognan posted:

The only reason Fishmech is not in the top 5 ignored posters is because he got purged from the ignore lists due to him asking the local IK/mod in YCS/C-SPAM to do it.

if that is what happened, then I am glad it did because Fishmech is a gem

fishmech posted:

That's nothing close to what happened, but feel free to believe in a grand administrator conspiracy against you if you wish. :laugh:

cool, I'm going to believe that then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
fishmech is the smartest kid in america

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Communist Zombie posted:

You misunderstood my original question because it was about the social contract being a literal piece of paper that you sign. And so from your response, I presume that then it would be ok for a Libertarian?

:doh:

You're right, I misread what you meant. Sorry.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Thread highlight: Les mis redux.

Caros
May 14, 2008

VioletCorsica posted:

Thread highlight: Les mis redux.

I forgot about this!

I actually really love when someone goes through the thread and points out all the fun stuff from days past. Its like an old friend coming back to visit. A retarded, retarded friend.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Weatherman posted:

fishmech is the smartest kid in america

Speaking as someone who has twice now argued with Fishmech and lost both times, I don't think he's that bad. Sure, he's your classic keyword-activated aggressively pedantic autistic, which can be annoying, but he isn't any worse in that way than, say, me.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Curvature of Earth posted:

Speaking as someone who has twice now argued with Fishmech and lost both times, I don't think he's that bad. Sure, he's your classic keyword-activated aggressively pedantic autistic, which can be annoying, but he isn't any worse in that way than, say, me.

The only thing that bothers me about fishmech is that I have read literally thousands of posts from him and never seen him admit he is wrong once. Never acknowledge that the other person has a good point. And with literally hundreds of thousands of posts to his name, I know he has to have been wrong at some point, even if his entire shtick is "I'm technically correct and will argue it to death."

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Caros posted:

I forgot about this!

I actually really love when someone goes through the thread and points out all the fun stuff from days past. Its like an old friend coming back to visit. A retarded, retarded friend.

Oh no I got to your divorce... Sorry man. Done that myself.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Goon Danton posted:

There was a joke theory that Atlas Shrugged and Anthem were the first and third books in a trilogy, with the lost second book describing how Galt and his followers all but destroy the world in their greed and viciousness. This sets up the dark age of Anthem and explains its anti-individualist rules as an attempt to stop it from happening again. I don't remember if that was this thread or elsewhere though.

Fake edit: found it. http://bradhicks.livejournal.com/393124.html

This is genuinely great.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Grognan posted:

The only reason Fishmech is not in the top 5 ignored posters is because he got purged from the ignore lists due to him asking the local IK/mod in YCS/C-SPAM to do it.

Mods can't do that lmao

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

WampaLord posted:

The only thing that bothers me about fishmech is that I have read literally thousands of posts from him and never seen him admit he is wrong once.

He's never had the opportuniy

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Literally The Worst posted:

Mods can't do that lmao

ZDR got into a pissing match with YC-Spam. (or is it the other way? eh it's buried under a billion posts and a million gassed threads.)
Dont get into a pissing match with the person who owns the all the piss.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Yeah, that actually looks pretty close to the typical ancap. Not sure what a woman is doing in the background tho. Too young to be his mom...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mods can't do that lmao
He did get purged from everyone's ignore lists a month or two back... when he was made a subforum mod, specifically. Turns out you can't ignore mods.

So if another mod did that as a favor to him, there could be some truth in it?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DACK FAYDEN posted:

He did get purged from everyone's ignore lists a month or two back... when he was made a subforum mod, specifically. Turns out you can't ignore mods.

So if another mod did that as a favor to him, there could be some truth in it?

Or someone thought it would be funny

It's Fishmech

He used to be trained to the gas chamber

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Or someone thought it would be funny

It's Fishmech

He used to be trained to the gas chamber

I thought it was Coupons?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

paragon1 posted:

Potato, potahtoe

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caros posted:

Yeah, that actually looks pretty close to the typical ancap. Not sure what a woman is doing in the background tho. Too young to be his mom...

That's just his sister

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

paragon1 posted:

i just checked, he was trained to coupons, but there was a period where he could only post in the gas chamber but that got revoked after it broke the forums

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
Fishmech is a terrible poster and so am I and I recommend ignoring both of us.

All of us.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

archangelwar posted:

Fishmech is a terrible poster and so am I and I recommend ignoring both of us.

All of us.

fishmech is real and strong and my friend

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fishmech is real and strong and my friend

Real and your friend I can accept, but strong? No way.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Okay I asked the okc libertarian the follow up questions but didn't set the bot on him yet. I didn't know there was a level of too hot/cabin fever that made me start hunting libertarians for sport. Self knowledge! Thanks JRod!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

VioletCorsica posted:

Okay I asked the okc libertarian the follow up questions but didn't set the bot on him yet. I didn't know there was a level of too hot/cabin fever that made me start hunting libertarians for sport. Self knowledge! Thanks JRod!

If he starts to get mad then accuse him of breaking the NAP

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

QuarkJets posted:

If he starts to get mad then accuse him of breaking the NAP

No, no, no, write a smart contract and send him the link. Continuing to talk to you—even just to ask for clarification about the contract—activates it. He will be contractually obligated to change his OKCupid profile to read "I HATE POOR PEOPLE AND MINORITIES". *Then* if he refuses, accuse him of violating the NAP.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

VioletCorsica posted:

Remember to throw the tiny ones back into the water.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I need some better bait. Hmmm.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Thread highlights: Google hangouts calls where you made fun of libertarians?!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
^^^^
Yeah, that was a lot of fun, wish I could have stuck around for it longer. Next time!

VioletCorsica posted:

I need some better bait. Hmmm.

For finding libertarians on OKC? Just say that the NAP gets you mad horny.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Who What Now posted:

For finding libertarians on OKC? Just say that the NAP gets you mad horny.

Surely lying about this violates the NAP?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Yeah I feel like I may need some keywords, like what books... what if I put Ayn Rand in instead of Amyarta Sen?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Words can't be used to commit harm, that's the whole logic behind it being fine to hire an assassin.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

VioletCorsica posted:

Yeah I feel like I may need some keywords, like what books... what if I put Ayn Rand in instead of Amyarta Sen?

Mention Human Action by Ludwig Von Mises. It's basically the an-cap holy book, seeing as how Von Mises is the Austrian in Austrian Economics.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Communist Zombie posted:

I havent read the entire thread, so maybe this has been answered before but, whats the libertarian response to an actual literal social contract?

As in when you turn 18 (or are about to accept citizenship) you are presented with a contract that basically states youll be a good citizen, pay taxes, etc and in return the government does everything its supposed to do, maybe with sections explaining some of the more confusing parts of the citizen-government relationship- like how land is technically owned by the government :v. Acceptance means you become a citizen, rejecting it means you have to leave the country as you are now trespassing on the states property.

If the US Government started doing this tomorrow, Libertarians would reject it because the US Government acquired all that land by war and conquest, and built all the infrastructure with slave labor and/or coercive taxation. All US government assets must be auctioned off to the highest bidder and the money used to retire the debt.

If a private corporation or wealthy individual acquires enough land and/or critical infrastructure that they can require people to sign such contracts then Libertarians are fine with this in theory because they think they'll be the ones with all the wealth and power dictating terms to the plebs and running the sundown towns.

In practice if Libertarians got everything they say they want and their Voluntaryist utopia somehow came about, virtually all ancaps (minus the few lucky heirs of vast capital) would be the ones having the contracts forced on them, and the locus of the shadowy conspiracy of international Jews and degenerate mooching mongrel races holding them back from becoming supreme captains of industry and joining the elite aristocracy of talent will shift from the US Government to GoldmanSachs-JPMorgan-Chase or Walmart-TimeWarner-Apple Corp or whomever, and the Libertarians will support whatever local self-defense organization is equivalent to Golden Dawn.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

VioletCorsica posted:

Rand is a tricky choice, the dumber libertarians think she's great, but the somewhat more intelligent libertarians know that Rand actually hated libertarians and accused them of plagiarizing her ideas (and obviously her ideas were her own and definitely were not influenced by anyone or anything that came before).

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Rand is a tricky choice, the dumber libertarians think she's great, but the somewhat more intelligent libertarians know that Rand actually hated libertarians and accused them of plagiarizing her ideas (and obviously her ideas were her own and definitely were not influenced by anyone or anything that came before).

Okay I am going to search for the Von Mises string and see if I can attract some by being on their visitors lists. Adding it to my own profile is where sadism would become masochism.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

VioletCorsica posted:

Okay I am going to search for the Von Mises string and see if I can attract some by being on their visitors lists. Adding it to my own profile is where sadism would become masochism.

SM is good op

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Libertarians are really satisfying punching bags from a Debate standpoint; rarely is there such a confluence of bad opinion and ahistorical policies.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Zeitgueist parachute spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Your kink is not my kink but your kink is okay.