Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Seriously there are 15K shares of this outstanding if anyone wants free money:
https://www.predictit.org/Contract/3038/Will-Clinton-announce-her-VP-pick-before-the-convention#data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
RNOM finally finished closing. :rip: my G/L. You were good to me, buddy

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Really lame that they closed the neilson market so early without paying out.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

There is a mod post from yesterday saying they are closing out the R-VP markets, is anyone seeing movement on this? I have NOs on 26 people in there but I don't see anything in my transaction history about any of them getting closed yet.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

a cop posted:

Is the IRC still going?

It moved to Slack. Message G-Hawk if you want to join.

Raivin
Jan 9, 2002
Pillbug

a cop posted:

Really lame that they closed the neilson market so early without paying out.

"Should Nielsen not attribute viewership data to the acceptance speech itself, viewership data published for the closest-matching block of time for the networks televising the speech live will be used to resolve this market."

Could they be giving Neilsen time to officially declare viewership for the speech itself instead of going with what appears to be the viewership for the entire day? Not that they couldn't have kept trading open, but I wonder if that's their angle.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i'm leaning toward they just let everyone take off early for the weekend this afternoon

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
well between both the VP markets closing and the huge win in the Johnson polling market, I'm suddenly down to <40% invested... I had dumped a chunk into VA and NC general election markets on the R.NO side, and might just let them ride :shrug: any relatively near-term markets people are targeting right now? Maybe hold out for next week's DNC markets like viewership

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

thethreeman posted:

well between both the VP markets closing and the huge win in the Johnson polling market, I'm suddenly down to <40% invested... I had dumped a chunk into VA and NC general election markets on the R.NO side, and might just let them ride :shrug: any relatively near-term markets people are targeting right now? Maybe hold out for next week's DNC markets like viewership

Have you considered betting on polls?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

FourLeaf posted:

It moved to Slack. Message G-Hawk if you want to join.

either send me an email address on irc direct msg or on SA pm and i can an invite for anyone who got left behind

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

EngineerSean posted:

No don't!!

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
It's defimitely a real problem that will only become more exacerbated once the general election is paid out. Where's my market on whether PredictIt will be able to handle the mass withdrawal of funds by November 15?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
The strategy is to shift over to more congressional stuff and open regular weekly 'news cycle' hot topic markets. They can actually be pretty lucrative because sometimes they'll be about really dumb loving topics but since people are hyped about it the market will be way out of balance.

It's how I made a bunch of money off the Putin.Remain and DPRNUKE

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Necc0 posted:

The strategy is to shift over to more congressional stuff and open regular weekly 'news cycle' hot topic markets. They can actually be pretty lucrative because sometimes they'll be about really dumb loving topics but since people are hyped about it the market will be way out of balance.

DPRNUKE was so great. It’s what hooked me on the site. I couldn’t stand by and watch those idiots throw their money away. I had to have some for myself.

I’ve since been involved in more profitable markets, ones that were volatile for days on end instead of a once‐off, but none will ever be as satisfying as DPRNUKE.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Necc0 posted:

Platystemon posted:

DPRNUKE was so great. It’s what hooked me on the site. I couldn’t stand by and watch those idiots throw their money away. I had to have some for myself.

I’ve since been involved in more profitable markets, ones that were volatile for days on end instead of a once‐off, but none will ever be as satisfying as DPRNUKE.

How long did you have your money wrapped up in those markets? That's my only worry about stuff like that.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

FourLeaf posted:

How long did you have your money wrapped up in those markets? That's my only worry about stuff like that.

DPR corrected itself within a week iirc as people realized they'd hosed up.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

EngineerSean posted:

lol

I love big-picture polls, like Johnson or Stein, but the micro-increment ones blow

Necc0 posted:

yeah this is what I'm foreseeing, and I can live with it. Good excuse to spend more time learning about downticket races

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Much like betting on the wnba might be more profitable than betting on the nba due to sports books lack of knowledge, it definitely doesn't sound as fun to predict local minutia vs the presidential election.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Can't believe how easy this week's TvC poll was to call, next week will be even easier to call

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

EngineerSean posted:

Can't believe how easy this week's TvC poll was to call, next week will be even easier to call

Nice job, dude. Grats.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

EngineerSean posted:

Too drunk to check is this via a specific poller or via RCP? I thought she was a lot further ahead than that

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
RCP

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
RCP currently has her at +2% so your screenshot is just a little weird but I thought she had at least a 4% lead. I guess that was a month ago?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
It is currently h+2.0 but the most likely polls to drop will drop it lower.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If DWS no longer has a speaking role at the DNC is she still going to be chair?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nirvikalpa posted:

If DWS no longer has a speaking role at the DNC is she still going to be chair?

Yes she's still the chair until after the election, going by current plans.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Whoops didn't realize how many "I'll sell a few if it swings up a bit" offers I had left open in the DWS market.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

DWS going nuts over the past few hours. YES has dipped below 60c a couple times.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

DWS going nuts over the past few hours. YES has dipped below 60c a couple times.

Might have something to do with this
http://gawker.com/report-debbie-wasserman-schultz-ousted-from-dnc-1784218119

Peacheshead
Oct 21, 2010

DWS resignation goes into effect at the end of the convention (i.e. in July)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/07/24/dnc-chair-debbie-wasserman-schultz-resigns/

quote:

The chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee faced growing pressure to resign in the aftermath of the release of thousands of embarrassing internal email exchanges among Democratic officials. Her resignation takes effect at the end of the Democratic National Convention, which begins Monday.

e: though I guess if it doesn't go down exactly as reported then it won't make the July cutoff

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

The Joe Man posted:

I'm done with PI for awhile but easy money: https://www.predictit.org/Contract/3017/Will-Debbie-Wasserman-Schultz-remain-DNC-chair-through-July

New chair is being selected at the convention; she's already fired. Make almost triple your money back.

Wow what a bad tip

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

Wow what a bad tip

Nice one, looks like it panned out. I should have held on I guess.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm thinking of getting back in on YES for a small amount in case it doesn't go through until Monday. Any chance this happens?

And yeah I never blamed Joe Man for this. I would have made a killing in the end if it wasn't for my stupidity leaving orders open.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

always bet on joeman :dukedog:

I ate a loss on the YES that I bought a couple hours ago, but I was able to buy enough NO at 94c to make it back. Hopefully it runs to 99c quick and I can be done with it.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I'm not gloating at all but I'm definitely glad i didn't sell at a 90 percent loss. My sell orders at 98 got filled this morning.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Joe Man posted:

Wow what a bad tip

True, was a bad tip.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Wish I didn't firesell most of them. Ah well, jumped back in early enough to still make 20%.

Johnson 8% NO is looking better. Most of the high polls are going to get dropped (they've been weirdly prompt about this) and unless Big Johnson slaps down a 11"% in the next few days it'll probably resolve in No's favor. Yes is also depressed at the moment, so if you want to ride that up/feel the Johnson then that's an option too.

Don't bet on polls

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

OAquinas posted:

Wish I didn't firesell most of them. Ah well, jumped back in early enough to still make 20%.

Johnson 8% NO is looking better. Most of the high polls are going to get dropped (they've been weirdly prompt about this) and unless Big Johnson slaps down a 11"% in the next few days it'll probably resolve in No's favor. Yes is also depressed at the moment, so if you want to ride that up/feel the Johnson then that's an option too.

Don't bet on polls

betting against Johnson - in fundraising, polling, appearing in a debate, etc - has been by far my most consistently lucrative strategy on this site

wish this site existed when Ron Paul was still running for things

Baddog
May 12, 2001
gently caress yes i come back today and DWS is gone, thats loving beautiful. I didn't get 98 but I sold 800 shares@93. gently caress holding it to 100, that bitch is probably hanging on till aug 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Do you guys follow any feeds or the like to keep on top of the news? I feel like I'm not reading about these events fast enough. I'm also on the other side of the world from America and a lot of events happen when I'm asleep so I probably can't react in a timely manner at all.

• Locked thread