Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
:wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Flash trailer seems ok, though seeing Black Racer or whatever in motion looks pretty bad. Also Wally suit looks bad. Should have just went with the New52 suit. I believe N52 Wally is using old Wally's suit now thanks to Rebirth, but it just doesn't work for me.

Arrow trailer also came out and I'm already bored of the flashbacks.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxG7JR4-nCM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUrbrdZj-I4

:geno:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I didn't bother mentioning the Legends one since it barely seemed to have any new footage.

Shame Supergirl doesn't start filming until next week. Kind of dropped the ball on the planning there.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Interesting note about the Legion trailer, it actually debuted at today's Marvel Comics panel and not at a Fox/FX panel. It's also the first real Marvel/Fox co-production.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I was surprised by the fact that they referred to him as a mutant in the trailer, I assumed it would have been keeping an almost complete separation from X-Men. I still don't think its in continuity with the movies at all though and he definitely won't be Xavier's son. I just figured they would use the general idea of a dude with multiple personalities that all have superpowers.

At least they didn't make it a police procedural!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dan Stephens is a beast and I am 100% gay for that trailer.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Wow, that Arrow trailer is the first complete stinker for me. I am totally underwhelmed by Green Arrow and The Outsiders. I don't know the actor's name, but I feel like the dude playing Mad Dog has been playing a teenage punk since I was in diapers. More Felicity means it's already starting at a disadvantage. I don't recognize....uh, Not Green Arrow either. I assume I would if I read more GA books.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Barrowman's the only guy left who remembers that Comic-Con is supposed to be a hangout for nerds and not just a weekend-long press junket :sigh:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Barrowman is off the leash at ComicCon.

No cocks in the face this year so far...

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Barrowman's the only guy left who remembers that Comic-Con is supposed to be a hangout for nerds and not just a weekend-long press junket :sigh:

As much as I wish Dragoncon would get SOME exclusive stuff, that's what's kept Dragon as my number one con - it's a roughly week long nerd hangout where I see people I haven't seen in years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wyntyr posted:

As much as I wish Dragoncon would get SOME exclusive stuff, that's what's kept Dragon as my number one con - it's a roughly week long nerd hangout where I see people I haven't seen in years.

Nobody pays attention to DC. Honestly nobody in Hollywood cares about anything other than SDCC and maybe a little bit of NYCC.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rhyno posted:

Nobody pays attention to DC. Honestly nobody in Hollywood cares about anything other than SDCC and maybe a little bit of NYCC.

Isn't PAX paid attention to or is that just video games?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Isn't PAX paid attention to or is that just video games?

It's always had a more video game focus, but I think they were/are trying to expand?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Toxxupation posted:

I, alternatively, would've been absolutely fine if they cast a black dude and renamed him literally anything else because 1) Shadow's not a loving name 2) the "symbolic meaning" of the name is so goddamn on the nose it actually buries deep into your brain as you realize the totally boring and featureless main character who has absolutely no personality is actually named loving Shadow are you serious Neil Gaiman 3) seriously, a black character named Shadow are you serious. But since this project has been in development forever and they kept referring to casting "Shadow" that ship done sailed a long time ago.

In any case American Gods is actually a pretty messy at best book, not the least of which because the main character is about as interesting as unbuttered toast, so I'm not much looking forward to it. Even beyond the horrible optics of having a black dude convicted of the murder of his white wife named Shadow as that main character.

Putting aside the optics of race (and the part you misremembered catastrophically as pointed out), you're approaching Shadow from the wrong angle. He doesn't fit the "common sense" principles of characterization because he seems incomplete and too pliable, but that same incompleteness and pliability are his defining characteristics, in addition to the practical humanism that allows him to connect with others. It reflects the cultural anomia, rootlessness, and artificiality Gaiman identifies in American culture. His ambiguous racial heritage is as blunt a signifier of this as possible (it's no coincidence that the one normal human he bonds with most strongly is also of mixed race). Every other character is extremely talkative and philosophical, and defined by a strong sense of identity, but they're also always somehow stuck , like the prisoner who tries to hold up an airport to get home, Shadow's wife, and every single God. The conclusion involves rejecting the culture war gotterdammerung, and embracing both the uncertainty and freedom outside of it.

But it's really off-topic. Hell if I know how that's going to be translated onto the small screen.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 24, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

More LoT season 2 news. They're teaming up a bunch of villains (Captain Cold, Reverse Flash, Merlyn and Damien Darhk) as the Legion of Doom and bringing more JSA members into the fold. Announced but not cast yet are Stargirl, Obsidian and Dr Mid-Nite. Also for Reverse Flash they're going with Matt Letscher who I guess is just playing him from now on since the whole Flashpoint thing happened.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Black Siren is probably part of the Legion too, but not confirmed yet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's always the possibility of additional realities, plenty of Laurel's out there.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

Also for Reverse Flash they're going with Matt Letscher who I guess is just playing him from now on since the whole Flashpoint thing happened.

I don't think this has anything to do with Flashpoint and is more about Wells-Thawne being a specific disguise while he was training and manipulating Barry. They had another episode last season with Letscher and I was under the impression that he would be playing RF for whatever other instances he popped up.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

That Legion of Doom thing sounds pretty neat actually. I haven't seen the last episode of Arrow yet nor the last half of LoT but I thought I read that Cold was redeemed and sacrificed himself or something

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Flashpoint. I ain't gotta explain poo poo.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Why is Wally going by Kid Flash? He looks about 22.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

Black Siren is probably part of the Legion too, but not confirmed yet.

Probably confirmed now as Katie Cassidy has signed the same deal as John Barrowman and Wentworth Miller so she'll be a regular on the all the shows.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

Probably confirmed now as Katie Cassidy has signed the same deal as John Barrowman and Wentworth Miller so she'll be a regular on the all the shows.

Yeah I just meant they haven't outright said what she's doing.

So it's still possible, though extremely unlikely, that she's Laurel still thanks to Flashpoint shenanigans.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Nah, I assume Black Siren too, considering A) the dudes with the same deal are also all villains and B) having her as a major baddie on Legends lets them get some mileage out of Sara angsting over her big sister being EVIL.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's kind of funny how in Daredevil season 2 they did all sorts of crazy no way stuff but then in the episode where the ninja's attack the hospital they used realistic grapple guns.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The CEO of Netflix was interviewed at SDCC and apparently Agent Carter was killed by... global licensing deals.

He said Netflix considered picking up Agent Carter, but Marvel and ABC had already signed international licensing deals with various companies and Netflix has a policy about having full distribution rights for all of their "original content."

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Sadness. I guess that also means its game over if SHIELD ever gets cancelled.

Speaking of AOS, apparently Whedon threw out there that the main Inhumans are now fair game for the show, which I guess confirms that the movie is dead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can't wait to see how badly they fuckup Black Bolt.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The CEO of Netflix was interviewed at SDCC and apparently Agent Carter was killed by... global licensing deals.

He said Netflix considered picking up Agent Carter, but Marvel and ABC had already signed international licensing deals with various companies and Netflix has a policy about having full distribution rights for all of their "original content."

That makes it clearer why they didn't pick up Hannibal either, which seemed like such a gimme.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How do we get a similar deal in place for AoS?

I mean seriously, how do we get rid of AoS?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Rhyno posted:

A similar deal is already going, just that AoS needs to get cancelled first and then Netflix can go "dang, can't pick it up"

and AoS can go on forever for all I care now, Robbie Reyes is already attached to it so he's not going anywhere in the real MCU so what;s the point anymore

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I can see Laurel on LoT being big. I can see how Captain Cold can be a challenging yet still grounded Arrow villain. What the hell can Merlyn add to The Flash? Like how do they engineer a story where Barry doesn't beat him up and send him packing to Star City in under 15 seconds?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

I can see Laurel on LoT being big. I can see how Captain Cold can be a challenging yet still grounded Arrow villain. What the hell can Merlyn add to The Flash? Like how do they engineer a story where Barry doesn't beat him up and send him packing to Star City in under 15 seconds?

Because Barry is an idiot and Merlyn (sigh) used to be Ra's al Ghul.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Merlyn (sigh) used to be Ra's al Ghul.

Didn't you know?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SonicRulez posted:

Wait and see, it'll be Deathstroke in Identity Crisis where he can trick Flash into running into his sword.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Rhyno posted:

Easy?

Don't watch ABC on Tuesday evenings.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

Wait one more season and ABC will axe the show. poo poo, they might do it after this year if it hits the syndication threshold.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ToastyPotato posted:

Sadness. I guess that also means its game over if SHIELD ever gets cancelled.

Speaking of AOS, apparently Whedon threw out there that the main Inhumans are now fair game for the show, which I guess confirms that the movie is dead.

gently caress. This is genuinely distressing news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wait and see, it'll be Deathstroke in Identity Crisis where he can trick Flash into running into his sword.

I already hit peak giving out mode in Arrow when they killed Laurel. I think if they do that I'll have a conniption.