Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Where are you that AT&T's coverage isn't enough? I mean I'm sure Nowhere, North Dakota might be Verizon-only country but anywhere there's running water there should be AT&T coverage.

Everywhere. Two months ago, I was in the desert in Utah. AT&T had no signal. Verizon had just over one bar. Conversely, I was in middle-of-nowhere Iowa two weeks ago, and AT&T was so strong, I was starting to think they were in everyones' fillings. Verizon had no coverage.

I spend a LOT of time in peripheral areas that are away from interstates and major cities. I carry a work phone (Verizon) and a personal phone (AT&T and T-Mobile on a Lumia 630). Depending on the particular location I am, I have to swap around networks. Since AT&T and T Mobile cross over each others' networks quite a bit, I'd love to be able to downsize into a single phone and select the network protocol that works best in that particular area by going CDMA and GSM. (Work is onboard with the option of BYODing).

Captain Yossarian posted:

I BELIEVE the ZTE axon 7 (upcoming) is both dual sim and has radios for CDMA Verizon and Sprint. Verizon still has to allow it however

According to the Best Buy pre-order page, the Axon 7 does not support CDMA providers, unfortunately. :( Thank you for your suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I think the phone you're looking for doesn't exist and is extremely unlikely to, though there's some minor hope in that Verizon is going LTE-only at some point, at which point any VoLTE-capable phone that supports their bands will work, and they legally can't lock people out of their major band, at the very least.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

T-Mobile has a prepaid $30 plan with 100 minutes, unlimited texts, 5 GB of data. Not sure you'll do too much better than that.

Thank you, this looks pretty phenomenal. Do you know how one would find the activation kit outside of wal-mart?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

net cafe scandal posted:

Thank you, this looks pretty phenomenal. Do you know how one would find the activation kit outside of wal-mart?
Last I checked it was on the T-Mobile website, just really hidden. You should be able to get it in a T-Mobile corporate store as well.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I think the phone you're looking for doesn't exist and is extremely unlikely to, though there's some minor hope in that Verizon is going LTE-only at some point, at which point any VoLTE-capable phone that supports their bands will work, and they legally can't lock people out of their major band, at the very least.

I kinda assumed that, but since I don't follow smart phones I figured I could at least ask in case there was some fringe product out there that would work.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

net cafe scandal posted:

https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/sim-card

also, https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/other-prepaid-plans

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Arsten posted:

I kinda assumed that, but since I don't follow smart phones I figured I could at least ask in case there was some fringe product out there that would work.

Discussion on a discussion board? Well that's just crazy talk.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
What's the best android phone available on Verizon? I need to trade my Moto X in, and want to stick with an Android.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Country/Provider: Kansas City, KS, USA.
Current contract status: Out of contract, for a long rear end time now.
Budget (phone/plan): Wife has a group plan with T-Mobile so I want to get an Android phone for $200 or less so I can switch to her plan to reduce both our monthly phone bills.
Features I know I want: Needs to play pokemon go.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Crossposting from the Android thread:

As of tomorrow, new egg is selling the 32gb 6P for 399$ with a 25$ gift card and other stuff- is this a decent deal? I'm coming from a Nexus 6, so I'm ok with the size

I suppose I could also get an axon 7? 400$ is pretty much my target

I would like to stick with an Android phone, and I'm using the 20gb a month Cricket plan

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SquadronROE posted:

What's the best android phone available on Verizon? I need to trade my Moto X in, and want to stick with an Android.

Probably the Galaxy S7. The Droid Force is coming out in a week, but it's pretty equivalent. Also look at the Nexus 6P.

LLSix posted:

Country/Provider: Kansas City, KS, USA.
Current contract status: Out of contract, for a long rear end time now.
Budget (phone/plan): Wife has a group plan with T-Mobile so I want to get an Android phone for $200 or less so I can switch to her plan to reduce both our monthly phone bills.
Features I know I want: Needs to play pokemon go.

Nexus 5X.

Captain Yossarian posted:

Crossposting from the Android thread:

As of tomorrow, new egg is selling the 32gb 6P for 399$ with a 25$ gift card and other stuff- is this a decent deal? I'm coming from a Nexus 6, so I'm ok with the size

I suppose I could also get an axon 7? 400$ is pretty much my target

I would like to stick with an Android phone, and I'm using the 20gb a month Cricket plan

That sounds like a good price.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
I want a new phone to replace my Note 3, which has served me faithfully for the last three years, but its Snapdragon 800 SOC is showing its age.

The rumors for the upcoming Note 7 doesn't look promising. I do not like the curved edges, and the lack of a removable battery is a deal killer.

But no other phone I've seen has a pressure-sensitive stylus, which I've found to be extremely useful.

Any ideas?

Country/Provider: USA/StraightTalk (ATT MVNO)

Current contract status: None

Budget (phone/plan): $700

Features I know I want:
* Large screen (6" or very close to it)
* Stylus w pressure sensitive digitizer
* Removable battery
* MicroSD slot

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Unless LG makes something I'm unaware of, I don't think your phone exists.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Endless Mike posted:

Unless LG makes something I'm unaware of, I don't think your phone exists.

:(

I just want an updated version of my Note 3! Why do they have to take out useful features (removable battery) and add useless ones (curved edge that makes the screen crack 1000% more often)?!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sincx posted:

:(

I just want an updated version of my Note 3! Why do they have to take out useful features (removable battery) and add useless ones (curved edge that makes the screen crack 1000% more often)?!

You can always join the world of iPhone. The battery isn't removable, and I never really wish that it was. Also, you get this thing called "software updates" for your phone for the next few years.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

sincx posted:

I want a new phone to replace my Note 3, which has served me faithfully for the last three years, but its Snapdragon 800 SOC is showing its age.

The rumors for the upcoming Note 7 doesn't look promising. I do not like the curved edges, and the lack of a removable battery is a deal killer.

But no other phone I've seen has a pressure-sensitive stylus, which I've found to be extremely useful.

Any ideas?

Country/Provider: USA/StraightTalk (ATT MVNO)

Current contract status: None

Budget (phone/plan): $700

Features I know I want:
* Large screen (6" or very close to it)
* Stylus w pressure sensitive digitizer
* Removable battery
* MicroSD slot

Sounds like the Note 7 has everything you want except the removable battery. Unfortunately removable batteries are going the way of the hardware keyboard. You will not find a phone as good as the Note 7 with a removable battery, much less a comparable stylus.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
There must be something obvious I'm missing with this Galaxy S7 Edge, because the battery life I'm getting is terrible but the reviews I've read say it's supposed to be awesome.

Any ideas?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the battery life is bad for everyone and the reviewers have stockholm syndrome

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Blue Train posted:

the battery life is bad for everyone and the reviewers have stockholm syndrome

Seriously? Then what the gently caress? I thought this was the "phone to buy if money is no object." Everything I read online literally says "this is the best smart phone currently on the market".

This is only my 2nd smartphone, my first was Droid Turbo 1, which I found to be pretty good with a few exceptions, but it had decent enough battery life.

I feel like I must be missing something for not liking this phone as much as everyone else seems to but battery life is kind of a priority for me so I'm starting to consider getting a different phone, though I'm already passed my ridiculously short 14-day return policy, but, hell, the battery life I'm getting isn't anywhere as advertised so maybe I could return it as defective and get something else, not sure if verizon would be up for that.

I still feel like there must be some setting that I screwed up somewhere because I'm finding it hard to believe the battery life is this bad on my phone. But out of curiosity what other phones have better battery life?

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Friend of mine is in London for a couple weeks and has a really shoddy internet connection where she's staying.

Would be nice if she could get some burner internet card with prepaid data. Would be doubly nice if it was on Amazon or something so I could just have it shipped to where she's staying, 'cause it's kinda a drag to do poo poo like that while you're on vacation.

Any advice?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

Seriously? Then what the gently caress? I thought this was the "phone to buy if money is no object." Everything I read online literally says "this is the best smart phone currently on the market".

This is only my 2nd smartphone, my first was Droid Turbo 1, which I found to be pretty good with a few exceptions, but it had decent enough battery life.

I feel like I must be missing something for not liking this phone as much as everyone else seems to but battery life is kind of a priority for me so I'm starting to consider getting a different phone, though I'm already passed my ridiculously short 14-day return policy, but, hell, the battery life I'm getting isn't anywhere as advertised so maybe I could return it as defective and get something else, not sure if verizon would be up for that.

I still feel like there must be some setting that I screwed up somewhere because I'm finding it hard to believe the battery life is this bad on my phone. But out of curiosity what other phones have better battery life?

Define short battery life? Also, have you checked the actual battery settings on the phone? Is the screen brightness all the way up? Sometimes it is either screen brightness or a bad app. For example, Pokemon sometimes can really drain battery life, although I think that got better after the last update.

Verizon won't exchange it unless you're right on the end of the return policy, like day 15 or 16 or something like that. Personally, I don't think there's a better phone anyway, and the only new phone is the droid force, which is getting mixed reviews.

Eikre posted:

Friend of mine is in London for a couple weeks and has a really shoddy internet connection where she's staying.

Would be nice if she could get some burner internet card with prepaid data. Would be doubly nice if it was on Amazon or something so I could just have it shipped to where she's staying, 'cause it's kinda a drag to do poo poo like that while you're on vacation.

Any advice?

I mean, if she wants a data connection she has to go to a place that sells them and buy them. I would imagine there pretty prevalent in London, so it probably won't take that long. The only thing is if she is using a phone for said data connection her phone has to be unlocked, then she can just buy a prepaid SIM.

I don't know carriers in the UK at all, so I can't help there.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 25, 2016

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

There are two versions, one uses a snapdragon CPU and the other exynos. The snapdragon one is the one that drains battery more than it should so maybe you got one of them

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So now my question becomes: Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Eikre posted:

Any advice?

When I was over there I just walked into a shop and bought a SIM for like 10GBP.

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm shopping around for a new plan with more data.

I'm in the USA. I'm on a shared Verizon plan with my mom. She managed to grandfather unlimited data but I have 2 gb a month which isn't enough. I'm hesitant to change our plan because she will lose the unlimited even tho the new plan would overall be cheaper.

I have a verizon branded S7 which I'm paying for monthly (I could pay it all but wasn't planning on switching when I got the phone a few months ago.) Can i finish paying for it and keep it with a new carrier? How does that work? I want to keep an S7 one way or the other.

My husband has plan with AT&T so that's a maybe. Talk and trying isn't important and I rarely leave the Phoenix metropolitan area.

Thanks in advance.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

you would need to pay it off then call Verizon and have them unlock it, should be good to go on another carrier then, assuming it supports GSM bands (I think it does)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blue Train posted:

you would need to pay it off then call Verizon and have them unlock it, should be good to go on another carrier then, assuming it supports GSM bands (I think it does)

Verizon phones are already unlocked.

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So it doesn't really matter that it has some Verizon apps and branding on it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not really, no, as long as it supports the LTE bands for whatever you switch to.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I'm using the 2nd gen Moto G and I like it, however it's getting slower and slower. No surprise, since it's already a couple of years old. I'd like to replace it, but I'm not sure which phone I want. I could just buy the new Moto G (there are 2 versions, as far as I can tell, one has a better camera + finger print sensor, but that's it).
Or you could give me some alternatives :) I don't want a huge phone and I'd like it to be below €300. That's about it really. Although I really like the notification LED on my current phone, so if there are other phones that have that, that'd be great too.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Not sure if this is the right thread. I'm trying to get my sister who lives in the UK a Nexus 6p. However, google store first of all keeps redirecting me to my country's store, and second won't accept orders where the billing address of the credit card and shipping address are different.

Is there anyway I can get her this phone via Google (as it's more expensive on Amazon.co.uk) short of sending her the money and just having her order it over there? I'd really like it to be a surprise.

It needs to be unlocked, so no plans.

Edit: Ended up going through clove.co.uk. More expensive though...

Edit2: Turns out clove is out of stock lol. Looks like I'll just write her a check and it won't be a surprise. Oh well.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 26, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

beedeebee posted:

I'm using the 2nd gen Moto G and I like it, however it's getting slower and slower. No surprise, since it's already a couple of years old. I'd like to replace it, but I'm not sure which phone I want. I could just buy the new Moto G (there are 2 versions, as far as I can tell, one has a better camera + finger print sensor, but that's it).
Or you could give me some alternatives :) I don't want a huge phone and I'd like it to be below €300. That's about it really. Although I really like the notification LED on my current phone, so if there are other phones that have that, that'd be great too.

I don't know how cheap a Nexus 5x is in Euroland but that's probably what you want. If you don't care about updates the new Moto G also might work but I don't know if it has a notification LED.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread. I'm trying to get my sister who lives in the UK a Nexus 6p. However, google store first of all keeps redirecting me to my country's store, and second won't accept orders where the billing address of the credit card and shipping address are different.

Is there anyway I can get her this phone via Google (as it's more expensive on Amazon.co.uk) short of sending her the money and just having her order it over there? I'd really like it to be a surprise.

It needs to be unlocked, so no plans.

My guess is probably not.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

LLSix posted:

Where can you get a Nexus 5x for $200? T-Mobile doesn't carry them, Google lists them at $350 and even Amazon sells them at $240 - $300.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

the new Moto G also might work but I don't know if it has a notification LED.

it does not and is also huge, like 6x3 imches

that said, its still a good phone

e: 153 x 76.6 for europe

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LLSix posted:

Where can you get a Nexus 5x for $200? T-Mobile doesn't carry them, Google lists them at $350 and even Amazon sells them at $240 - $300.

you can get them cheaper by signing up for google fi then cancelling

you could just use google fi seeing as you already use tmobile too

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LLSix posted:

Well you can get one through Project Fi then cancel but I think it still comes to around $230. If you want a phone for cheap really your best bet is the Moto G or the Nexus 5x.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

LastInLine posted:

I don't know how cheap a Nexus 5x is in Euroland but that's probably what you want. If you don't care about updates the new Moto G also might work but I don't know if it has a notification LED.

Ok, I'll check it out. I've looked around and the 3 phones I got on my shortlist right now are the Nexus 5x, Huawei P9 Lite or the new Moto G.
I'll go and hold them in a store to see just how huge a 5,5 inch screen really is.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

beedeebee posted:

Ok, I'll check it out. I've looked around and the 3 phones I got on my shortlist right now are the Nexus 5x, Huawei P9 Lite or the new Moto G.
I'll go and hold them in a store to see just how huge a 5,5 inch screen really is.

Worth mentioning Moto is now owned by Lenovo. The Moto G used to be a great series because it was cheap but would get good software update support. They still aren't necessarily bad phones, but Lenovo is def not showing the same track record on phone support that Moto showed beforehand.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm getting a new phone and the two options that look best to me are the Moto G4 and Samsung J5 - any opinions on which is the better phone? They both seem to have good reviews and will cost me about the same. I don't really want to pay a lot so I'm looking at these as they're pretty cheap, I don't really need anything particularly powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

All things considered equal, I'd get the one that just came out versus the year-old one. Budget phones already have shorter lifespans than flagship phones, and you probably don't want to get one a year into that.