Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

HighwireAct posted:

also I love the fact that Sonic Mania is basically a SEGA-sanctioned fangame

I can't trust sonic team to make a good 2d sonic to save their life and it seems like they got the dream team to make this one.

Like when I saw the dude who ported sonic cd to iOS I was immediately sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jsor posted:

I really wish the Sonic 1 and 2 iOS/Android ports came to PC (or PS4 or Wii U or 3DS or really any other system I have). While I've heard good things about the virtual controller, at the same time, gently caress virtual controllers.

Plug phone into TV, get Bluetooth controller. The game will hide the onscreen controller if you connect a real one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jsor posted:

I really wish the Sonic 1 and 2 iOS/Android ports came to PC (or PS4 or Wii U or 3DS or really any other system I have). While I've heard good things about the virtual controller, at the same time, gently caress virtual controllers.

The 3D Classics Sonic 1 and 2 are also really good versions.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I don't know how the artist nailed Sonic CD so hard, but drat, this really sounds like something from Sonic CD.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Plug phone into TV, get Bluetooth controller. The game will hide the onscreen controller if you connect a real one.

Windows Phone here. :( It would cost them the grand sum of nothing to dump it on the store for Windows 10 though, since the engine already runs on Windows.

I still have Sonic CD at least, and Bluestacks if I want to run 1 and 2 on PC.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIMCQrGgbEB/

What zone's music is playing the background of this.

It's really bothering me that I can't remember.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That's the Pyramid Cave tune from Sonic Adventure 2.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome

Yorkshire Tea posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIMCQrGgbEB/

What zone's music is playing the background of this.

It's really bothering me that I can't remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPcDv-tYVW0

I haven't played a sonic game in a long rear end (the most "recent" one I played was SA2 I guess) time but Sonic Mania looks like what I have wanted for like 20 years, holy poo poo finally thank you sega

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah this sounds straight out of something like nights or chaotix so whoever's doing the music is the reincarnation of sonic team circa early to mid 90s.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I've watched the Sonic Mania trailer at least 20 times. It's a really good trailer. I really, really like the pacing of it and its music.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSBX1UkWmus

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Windows Phone here. :( It would cost them the grand sum of nothing to dump it on the store for Windows 10 though, since the engine already runs on Windows.

It'd cost them paying Whitehead more for the port to an extra platform (even though it's effectively already completed), so there's not much incentive not to just stick with the emulated ones, since they're not the embarrassment the phone emulated versions were.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

"And his arms of blue or tan"

:vince: I AM loving SLAIN

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

DID SOMEONE SAY EGGMAN'S SONIC ADVENTURE THEME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PBSxpOlvaM

Haha holy poo poo. Mike Pollock really seems to love to play Eggman and I respect that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

MikeJF posted:

It'd cost them paying Whitehead more for the port to an extra platform (even though it's effectively already completed), so there's not much incentive not to just stick with the emulated ones, since they're not the embarrassment the phone emulated versions were.

Yyyeeaah, Windows doesn't have the emulated versions either. This platform is a harsh mistress. Although the trailer for Sonic Mania doesn't explicitly state Steam, just PC, so the Windows Store could be a possibility this time around.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh, I meant windows as in PC, via Steam. But same deal; to get the ports onto Windows Phone would mean yet another platform contract for Sonic 1/2, and presumably they looked at the Sonic CD sales and went 'nup'.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
I can't wait to play as Knuckles in a normal Sonic stage for the first time since the 90s

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kulkasha posted:

I can't wait to play as Knuckles in a normal Sonic stage for the first time since the 90s

Sonic Advance 1, 2 and 3 came out in the 00s

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Sonic Advance 1, 2 and 3 came out in the 00s

please don't.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
The Advance games are good games. Well, Sonic Advance 2 is basically it's own thing but the other ones are more normal.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Sega loves re-re-re-releasing the Genesis games so I always figured they would port the new versions to PS4.

Still waiting though :(

Too bad you have to buy expensive controllers specifically for Apple TVs :(

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

Sega loves re-re-re-releasing the Genesis games so I always figured they would port the new versions to PS4.

Still waiting though :(

Too bad you have to buy expensive controllers specifically for Apple TVs :(

Christian Whitehead's Sonic 1,2,CD stuff are on the PS3/360/steam/android/ios

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm not so sure about that. Advance 3's level design I don't like at all and 2's where the hold right to win complaints about Sonic come from, even though I kind of like that game. Advance 1 is a genuinely fun game though and I wish they built off that more in future games.

beep by grandpa posted:

I thought his Sonic 1 and 2 stuff were only on Android and iOS and only Sonic CD got ported to other consoles besides phones?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Kikas posted:

"And his arms of blue or tan"

:vince: I AM loving SLAIN

I'm telling you man, I would pay money for an Ap that just let Mike Pollok do Eggman gags wherever and whenever he wanted.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

beep by grandpa posted:

Pretty sure only CD is on Steam, 1&2 are just emulations.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

This gave me such a Sonic CD and Knuckles' Chaotix vibe that I started to play Knuckles' Chaotix again since I play CD last year. I noticed that when I was playing I when you lose rings they fly to the screen just like Sonic Mania. Am also kind of hoping that Mighty , Vector, Espio and Charmy are playable as secert unlocks. I love power boosting with Vector and walking on walls and ceilings with Espio. Or have Botanic Base or Marina Madness as a retro stage.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
People constantly say the Advance games are good and I'm genuinely curious if everyone is just collectively trying to pull a big practical joke on me.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Macaluso posted:

People constantly say the Advance games are good and I'm genuinely curious if everyone is just collectively trying to pull a big practical joke on me.

I can understand not liking Advance 2 and 3 but what didn't you like about 1?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I found the screen size to be too small to enjoy the Advance games.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

No they are good game especial Advance 3.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jarogue posted:

This gave me such a Sonic CD and Knuckles' Chaotix vibe that I started to play Knuckles' Chaotix again since I play CD last year. I noticed that when I was playing I when you lose rings they fly to the screen just like Sonic Mania. Am also kind of hoping that Mighty , Vector, Espio and Charmy are playable as secert unlocks. I love power boosting with Vector and walking on walls and ceilings with Espio. Or have Botanic Base or Marina Madness as a retro stage.

charmy was op tho. i liked espio a lot and he had the coolest spin. marina madness had the sickest tune.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I can understand not liking Advance 2 and 3 but what didn't you like about 1?

I didn't think the gameplay was fun in any of them and I hated how they looked

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
To celebrate Sonic's 25th I am going to link a cool remix in here once a day for 25 days. Rules are they have to be fan remixes, no official SEGA stuff. I'll try and spread it out a bit but a fair few are going to be from OCRemix. Hell I could link most of the songs from the Sonic CD remix album they put out. Instead I'm only going to do one, for now.

#1 Undertow to Leatow - Andy Turnstall
Sonic CD - Tidal Tempest JP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fSMD9Jku7w

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Macaluso posted:

I didn't think the gameplay was fun in any of them and I hated how they looked

i agree.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

A Sonic fan, confused why someone would like complete garbage. :ironicat:

edit: Locust, you should check out this dude as well, particularly his classic/modern remixes of Dead Line and Chaos Angel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGfN122qHyZu68JypmKiCbg/videos

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 24, 2016

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

To celebrate Sonic's 25th I am going to link a cool remix in here once a day for 25 days. Rules are they have to be fan remixes, no official SEGA stuff. I'll try and spread it out a bit but a fair few are going to be from OCRemix. Hell I could link most of the songs from the Sonic CD remix album they put out. Instead I'm only going to do one, for now.

#1 Undertow to Leatow - Andy Turnstall
Sonic CD - Tidal Tempest JP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fSMD9Jku7w

I love this remix of Hydrocity Zone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O7xA7xG478

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

meh not as great as station square

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Macaluso posted:

No, they're good.

Advance 2 is fun, but it's not the same kind of platformer as the old games, much like the Sonic Rush which makes the distinction more clear. They are more speed focused where it's the main type of play (as opposed to being just the ideal type of way to play form before). The levels are full of actually neat gimmicks and beyond Hot Crater involve lots of tricky movement to get good at the levels. It's mostly just the first 2 zones where they have long segments of Hold Right without throwing much in the players way, but even those have their own cool spectacle. The bosses are the worst thing cause of how janky they can be due to ju,ping momentum getting finicky with constant running, but they mostly have fun designs which is something since usually all Sonic 2D bosses don't even have that (aside from a couple from S3&K I guess). Getting the Special Rings to unlock Special stages is a bit of a chore but mostly just requires you to go on specific alternate paths that aren't too out of the way in one run. And the special stages are pretty fun + easy which is nice. Final Boss is okay at best.

Advance 3 avoids 90% of the speed focused gameplay of Advance 2 and has even stronger emphasis on unique gimmicks per act. At worst they are a little maze like but for the most part the levels are winding and fun, usually about the same length as a Sonic 3&K stage but slightly shorter (Chaos Angel Act 2 aside). Some of the gimmicks are pretty bad (Toy Kingdom's dumb jack-in-the-box springs) but mostly they are okay. The different team combinations you can use all have surprisingly varying effects that can actually matter, and it's a lot of fun to experiment around with stuff you never used before. The bosses are all pretty okay with the exception of Cyber Track's boss which has to be up there for one of the worst 2D boss fights of the entire franchise. Getting the Chao to unlock the Special Stages sucks hard, but at least the Special Stages are pretty cool and not too bad with kickin music. Final boss is really cool if a bit awkward.

Advance 1 is kind of okay, mostly doesn't do anything too special or new but the levels are pretty short and sweet in design which is all you need. Really bad special stages is about the worst thing the game does. The game is a pretty safe bet all things considered.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

smell this posted:

meh not as great as station square

I can't remember the station square music right now but the ooOoooooOooooo from Mystic Ruins immediately jumped into my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i love the tag team mechanics from advance 3 but the level design is pretty bad

• Locked thread