Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

identity49 posted:

I updated my Lumia Icon to WP10, seems pretty alright except now I can't browse my music files through my car's (Mazda) infotainment system. There has to be a way to fix this, right? My googling hasn't turned up anything yet.

That's a Bluetooth profile thing I think . Did you re-pair it to the car or is it still using the old pairing? You might also try re-pairing it with the Bluetooth advanced checkbox toggled to see if that helps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bluetooth_profiles#Audio.2FVideo_Remote_Control_Profile_.28AVRCP.29 this might be the one. Perhaps in upgrading they took a step back in terms of profiles, but I'm told the last few builds that are supposed to be released soon are supposed to have more Bluetooth profile support.

http://mspoweruser.com/windows-10-mobile-anniversary-update-will-upgrade-bluetooth-stack/

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
I just updated my 1520 to WP10. A lot of my pins are now busted so fixing those. I used to pin webpages to my start screen and it would show a little thumbnail of the webpage. Has that thumbnail rendering been done away with?

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

What's the current favoured podcasting app for WP10? I've been using Podcast Lounge, but that doesn't synch reliably or download files for offline play without being prompted and babysat. Just bought Podcast+ Pro off the store, but that seemingly won't even install - not sure if that's the app or the shittiness of the Windows app store. Any good alternatives?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Podcast+ Pro is great, but I'm not sure why it isn't installing for you.

Amazon still creates a proper website tile and Steam still creates a live tile, some seem to be broken though and I'm not sure why.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Podcast+ Pro is great, but I'm not sure why it isn't installing for you.

Me neither. Error 0x8e5e0408. I'm guessing it's a store issue on the grounds that a) other people seem to be able to use the app, and b) the store is just catastrophically loving awful in every imaginable respect. I'll keep trying with it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Pipski posted:

What's the current favoured podcasting app for WP10? I've been using Podcast Lounge, but that doesn't synch reliably or download files for offline play without being prompted and babysat. Just bought Podcast+ Pro off the store, but that seemingly won't even install - not sure if that's the app or the shittiness of the Windows app store. Any good alternatives?

Pocketcasts is my go to across platforms

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Pipski posted:

I tried a bunch of them but ultimately settled on the built-in Podcasts app. It worked for a bunch of podcasts the others didn't, and had the least cluttered UI.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

I also second the in-built Podcasts app, I've never had a problem with it, even with some obscure podcasts.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Rip Testes posted:

I just updated my 1520 to WP10. A lot of my pins are now busted so fixing those. I used to pin webpages to my start screen and it would show a little thumbnail of the webpage. Has that thumbnail rendering been done away with?

Great news! I pin a lot of contactgroups to my start screen and after each update I have to repin everything. I wonder how it will be for websites.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

I'm having trouble with Cortana not working with Groove very well on WP10.

With my old WP8 phone I used to be able to say "play [artist]/[album]/[song]" and it would start playing that, now it just does a search for whatever I ask for. I've seen a few other people get this but I can't seem to find a fix. Anyone else have this problem?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

SpaceCommie posted:

I'm having trouble with Cortana not working with Groove very well on WP10.

With my old WP8 phone I used to be able to say "play [artist]/[album]/[song]" and it would start playing that, now it just does a search for whatever I ask for. I've seen a few other people get this but I can't seem to find a fix. Anyone else have this problem?

Are you running anniversary update builds or stock wm10? They fixed some of the issues for the preview builds.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

wookieepelt posted:

Are you running anniversary update builds or stock wm10? They fixed some of the issues for the preview builds.

I'm just running stock currently. It's good to know fixes are incoming.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Random update: Messenger is slow as poo poo on stock W10M (640), can't pin Twitter or Messenger to my lock screen.

I'm basically waiting to jump ship to an iPhone as soon as I can convince myself that paying that much for a phone is okay. My last three phones were: Focus, 920, and 640. All but the 640 were paid for by someone else, and that only cost $80. W10M has just been one frustrating thing after another, and now that I don't even own an MS Band, I have zero reason to stick with this ecosystem :smith:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Current fast ring builds run as smooth as butter on the 640, so you might want to give them a go if you're sick of the current release.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Facebook Messenger is built using some Facebook-internal cross-platform layer though, derived from the iOS version of the app. It is not smooth even on the 950 so I doubt it'll ever get really pleasing on a 640. Sad times, but oh well.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Chasiubao posted:

Random update: Messenger is slow as poo poo on stock W10M (640), can't pin Twitter or Messenger to my lock screen.

I'm basically waiting to jump ship to an iPhone as soon as I can convince myself that paying that much for a phone is okay. My last three phones were: Focus, 920, and 640. All but the 640 were paid for by someone else, and that only cost $80. W10M has just been one frustrating thing after another, and now that I don't even own an MS Band, I have zero reason to stick with this ecosystem :smith:

Have you thought about trying an entry level or midrange Android phone? iPhones are nice devices but very expensive; some affordable Android devices are surprisingly decent and the app ecosystem is tremendous, especially coming from Windows Phone/10 Mobile.

I used Windows Phone for 2.5 years, from January 2012 to July 2014. I had WP 7.5 on the Nokia Lumia 800, and 8/8.1 on an HTC 8X. Though I loved the OS itself to begin with, I gradually because more frustrated with the app ecosystem debacle and the glacial pace of the OS development. Seeing others using Google Now or knowing how easily they expected most apps to be available wore me down.

I eventually got a Moto G 1st gen for about £100 and never looked back. A lot of people rave about live tiles but they pale in comparison to widgets. The performance was far and above the price point had any right to provide. I stopped wondering when apps would be available or what third party apps were reasonable substitutes. I was getting feature parity with friends that I hadn't had in years.

Since then I've had a Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact, and am now on a Samsung Galaxy S7. All these devices have been far superior to the Windows devices.

I find iOS quite boring and Apple's hardware much too expensive, but if you want to leave Windows Mobile behind, there are a lot of options that won't cost you two mortgage payments.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Have you thought about trying an entry level or midrange Android phone? iPhones are nice devices but very expensive; some affordable Android devices are surprisingly decent and the app ecosystem is tremendous, especially coming from Windows Phone/10 Mobile.

I used Windows Phone for 2.5 years, from January 2012 to July 2014. I had WP 7.5 on the Nokia Lumia 800, and 8/8.1 on an HTC 8X. Though I loved the OS itself to begin with, I gradually because more frustrated with the app ecosystem debacle and the glacial pace of the OS development. Seeing others using Google Now or knowing how easily they expected most apps to be available wore me down.

I eventually got a Moto G 1st gen for about £100 and never looked back. A lot of people rave about live tiles but they pale in comparison to widgets. The performance was far and above the price point had any right to provide. I stopped wondering when apps would be available or what third party apps were reasonable substitutes. I was getting feature parity with friends that I hadn't had in years.

Since then I've had a Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact, and am now on a Samsung Galaxy S7. All these devices have been far superior to the Windows devices.

I find iOS quite boring and Apple's hardware much too expensive, but if you want to leave Windows Mobile behind, there are a lot of options that won't cost you two mortgage payments.

I considered Android briefly, but I've heard and read too many horror stories about not receiving security updates (or any updates), and terrible OEM crap. It's basically down to WP or iOS for me.

New W10M funtimes: I got an notification from my phone that I was near my monthly data limit. Which considering it's 23 GB, is amazing since it's only just halfway through the billing cycle. W10M thought I'd managed to use 20 GB of data in about 17 days, give or take. Took it into an ATT store and was told I'd actually used about 7 GB. Good job, data sense!

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Chasiubao posted:

New W10M funtimes: I got an notification from my phone that I was near my monthly data limit. Which considering it's 23 GB, is amazing since it's only just halfway through the billing cycle. W10M thought I'd managed to use 20 GB of data in about 17 days, give or take. Took it into an ATT store and was told I'd actually used about 7 GB. Good job, data sense!

I had the same problem on 8.1, my phone used to think I'd gone through my limit when I know I hadn't as I had no warning texts and I double-checked in the store. Turned it off after that.

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum

Rip Testes posted:

Don't know if this is common knowledge, but you should definitely reset your phone after the update. Clears up the sticky lag you get from pulling down the notifications/quick actions area and makes everything snappier. Probably helps with battery life too. It made W10 Mobile feel like 8.1; the difference was night and day after living with the update for two weeks.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Do you send a lot of MMS? I suspect data sense is counting MMSes towards the cap even though AT&T doesn't.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Do you send a lot of MMS? I suspect data sense is counting MMSes towards the cap even though AT&T doesn't.

Not particularly, but even if I did, I'm not sure I could send 13 GB of them :psyduck:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So for anyone that desperately wants to play Pokemon Go on Windows 10 Mobile, here's a really complicated way (more so if you don't have an iOS or Android device to initially set up the game) to get a third-party, open-source app installed and running.
http://www.windowscentral.com/pokemon-go-windows-10-mobile-right-now

Obviously it's rough around the edges as it's a beta but this is actually pretty cool. I wonder how long it'll last before Niantic tries to shut it down.

EDIT: Well that sadly lasted about as long as I expected.
http://www.windowscentral.com/pogo-uwp-beta-does-not-currently-work-due-api-changes-niantic

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 6, 2016

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Chasiubao posted:

I considered Android briefly, but I've heard and read too many horror stories about not receiving security updates (or any updates), and terrible OEM crap. It's basically down to WP or iOS for me.

Android wouldn't be too bad in that respect if you confined yourself to nexus phones. The store still has huge issues with malware/shitware though, since they don't have actual people reviewing each app before it goes up. Apple also enforces quality standards in its apps.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
So I'm going ahead and switching from the TMob Goon Plan for something with more minutes. There is a complication. Dual SIM 950:

SUMMARY:

Work SIM: TMob business, set as my data SIM, plenty data;
Personal SIM: currently on Goon Plan, completely broken for MMSes despite the usual fast.t-mobile settings, switching to unlimited talk/txt only as I don't use it for data and could do with more than 100 minutes.

QUESTIONS:

1. if I select a no-data plan for my personal ($25 unlimited talk/txt w/ TMob), will I still get MMSes on my personal SIM?
2. I'm on a Dual SIM 950 which is inconsistent with MMSes on my personal line at the best of times despite messing around with APN settings. (My previous 640 was better but needed active clicking on "Download Message" to get MMSes, including images and groups. The 950 does nothing on clicking "Download Message"). Is anyone else on a dual SIM 950 with MMS issues on the non-data SIM?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
WTF, I got a 950, and am trying to add my gmail account, and google's stupid website keeps saying my browser isn't supported. WTF.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

CharlesM posted:

WTF, I got a 950, and am trying to add my gmail account, and google's stupid website keeps saying my browser isn't supported. WTF.

Happens every now and then. It's either Google trolling or Microsoft broke something. Should fix itself in a few days.

windowsphone.txt

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Right now I have a Lumia 635 (512 mb ram) and have been considering about upgrading to a Lumia 640 - or any phone that will support Windows 10, really. But I'm not really getting the impression that Windows mobile is going to survive the next year. Am I wrong, or should I just throw my hands up and go to Android/iPhone? If I do stick with Windows phone, is the 640 a good choice or should is there another phone out there that's as good/better?

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

kurona_bright posted:

Right now I have a Lumia 635 (512 mb ram) and have been considering about upgrading to a Lumia 640 - or any phone that will support Windows 10, really. But I'm not really getting the impression that Windows mobile is going to survive the next year. Am I wrong, or should I just throw my hands up and go to Android/iPhone? If I do stick with Windows phone, is the 640 a good choice or should is there another phone out there that's as good/better?

Have you looked at the 650? I don't know what the pricing is like though, I know a 640 is super duper cheap in the states though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Windows 10 Mobile isn't going to die in the next year, so I wouldn't worry there. The 640 is your best bet if you're in the US, but if you're in the UK then the 650 is now £10 cheaper than the 640, and will probably be my next phone if no better option in that price range presents itself.

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Windows 10 Mobile isn't going to die in the next year, so I wouldn't worry there. The 640 is your best bet if you're in the US, but if you're in the UK then the 650 is now £10 cheaper than the 640, and will probably be my next phone if no better option in that price range presents itself.

Where? Because it's the reverse everywhere I have looked.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Mr Funkface posted:

So I'm going ahead and switching from the TMob Goon Plan for something with more minutes. There is a complication. Dual SIM 950:

SUMMARY:

Work SIM: TMob business, set as my data SIM, plenty data;
Personal SIM: currently on Goon Plan, completely broken for MMSes despite the usual fast.t-mobile settings, switching to unlimited talk/txt only as I don't use it for data and could do with more than 100 minutes.

QUESTIONS:

1. if I select a no-data plan for my personal ($25 unlimited talk/txt w/ TMob), will I still get MMSes on my personal SIM?
2. I'm on a Dual SIM 950 which is inconsistent with MMSes on my personal line at the best of times despite messing around with APN settings. (My previous 640 was better but needed active clicking on "Download Message" to get MMSes, including images and groups. The 950 does nothing on clicking "Download Message"). Is anyone else on a dual SIM 950 with MMS issues on the non-data SIM?

I had MMS problems on my 950 on Tmo. I restored a win8 backup to it. When I added the APN settings, I was able to get MMS to work, but only on 4g, not on LTE. The good news is that if I then deleted the MMS APN settings that I added, that seemed to clear out whatever garbage got restored from win8 and everything works fine now.

The main things that still bug me right now are
1. You can't pin multiple locations from the weather app to the home screen
2. When I get a calendar invitation in my email (happens all the time), it doesn't show my calendar and any conflicts inline in the message. I have to click "view calendar" and it switches apps. MS is sure great about taking dumb steps back with every new OS revision.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Microsoft Store, but it looks like they've since dropped the price of the 640 as well, so thanks for making a liar of me Microsoft. :mad:

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Br[wwwrqrq

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

smr posted:

Br[wwwrqrq

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

smr posted:

Br[wwwrqrq

I too am gay

in other news, what's the general opinion on the 650? I can't afford the 950XL (no contracts when I last checked, cant afford outright) and the 950 looks visually awful.

It's a toss up between the 650 and the Nexus 5X, especially as it turns out I can almost have a better Microsoft experience on an Android/iOS device.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Okay, good to know that Windows mobile is not currently on its deathbed. I think I'll get the 640 - but where should I buy it? All the microsoft store seems to have is the XL version. Amazon has an unlocked 640 for ~$84, is that a good price?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
My mom has a 950 and is sick of the poor quality apps. She's thinking about switching to ios because my sister, her husband and my wife all have and love the iPhone. At one point my whole family was using Windows 8.1 devices. It's really hard to feel like the platform isn't on its deathbed. I get that Microsoft is playing the long game by focusing on enterprise, but they need to figure this poo poo out because I'm not looking forward to using an Android or iPhone.

identity49
Nov 29, 2007
Well, upgrading my Lumia Icon to WP10 has killed any love I had for Windows Phone.

I can no longer:
A) conveniently listen to music in my car via Bluetooth
B) scan QR codes (without downloading garbage/paid third party apps)
C) send/receive picture messages
D) send/receive group texts
E) take photos without a 5+ second delay from pressing the button
F) pin photos app to start screen
G) stay under 3gb/mo with same usage habits that incurred <2gb/mo using WP 8.1
H) go more than 6 hours without having to charge the phone's battery
I) differentiate between notification types when in vibrate mode

I'm sure the list would just get longer with time, were I willing to keep using the phone.

It was a good run.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
FYI the "can't add a google account" mystery is apparently solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

identity49 posted:

G) stay under 3gb/mo with same usage habits that incurred <2gb/mo using WP 8.1

10 has a similar setting to what caused a bunch of iPhone users to kill a bunch of data after an ios update recently because it would use the cell network when WiFi was "weak" . It's on by default, and you've got to manually turn it off.