Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

steinrokkan posted:

how about making cheaper movies

Dear God I hope mid tier sci-fi movies will come back. Judge Dredd, Edge of Tomorrow, Oblivion, even a Chappie every now and then.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
so whats the week 2 intake for goobusters 2016

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Drunken Baker posted:

They're always moving the goalposts. Deadpool had that UFC woman in it kicking rear end but that doesn't count because she was hot and had cleavage. It also had Negasonic Teenage Warhead kicking rear end but that didn't count because she's hot and didn't have enough screen time and I can guarantee they didn't like whatshername from Firefly "being in peril"... Also she was hot.

They? Who are they? Some random straw-womyn... But I dunno, maybe e-mail whoever wrote that piece and ask why none of the above counts as examples of strong women in film.

I think the point that person was trying to make was in how the movie allowed a group of women to just be people. It's a good point, except for how they were constantly bringing attention to the fact that "we're ladies yall! deal with it!" Also the movie was very bad because the characters were unlikable and inhuman in their interactions, like no one in the world acts like those people or makes those decisions. The film had no character and no characters. It was bad and I hope that Paul Fieg gets beat with broom handles if he ever tries to make another $150,000,000 movie where they just "improvise the dialog, lol. Who needs writers ne way!?"

The character of Walter Peck, the bit part EPA guy in Ghostbusters '84, has more character than any of the leads in this reboot. IDK. Was it intentional? Was Chris Hemsworth's vapid, useless, walking-billboard character supposed to represent the attitude of modern day NYC the way that Annie Potts was dripping with 80s New York attitude as Janine? Was Ghostbusters 2016 hatemail for NYC the way 1984's was a love letter? I'm getting way off track. Point is - Hire writers, let ladies be people, don't remake a movie that belongs to a time and a place, hire writers, and most importantly, make sure that you have paid professional writers to script your big budget Hollywood film.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
A very courageous and inspirational $89.5 million.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Microwaves Mom posted:

21 mil total for the weekend according to BOM.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

laverne cox doesnt bhave poo poo on tim curry

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

gb merch is doing abysmal

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

21 mil total for the weekend according to BOM.

So 67 million total domestic?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Ork of Fiction posted:

Was Chris Hemsworth's vapid, useless, walking-billboard character supposed to represent the attitude of modern day NYC the way that Annie Potts was dripping with 80s New York attitude as Janine?
There's been arguments saying that Hemsworth's Kevin character is a play on how women minor characters are vapid and useless. Mainly "Now you know how we feel when female characters are just eye candy in a film!' poo poo.

That said the one joke that made me laugh the most was when Kevin held up 2 glossy portrait photos of himself half naked & holding a saxophone, asking, "Which is better? Me playing the saxophone or me listing to the saxophone?" The joke is that the latter photo is him holding the saxophone to his ear.

Yeah, I laugh at dadjokes.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Microwaves Mom posted:

from what i heard, it will end up somewhere between third place and fifth place in box office intake

Android Bicyclist posted:

There's been arguments saying that Hemsworth's Kevin character is a play on how women minor characters are vapid and useless. Mainly "Now you know how we feel when female characters are just eye candy in a film!' poo poo.
considering how much contempt Feig has for much of the original audience, this is probably what he was going for

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

That said the one joke that made me laugh the most was when Kevin held up 2 glossy portrait photos of himself half naked & holding a saxophone, asking, "Which is better? Me playing the saxophone or me listing to the saxophone?" The joke is that the latter photo is him holding the saxophone to his ear.

Yeah, I laugh at dadjokes.

that'll teach men to put bimbos in other movies

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZZW47ntEYI

Even super grumpen grote people say GB2016 isn't an awful movie. I don't understand, how can it be doing so bad? Is it really due to the horrible marketing it got in the form of trailers and Feig's whining?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Oh, God. I got back from GB2106 and some random thoughts:

-Is the new official title/subtitle "Ghostbusters: Answer the Call"? The credits of the film say "GB: Answer the Call" and the poster outside the theater pretty much says the same thing. I sort of wonder if this is in part to allow them to help further distance this from doing a reboot in a few more years. I'm looking foward to seeing if the home video release makes GB:ATC more front and center.
-The main bad guy looked frighteningly like John Belushi which given some other overt things in the film I can't help but wonder if it wasn't intentional.
-I thought this would be 'okay' with bits of greatness, but it feels like a post-GB 1980s wacky comedy that you would have seen on Up All Night in the early 90s.

Meanwhile, I also got back from Star Trek Beyond:

-It feels like it's missing about 20 minutes of material to flesh out the story and the new characters a bit, it all seems to happen way too quick. It's almost crossing over from good to great, just feels a bit lacking. It's a drat sight better than Into Darkness, though.
-This REALLY feels like it was the sort of rebooted WoK-inspired film and character that Into Darkness tried and failed at. You could have make the main baddie of this film into Khan if he'd had some greater backstory development in the film and a few tweaks to the story.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

[/spoiler]

When's the last time Paul Feig watched a movie or a TV show, 1961?

I'm not saying these types of characters don't exist anymore, just that it hasn't been a serious issue in a long loving time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Paladinus posted:

Even super grumpen grote people say GB2016 isn't an awful movie. I don't understand, how can it be doing so bad? Is it really due to the horrible marketing it got in the form of trailers and Feig's whining?

The CineD is pretty much the only place online where people seem to be responding positively at all, and even those clowns tend to inadvertently drat the film with faint praise.

Also I think nobody outside the US + Canada gives a flying gently caress about Ghostbusters in general, so greenlighting it at all was probably a pretty bad move, fiscally.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Father Wendigo posted:

It's actually in a three way tie for third between Ice Age (which flopped) and Lights Out (which has had little to no marketing outside of generally positive reviews.) Star Trek is also having the lowest opening of the three in the series.

It's been a rough year for theaters. What's the next bomb in the pipeline, anyway?

Lights Out is a fantastic movie first of all, if you like horror you should go see it. Secondly, like you said it had little to no marketing. Finally, it had a budget of $4.9m and according to Box Office Mojo it's made almost $30m worldwide. I'd say that's pretty good especially since it's only been out 3 days and a lot of it is probably going to come from word of mouth more than advertisements.

Edit: New Ghostbusters is #3 in the Ghostbusters franchise right now apparently.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=ghostbusters.htm

Cowman fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 24, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Paladinus posted:

It's not doing badly for a Feig comedy movie. It's on par in terms of what those usually pull in. But it has an action movie budget so lol at that.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

steinrokkan posted:

The CineD is pretty much the only place online where people seem to be responding positively at all, and even those clowns tend to inadvertently drat the film with faint praise.

Also I think nobody outside the US + Canada gives a flying gently caress about Ghostbusters in general, so greenlighting it at all was probably a pretty bad move, fiscally.

I'm pretty sure it's relatively big in Russian speaking countries. They even showed all the cartoons and stuff.

By the way, saw a Russian TV ad for the movie, and it was suspiciously light on showing female leads. Maybe 50% of it was dedicated to Kevin.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Even R.I.P.D. is relatively popular in Russia.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

JediTalentAgent posted:

Even R.I.P.D. is relatively popular in Russia.

who cares what is popular in Russia?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

There's now articles going around saying the GB merchandise is selling better than expected. Right, when the toys got put on clearance by automated inventory management systems before the movie was even released, it's obviously selling beyond expectations. Then Target gets called out in the press for putting them on clearance, and says it was a mistake. I bet Target is pissed at Mattel for putting them in this position with unsellable product, and Mattel is pissed at Sony for screwing up their merchandising with their terrible marketing.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

If you want to watch a Ghostbusters movie, you can pay cinema prices to watch a mediocre remake or under a fiver to get a DVD of the original off Amazon. I think a lot of it just comes down to that. Cinema ticket prices are too high to go and watch something that even positive reviews are saying is just ok.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Sunswipe posted:

If you want to watch a Ghostbusters movie, you can pay cinema prices to watch a mediocre remake or under a fiver to get a DVD of the original off Amazon. I think a lot of it just comes down to that. Cinema ticket prices are too high to go and watch something that even positive reviews are saying is just ok.

You'd think theaters overall would be struggling since every other person these days has the sort of HOME THEATER rich assholes with laserdiscs would've drooled over 20 years ago.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

Why not do both?
I've seen some Wal-marts that I think if you buy the original film for like $7-10 you get a GB iron-on patch and a discount code for seeing the new movie in theaters.

I think they also have a little metal lunch box thing for $10 that comes with a bunch of codes for free digital copies of the original movie, digital copies of episodes of the animated series, money off buying a DVD copy of the original/new film, and $5 off a ticket code for the new film.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

JediTalentAgent posted:

Why not do both?
I've seen some Wal-marts that I think if you buy the original film for like $7-10 you get a GB iron-on patch and a discount code for seeing the new movie in theaters.

I think they also have a little metal lunch box thing for $10 that comes with a bunch of codes for free digital copies of the original movie, digital copies of episodes of the animated series, money off buying a DVD copy of the original/new film, and $5 off a ticket code for the new film.

it cost about $20 to see a new film

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ghostbusters/52286692

I didn't like the movie, but I feel the need to buy this because it exists.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

it cost about $20 to see a new film

For once I'm lucky where I live. Most showtimes in my area are no more than $10.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

JediTalentAgent posted:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ghostbusters/52286692

I didn't like the movie, but I feel the need to buy this because it exists.

man, they dont even know about the old ghostbusters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DuseyorgTY

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Apparently both 80s and new GB are going to have Golden Books coming out in Sept.:

https://www.amazon.com/Ghostbusters-Little-Golden-Book/dp/1524714895/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7J9YCXH74EW4V7GD4B63

quote:

For over 30 years the original Ghostbusters movie has been giving fans of all ages laugh-out-loud thrills and chills. Now, for the first time ever, boys and girls ages 3 to 7 can enjoy the classic Ghostbusters in a lighthearted Little Golden Book retelling that will introduce them to Slimer, Ecto-1, and, of course, the Ghostbusters!

We need to correct that to "grown rear end adults between the ages of 33 and 47 buying kitsch modern memorabilia from their childhoods"

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

In all the trailers and stills and whatnot Wiig looks like she's really bored and annoyed and just doesn't want to be there. Does she come across that way in the actual film?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

who cares what is popular in Russia?

I would say Sony execs, but then I realized that Russians probably don't add much to the box office earnings since they're all about the :filez:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

There's another King Kong remake coming out, starring black actor guy and Fred flint stone

You search for it, but I can tell you right now after watching the trailer: it's gonna suck

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

DoctorStrangelove posted:

In all the trailers and stills and whatnot Wiig looks like she's really bored and annoyed and just doesn't want to be there. Does she come across that way in the actual film?

that's her schtick in every film she's ever made

it's funny, see, because she's a woman, and

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I would say Sony execs, but then I realized that Russians probably don't add much to the box office earnings since they're all about the :filez:

:)

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Don Tacorleone posted:

There's another King Kong remake coming out, starring black actor guy and Fred flint stone

You search for it, but I can tell you right now after watching the trailer: it's gonna suck

no jack black? It's gonna suck.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

They actually do lately, especially for spectacular big budget films or wacky comedies. I believe the reason Ice Age still exists as a franchise is solely that it got popular in Russia thanks to local popular comedians doing the voices in the dubbed version.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I wonder if Batman and Doctor Strange ever met while they were both doing their origin story in the Himalayas.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Germstore posted:

I wonder if Batman and Doctor Strange ever met while they were both doing their origin story in the Himalayas.

in gotham strange murdered batman's parents. So I'm pretty sure that would be an awkward situation.

Also I have to say Disney has really avoided the remakes that hollywood does. THat's a surprise.

Wonder when they'll remake wizard of oz.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Don Tacorleone posted:

Also they embiggened Kong so he's capable of taking on Godzilla in the upcoming crossover, because you can't make an action movie without it being part of a shared universe these days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E591L_sxw-k

As a fan of the original Japanese King Kong Versus Godzilla I appreciate their subtle nod to the classic in making this new Kong look like a man in a suit. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Microwaves Mom posted:

Also I have to say Disney has really avoided the remakes that hollywood does. THat's a surprise.

Wonder when they'll remake wizard of oz.

They are making movie sequels/prequels/remakes to their cartoons instead. Oz the Great and Powerful, Maleficent, Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella, The Jungle Book. I'm pretty sure that at least half of those aren't very good.

Also, their Pirates of the Caribbean franchise already has at least two sequels too many. Maybe more, because I'm not sure how many are there at this point.

Oh, and Lone Ranger, of course, was a masterfully done remake of some stupid show from the 50s, lol.

• Locked thread