Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rirse posted:

I imagine 2K is only holding on with the money Rockstar has to give them for being their publisher.

And all the Sid Meier stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I haven't played it, probably never will, but it is remarkable the sheer amount of venom Battleborne gets for daring to be similar to a Blizzard product.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BGrifter posted:

I haven't played it, probably never will, but it is remarkable the sheer amount of venom Battleborne gets for daring to be similar to a Blizzard product.

Blizzard sucks even worse but they're better at marketing

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Battleborn is a hobby grade experience.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its a 45 minute long team game with no checkpoint game overs in PvE and moba style dead man walking losses that people just quit out of in PvP.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
its not as much that "oh its like overwatch", it's more that Battleborn is specifically an FPS MOBA, or at least trying incredibly way too hard to be one.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

shmee posted:

Like, whoever had the idea that all missions should be 45 minutes long with no checkpoints is an idiot.

I haven't played Battleborn but most mobas required you to play at least 40+ minutes with no breaks so maybe they were assuming people playing Battleborn would be used to it? The really long match times is one of the reasons I stopped playing that genre

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Lakbay posted:

I haven't played Battleborn but most mobas required you to play at least 40+ minutes with no breaks so maybe they were assuming people playing Battleborn would be used to it? The really long match times is one of the reasons I stopped playing that genre

I suppose so, but to enforce it even in the single player campaign is frustrating. It's also what stops me picking this game up when I have a spare hour, as I don't want to do that and achieve nothing. Which says a lot seeing as I actually enjoy the gameplay for the most part.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lakbay posted:

right but fps players are not necessarily moba players so when you make an fps structured moba you need to make it short and like a CS round to cater to the expectations of the genre. 10-12 minutes absolute max per game imo

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Real hurthling! posted:

right but fps players are not necessarily moba players so when you make an fps structured moba you need to make it short and like a CS round to cater to the expectations of the genre. 10-12 minutes absolute max per game imo

I agree with this completely I'm just trying to rationalize why they made it that way in Battleborn.

I'd rather get stomped in four 10-minute shooter matches than play a losing 40-minute moba match.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

No multiplayer game should ever last more than 10 minutes IMO. Ideally in short 99 or 60 second bursts but I'm biased :grin:

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Kirios posted:

Can't remember anything recently that was more of a bust than Battleborn. It's impressive to see a game flop as badly as it. Evolve level, even.

Remember Brink? I know it's not recent, but it died fast.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

No multiplayer game should ever last more than 10 minutes IMO. Ideally in short 99 or 60 second bursts but I'm biased :grin:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rirse posted:

I imagine 2K is only holding on with the money Rockstar has to give them for being their publisher.

NBA 2k is one of the biggest franchises in gaming.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

wtf i bought battleborn deluxe at like 3am last night. oh god no
less harm than a drunken tattoo or something, but you're still going to feel that shame

Shnag posted:

Poor battleborn, doesn't seem like the game was even that bad playing the beta.
mainly i just felt it had too much poo poo going on at once

BGrifter posted:

barely similar, in that you have a lot of different characters and it's an FPS

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

NBA 2k is one of the biggest franchises in gaming.

And I bet GTA Online kicks the poo poo out of it in revenue.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

In Training posted:

Splatoon is like crack because the matches are 3 minutes. By the time the stage's background song finishes it's second chorus, you've got like 30 seconds left.

I've never played multiplayer shooters before to the extent that I've played Splatoon and Overwatch.

It's also important that these games respect your time and give you xp/money just for playing, win/lose.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Rudoku posted:

Remember Brink? I know it's not recent, but it died fast.

A lot of goons fell for the Brink hype so they like to pretend it never existed. I remember seeing copies in the shameful Wal-Mart bargain bin when it was only a year old.

JazzFlight posted:

Splatoon is like crack because the matches are 3 minutes. By the time the stage's background song finishes it's second chorus, you've got like 30 seconds left.

Splatoon's Rainmaker mode is the best iteration of that FPS gameplay mode because if you're good a match will end in 20~30 seconds. It's a shame that you couldn't pick specific gamemodes to play outside of turf war (unless they changed that recently).

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 24, 2016

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

CrashCat posted:

barely similar, in that you have a lot of different characters and it's an FPS

This is the best part. It's barely similar, but they actually intentionally drew comparisons between their product and a much better one. The head developer of Battleborn was apparently all over twitter talking poo poo on Overwatch

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Also they tried to overlap Overwatch's release date with a 3x exp event. No idea how that deliberate idiocy went.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I just finished a level of Battleborn. It's... alright? Like a sluggish Borderlands 2. I didn't love BL2 like most people so I'd say they're pretty close in quality.

jabro posted:

And I bet GTA Online kicks the poo poo out of it in revenue.

Yeah but people go insane with sports micro dlc too.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

I just finished a level of Battleborn. It's... alright? Like a sluggish Borderlands 2. I didn't love BL2 like most people so I'd say they're pretty close in quality.

This was the first thing I noticed. It just feels really slow.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

shmee posted:

This was the first thing I noticed. It just feels really slow.

Interesting, I thought it might be just me since I am a regular RS Siege player and turn the turning radius speed way up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

I've never played multiplayer shooters before to the extent that I've played Splatoon and Overwatch.

It's also important that these games respect your time and give you xp/money just for playing, win/lose.

Splatoon was awesome in both casual and ranked mode

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Whoever ran the Battleborn twitter fired a 'COME AT ME BRO' shot at Overwatch before the games came out, which basically invited comparisons between the games even if they're not that similar. It's sort of like if Rise of the Tomb Raider did that to Fallout 4 simply because they shared a release date.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I disagree that Battleborne and Overwatch are dissimilar. Considering most FPS's is just american shooting foreigners, both games being FPS's with a cast of cartoonish characters with locked in weapons and abilities is pretty significant. If Battleborne was just PvsP with out the mook killing, they'd be the same game.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Rirse posted:

GTAV being one of the biggest-selling games of all time, GTA online making them a billion dollars, Borderlands, Bioshock and Civ games all being huge hits, plus NBA 2K being the most popular sports games.

Yeah I imagine they're about to go bankrupt.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Shnag posted:

I disagree that Battleborne and Overwatch are dissimilar. Considering most FPS's is just american shooting foreigners, both games being FPS's with a cast of cartoonish characters with locked in weapons and abilities is pretty significant. If Battleborne was just PvsP with out the mook killing, they'd be the same game.

Okay

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Someone post the tweet of Pitchford or whoever trying to describe Battleborn.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ometeotl posted:

Someone post the tweet of Pitchford or whoever trying to describe Battleborn.

https://twitter.com/duvalmagic/status/486550022910005248

https://twitter.com/battleborn/status/706956858460741632

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Shnag posted:

"If they change the kind of game it is, it'd be the same kind of game"

Alright

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I got InFamous: Second Son not too long ago on special, so far it's been fun enough. First Light is on special through tomorrow, should I get it for $9? Quick check of reviews is pretty mixed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you liked Second Son it's more of the same with the best power set in the game, it's pretty good. It's a prequel and expects you've already finished the game though, so there's a bunch of spoilers if you care about that at all.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

kalensc posted:

I got InFamous: Second Son not too long ago on special, so far it's been fun enough. First Light is on special through tomorrow, should I get it for $9? Quick check of reviews is pretty mixed.

I never played Second Son, but I got First Light on PS+ and enjoyed it. there's a chance you might get burnt out on the formula coming straight off of Second Son I guess, but I think most people around here thought it was good

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
No matter how you slice it, First Light is worth $9 easily so just go for it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

axleblaze posted:

No matter how you slice it, First Light is worth $9 easily
i didnt like it very much but if you enjoy the infamous gameplay its more of that

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Well, hobby-grade seems about right

Like the guy who clumsily glues a bunch of model parts together and it works like crap

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
If you like infamous buy it, if you don't don't.

If you like second son you will more likely than not enjoy first light.

If you like second son, you would likely have also enjoyed infamous 1 2 and festival of blood.

There were so QOL changes but it's easily one of the most solid original super hero/power IP's that are pretty well done, and I'm excited for whatever they do next. I wish they were working on the spiderman game but insomniac will probably do good too.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Comic posted:

"If they change the kind of game it is, it'd be the same kind of game"

Alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FElmjlzdSSM&t=129s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
seriously what did he even mean to convey with "hobby-grade"?

• Locked thread