Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

You know the talk of changing Jay Garricks helmet makes me think about Superman's cape. Sure some designs go about adding a logo on the cape but most adaptions prefer to not touch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Well sure, you don't tug on Superman's cape.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

Lurdiak posted:

Hey, it's straight from the horse's mouth. They designed it to look slapped together and dumb, and never intended for him to wear it longer than a handful of issues, until marketing said "Wowee zowee, people love this Scarlet Spider! Postpone the passing of the torch and give him his own book!"

Wow. Learn something new everyday. Thanks!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TokenTrevor posted:

Wow. Learn something new everyday. Thanks!

If you ever have a day or two to waste, you should read up on the behind the scenes of the Clone Saga.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

Lurdiak posted:

If you ever have a day or two to waste, you should read up on the behind the scenes of the Clone Saga.

Please, I'm at work...

I have MUCH more than a day or two to waste. I have an entire career to waste!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

There's some kind of crazy anti-logic at work about Spidey starting off as a pro wrestler and his clone looking like a backyard wrestler that just works in like a Bizarro-of-the-90s way.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

muscles like this? posted:

It was supposed to be absolute hell to wear though. Apparently the costumes were hard to put on and take off and after Shipp put it on he couldn't take it off until they were done filming for the day. It was also completely suffocating to wear and didn't breathe at all so he says he was constantly sick from wearing it.
Also, if i remember my early 90s lore well enough, it was made out of some kind of latex foam rubber to give it that texture bulging muscles feel, so there was constant, constant maintenance needed on the damned thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

McSpanky posted:

There's some kind of crazy anti-logic at work about Spidey starting off as a pro wrestler and his clone looking like a backyard wrestler that just works in like a Bizarro-of-the-90s way.

Now I'm disappointed CZW or Hoodslam doesn't have a Scarlet Spider.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

FilthyImp posted:

Also, if i remember my early 90s lore well enough, it was made out of some kind of latex foam rubber to give it that texture bulging muscles feel, so there was constant, constant maintenance needed on the damned thing.

After the last day of filming, he ripped off the costumes ear ornaments in celebration of not having to wear it again. Mark Hamill scooped them up, and kept them as a trophy. Dude really loves playing the Trickster.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hamill is just a huge comic nerd in general.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ghostlight posted:

Hamill is just a huge comic nerd in general.

He's so cool and awesome.

:allears:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

prefect posted:

That's just how he gets around London. It's inconvenient for Daisy though.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

Wow, Zizek's looking great these days

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

prefect posted:

He really is.

It's pretty common for an actor to end up kinda bitter and angry because one film (or series of films) they made 30 years ago overshadows the rest of their career (oftentimes being the only thing people ever want to talk to them about); so it really stands out when you find someone like Mark Hamill, who not only has a healthy sense of humor about but actually seems to enjoy being nerd Jesus and hanging out with the fans.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I totally agree, Mark Hamill is cool and awesome.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
From what I've heard, Hamil had extremely modest expectations for his career to begin with and could never have guessed people would pay boatloads of cash for his autograph in 2016.

Plus, he's also got the Joker gig locked down pretty tight.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Well now The Flash is a power ranger and Cyborg "looks like an Nvidia card".

I also like the inclusion of inexplicable robo-abs on the Batfleck costume. Can he move his head in that, by the way?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I like Aquaman's Pentadent

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I like how they are all terribly photoshopped in (unless this isn't an official picture)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DarkCrawler posted:

I like how they are all terribly photoshopped in (unless this isn't an official picture)

It is, but that doesn't mean they aren't still terribly photoshopped in.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Go to the movie poster thread, and you'll quickly learn that for some reason it's impossible to get a group photo of a cast for a marketing effort.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 24, 2016

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Travis343 posted:

It is, but that doesn't mean they aren't still terribly photoshopped in.

Yeah I just meant that if some 12-year old fan put that together in a hour I'm not expecting any better

but lol DC/WB

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah I just meant that if some 12-year old fan put that together in a hour I'm not expecting any better

but lol DC/WB

It's 2016, fans on the Internet are better at this than graphic designers at multibillion dollar companies.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

VagueRant posted:

I also like the inclusion of inexplicable robo-abs on the Batfleck costume. Can he move his head in that, by the way?

The Flash looks a lot like Netflix Daredevil. Glad Superman seems to have a brighter costume this time, though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Travis343 posted:

It's 2016, fans on the Internet are better at this than graphic designers at multibillion dollar companies.

I really do think that there's a mandate at DC to target the 8-16 boy demographic above absolutely all else and it's hamstringing a lot of talented people. I'm not saying that to be salty or poo poo on DCEU stuff, it's just the distinct impression I get when I watch literally any frame of footage they've ever shot.

From "Man of Steel" to "Batman v Superman" to the new "Wonder Woman" and "Justice League" trailers I think-- "Wow 12 year-old me and my guy friends fresh off of The Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One would be really into it" in the same way that 12 year-old me was into other distinctly pre-adolescent stuff like Dragonball Z and Bionicle. Stuff that is overdesigned, overtly macho, trying way too hard to be seen as adult and tough and cool, and prioritizing a vaguely futuristic design without any real sense of function.

At this point I'm resigned that that's just the tack Warner Bros. wants to take, and thus far they've been just successful enough that I doubt they're going to change course, but it's never not going to be weird to me that out of the big two the one with Ant-Man, Hawkeye, and the Falcon are consistently cooler-looking than the entire roster of the Justice League.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Travis343 posted:

Because "fans" don't have to deal with contracts or agents saying that this person needs to be the same size as that person or this name needs to go first.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Go to the movie poster thread, and you'll quickly learn that for some reason it's impossible to get a group photo of a cast for a marketing effort.

Cavill doesn't want to wait around while they grease Affleck into his.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

VagueRant posted:

Flash - full body costume
Superman - full body costume
Cyborg - full body costume
Wonder Woman - corset/"skirt"/thigh-high boots
Batman - full body costume
Aquaman - full body costume

Good job DC/WB, keep up the good work. :sigh:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
flash's overdesigned costume reminds me of what's been shown of the power rangers 2017 movie, probably not THAT bad though

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

C. Everett Koop posted:

They should have kept the shirtless look for Aquaman from the first promo pick, it looks better than this full armor.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I like how nearly a decade after Marvel proved you don't need to put sculpted abs on superhero suits we've got an entire fleet of dudes with them. Ok granted we have one character who rocks the ab look:

But I think we can all agree that's close to the bottom looks of Marvel Studios costumes.

Ok yes, they want to break up the torso visually so it doesn't look like Arnold in the Running Man:

But there are ways to do it that don't look so..... Liefeld/MacFarlane

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

mind the walrus posted:

I like how nearly a decade after Marvel proved you don't need to put sculpted abs on superhero suits we've got an entire fleet of dudes with them. Ok granted we have one character who rocks the ab look:

The worst part is that they added them to the Batman suit, the BvS version was pretty much perfect other than it could've used a bit more contrast in between the black and grey.

I know they have to change them between movies to sell new merch/toys (although they kept the same suit between TDK and TDKR) but there's other things they could've done.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

C. Everett Koop posted:

How else would guys know she's the token dame without showing off her gams???

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
You could justify ab armor for dudes who, like Batman or DD, go up against goons with knives.

I really can't stand, though, overly sculpted muscles on certain heroes. Like the 90's TV flash. Dude should be built like a marathon runner not a power lifter.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're not sculpted abs, all of them have abs so hard the metal of their costumes tightens around them.

Also according to my poll of 100% women respondents, all agree that Wonder Woman's costume is cool and good and that the pants ones are always worse.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Also according to my poll of 100% women respondents, all agree that Wonder Woman's costume is cool and good and that the pants ones are always worse.

Hoplite skirt > Bathing suit > Pants

It's not about sex appeal, it just doesn't quite work visually to convey "old-old-old school warrior"

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Dacap is right, they should have kept Aquaman half dressed. They did this during the New52 initial launch too, though WW had pants in that, she was still the only one in the entire lineup with more than her face exposed. Oh, and Superman's hands.

Suicide Squad being 3/3 exposed midriffs on the female characters (who show up in marketing materials) actually made me laugh it's so predictable.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can see Harley's shirt is actually long enough in a lot of the footage too, so it's hiked up for the promo shots.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Solenna posted:

Dacap is right, they should have kept Aquaman half dressed. They did this during the New52 initial launch too, though WW had pants in that, she was still the only one in the entire lineup with more than her face exposed. Oh, and Superman's hands.

Suicide Squad being 3/3 exposed midriffs on the female characters (who show up in marketing materials) actually made me laugh it's so predictable.

I have a theory and that theory is that Zack Snyder sucks real bad.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Aphrodite posted:

It always amazed me that there was a large amount of people who thought that Adrianne Palicki in really tight pants was some sort of vengeful feminist conspiracy. I'm ok with any feminists who conspired to have that happen, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Aphrodite posted:

My wife loving loves that version of Wonder Woman, but her main issue with WW's design is the total lack of boob support.

• Locked thread