Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The thing that keeps striking me about that is that he's wearing socks. Shoes would make sense, barefoot I could understand, but he's in socks! Why would you worsen your traction like that?

Maybe he's not very smart? Just thinking out loud here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Also lol, the air conditioning is running and the plastic is all puffed up. The vent is in the ceiling. Who knows what is coming up through the floor.

edit- this is what it looked like before we bought the house, so that stripe is old

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 22, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

drat Packers.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

you did save the clay matthews fathead, right

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
So at one of my agency's buildings (no where near me, thankfully), a water fountain was being replaced yesterday.
The plumber removed the old fountain and the p trap yesterday and then left for the day. This building is staffed 24/7 (and must be for reasons). So this pipe has been venting sewer gas into the building since yesterday afternoon.
The staff apparently stuck a rag down the pipe which reduced but did not eliminate the smell.
State government people.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

nm posted:

So at one of my agency's buildings (no where near me, thankfully), a water fountain was being replaced yesterday.
The plumber removed the old fountain and the p trap yesterday and then left for the day. This building is staffed 24/7 (and must be for reasons). So this pipe has been venting sewer gas into the building since yesterday afternoon.
The staff apparently stuck a rag down the pipe which reduced but did not eliminate the smell.
State government people.

you're lucky they had a budget for a rag

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

They didn't, they just pulled the rag out from another project.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

FogHelmut posted:

I have no idea what it is. It's in two of the bedrooms. Maybe 5" or 6" from top to bottom. It's got some chunky seemingly random patching, and built up paint lines at the top and bottom. I scraped down what I could, and am just making a smooth transition over it so theres no weird shadows or anything. The walls are all textured, so I'm just going to blend it all in with more texture spray.
Some people put horizontal bands around their rooms, with wallpaper below and painting above. Had to deal with that in our spare bedroom - it's a bugger to get off. Something like this, only uglier:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Wolfsbane posted:

Some people put horizontal bands around their rooms, with wallpaper below and painting above. Had to deal with that in our spare bedroom - it's a bugger to get off. Something like this, only uglier:

Yeah those dinosaurs are pretty rad

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I wish I saved a picture. Imagine gold, dark red and olive green vertical stripes, topped by a horizontal rope/curtain motif. The rest of the room was painted pink.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

nm posted:

State government people.

When my in-laws were building their house (while living in it) the people installing the washing machine just left an open sewer gas leaking pipe right in the kitchen. They complained it made the whole house smell like sewer, the workers hated it too and for weeks would complain the dish washer guy still hasn't come. I arrived, saw the pipe, jammed a nearly perfectly fitting piece of foam insulation in there, and everyone just stood dumbfounded that they never thought of that. The smell went away within a couple hours. But the were dealing with it for WEEKS and never thought to just put something over it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I'm sure it was an employee's from home.
We don't have budgets for rags.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

I have no idea what it is. It's in two of the bedrooms. Maybe 5" or 6" from top to bottom. It's got some chunky seemingly random patching, and built up paint lines at the top and bottom. I scraped down what I could, and am just making a smooth transition over it so theres no weird shadows or anything. The walls are all textured, so I'm just going to blend it all in with more texture spray.

The other patches are all big smooth or lumpy spots where they fixed old holes but it's obvious because they didn't match the texture.

There is a big patch at the bottom where they "fixed" a hole with one of those mesh things. But again, the plaster is chunky and lumpy and there's exposed mesh. A few of the rooms seem to have this for some reason.

I think the other goons nailed it then, picture rail, especially if your house is old enough to have plaster.

nm posted:

State government people.

Try a plastic bag and a rubber band for a better seal.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

kid sinister posted:

I think the other goons nailed it then, picture rail, especially if your house is old enough to have plaster.

Its not plaster. It's 1970's Southern California tract housing. Texture sprayed on drywall.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

FogHelmut posted:

Its not plaster. It's 1970's Southern California tract housing. Texture sprayed on drywall.

SoCal? Maybe it was a manacle rail.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

kid sinister posted:

Or if there isn't enough exposed pipe for that, rags in a plastic bag stuffed into the pipe worked perfectly for me when tiling my en suite.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

FogHelmut posted:

Also lol, the air conditioning is running and the plastic is all puffed up. The vent is in the ceiling. Who knows what is coming up through the floor.

Most likely, either a wall cavity or floor cavity has a duct in it. This duct is naturally not well sealed, because most residential HVAC installers are violently allergic to anything resembling quality work, so that cavity is pressurized. That blows some air out the gap between the bottom of the drywall and the sub floor, and/or gaps in the subfloor (or maybe even through the subfloor - not all OSB is airtight).

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

FogHelmut posted:

It's a feature. The carpets will dry so much faster when you shampoo them this way, and all that pesky lint and carpet fiber is freed from it's builder's grade prison and into the wild blue yonder of your respiratory system.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Baronjutter posted:

When my in-laws were building their house (while living in it) the people installing the washing machine just left an open sewer gas leaking pipe right in the kitchen. They complained it made the whole house smell like sewer, the workers hated it too and for weeks would complain the dish washer guy still hasn't come. I arrived, saw the pipe, jammed a nearly perfectly fitting piece of foam insulation in there, and everyone just stood dumbfounded that they never thought of that. The smell went away within a couple hours. But the were dealing with it for WEEKS and never thought to just put something over it.

The dishwasher in my sister's lousy rental died a couple years ago. The handyman turned off the hot water tap (shared with the sink), removed the dishwasher, and left. Running cold water in the sink would cause some of the water to work it's way out of the dishwasher supply. This also went on for WEEKS until the new one arrived and no one involved on my sister's side knew enough to get a screw on cap for the hot tap. I didn't find out about it until the day before the new dishwasher arrived.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Twinkie Czar posted:

The dishwasher in my sister's lousy rental died a couple years ago. The handyman turned off the hot water tap (shared with the sink), removed the dishwasher, and left. Running cold water in the sink would cause some of the water to work it's way out of the dishwasher supply. This also went on for WEEKS until the new one arrived and no one involved on my sister's side knew enough to get a screw on cap for the hot tap. I didn't find out about it until the day before the new dishwasher arrived.

Backflow because it’s a mixer tap? Do I have that right?

Britain feels so validated right now. :britain:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

Backflow because it’s a mixer tap? Do I have that right?

Britain feels so validated right now. :britain:

Two words--ring mains.

Boom, now you can go back to feeling bad about your country's plethora of poor decisions

Suspect Bucket posted:

The 1905 paper's cool, do you have any bigger patches you can get pictures of? I like old wallpaper.

I thought it was pretty cool too! I was able to peel off a large swatch of the wallpaper on top, so I zoomed in for a better pic:

I think underneath is probably whitewash, and judging by the red color, I suspect the room the kitchen is in now used to be a dining room (with the kitchen in a detached building). Would explain the coffee grinder I found in the garage.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Still trying to figure this one out:

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
If you try to take the stairs from 3 to 2 do you find a locked door, forcing you to continue to 1?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Where else would it be? You wouldn't want the exit on the third floor, would you? That would mean you'd fall 2 floors to your death or at least serious injury.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I would assume it means you exit on the first floor, and not continue following the stairs to a garage or basement where you burn to death.

Unless you want to .

On the topic of vent hoods and that, mine currently has the disposable filter, which is all it takes. I replace it every so often when the colored lines disappear or whatever, which generally helps to keep the vent hood itself and the area above the outlet free from grease. However, everything else gets greasy still from the grease smoke because it is a weaksauce fan.

I'd been using one of those box fans when cooking a steak or whatever to blow the smoke out the nearby window, which works top notch. However, over time dust has clung to all the grease so the fan looks dirty as poo poo even though it is all thoroughly stuck to it. Short of spending an hour with a toothbrush and simple green to try and slowly clean it all up, is there any sort of general spray degreaser or similar (tried 409) that you could use on the plastic guard and blade to .... degrease it? Other than that I would seriously just budget to replace the stupid thing because it is arduous to try and clean it up.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My neighbors spent some absurd amount for a nice new massive (80') concrete driveway. From what I could tell, there was no dampening after the pour. It was my understanding that concrete benefits from a damp surface for a few days. Is this not needed? Depth was probably 6" or less from what I could tell.

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009

Mercury Ballistic posted:

My neighbors spent some absurd amount for a nice new massive (80') concrete driveway. From what I could tell, there was no dampening after the pour. It was my understanding that concrete benefits from a damp surface for a few days. Is this not needed? Depth was probably 6" or less from what I could tell.

They most likely used a spray on cure. It goes on as soon as they are done finishing the concrete. This alleviates the need for curing blankets, etc.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Hope that is the case, they are the type to do their homework for hiring contractors.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Partycat posted:

I would assume it means you exit on the first floor, and not continue following the stairs to a garage or basement where you burn to death.

Unless you want to .

On the topic of vent hoods and that, mine currently has the disposable filter, which is all it takes. I replace it every so often when the colored lines disappear or whatever, which generally helps to keep the vent hood itself and the area above the outlet free from grease. However, everything else gets greasy still from the grease smoke because it is a weaksauce fan.

I'd been using one of those box fans when cooking a steak or whatever to blow the smoke out the nearby window, which works top notch. However, over time dust has clung to all the grease so the fan looks dirty as poo poo even though it is all thoroughly stuck to it. Short of spending an hour with a toothbrush and simple green to try and slowly clean it all up, is there any sort of general spray degreaser or similar (tried 409) that you could use on the plastic guard and blade to .... degrease it? Other than that I would seriously just budget to replace the stupid thing because it is arduous to try and clean it up.

Maybe just use a heavy-duty/professional degreaser like Zep?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

And that is how you set your breaker panel on fire.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Bah, that bolt isn't even a little red!

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Edward_Tohr posted:

Bah, that bolt isn't even a little red!

It's not there to conduct electricity, it's there so that the breaker can't stop conducting electricity.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
When you really need to make sure power gets to whatever you happen to be doing.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Good breakers just trip internally anyway.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Do you honestly expect that someone that would do something like that, would know that?

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Partycat posted:

Unless you want to .

I'd personally work my way up the solvent strength chain, eventually you start taking the paint off things.

As a side note, you should remove that under powered fan and replace it with a stronger one. All you need to know is the size and what the DC or AC voltage is for it.

Once you do, find a stronger replacement here: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/fans/en

Make sure you call in the order over the phone too. Digikey is based out of Northern Minnesota (not that the parts are) and support a ton of people in a small community area where my father grew up. I'm in and from Minnesota and the accents from Thief River Falls make even me lol every time I do.

I replaced the janky broken fan in our $60 humidifer with a $15 high powered one. When I first started it up I fell to the floor laughing. The slowest setting is like a watching a jet engine blowing the ultrasonic mist into the room. It's not loud, just lots of flow.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Jaguars! posted:

Amazing. Do these rural places in the US allow amateurs to draw up and submit their own subdivisons? Any surveyor in NZ (and likely 90% of US jurisdictions) creating a landlock situation like that would have their license revoked immediately.

Landlocked sections are certainly a thing that exists in NZ, especially in rural areas and with Iwi land settlements. We had a ~30ha piece of land in my family up in Northland that my cousin ended up buying out the rest of the family to develop, and he's so far spent somewhere in the realms of $150k in legal fees to get an easement from the road across neighbouring land. (Because the neighbouring land is Iwi, it has to go through the Maori Land Court or something). He only needed about a 50m x 15m easement too.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Nice. Guess I was wrong. Do you know hold old the title is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Good breakers just trip internally anyway.
A lot of the time contractors will just buy the cheapest breakers possible. A previous company had breakers like that for an A/C unit, and after a power outage the breakers would trip every time because they couldn't handle the inrush current of the motors. If you forced the switch to stay in the up position for a few seconds it would be fine after that.