Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Vakal posted:

Never seemed to stop those loving spider webs from shooting through.

:science: This is how evolution works. A spider shoots its web at a wall and the spider with the right genes gets through. If it lives to procreate, especially with another one that can shoot through walls, we've got real trouble. Soldiers are attempting to evolve as well by shooting at walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

But the giant insects could not possibly have evolved faster than science?????

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Really Pants posted:

But the giant insects could not possibly have evolved faster than science?????

PROGRESS FASTER THAN SCIENCE IS IMPOSSIBLE

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
This game brings out the absolute best excited 5 year old with action figures mentality.

SelenicMartian posted:

What is being swallowed?

Eat this bullet!

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Hahah, holy poo poo Infinite Ammo Clip is soooo fun. Mirage 5-Way creates awesome beams of light. I wish the Heaven's Gate and stuff weren't grenade like so you could just spam the poo poo out of them with it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Section Z posted:

This game brings out the absolute best excited 5 year old with action figures mentality.

Eat this bullet!

We maaaaaay have done Crimson 3-4 times in a row just for the opportunity to call down double air strikes on the approaching ants and watching their little giblets fly around everywhere.

I was going to shadowplay it to make a .gif out of it but shadowplay crashed :(

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
I don't get the concept of any of the wire guns.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The wire guns were really strong in Invaders from Planet Space, because you could fire them over a whole swarm of bugs and deal continuous damage while stunlocking them. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Renegret posted:

Maybe someone should've taught them sometime in those seven years that bullets do not pierce cave walls.

They were taking 7 years of singing lessons.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I think EDF training consisted entirely of shooting at static cardboard-cutout ants on an empty level field. And shouting EDF as the rocket launchers and tanks gave that cardboard a good whooping.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

I think EDF training consisted entirely of shooting at static cardboard-cutout ants on an empty level field. And shouting EDF as the rocket launchers and tanks gave that cardboard a good whooping.

All the training you need.

EDF! EDF! EDF!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Really Pants posted:

The wire guns were really strong in Invaders from Planet Space, because you could fire them over a whole swarm of bugs and deal continuous damage while stunlocking them. That doesn't seem to be the case here.
I thought this couldn't possibly be the actual name of the game but I don't know why i ever doubted it

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I thought this couldn't possibly be the actual name of the game but I don't know why i ever doubted it

Underestimating Earth Defense Force is a bad idea.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Hmm, Cheat Engine is actually bundled with Malware.

I guess that's the price of ignoring the armour grind.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

THIS GAME IS FULL OF BUGS

Also holy crap does punching hectors never get old. They're like those inflatable boxing clowns except a few dozen meters taller and full of explosives.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

drat this game is fun. Loving the air raider and fencer so far. The others are fun too but I decided to focus on these two first.

I actually did like 3 missions on normal somehow without even knowing how to set off the limpet gun explosives. :downs:

With the fencer I actually started laughing out loud the first time I dual wielded the javelins. This game is great.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

We have the localization team to thank for that one. The Japanese version is just called EDF2 Portable V2.

Speaking of localization, I've mentioned this before but GIANT INSECTS aren't actually called giant insects in the Japanese version of 4.1, they're giant lifeforms or KYODAI SEIBUTSU. :japan:

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Renegret posted:

We maaaaaay have done Crimson 3-4 times in a row just for the opportunity to call down double air strikes on the approaching ants and watching their little giblets fly around everywhere.

I was going to shadowplay it to make a .gif out of it but shadowplay crashed :(

Just like I thought...Red Giant Insects don't surf.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
I've been trying to get that Cheatengine whatchamacallit working but I just can't make it work? I've copied the text into a .ct file but whenever I try to make it active nothing seems to be working, anyone have any tips?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

You need to open the EDF process inside CE before you can check the Active box for the script. It's the button in the upper left.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

oscarthewilde posted:

I've been trying to get that Cheatengine whatchamacallit working but I just can't make it work? I've copied the text into a .ct file but whenever I try to make it active nothing seems to be working, anyone have any tips?

activate the script while in the menu, then start a mission, pause and gently caress with the numbers as you see fit.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

InfinityComplex posted:

Hmm, Cheat Engine is actually bundled with Malware.

I guess that's the price of ignoring the armour grind.
Don't click to download it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Air Tortoise still owns once you get the first upgrade that has a reasonable lock on time.

GREAT GREEN MISSILES
FLY AWAY TO VICTORY
LAUNCH THE ALIENS TO THE SKY

EDF EDF EDF EDF!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Doc Morbid posted:

We have the localization team to thank for that one. The Japanese version is just called EDF2 Portable V2.

Speaking of localization, I've mentioned this before but GIANT INSECTS aren't actually called giant insects in the Japanese version of 4.1, they're giant lifeforms or KYODAI SEIBUTSU. :japan:

And in Planet Space they call them Buggernauts

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

dis astranagant posted:

activate the script while in the menu, then start a mission, pause and gently caress with the numbers as you see fit.

The problem is I can't seem to activate it: when I click the square nothing happens, it stays unclicked.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Pro Tip: Play Hard immediately. Ive been languishing in normal and its just not worth it. Everything is cooler on hard.

Being an air raider gets amazing on hard.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

oscarthewilde posted:

The problem is I can't seem to activate it: when I click the square nothing happens, it stays unclicked.
Square only opens the next layer if there are others. Did you click the flashing icon and clicked the game itself?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Talkc posted:

Pro Tip: Play Hard immediately. Ive been languishing in normal and its just not worth it. Everything is cooler on hard.

Being an air raider gets amazing on hard.
don't be afraid to lower the difficulty though, I refused to play on anything lower than hard in 2025 and got burned out somewhere around mission 45-50.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Scalding Coffee posted:

Square only opens the next layer if there are others. Did you click the flashing icon and clicked the game itself?

Yup, EDF41.exe is active. I can't find any reason why it's not working but for some reason whenever I try to change the value I get a warning that the first line (the enable after <AssemblerScript>) can't be compiled. Could Cheatengine be using the wrong part of the code?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How the gently caress do I play Fencer?
I kinda wobbled up to an ant, hit it with my hammer, didn't kill it and then fell over.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dash, then use whatever button uses the weapon your shield is bound to to use the shield bounce, canceling your dash recovery, then dash again. Or if you're at the ant, dash up to it, hit it with the hammer to cancel the recovery, and then dash and hit again.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Light Gun Man posted:

And in Planet Space they call them Buggernauts
In GDF they were called GIGANTORS

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Inzombiac posted:

I kinda wobbled up to an ant, hit it with my hammer, didn't kill it and then fell over.

Always Be Dashing. Except for the times when you stop to level city blocks with your shoulder mounted artillery.

Also, generally spears are better than swords or hammers due to piercing. They can royally gently caress up swarms.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Get an Air Raider bro and double fist Leviathans.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mr Phillby posted:

In GDF they were called GIGANTORS

GDF was so loving good. Still love that aesthetic.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

that sounds about right.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

InfinityComplex posted:

I don't get the concept of any of the wire guns.

They seem pretty decent in tunnels. Better than limpets anyway.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Night10194 posted:

Dash, then use whatever button uses the weapon your shield is bound to to use the shield bounce, canceling your dash recovery, then dash again. Or if you're at the ant, dash up to it, hit it with the hammer to cancel the recovery, and then dash and hit again.

If you plan on hitting something with your hammer, charge it while you dash cancel. Depending on the Hammer you could get a difference of several thousand damage from no-charge vs full charge - and on others you lose out on dozens of meters of range too in addition to the damage.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

oscarthewilde posted:

Yup, EDF41.exe is active. I can't find any reason why it's not working but for some reason whenever I try to change the value I get a warning that the first line (the enable after <AssemblerScript>) can't be compiled. Could Cheatengine be using the wrong part of the code?

After you run EDF and load the process and the script, there should be the Active box. That needs to be checked before you get in a mission. Then once you're inside a mission you can access the box numbers and change those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Inzombiac posted:

Fencers have a literal tonne of armour, so they lumber around nigh-uncontrolably. They are however my favourite class to dick about with because dual-weilding tank-grade shotguns is a thing, as is becoming a walking artillery battery. If that doesn't do it for you, I'm fond of jetting up to Hectors and stabbing their faces in with giant spears.

Always charge hammers, especially vulcan hammers.

Shields can be quite handy. Apparently good for dash-cancelling. I mostly use them to get shot by Hector pink blob guns instead of using my face for the same task.

TacticalNecromancy fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 24, 2016