Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of this opinion?
No you are wrong. Evil is good.
Correct
Correct except we SHOULD nuke it
Fats don't deserve to have opinions
View Results

• Locked thread
Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I haven't been to mass since I was confirmed/the sex scandals broke out, but I gotta confess (harr harr) that there is still a part of me that would like to swing by a mass some Sunday. The organ and choir music is always top notch, at the very least. I wish the priests had better public speaking skills, but what can you do I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I've thought about going through the trouble of becoming catholic, but what is the path to conversion like? I have real faith but my exposure to protestantism makes me sick and pope francis is a paragon right up there with how i define a good exercise of faith. the jesuits are something that just don't have a parallel in the american protestant world, nobody in these churches places any value on knowledge

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

hemophilia posted:

I've thought about going through the trouble of becoming catholic, but what is the path to conversion like? I have real faith but my exposure to protestantism makes me sick and pope francis is a paragon right up there with how i define a good exercise of faith. the jesuits are something that just don't have a parallel in the american protestant world, nobody in these churches places any value on knowledge

I think you have to burn a lot of calories to become a catholic if you're not born into it. There are classes to take, retreats to go on and once it is all complete I want to say that you need to get baptized infront of the whole community (during Christmas maybe? It has been a while).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hemophilia posted:

you have to eat a catholic and absorb their faith

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Are Irish Catholics the ones that would break a woman's hips if there were even minor complications during labor?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i once took a eucharist and grape juice at some pentecostal thing that seemed to just be a random grab bag of christian theology and i almost coughed

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

hemophilia posted:

You have to have some solid jesus and some liquid jesus and since all men are of god, some blood and a few skulls will do fine. Take those to your local bishop. Don't forget to bring money of course. Checks or cards are fine too, the church takes paper or plastic.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

hemophilia posted:

if it were me I suppose I'd go to mass, not take the eucharist, but try and catch the priest before he leaves and ask him

this may be tricky due to the priest shortage and the fact he's probably got like a half-dozen churches to go to so let the air out of his tires first

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

Who What Now posted:

Are Irish Catholics the ones that would break a woman's hips if there were even minor complications during labor?

The procedure was called symphysiotomy. It was performed in most cases without the patient's consent and often without anaesthetic. It left many women incontinent, with chronic pain particularly when they walked. When they formed a group and took the hospitals that did this to court, the state threw money at them to try to shut them up. If they didn't take the money, the state ensured the trials went on as long as possible.

An important question to ask is why did they perform these procedures when Caesarian section was a far safer option? Well these were Catholic hospitals. Sections can make it unsafe for women to have more children, especially if they had multiple sections. Who cares if these women lived in constant pain and indignity after an unwanted symphysiotomy, what was important was that they could still produce more good Catholics. As far as the good Catholic doctors were concerned these women were nothing more than incubators.

I need to stop reading this thread, this poo poo makes me so angry

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Swan Curry posted:

An important question to ask is why did they perform these procedures when Caesarian section was a far safer option?
Why do that when they could do the other-other option which is breaking their hips and then exiling them to England so they can't go back to the same men and get pregnant again and/or also hang around bringing shame and disgrace to their whole community by being an incontinent sinner who can't even really work, what a great church.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

yeah the church has an ugly past but Francis seems to be the antithesis of what you all are bitching about. It's like whining about the crimes of nations, which the Vatican has rarely ever risen to be worse than.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Pope Francis is both the catholic church and also not the catholic church (as its defenders will attest both ways).

Let's see what happens I guess.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hemophilia posted:

yeah the church has an ugly past but Francis seems to be the antithesis of what you all are bitching about. It's like whining about the crimes of nations, which the Vatican has rarely ever risen to be worse than.

That's like saying the US government doesn't summarily execute black people because Barack Obama doesn't summarily execute black people. Also no it's not and yes they have?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's like saying the US government doesn't summarily execute black people because Barack Obama doesn't summarily execute black people. Also no it's not and yes they have?

Alright whatever you need to keep whining about things nobody alive in the church had any power to stop or change

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
http://www.molleindustria.org/en/operation-pedopriest/

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
since the Catholic Church took issue with the previous radiocarbon dating of the Shroud of Turin, I strongly feel they should allow it to be re-tested. Kinda weird that they don't, since they believe it's real and all?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I don't know you guys. I think this church is kinda sexy, I'd join.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNQVLtqOcrc

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Zorodius posted:

since the Catholic Church took issue with the previous radiocarbon dating of the Shroud of Turin, I strongly feel they should allow it to be re-tested. Kinda weird that they don't, since they believe it's real and all?

During the Middle Ages the church would give out pins and fancy ribbons for visiting pilgrimage sites and paying a few dollars to look at the fake relics there. I think it would be fun to travel back in time and get some sweet sweet Catholic bling while traveling those holy roads.

Anyways, that's my post. May the Virgin Mary watch over you all.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

During the Middle Ages the church would give out pins and fancy ribbons for visiting pilgrimage sites and paying a few dollars to look at the fake relics there. I think it would be fun to travel back in time and get some sweet sweet Catholic bling while traveling those holy roads.

Anyways, that's my post. May the Virgin Mary watch over you all.

Goons have no difficulty identifying with her.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
My grandpa who passed away a few years ago gave me his dead brother's rosary and a small prayer book back when I was a teen, after I wore through the wooden beads on my first one. Rosaries are cool and good, prayer rituals own. It ain't a proper prayer unless you kiss a jesus cross on a long chain.

Kharohz
Jul 25, 2007

THE BELL TOLLS FOR THEE
Hi I am married to an active catholic, I hate my life, also I'm atheist. Help!

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

hemophilia posted:

The poo poo is not all in the past. Some of the rape and coersion and corruption is ongoing. This is what ratzinger resigned over. Francis is one man and as neat as I think he is, he's not going to be able to completely overcome the institutional inertia of the vatican.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kharohz posted:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Nathilus posted:

The poo poo is not all in the past. Some of the rape and coersion and corruption is ongoing. This is what ratzinger resigned over. Francis is one man and as neat as I think he is, he's not going to be able to completely overcome the institutional inertia of the vatican.

He's been really hard at work shitcanning and shuffling around people as he can. The pope is a supreme executive in vatican and catholic affairs religious and governmental, and he's in a situation where being just one man means a lot more than it does in other walks of life. Hope this helps.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Catholicism is honestly best religion if u want to be religious

- mass only lasts an hour and is predictable
- u get wine in mass
- anything u do wrong is forgivable with a few Hail Marys or rosary things or lords prayer, it's all good
- catholic girls own when ur in high school

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Kharohz posted:

what's his name

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ceciltron posted:

My grandpa who passed away a few years ago gave me his dead brother's rosary and a small prayer book back when I was a teen, after I wore through the wooden beads on my first one. Rosaries are cool and good, prayer rituals own. It ain't a proper prayer unless you kiss a jesus cross on a long chain.

Yeah, Rosaries have died out in the last 30 years.
I grew up catholic in a catholic town in Northern Ireland.
And as a kid in the 80s you were given your first Rosary Beads when you got your Confirmation.
There used to be stalls sometimes where you could buy religious stuff, mostly Rosary beads.

Nowadays, gently caress, no one uses them.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

hemophilia posted:

He's been really hard at work shitcanning and shuffling around people as he can. The pope is a supreme executive in vatican and catholic affairs religious and governmental, and he's in a situation where being just one man means a lot more than it does in other walks of life. Hope this helps.

Tougher popes than him have been murdered for loving with the pie too much. I don't think that's what is going to happen this time around, but it puts in perspective the fact that there are limits to a single pope's control over the vatican.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
went to catholic school until 8th grade, and recently found out that three of my uncles were molested/assaulted by catholic priests (don't know the full details)

those two reasons alone have me pretty biased against the catholic church

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Chick makes everything he hates seem totally badass.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Yeah, Rosaries have died out in the last 30 years.
I grew up catholic in a catholic town in Northern Ireland.
And as a kid in the 80s you were given your first Rosary Beads when you got your Confirmation.
There used to be stalls sometimes where you could buy religious stuff, mostly Rosary beads.

Nowadays, gently caress, no one uses them.

its all about anal beads these days

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I haven't been to mass since I was confirmed/the sex scandals broke out, but I gotta confess (harr harr) that there is still a part of me that would like to swing by a mass some Sunday. The organ and choir music is always top notch, at the very least. I wish the priests had better public speaking skills, but what can you do I guess

This is why you need Irish priests.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

hmm, temple of evil, eh?

ok i guess maybe a little evil

ok maybe i didn't think this through

alright evil it is

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

VectorSigma posted:

hmm, temple of evil, eh?

alright evil it is

The Holy Catholic church is in league with Big Bone industries!

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

VectorSigma posted:

hmm, temple of evil, eh?

alright evil it is

FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEEAAAAHHHH

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I want more memento mori incorporated into sacred art and architecture

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Ceciltron posted:

I want more memento mori incorporated into sacred art and architecture

me 2

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

VectorSigma posted:

hmm, temple of evil, eh?

alright evil it is

is this like warhammer catholicism or something

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

hemophilia posted:

You'll spend months learning more about Catholicism than any Catholic by birth knows and end up only calling yourself Catholic on forms because of residual guilt despite being completely apathetic to the whole thing.

This is the natural state of the average Catholic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

ColtMcAsskick posted:

You'll spend months learning more about Catholicism than any Catholic by birth knows and end up only calling yourself Catholic on forms because of residual guilt despite being completely apathetic to the whole thing.

This is the natural state of the average Catholic

sounds like converting to judaism

• Locked thread