Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

eddiewalker posted:

I'd rather upgrade to 9.3 for official flux-like capability, then keep waiting to JB that.

I've been using whatever someone posted earlier in this thread, which is using the accessibility option (under zoom) that lets you dim the screen with a triple-click of the home button. Its not as good as flux, but better than not using your phone before bed.

I can't believe they are finally putting it in, its one of the few reasons I still jailbreak.

e: i'll be happy to have a better font also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Fellis posted:

e: i'll be happy to have a better font also

Papyrus?

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Well good news for you, Flux is included in stock 9.3. It's called Night Shift or whatever now.

Good to know, thanks.

There are still a few things holding me back namely browser changer, cc settings, no slow animations, sms on gv, and swipe selection.

Out of those the only one I'd truly hate to lose is sms on gv.

plscks
Apr 3, 2011

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
Apparently the Pangu 9.1 jailbreak is causing bootloops. So it may be wise to hold off until it gets patched or figured out or something.

In other news, there is an app called GoodNight which is like f.lux but you can side load it on to 9.2.1. It's what I use and it works pretty darn good. In fact now that I think of it I think you can side load f.lux on to 9.2.1 also, it just works strange maybe? I don't know.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
No Slow Animations / Fake Clock Up is so simple and sensical that I can't believe how slow a non-JB device is to use nowadays.
I wish Apple would at least make folder transitions take a reasonable length of time because they are truly ridiculous.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

There is a way to eliminate all animations on non-jb phones using spotlight search and the assistive touch button. I've been using it for the past couple of days and it works great.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Klungar posted:

There is a way to eliminate all animations on non-jb phones using spotlight search and the assistive touch button. I've been using it for the past couple of days and it works great.

....and? How do you do it?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Blimpkin posted:

....and? How do you do it?

Here you go.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

That was surprisingly easy. How did someone figure that out and why does it work..

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
My work phone thanks you.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

plscks posted:

Apparently the Pangu 9.1 jailbreak is causing bootloops. So it may be wise to hold off until it gets patched or figured out or something.

In other news, there is an app called GoodNight which is like f.lux but you can side load it on to 9.2.1. It's what I use and it works pretty darn good. In fact now that I think of it I think you can side load f.lux on to 9.2.1 also, it just works strange maybe? I don't know.

f.lux originally posted a super hacky Xcode project that installed binaries until Apple told them to gently caress off. GoodNight is open source, so there's no such issue there.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Any advice on using Flex to open an app that won't open on jail broken phones? It just opens and immediate closes without a message, and when I poke around in Flex there's no mention of jailbreaks or anything in the code.

It's a Japanese app called Puzzles & Dragons Radar, but all the code and stuff is in English.

steamed horse
Dec 4, 2004

I've found this too with apps I've tried to tweak to restore things that don't work with jailbreak, like my banking app that doesn't let you use touch id. I assume they just get better at hiding these things because I can't find any mention of jailbreak either. I'm a bit annoyed actually because I bought the app only to find it useless for what I want it for.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Whatever the current version of ts protector is might help you. I don't know if any apps use anything beyond the default :effort: jailbreak check that it blocks.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
TS Protector doesn't work for it. I was in the same boat and just ended up updating my phone and getting rid of the jailbreak. The minor fun things it let me do wasn't work the banking stuff sometimes not working, and random crashes, etc. The big dealbreaker was the new f.lux stuff they threw in, as that was my primary reason for jailbreaking.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
If I could tether at will without losing my AT&T grandfathered data plan I would give up my jailbreak in an instant.

skinner
Oct 22, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

If I could tether at will without losing my AT&T grandfathered data plan I would give up my jailbreak in an instant.

Have you run into issues with this and AT&T? I've been thinking of trying it out but worried about losing my unlimited plan. Read some stuff about TetherMe and VPNs but still nervous.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
So I'm still on iOS 7.0 with an iPhone 5 and heard that iOS 9 runs alright on it. Can 9.3 be jailbroken? I saw some older posts saying no but Google is bringing up a lot of (perhaps fake?) results for a 9.3 jailbreak. Is this real?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

There is no 9.3 jailbreak.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Nickoten posted:

So I'm still on iOS 7.0 with an iPhone 5 and heard that iOS 9 runs alright on it. Can 9.3 be jailbroken? I saw some older posts saying no but Google is bringing up a lot of (perhaps fake?) results for a 9.3 jailbreak. Is this real?

As Dave said, no jailbreak yet for 9.3 (I doubt there will be one now for anything past 9.1 , but who knows).

There are A LOT of fakes. Don't get caught out. Most of the fakes want money from you. No jailbreak has ever cost money.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Got it, thanks!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Funso Banjo posted:

(I doubt there will be one now for anything past 9.1

I've never jailbroken a phone (but I'm about to), but I've been keeping up with it. With that being said, what makes you say that. Literally, genuinely curious :)

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

eightysixed posted:

I've never jailbroken a phone (but I'm about to), but I've been keeping up with it. With that being said, what makes you say that. Literally, genuinely curious :)

I didn't mean there will never be a jailreak again. I meant I doubt we'll see any more 9.x IOS jailbreaks, judging from the sounds coming from several big name jailbreakers. On top of which, a 10 beta is just weeks away, at which point jailbreaking for current IOS versions becomes something on the backburner for most of these guys, rather than a priority.

We'll get a 10 jailbreak, for sure.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

skinner posted:

Have you run into issues with this and AT&T? I've been thinking of trying it out but worried about losing my unlimited plan. Read some stuff about TetherMe and VPNs but still nervous.

No, I've never had problems. MyWi and TetherMe

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I use MyWi on my ATT unlimited and never had a probably. I've never done anything too outrageous though.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I was busted a couple of times for using MyWi. Not sure what gave it away but I was being careful. Now I used triple the data streaming movies to my phone. Take that jerks!

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Can 9.3.2 be jailbroken?

Edit :ignore, I can read, thanks

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Impending English jailbreak for all 64-bit devices. Chinese version already out and working.

http://en.pangu.io/

Tethered or semi-tethered for sure though. Might get an update later to be untethered.

Edit: looks like semi-tethered. Phone reboots into non-jb state, then you run an app on phone to rejailbreak.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jul 24, 2016

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
What version should be be on??

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

:siren: Warning, this jailbreak works, but DO NOT give it your account name and password. Giving a Chinese device hacking group your account name and password is not a great idea, don't do it. If you are asked for one in order to install the jailbreak, create a new Apple account just for this use, or try again later. It wants your password so it can create a provisioning profile (a developer thing which allows for signed apps) and while it may be fine, for now don't risk giving your real data when you don't have to. :siren:

goodness posted:

What version should be be on??

9.3.3, the latest version, is fine. May as well upgrade before jailbreaking.

Also seeing reports that it doesn't work with the iPad Pros.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 24, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so as someone who's never jailbroken before, what are the recommended tweaks and the like that people suggest

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

:duckie: ohhh gently caress yes I'm still on 9.0.2. Can't live without tage, f.lux, or swipeselect (did they add the iOS version of flux yet?

Per usual I'm just gonna let the dust settle a bit and let others trial and error

I reboot my phone a lot so might wait for un-tethered tho

For the account name/pass what if we just change it to something simple before and then just change it back after...?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 24, 2016

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Been waiting for this ever since I upgraded to an SE earlier this year. I'll wait a few more days for all the kinks to be ironed out though.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

so as someone who's never jailbroken before, what are the recommended tweaks and the like that people suggest

While I've been out of the jailbreak scene for a while, f.lux is absolute. Probably something like intelliscreen or something to customize your notifications and/or all popup notifications. When i get home i can look at my iPad and tell you what's useful and refer you to other repos for neat stuff. Check out the jailbreak reddit and the iOS themes sub reddit, pretty sure there's links in the OP? phone posting atm.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
flux is built into iOS now. My main jailbreak tweaks are cosmetic. Activator can be used to create a bunch of useful shortcuts depending on your usage.

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

Here's some of what I use:
  • Activator (customize shortcuts - I have double-tapping the home button play\pause media so that I can quickly control things from my pocket)
  • FolderEnhancer (show more apps in each page of a folder)
  • IntelliScreen (lock screen customization)
  • Open in Chrome (makes Chrome default browser)
  • PDANet (tethering)
  • ShowCase (makes keyboard show current case)
  • VideoPane ("detaches" video players so that you can do picture-in-picture while using other apps. It's pretty nifty.)

I'm still on 8.1. I guess it's about time I upgrade.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Is the built-in iOS f.lux just as good? Any reason to use f.lux over it?'

With every JB update sometimes the apps aren't compatible and you gotta wait for an update

lol if you don't use tage or swipeselect

Swipeselect - move the text cursor when you're typing to quickly edit poo poo by swiping left or right on the keyboard

Tage has a handful of features but the ones I use are life changing. Swipe on the title bar to lock the phone and swipe from the bottom corner (customizable) to bring up multitasking if you go slowly. If you just swipe up it closes the app and pretty much acts as the home button

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Funso Banjo posted:

:siren: Warning, this jailbreak works, but DO NOT give it your account name and password. Giving a Chinese device hacking group your account name and password is not a great idea, don't do it. If you are asked for one in order to install the jailbreak, create a new Apple account just for this use, or try again later. It wants your password so it can create a provisioning profile (a developer thing which allows for signed apps) and while it may be fine, for now don't risk giving your real data when you don't have to. :siren:

9.3.3, the latest version, is fine. May as well upgrade before jailbreaking.

I read that you don't need to give your Apple ID info if you use the Mac jail breaking method, but you do have to create an XCode account and go through some extra steps. No idea how this plays out in practice yet, but I'll probably give it a go on my iPad Air this evening.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Is the built-in iOS f.lux just as good? Any reason to use f.lux over it?'

f.lux is more tweakable, my biggest complaint being that in "Night Shift" you just set a time for it to start and a time for it to end. f.lux using your location and looking up when the actual sunset/sunrise is to change is a way smoother feature. Also, I've been unjailbroken for a while, but can the iOS f.lux slowly fade like it does on computers? Night Shift doesn't let you set that up either. It seems like the temperature range is smaller too, but I'm not 100% sure.

edit: and I googled after I made that post and my complaint a lie. I guess I didn't have my location services set up right when I turned it on, it looks like you can indeed use sunset/sunrise.

Ror fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I haven't had an iPhone in a while, i didn't know they had flux functionality built in. I only popped in to see if it would be worth upgrading my iPad air from 7 to current since there's a jailbreak coming out.

• Locked thread