Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011

Chitin posted:

At LEAST Rhode Island.

Phy posted:

Swheat Scoop: The Environmentally Responsible Way To Handle Your Pu

I love you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Police in Ohio found a batch of "heroin" that contained carfentanil. Carfentanil is 100 times as potent as fentanyl which is 100 times as potent as morphine, so one microgram of carfentanil is equivalent to 100mg of morphine. A doctor in an emergency room:

https://twitter.com/CSquared913/status/757005593030889472

Gobbeldygook has a new favorite as of 03:06 on Jul 24, 2016

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
drat. That's gotta blow through Narcan stockpiles like crazy

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holy poo poo!

cowandchick
Mar 24, 2004
moo
I came across this paper the other day:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/wol1/doi/10.1002/anie.201605611/abstract

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

You know your chemistry is exciting when even the molecule is saying NO NO NO NO

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

ol qwerty bastard posted:

You know your chemistry is exciting when even the molecule is saying NO NO NO NO

All I hear is yesss :getin:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
nerd

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

I've read this thread too much. I saw the end product and actually recoiled.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

A molecule made of compressed hate and fear.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors

Abstract posted:

By theoretical data, the TTTO 1 heat of formation is about 206 kcal/mol, density 1.98 g/cm^3, estimated detonation velocity 9.71 km/s, and detonation pressure 432 kbar, which puts it on a par with the most powerful explosives known.

NO NO NO

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

NONNONONNONN

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Post Your Favorite (or Request) > PYF dangerous chemicals/etc:even the molecule is saying NO NO NO NO

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM8Ss28zjcE

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

A White Guy posted:

Post Your Favorite (or Request) > PYF dangerous chemicals/etc:even the molecule is saying NO NO NO NO
:golfclap:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

So in short, if there ever is a God, Thomas Klapotke is the guy who kills Him with high explosives?

I really struggle to invent any more suitable name for the guy. Klapotke just rolls from the tongue, thru the lab door, and most of the nearby walls.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

A White Guy posted:

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

Police in Ohio found a batch of "heroin" that contained carfentanil. Carfentanil is 100 times as potent as fentanyl which is 100 times as potent as morphine, so one microgram of carfentanil is equivalent to 100mg of morphine. A doctor in an emergency room:

https://twitter.com/CSquared913/status/757005593030889472

Units quibble, but microgram is ug(strictly speaking, it's properly rendered μg. though in medical contexts it can appear as mcg), milligram is mg.

This confusion has caused serious issues in medicine. Getting a dose wrong by a factor of 1000 can do that. Some organizations disallow abbreviations for microgram and insist that it always be written out.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Post Your Favorite (or Request) > PYF dangerous chemicals/etc: Rings of NNO NNO NNO NNO

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Aurium posted:

Units quibble, but microgram is ug(strictly speaking, it's properly rendered μg. though in medical contexts it can appear as mcg), milligram is mg.

This confusion has caused serious issues in medicine. Getting a dose wrong by a factor of 1000 can do that. Some organizations disallow abbreviations for microgram and insist that it always be written out.
There is no units quibble possible with my post, I wrote out "microgram" for exactly that reason and because most people aren't familiar with the abbreviations for microgram. One microgram of carfentanil = 100 milligrams of morphine.

edit: gently caress I hosed up unit conversion in my first post; 1 microgram of carfentanil = 10 milligrams of morphine.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

There is no units quibble possible with my post, I wrote out "microgram" for exactly that reason and because most people aren't familiar with the abbreviations for microgram. One microgram of carfentanil = 100 milligrams of morphine.

edit: gently caress I hosed up unit conversion in my first post; 1 microgram of carfentanil = 10 milligrams of morphine.

Yea, I think that's what threw me, I saw that one was 100x as powerful, and 1ug vs 100mg and thought there was a typo, not a conversion.

That's still a ridiculous drug to cut something with.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Aurium posted:

Yea, I think that's what threw me, I saw that one was 100x as powerful, and 1ug vs 100mg and thought there was a typo, not a conversion.

That's still a ridiculous drug to cut something with.
Like fentanyl, it's a substitute not a cut. The dealer sells someone a baggie of "heroin" that contains 99 milligrams of sugar and 1 milligram of fentanyl, or 10 micrograms of carfentanil. Unsurprisingly, your common street dealer does not have the knowledge or equipment to properly mix it so you get a giant pile of dead 'heroin' users.

Gobbeldygook has a new favorite as of 00:06 on Jul 25, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

Like fentanyl, it's a substitute not a cut. The dealer sells someone a baggie of "heroin" that contains 99 milligrams of sugar and 1 milligram of fentanyl, or 10 micrograms of carfentanil. Unsurprisingly, your common street dealer does not have the knowledge of equipment to properly mix it so you get a giant pile of dead 'heroin' users.

The other issue is that while fentanyl is an extremely effective anaesthetic it isn't as euphoriac as heroin (relative to anaesthetic / breathing-suppressing strength). It 'feels' a bit like heroin which is why it's a convincing substitute, but by the time you're using a high enough dose to get a euphoric rush you're also using a high enough dose to stop breathing.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Chitin posted:

At LEAST Rhode Island.
As a resident of CT, I'm OK with this.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Why the gently caress does anyone need anything more powerful than fentanyl, I mean everything I know about it points to it being an end of life care "you are beyond hosed" drug, I mean can you seriously develop a tolerance to that

I guess I do remember some episode of intervention I saw that had a chick just happily suckin' away on one of the lollipop things though, so I guess the human body is a miraculous thing

e. I guess retarded dealers doing bad substitutions makes more sense than junkies saying "Y'know this fentanyl just doesn't give me the same zing that it used to, you got anything better there medical science?"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Therapeutic use is easy enough, you just dilute the gently caress out of it.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
As seen with nitrogen compounds, chemists are dicks and always try to one up each other.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

Why the gently caress does anyone need anything more powerful than fentanyl, I mean everything I know about it points to it being an end of life care "you are beyond hosed" drug, I mean can you seriously develop a tolerance to that

I guess I do remember some episode of intervention I saw that had a chick just happily suckin' away on one of the lollipop things though, so I guess the human body is a miraculous thing

e. I guess retarded dealers doing bad substitutions makes more sense than junkies saying "Y'know this fentanyl just doesn't give me the same zing that it used to, you got anything better there medical science?"
Carfentanil is not used in humans. It's only used for sedating large animals. Because fentanyl is very short acting, it has medical uses beyond end of life care in e.g. anesthesia.

It's not a 'bad substitution', they are responding to economic incentives. Dealers buying drugs from China gravitate towards whatever is cheapest on a pound for pound basis. First, it's easier to import one kilo than ten kilos. Second, the chemists making the drugs in China don't care about how potent whatever the dealer wants is, only how long it'll take to make and much precursor they need to buy. They'll charge about the same amount for a kilo of something active at 100 milligrams as something active at 10 milligrams.

This was part of what caused the whole "bath salt" phenomenon. While there were a lot of different drugs found in "bath salts" with mephedrone, methylone, and MDPV as the big three, they were overwhelmingly MDPV because MDPV is very active at ~10 milligrams while the other two aren't active until 100+ milligrams. Distributors couldn't include dosing instructions on the packaging, so they would cut it to the point that it was (hopefully) safe to snort a line. MDPV's mechanism of action was most similar to cocaine (whereas mephedrone & methylone had more in common with amphetamine & MDMA), so what we really saw with "bath salts" was what would happen if cocaine of random potency was available at affordable prices in gas stations.

It took most goons using pure MDPV about six weeks to go from MDPV IS THE poo poo to I'M FLUSHING THIS poo poo BECAUSE THE SHADOW PEOPLE TOLD ME TO.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

It took most goons using pure MDPV about six weeks to go from MDPV IS THE poo poo to I'M FLUSHING THIS poo poo BECAUSE THE SHADOW PEOPLE TOLD ME TO.

Shadow people being uncharacteristically helpful.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

TCC will never stop being entertaining

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Therapeutic use is easy enough, you just dilute the gently caress out of it.
Now I wonder if there's homeopathic heroin.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

SynthOrange posted:

TCC will never stop being entertaining

Really, if want endless drug comedy, TCC isn't that great. Goons are actually pretty chill and knowledgeable about how to safely use drugs. All the gun-ho "Let's try this brand spanking new RC!" are either dead, in jail after having a drug-induced freak out, or stopped posting altogether. Bluelight is better for your drug comedy.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

A White Guy posted:

Really, if want endless drug comedy, TCC isn't that great. Goons are actually pretty chill and knowledgeable about how to safely use drugs. All the gun-ho "Let's try this brand spanking new RC!" are either dead, in jail after having a drug-induced freak out, or stopped posting altogether. Bluelight is better for your drug comedy.

Is there a 'best of drug forums' somewhere? Ideally where I can laugh at people being idiots without dying.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wasn't there a TCC story of a goon who tried some new research drug and woke up after having blacked out to find he had bought several thousand dollars worth of random poo poo off ebay and/or Amazon?

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Collateral Damage posted:

Wasn't there a TCC story of a goon who tried some new research drug and woke up after having blacked out to find he had bought several thousand dollars worth of random poo poo off ebay and/or Amazon?

I think that may have been the ambien walrus leading to the purchase of a piano, can't find it right now.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Phenazepam, posted quite often in the PYF Forum Quotes thread.

Benzo with a ridiculously low active dose and a ridiculously long half-life.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

chrisoya posted:

Phenazepam, posted quite often in the PYF Forum Quotes thread.

Benzo with a ridiculously low active dose and a ridiculously long half-life.

As in, a few grains of sand worth gives you a days long blackout. I've also heard stories of some guy going blind as a result of interpreting "eyeball a dose" as "put the dose in your eye".

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

vOv posted:

Is there a 'best of drug forums' somewhere? Ideally where I can laugh at people being idiots without dying.

The Experiences Vault on Erowid is always amusing, especially the Datura section.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PhotoKirk posted:

The Experiences Vault on Erowid is always amusing, especially the Datura section.

Erowid is amazing. Someone posted a trip report about xylazine (a livestock tranquilizer) complaining about how it just made them sleep for twelve hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Now I wonder if there's homeopathic heroin.

Kratom could meet that requirement. When it first started appearing in the us, some juice bars were mixing it into smoothies as a healthy additive.