Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Dogfish posted:

Close the bedroom door and ignore the resulting complaints until he gives up. Right now nighttime playtime is part of his routine. He doesn't know you don't like it. If you change the routine and are consistent with it, he'll figure it out eventually. You'll probably get lots of complaints for awhile but that's better than being nibbled at 4 a.m. indefinitely.

Did this last night and it turns out he'll only meow for like three minutes before going back to sleep on the bathroom floor (he loves hard surfaces way more than soft ones. Probably helps that the tile is cool, as well). I feel kind of silly for not just doing that before, I just assumed he'd be way more persistent than he actually was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This is Motor:

He's about 17 pounds and apparently thinks it's hilarious to sit in the litter box and poop out the side. Does anyone with as big an rear end in a top hat as Motor have any recommendations on a litter box?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Try getting a rubbermaid storage tub and put litter in it. Some people have litterbox set ups where they cut a hole in the top of the lid for their cats to climb down into but you can just leave it open too.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Or try a covered tray.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Help I have somehow taken in strays!

Someone dumped them in a box at our office

They just escaped my little containment zone and are crawling all over my room oh god

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pedestrian Xing posted:

They just escaped my little containment zone and are crawling all over my room oh god

congratulations on your new cats

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

Pedestrian Xing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C4uTEEOJlM

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

little heads, BIG EARS. :kimchi:

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

duckfarts posted:

congratulations on your new cats

I already have two in a tiny apartment and they are very :catstare: about this situation!!

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

Pedestrian Xing posted:

I already have two in a tiny apartment and they are very :catstare: about this situation!!

5 is the minimum entry to the Crazy Cat Lady Club. Congrats on your ascension.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

mcmagic posted:

This is Motor:

He's about 17 pounds and apparently thinks it's hilarious to sit in the litter box and poop out the side. Does anyone with as big an rear end in a top hat as Motor have any recommendations on a litter box?

I see this kind of thing as just being dumb, not malicious. Like, my cats know ya gotta paw and paw at the cat litter after taking a poo poo but they don't know that it's in order to cover it, so I end up with a pile of litter with turds on top. I think your kitty knows he needs to poo poo while being in the litter box, because standing on litter feels like the right thing to do while making GBS threads, but doesn't understand why.

In conclusion: get a covered box.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Pedestrian Xing posted:

spregalia posted:

5 is the minimum entry to the Crazy Cat Lady Club. Congrats on your ascension.

E: get some cat trees (Armarkat) and post more pics thanks in advance :catstare:

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 22, 2016

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Here they are fed and a bit happier. They can waddle, their ears are up, and they have teeth so I'm estimating 4 weeks? They're underweight though. How worried should I be about overfeeding? They go crazy every time I give them wet food each 2-3 hours , 1 of those little tubs between the three of them. Never dealt with cats this young...

e: I have them at work today and people won't stop coming into my office to play with them :3:

Pedestrian Xing fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 22, 2016

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Here they are fed and a bit happier. They can waddle, their ears are up, and they have teeth so I'm estimating 4 weeks? They're underweight though. How worried should I be about overfeeding? They go crazy every time I give them wet food each 2-3 hours , 1 of those little tubs between the three of them. Never dealt with cats this young...

e: I have them at work today and people won't stop coming into my office to play with them :3:

dont worry about overfeeding kittens. they need to get bigger. Lucky you they are on solid food. Need to get those cute guys checked out for FIV though asap.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

I called a vet about getting them combo tested but they said not until 6-8 weeks? Should I call another one ?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Pedestrian Xing posted:

I called a vet about getting them combo tested but they said not until 6-8 weeks? Should I call another one ?

I'd say it's fine to follow vet's orders and wait (unless they start to show actual signs of being sick), but just keep the newbies separate from current cats until the tests are done.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Huntersoninski posted:

I'd say it's fine to follow vet's orders and wait (unless they start to show actual signs of being sick), but just keep the newbies separate from current cats until the tests are done.

yep exactly this.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

mcmagic posted:

One of our cats used to do this from the day we got her ( stray, now big and fat ) and the solution seems to have been just getting a larger litter box ( we tried a covered one and she just poo poo right out of the center the one time she tried to use it ).

If he's a big cat your current litter box might just be too small, so I went to Petsmart and got a giant ( seriously it is like 2' x 4' ) litter box/big tray, extra jumbo litter bags, and all of a sudden no more making GBS threads right in front of the litter.

I watched her and it is the only litter box she uses, I guess because she really wants to get all the way in there to get a proper making GBS threads squat going on and doesn't like to be crowded.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

SneakyFrog posted:

yep exactly this.

The littlest one stopped eating today and is acting lethargic, so I made a vet appointment for this afternoon just to be safe. Ill talk with her then. I'm probably handing them off to someone else on sunday, but drat quarantine is hard with these little escape artists.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Pedestrian Xing posted:

The littlest one stopped eating today and is acting lethargic, so I made a vet appointment for this afternoon just to be safe. Ill talk with her then. I'm probably handing them off to someone else on sunday, but drat quarantine is hard with these little escape artists.

suspend some string over them or get them some kinda interactive toy.. crinkly cellophane works just roll it into a ball and toss it among the psychos, you cannot contain razorblade wielding kittens just distract them with fun things.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

i don't think there's room for any more cats on the internet.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Pedestrian Xing posted:

If you need any help, come chat with us in the foster thread!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768887

Chili fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 22, 2016

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Chili posted:

way to be all helpful and link it jon snow the butterbearer. :haw:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

SneakyFrog posted:

way to be all helpful and link it jon snow the butterbearer. :haw:

Yeah yeah, woops.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Chili posted:

Thanks, but I'm passing them off to someone who can take better care tomorrow or Saturday. They're cute, but I can't take care of them all day. I took them to the vet, she said they look great, just a little underweight. The gray one is a girl, the brown tabby is a boy, and can't tell about the black one.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

TollTheHounds posted:

One of our cats used to do this from the day we got her ( stray, now big and fat ) and the solution seems to have been just getting a larger litter box ( we tried a covered one and she just poo poo right out of the center the one time she tried to use it ).

If he's a big cat your current litter box might just be too small, so I went to Petsmart and got a giant ( seriously it is like 2' x 4' ) litter box/big tray, extra jumbo litter bags, and all of a sudden no more making GBS threads right in front of the litter.

I watched her and it is the only litter box she uses, I guess because she really wants to get all the way in there to get a proper making GBS threads squat going on and doesn't like to be crowded.

You could train the cat to poop in a toilet, but they'll always find a way to gently caress poo poo up

Dixie Cretin Seaman fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 23, 2016

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

mcmagic posted:

This is Motor:

Get a bigger box, or one with a higher wall. I have a large tabby, and he does this from time to time. Also- Is he ideal weight? I got my cats down by feeding them specific portions using a digital food scale.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Go to a hardware store and get a cement mixing tub. That's what we use for Butterscotch.

cementsocks
Jun 28, 2007
Zombies, Zombies, Zombies
First time kitten owner here. We just picked up a foster kitten that's about 12 weeks old. He is very small but I am not certain of the exact weight since we don't have a scale at home, and his last visit to vet was with its previous foster parents (who had to hand him over to us due to complicated circumstances). I know he has his first round of shots, is clean, we're taking him to a vet soon for more, etc.

Anyway, I picked up 2 flats of Iams kitten food (cans of wet food) and the instructions are really vague for how much to feed the cat. They say 0.5 - 1.0 can per lb the kitten weighs. The kitten acts really hungry all the time (lots of begging, meowing, won't leave us alone when we are eating people food) and is fairly skinny but I think that's because when they found him 2 months ago, he was abandoned and very hungry so he's still a little scarred from that experience.

We've been feeding him 2 cans a day so far. I'd guess he weighs around 2 pounds, we'll find the exact weight in a few days when we can take him to the vet. Attaching a picture of him next to a coke can. How much should I feed him? Is it better to over or underfeed if I'm unsure?

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
With kittens, I've usually free fed (granted, it was 75% dry 25% wet) for the first several months of life because they grow so much during that time. I'd err on the overfeeding side until you get to the vet and know his exact weight and the vet's opinion on how much you should be feeding.

I tell this to everyone with new kittens and you may already know, but now is the key time to be messing with his feet, grooming with a brush and teaching how to play nice/not be a bitey shithead. The kittens who grew up with me messing with their feet and trimming their nails are so much less of a pain in the rear end to trim nails now as full grown cats. It's cute when a two pound kitten tries to chew on you, but isn't when they're full grown and think it's okay to bite everything. Trust me on this.

cementsocks
Jun 28, 2007
Zombies, Zombies, Zombies

Grape Soda posted:

With kittens, I've usually free fed (granted, it was 75% dry 25% wet) for the first several months of life because they grow so much during that time. I'd err on the overfeeding side until you get to the vet and know his exact weight and the vet's opinion on how much you should be feeding.

I tell this to everyone with new kittens and you may already know, but now is the key time to be messing with his feet, grooming with a brush and teaching how to play nice/not be a bitey shithead. The kittens who grew up with me messing with their feet and trimming their nails are so much less of a pain in the rear end to trim nails now as full grown cats. It's cute when a two pound kitten tries to chew on you, but isn't when they're full grown and think it's okay to bite everything. Trust me on this.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try and feed him a lil more on the heavy side and trust the mews. I'm terrified of future nailtrims, so we are picking him up/holding him/ playing with paws and exposing claws as often as humanly possible, and yelping at nibbles. Thanks!

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Huntersoninski posted:

Coating pills in a little bit of butter helps us out. We cover it in butter, jam it into his mouth, then hold his jaw closed. You can actually see in his eyes the moment he switches from "ahhh no not a pill!" To "oh it's butter, awesome *gulp*"

Returning to say that this was a genius idea and my cat had exactly that reaction. "No, no, nooooo, why are you doing this to meeeeeeee-oh wait, is that butter? Never mind, this is an amazing plan."

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Someone found a kitten at work today and it looks like I may end up taking it to try and find it an owner. I have 2 cats that I'll keep it segregated from. It's pretty young and fairly skinny. I won't be able to get it to the vet until Tuesday in all likelihood. I have plenty of good wet and dry food for it. Anything special I'll need to do?

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
I have a quick question as a newish cat owner. My little cat is about 4.5 months old, and is my first experience with a long haired cat.
One thing I wasn't expecting was the amount of poopy butts. He gets bits of poop stuck in his fur almost every time he goes. So I bought a little pet shaver and shaved him back there. It's worked well, but I was wondering if anybody with experience could tell me how often I should do this? Ever week? Every month? Does anybody have a ballpark figure?

This is the little pooper:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

That's the kitten they found today. Any estimate on age? It ate some of the tuna that someone had in their locker so it's cool with solid foods already. Right now it does look like it's going home with me. It has one hell of a purr motor :3:

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

fknlo posted:

That's the kitten they found today. Any estimate on age? It ate some of the tuna that someone had in their locker so it's cool with solid foods already. Right now it does look like it's going home with me. It has one hell of a purr motor :3:

As someone who volunteers with strays and feral cats, my guess is 8-10 weeks. Remember that cats can be spayed or neutered as soon as they weigh 2 pounds.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

LivesInGrey posted:

As someone who volunteers with strays and feral cats, my guess is 8-10 weeks. Remember that cats can be spayed or neutered as soon as they weigh 2 pounds.

It'll be going to the vet this week for a checkup and to get stuff like that set up. It's really skinny but outside of that looks alright. I'm guessing it was dumped since it's really friendly and was doing fine in a smallish room full of people all day.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4Bd-cZs26I

fknlo fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 25, 2016

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

My girlfriend, me and our cat are moving out of our smallish apartment in a few months and are almost certainly going to get a cat to help fill up the much bigger house we bought. When is the best time to introduce a new cat to the household? Oue rescue cat is very friendly and social, she stayed in the animal shelter for a few months while she was recovering from having her tail amputated, so we also know she's ok with other cats. Do we get a second cat before we move, right after the move or wait a few months?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

nimby posted:

My girlfriend, me and our cat are moving out of our smallish apartment in a few months and are almost certainly going to get a cat to help fill up the much bigger house we bought. When is the best time to introduce a new cat to the household? Oue rescue cat is very friendly and social, she stayed in the animal shelter for a few months while she was recovering from having her tail amputated, so we also know she's ok with other cats. Do we get a second cat before we move, right after the move or wait a few months?

I got a second cat right after moving house and I think that was probably the best way to do it for me, although of course it's impossible to know for sure what would have happened if I did it any other way. I think the fact that it was a new house meant that my established cat was happier to cede over the territory of the room I was keeping the new cat in. Even after I started leaving the door open, they mostly stuck to their respective halves of the house until they were both more comfortable with each other. It's going to depend on the individual cat personalities involved though.

I wouldn't get a cat just before you move simply because moving is extremely stressful and the last thing you need is the stress of a new cat on top of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Noonsaliwah posted:

I have a quick question as a newish cat owner. My little cat is about 4.5 months old, and is my first experience with a long haired cat.
One thing I wasn't expecting was the amount of poopy butts. He gets bits of poop stuck in his fur almost every time he goes. So I bought a little pet shaver and shaved him back there. It's worked well, but I was wondering if anybody with experience could tell me how often I should do this? Ever week? Every month? Does anybody have a ballpark figure?

This is the little pooper:

v:shobon:v honestly, I just trim my cat's bumfluff whenever he gets poo stuck to it. When it's long enough to get poo stuck, it's long enough to trim. That's how I tell.