Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

Your phone is broken. Take it to the Nexus Store.

Fortunately I can call them and they've already issued an advanced RMA replacement.

Thanks!

edit: comically enough while on the phone with them, I refreshed the factory image for the nth time and now it boots fine. Whatever, I'll get a new one regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Has anybody used both an MXP and a Nexus 6P and can comment on how they compare (aside from software updates)? I was surprised to see how much taller the 6P is than the MXP. How is Android's version of Active Display on the 6P?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wacky Delly posted:

Why is authenticator plus better than Authy?

Mogomra posted:

Your auth stuff isn't stored in some other, presumably not Google, cloud.

Mainly this but I'm not someone who cares that much about that. For me I find Authenticator+ to be nicer in use and I find the Wear component to be more useful day to day than Authy's Chrome App. Both are fine solutions to the problem of having to reset every 2FA token you have whenever you get a new phone.

tobym
Feb 12, 2015
I have a 2013 Moto X and I'd love a newer phone, but I feel like I can't live without the feature it calls 'Active Display' and I've always found it hard to work out if a given phone also has this feature, which is weird because it's the bees knees. Maybe I'm out of touch and it's built into Android now, or maybe there's something better?

Basically I want my phone to show me the time and if I have notifications when I pull it out of my pocket, without me pressing any button. Touching the screen at this point should display the notification and let me respond to it, dismiss it, or just unlock the phone - all by swiping. Which phones do this? Are there apps that do this, do they work well, and which one's the best?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The current Nexus phones do this, but don't have IR sensors on the front, so activate with the accelerometer. On my Nexus 5X, I find that I really need to shake it to get it to work. Definitely not as nice as the Moto's design. It does turn on automatically when you get a new notification, so you'll see it light up as it's sitting on your desk or whatever.

With the fingerprint sensor, I've gotten used to just unlocking my phone as I take it out of my pocket and don't miss the active display as much.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

tobym posted:

I have a 2013 Moto X and I'd love a newer phone, but I feel like I can't live without the feature it calls 'Active Display' and I've always found it hard to work out if a given phone also has this feature, which is weird because it's the bees knees. Maybe I'm out of touch and it's built into Android now, or maybe there's something better?

Basically I want my phone to show me the time and if I have notifications when I pull it out of my pocket, without me pressing any button. Touching the screen at this point should display the notification and let me respond to it, dismiss it, or just unlock the phone - all by swiping. Which phones do this? Are there apps that do this, do they work well, and which one's the best?
The Oneplus 3 does all that stuff, which I'm really glad for. Like you I did not want to live without that feature after having a Motorola.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

tobym posted:

Motorola's implementation is certainly the best, like someone else said Nexus phones have their own version. Samsungs have always on display but of the three, this implementation is the most limited as I understand it.

tobym
Feb 12, 2015

Uthor posted:

The current Nexus phones do this, but don't have IR sensors on the front, so activate with the accelerometer. On my Nexus 5X, I find that I really need to shake it to get it to work. Definitely not as nice as the Moto's design. It does turn on automatically when you get a new notification, so you'll see it light up as it's sitting on your desk or whatever.

With the fingerprint sensor, I've gotten used to just unlocking my phone as I take it out of my pocket and don't miss the active display as much.

I hadn't thought of that, maybe I would be just as happy with a phone with a fingerprint sensor?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Motorola's implementation is certainly the best, like someone else said Nexus phones have their own version. Samsungs have always on display but of the three, this implementation is the most limited as I understand it.

And yet, as someone who really dislikes Samsungs, I feel like Samsung's implementation is the nicest looking. Maybe they aren't informative (I haven't been up close to see how exactly notifications are presented) but as someone seeing it in passing I think it looks so much nicer than the Nexus and Motorola way of just maybe being there.

I still don't think I could surrender a discreet multicolor LED but if the display was always on without a battery penalty I think I could get used to it.

Do you know of anywhere that shows how the Samsung display works in practice?

eta: Okay I found some reviews that aren't just press releases and it doesn't show notifications which is lame but I have to say I still like the idea and the look.

And since I found it, tobym check out this comparison of how Motorolas, Nexuses, and the S7 does this.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 23, 2016

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

You can use a combination of apps like Ac Display and Gravity Screen to replicate Moto Display and there are apps that can do the chop - chop light gesture and twist - to - open - camera but they can obviously do a number on battery life.

I have a Droid Turbo and feel the same way. I tried a 6p for a week and used these apps but they don't work right with fingerprint sensor unlocking.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

And yet, as someone who really dislikes Samsungs, I feel like Samsung's implementation is the nicest looking. Maybe they aren't informative (I haven't been up close to see how exactly notifications are presented) but as someone seeing it in passing I think it looks so much nicer than the Nexus and Motorola way of just maybe being there.

I still don't think I could surrender a discreet multicolor LED but if the display was always on without a battery penalty I think I could get used to it.

Do you know of anywhere that shows how the Samsung display works in practice?

eta: Okay I found some reviews that aren't just press releases and it doesn't show notifications which is lame but I have to say I still like the idea and the look.

And since I found it, tobym check out this comparison of how Motorolas, Nexuses, and the S7 does this.

Looks like you already saw for yourself but as I understand it doesn't show third party app notifications, which really limits it's usefulness. I do agree it looks quite nice, assuming it doesn't hurt battery life it could be a real contender one or two versions down the line.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Skywalker OG posted:

You can use a combination of apps like Ac Display and Gravity Screen to replicate Moto Display and there are apps that can do the chop - chop light gesture and twist - to - open - camera but they can obviously do a number on battery life.

I have a Droid Turbo and feel the same way. I tried a 6p for a week and used these apps but they don't work right with fingerprint sensor unlocking.

I went from a Turbo to the Moto G+ and it's fantastic.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

kensei posted:

I went from a Turbo to the Moto G+ and it's fantastic.

Wow, didn't expect the G4 plus to be an upgrade option.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Skywalker OG posted:

Turns out a lot of things are upgrades when you have a Turbo.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

tobym posted:

I hadn't thought of that, maybe I would be just as happy with a phone with a fingerprint sensor?

I went from a 2013 Moto X to a Nexus 6P and between the 6Ps implementation of active display and fingerprint unlock, I'm 90% as happy with quick-information-access.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Has anybody used both an MXP and a Nexus 6P and can comment on how they compare (aside from software updates)? I was surprised to see how much taller the 6P is than the MXP. How is Android's version of Active Display on the 6P?

While not a 6P, I recently fired my Nexus 6 back up after using my MXP for the past few weeks. The IR sensors in the MXP make a huge difference when it comes to active display.

That being said, I'm kicking around the idea of picking up a 6P myself. :v:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
As of tomorrow, new egg is selling the 32gb 6P for 399$ with a 25$ gift card and other stuff- is this a decent deal? I'm coming from a Nexus 6, so I'm ok with the size

I suppose I could also get an axon 7? 400$ is pretty much my target

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

JayKay posted:

While not a 6P, I recently fired my Nexus 6 back up after using my MXP for the past few weeks. The IR sensors in the MXP make a huge difference when it comes to active display.

That being said, I'm kicking around the idea of picking up a 6P myself. :v:

Going from Moto X 2014 to Nexus 6, I find the Nexus way way worse in this respect. The IR sensors and active display stuff was easily the best thing Moto did on that phone, and I don't find the Nexus 6 to be near reliable enough for me to actually use the active display much. I basically never used the power button on the Moto X to turn on the display, and always do on the Nexus. It isn't any kind of deal breaker for me, but it also isn't any contest which implementation works better for me.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know if this should be in the Verizon thread but I just went from an iPhone 5s to a Nexus 5x.

I really love it so far but I cannot seem to get wifi calling working. I went to Verizon's website and added Advanced Calling 1.0 (why I have to add this free feature to my account I'll never know). Anyway I took my sim card out, rebooted the phone, all that stuff but my phone does not seem to be making any wifi calls.

I even tried a "trick" where I enabled airplane mode but turned on wifi but when I try to make a call doing this, it says I need to turn off airplane mode to make a call.

One other thing I noticed is I went to the settings menu of the phone dialer and I see no option to turn on wifi calling.

Anyone with this phone get wifi calling to work by any chance?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Unless your phone is on this list, wifi calling will not work.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/wificalling/

Don't expect Nexus devices to ever support wifi calling on Verizon.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

Unless your phone is on this list, wifi calling will not work.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/wificalling/

Don't expect Nexus devices to ever support wifi calling on Verizon.

Thank you for the reply!

I did see that list, but I figured they only list phones that Verizon themselves actually sell.

I assumed that because under my account (my wife still has an iPhone 5s) it says I can activate Advance Calling 1.0 while the option is grayed out under my wife's number, which would make me think the Nexus 5x supports it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Advanced Calling is VoLTE. A phone needs to support it as a prerequisite for Wifi calling, but wifi calling itself is a proprietary feature that they only enable on branded handsets.

So, the 5x can do packetized voice (VoLTE), but won't do wifi calling.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

Advanced Calling is VoLTE. A phone needs to support it as a prerequisite for Wifi calling, but wifi calling itself is a proprietary feature that they only enable on branded handsets.

So, the 5x can do packetized voice (VoLTE), but won't do wifi calling.

Figures it works on five other carriers with this phone but Verizon isn't one of them. :argh:

Thank you for the info!

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
So I'm having "google play services" battery drain issues again on my verizon HTC one m9. Last time, a factory reset solved my problems, but I don't want to reset my phone every two weeks just to keep it working. I'm trying to figure out an actual fix. So far I have tried:

Uninstalling ALL unnecessary apps, and ALL apps that use GPS
Disabled google play store entirely
Disabled all data to the google play store
Disabled high accuracy GPS
Disabled GPS history
Ensured google fit was not installed
Attempted to delete Google Play Services updates (grayed out for marshmallow)
Disabled google device manager
Put phone in airplane mode
Disabled account syncing and removed all but 1 account

and probably a few other things that didn't work. Is android 6.0 marshmallow really this garbage of software? My ancient phone running gingerbread works better. can't unlock my bootloader to flash 3rd party firmware because htc+verizon are garbage.

google play services also used a lot of data -- last month it used my entire plan's worth of data forcing me to pay for several extra gigs last month, and this month it's been using 200mb a day. play store is using some data as well despite being disabled. my friend at verizon said that occasionally they'll push bullshit known-bad updates onto peoples' phones to milk them for overage fees and he seems to think this is what's happening to my play services.

currently my battery lasts about an hour with all apps off and the screen off. google play services uses more than twice as much battery as playing pokemon go with the screen permanently on. also google play store won't stop using. phone's hot as hell and probably ruining my battery.

new phone isn't an option, i don't have a spare half grand laying around for an unlocked phone, and I will never buy a verizon phone or anything with a plan ever again after this experience.

edit: gservicefix did nothing

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 24, 2016

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

So Ars has their Moto Z review up and it seems to be a nice phone with useless Motomods addons but this part kinda stuck out:

Yeah go guck yourself Lenovo.

quote:

Update: We're getting conflicting information now on whether or not this is truly getting monthly updates. Motorola stated "Moto Z and Moto Z Force will be supported with patches from Android Security Bulletins. They will receive an update shortly after launch with additional patches." The word "monthly" is conspicuously absent from this statement though, so it's not a promise that the Moto Z will receive monthly security updates every month. For instance the 2015 Moto X was on the "February" security update for the past few months, and just recently it was updated to the "May" update. That's something like a "quarterly" security update. We've asked Motorola if the Verizon Moto Z and GSM Moto Z will be getting monthly security updates every month, and are waiting to hear back.

Apparently Motorola said differently now?

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/07/moto-z-review-lenovo-brings-a-huge-price-increase-lame-modular-system/

edit: gently caress, beaten

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I was getting itchy to upgrade my Sony Z3 so I bought a 32gb Nexus 5X. It is beautiful, it is light, the fingerprint reader works flawlessly and is in a great location, the camera is excellent (especially in low light), the phone charges super fast, and it's nice to finally be on Marshmallow.

The only things I miss are Sony's battery life and the SD card slot. I considered the new Motorola products but the performance looks lackluster, the cameras aren't good, and the quick Moto software updates are a thing of the past.

I agree with Ars Technica wholeheartedly; all hail the 5X!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Something has got to give with these security updates. Given how much we use our phones for purchases and transmitting personal information there is simply no justification for OEMs not keeping up to date with security.

How do companies respond when asked to justify not pushing patches?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

marshmallow is extremely good on battery life so your phone is broken somehow. factory reset it send it in for repair or buy a moto g4 unlocked for 150 from amazon

edit: this shouldn't affect you because you disabled all the google stuff but double check that now is off, it can kill battery badly

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Something has got to give with these security updates. Given how much we use our phones for purchases and transmitting personal information there is simply no justification for OEMs not keeping up to date with security.

If you give a poo poo about updates, vote with your wallet, and don't buy phones that aren't likely to get updates.

Obviously there is a perfect justification for OEMs not updating; most people don't care or even understand, and updates are expensive.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Skywalker OG posted:

FAUXTON posted:

Turns out a lot of things are upgrades when you have a Turbo.

I was happy with the Turbo for a long time, but a carrier unlocked phone with 4GB RAM and 64GB storage beats it hands down.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Blue Train posted:

marshmallow is extremely good on battery life so your phone is broken somehow. factory reset it send it in for repair or buy a moto g4 unlocked for 150 from amazon

edit: this shouldn't affect you because you disabled all the google stuff but double check that now is off, it can kill battery badly

it ended up being verizon cloud pinging the hell out of google play services. to any other verizon m9 users, if you have overheating or battery drain issues, disable all the shitwear and uninstall all updates you can to the google and verizon shitwear apps.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 25, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

it ended up being verizon cloud pinging the hell out of google play services. to any other verizon m9 users, if you have overheating or battery drain issues, disable all the shitwear and uninstall all updates you can to the google and verizon shitwear apps.

Why would you install the updates to the Google apps when by your own admission it is the Verizon garbage that is the cause of the problem?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Samsung responds by counting the millions of dollars they make and noting that they are already making money, why should they change? Other OEMs respond by saying that maintaining products after the sale costs money while earning you nothing and making Android phones is already not profitable so they aren't going to spend money they don't have to do something that users don't care about.

As Blitter said, it's not difficult to figure out. If users cared about updates they wouldn't buy phones that don't get them. Hell, you've got a guy right quoted in this same post who is uninstalling updates to everything. Users do not give a gently caress about security.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

Why would you install the updates to the Google apps when by your own admission it is the Verizon garbage that is the cause of the problem?

Samsung responds by counting the millions of dollars they make and noting that they are already making money, why should they change? Other OEMs respond by saying that maintaining products after the sale costs money while earning you nothing and making Android phones is already not profitable so they aren't going to spend money they don't have to do something that users don't care about.

As Blitter said, it's not difficult to figure out. If users cared about updates they wouldn't buy phones that don't get them. Hell, you've got a guy right quoted in this same post who is uninstalling updates to everything. Users do not give a gently caress about security.

While what you say is true, it's worth pointing out that Samsung is one of the only manufacturers keeping pace with Google when it comes to the security updates. The S7 is on the July patch while the rest of the line is on the June patch if I'm not mistaken.

Then again Samsung is the only android OEM that's been somewhat successful at creating something resembling an ecosystem within Android, so they have an incentive to update that others don't. When you can buy the new Moto G every year for 5 years for the price of one Galaxy S7, long term support isn't really a priority. More so when all of your profit comes from the sale of the hardware and providing updates is money spent toward supporting someone else's (Google's) revenue stream.

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

so my Galaxy S3 is making GBS threads the bed. I think I'm just going to upgrade. S5 / 6 / 7 ?? I can't do the research for myself.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

illestG posted:

so my Galaxy S3 is making GBS threads the bed. I think I'm just going to upgrade. S5 / 6 / 7 ?? I can't do the research for myself.

I really like my S7. If you don't mind TouchWiz, go for it.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

kensei posted:

I was happy with the Turbo for a long time, but a carrier unlocked phone with 4GB RAM and 64GB storage beats it hands down.

That's why I bought the international version of the Turbo from a Puerto Rican reseller. :downs:

My only regret is the updates are a little slow, but we got Marshmallow last week! Maybe we'll get chop-chop flashlights soon too!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So wait, let's figure this out - what is the oldest Nexus device that still receives regular security updates?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My Nexus 7 2013 tablet still gets them.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Pretty sure Nexus 5 still gets them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Holy crap has newegg gotten slower or something? Placed my order for the 6P at like 7 am tomorrow and its still in "order verification" status... Man I got spoiled by Amazon Prime I guess...