Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the game really isn't perfect but it is kinda funny to see everyone complain about the hunger system and talk about how there's 'nothing to find' when i've enjoyed myself with not having to eat and i keep finding cool poo poo everywhere. all the issues i have are with entirely unrelated things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
So did they just get rid of the unique ship AI faces for each race to make them all even more bland and interchangeable or does it go to the unique racial one when you finish repairing your ship?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

If you haven't played the game in a long time, now's the best time to get in and give it another go!

fool me once, shame on you...

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Isn't right now the moment where chucklefish should stop patting itself on the back and announce a post 1.0 roadmap?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

StevieWonder posted:

Good riddance, no one needs to have any "hope" anymore.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

nerdz posted:

Isn't right now the moment where chucklefish should stop patting itself on the back and announce a post 1.0 roadmap?

they're pretty content with the whole 'patting themselves on the back' routine, i've found

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Machai posted:

fool me once, shame on you...

quote:

Funny story, this game.

Back in 2011, I was creating a game called Nebula. Terraria had just released, so I got the bug of a 2D procedural sandbox game with building elements, but I was a Metroid die-hard and loved space, so I got a bunch of friends together to make a sort of space-based Terraria clone. That was.. I believe it was in May or June.

Fast forward a month. We're now settling on some actual solid concepts for our design and pushing a small prototype through the strainer. Written in C#, as we were experimenting with it after Terraria dropped, the game was showing a lot of progress and we were pretty excited (I was, and in some cases still am, an ANSI C die-hard.)

Tiyuri (the founder of Chucklefish) dials me up on IRC (Internet Relay Chat, for those uninformed.) The conversation happened on OSPNet. I was affiliated with sllabs (Secret Lair Labs) at the time. He talked to me about his new game, but instead of conversing with me as a decent person would, he made me sign an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) via the web.

Putting aside how hilarious an NDA-via-the-web is, I forwarded the e-mail back to him with my name and address and he proceeded to tell me to stop developing Nebula, because his new game, "Starship", was being developed and he didn't want competition. He said he'd give me a "job" working in his advertising department or whatever. Essentially, trying to buy/scare me into stopping development of what would be a free, open source, and potentially Steam-releasable game born out of a couple of friends messing around.

Eventually, of course, I said "no", but my other friends were kind of terrified at the thought of potential lawsuits. They eventually stopped working on Nebula, and at its early stage, the project tanked.

I bought this game purely to see what the "result" was. And I'm still laughing.

This game is the prime example of why someone like Tiy shouldn't lead a project. Tiy is a shoddy pixel artist looking for a way to scrape together cash off of other people's backs, and Starbound is a clear, eye-candy-inspiring way to do that. Early on, I was quite enamored. Environments that actually posed a threat? Jesus, that was something I had planned for Nebula. But then it tanked. And it tanked hard. And I never went back. Wish I could get a refund after the fact.

Don't buy this game. In fact, don't buy from Chucklefish ever again, lest your projects be preyed upon by a malicious and rather socially inept "indie developer".

UPDATE:

Proof:
(Broken screenshots)

These screenshots will be valid for about a week. After that, if requested, I'll re-post them.

UPDATE 2:

A track I've kept with me for several years. This was the Desert theme for Nebula.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1PffDhVKixrM3JiOXQyOUR1S3M/view?usp=sharing

UPDATE 3:

The original design document.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KK7u_nDDGOsaeP7o2Rp3ES659IX2KMduu1GsQ-GzClY/edit?usp=sharing&authkey=CJuah-4J

UPDATE 4:

Apparently, this review is absent from the public's view, despite being the highest rated on the Steam page! Hilarious.

:wow:

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

Johnny Joestar posted:

the game really isn't perfect but it is kinda funny to see everyone complain about the hunger system and talk about how there's 'nothing to find' when i've enjoyed myself with not having to eat and i keep finding cool poo poo everywhere. all the issues i have are with entirely unrelated things.

The exploration, collection and building is all fun, it's probably just what I wanted when I paid 10$ 4 years ago. I hope they work on some of the performance issues but I'm satisfied.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

What a baby.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Im the Script Poet

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Went to check it out, feels like less good terraria still, ah well.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
That ending was garbage.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I feel very fortunate because I never got far enough in the EA to get to the fun that they ended up removing. Less good terraria is all I've ever known.

Sword and Sceptre
Jan 24, 2011

by vyelkin
is there a way to make the interface not awful thanks

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

his friends sound like cowards scared by the vague idea of a lawsuit, assuming this is actually real

I mean what could they be sued over?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Slime posted:

his friends sound like cowards scared by the vague idea of a lawsuit, assuming this is actually real

having a design document, something starbound did not have

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:siren: Do not play on 'Survival' mode, play Casual :siren:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

voltcatfish posted:

I believe in mods at least. Mods can save starbound.

No

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Colon Semicolon posted:

be sure to put this on the workshop if you do.

Here ya go:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=730914084

Faster Farming

The mod reduces farm times by a factor of 3 (ish). The longest crops shouldn't take much more than 15 minutes now. It works for anything plantable, but should also work on the wild/naturally occurring variants, though I think it will only switch to this schedule after they've finished a growth cycle.

If you want something really incredibly fast, someone else put a speed-farming mod on the workshop that reduces growth times to 40 seconds per stage (so less than 3 minutes).

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Slime posted:

when you have enough money you can pretty much sue for anything and bank on them not having money to pay for good lawyers. i'm no legal expert but he could have tried saying it was infringing on intellectual property somehow or something like that. for the most part people, especially newcomers, are just terrified of having to deal with courts and the threat of it is enough even if your case holds no water

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

victrix posted:

:siren: Do not play on 'Survival' mode, play Casual :siren:

put dis in the op

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
I like it with mods, guys.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Main Paineframe posted:

put dis in the op

Starbound:Play on casual

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Starbound: A very casual experience

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Somebody made a mod that stops food from rotting, with the side effect of letting you stack it normally.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Is there a mod to lower enemy health or increase damage? I just wanna blow trash away with a shotgun not have to kite basically everything.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

leftist heap posted:

Is there a mod to lower enemy health or increase damage? I just wanna blow trash away with a shotgun not have to kite basically everything.

I very much want this. My enjoyment of the game is at it's highest when I'm not dealing with enemies.

Perhaps, alternatively, a mod to set all non-quest mobs as passive.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Why is the game trying to be annoying at every turn? There's too many little things here and there to name but they couldn't even be bothered to put descriptions on the achievements on Steam?

Here's the steam guide for anyone else who's into achievements. As you might've expected, a few of them are completely bullshit for no reason. Collect 50 action figures (1/1000 drop from any monster), Move 10 million blocks, yahta yahta.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 25, 2016

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

leftist heap posted:

To piggyback, is there a mod to remove contact damage?

Building and exploring in this game is actually pretty cool but I'm tired of having to be wary of literally every single thing I come across. Even on later planets as you tier up, everything gets tougher as well so you can never just run past poo poo without taking damage and it's getting on my nerves.

Also: unskippable cutscenes, no pausing, and the quests/completion being tied to character or world but usually not both. And no stacking to chests. What have they been doing this whole time :psyduck:

Soral
May 30, 2009

i played this for a short while in both single and multiplayer and it remains tremendously unfun. topic locked

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm a little lost on the enemy/weapon damage complaints - as long as I've been picking up new weapons on higher danger worlds, they've always kept pace with and/or made trivial all of the enemies I've encountered.

Pretty good variety too, with all the two handed weapons having a random special ability, shotguns or ARs with an underslung grenade launcher are good times. Or guided rocket launchers. Or magic wands with guided projectiles. etcetcetc.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
I would personally like a mod that let EPPs equip more Augments. +1 augment slot per tier, so 1 augment at start, 4 augments at Cooling EPP.

We're getting by with a mod that gives all Augments the Light effect, so at least there's that, but seriously.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
maybe I'm missing something but how am I supposed to make my ship bigger? I don't think the wiki is up-to-date cuz the quests listed aren't really here.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Yeah I just finished the crystal mission

I GUESS this is where the game opens up... but that mission was terrible for a first mission.
Like, the only weapons you can actually craft are primitive ones, you find decent weapons elsewhere, which kind of defeats the purpose of a crafting game. So there's not much I could've done to make my character more powerful before attempting this.

I really like the idea of this kind of mission level with terraria style combat, but this was not good. It was swarms of enemies that can kill you near instantly if they get close and that's it. Open a door, get ready to kite twenty of them, repeat, if you make a mistake you have to kite those same twenty fuckers again. No pausing and it goes on for loving FOREVER, and there's another hundred enemies to kite and chase you around behind every door. A hundred enemies with contact damage is not level design. And poo poo was flickering on and off by the end of the mission.

I did finish it and the boss but I feel like a more difficult version of this level would be like crotch hammeringly unfun. I imagine people who were saying this was inoffensive got better random drops.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Acne Rain posted:

Yeah I just finished the crystal mission

I GUESS this is where the game opens up... but that mission was terrible for a first mission.
Like, the only weapons you can actually craft are primitive ones, you find decent weapons elsewhere, which kind of defeats the purpose of a crafting game. So there's not much I could've done to make my character more powerful before attempting this.

I really like the idea of this kind of mission level with terraria style combat, but this was not good. It was swarms of enemies that can kill you near instantly if they get close and that's it. Open a door, get ready to kite twenty of them, repeat, if you make a mistake you have to kite those same twenty fuckers again. No pausing and it goes on for loving FOREVER, and there's another hundred enemies to kite and chase you around behind every door. A hundred enemies with contact damage is not level design. And poo poo was flickering on and off by the end of the mission.

I did finish it and the boss but I feel like a more difficult version of this level would be like crotch hammeringly unfun. I imagine people who were saying this was inoffensive got better random drops.

I died the first time I tried it, so I tried rushing it the second time, and there were no enemies at the bottom. I guess I got lucky because on try two, he never spawned the pink guys and I managed to not even get hit :shrug:

I never would have GOT to that point if a steam friend hadn't left a couple of nice pistols in the locker of my ship, though...

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

leftist heap posted:

No poo poo, I've always been dead awful at kb&m platforming, so having these adorable swarms of killing ease off a bit would actually make me want to play further. Alternately something that makes tents and stuff heal faster. It felt like I was ducking inside one every other minute and my phone was charging out of reach so I didn't have anything to do

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

JerikTelorian posted:

Alright, I'm gonna make a mod to change farm times to something reasonable.

Looking at some charts now, there's 4 potential lengths for crop growth: ~20m (e.g., Carrot, Wheat); ~30m (e.g., Cotton, Tomato, Sugarcane), ~40m (e.g. Pineapple, Potato); and ~45m (e.g. Cocoa, Corn).

Ideally I'm going to keep these 4 groups (there's actually 5, but two are the same length but with different "stages") distinct, only because it's easier to make the mod. I'm thinking something like 6-9-12-15m? Thoughts?
Can you make it so you don't need to water plants while you're at it? Also, make it so plants have a reasonable chance of dropping seeds along with the crop so you can actually expand your farm without having to hunt down more, say, cotton seeds?

Also has anybody found a mod which removes food rotting outright?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mean, assuming this is true and all, even with tiy being a primo turd like usual i kinda feel like this person's planned game also wouldn't have turned out super amazing

i don't really have much faith in weird sandbox crafting games these days, to be honest. everyone talks like they have an amazing idea and then crank out some half-baked trash

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't really have much faith in weird sandbox crafting games these days, to be honest.

I love Subnautica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

victrix posted:

I'm a little lost on the enemy/weapon damage complaints - as long as I've been picking up new weapons on higher danger worlds, they've always kept pace with and/or made trivial all of the enemies I've encountered.

Pretty good variety too, with all the two handed weapons having a random special ability, shotguns or ARs with an underslung grenade launcher are good times. Or guided rocket launchers. Or magic wands with guided projectiles. etcetcetc.

People are also averse to making new armor sets for some reason, despite the fact that they massively boost your damage.