Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Phlag posted:

Here's some of what I use:
  • VideoPane ("detaches" video players so that you can do picture-in-picture while using other apps. It's pretty nifty.)

This is pretty much the reason I'm going to jailbreak. I'm surprises it's not officially support for 6+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The Iron Rose posted:

so as someone who's never jailbroken before, what are the recommended tweaks and the like that people suggest

What I used to use before I got a SE:

-Zeppelin: remove the stupid carrier name for the status bar. Mandatory for Vodafone subscribers.
-BerryC8: launch directly into one of several apps from the lock screen.
-FakeClockUp (or No Slow Animations) : speeds up all IOS transition animations. You never know how slow your phone feels to navigate until you go back to stock after using this.
-Onetapclear: clear notifications with one tap instead of two. Amazing!!!

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 25, 2016

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

SpookyLizard posted:

I haven't had an iPhone in a while, i didn't know they had flux functionality built in. I only popped in to see if it would be worth upgrading my iPad air from 7 to current since there's a jailbreak coming out.

I think going from 7>9 is such a big jump in stock functionality that I wouldn't want to go back to 7 just for a jailbreak. PiP video is huge, for one.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
iOS 9.3.3 update and jailbreak trip report:

Update went smoothly! Make sure you download the IPSW for your device, make a backup via iTunes or iCloud and then shift-click restore in iTunes and select your IPSW to restore clean.

I created a new apple id exclusively for doing the certificate signing portion of the jailbreak.

I then restored my phone and then jailbroke it as soon as all my apps had finished downloading.

I did have to reboot once to fix an error with notes and iCloud photos not synching, but the reboot fixed it all right up.

9.3.3 is way, way smoother on my 6s+ than 9.0.2 was, and I’m looking forward to not having any more nightly spontaneous reboots.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So it's semi-tethered? I feel like everytime a tethered or semi-tethered jailbreak comes out the non-tethered one follows very shortly after. So might just wait a bit

Guy on Reddit posted a little step-by-step guide

http://iostweaker.com/2016/07/24/jailbreak-jailbreak-released-ios-9-2-9-3-3-pangu/

Guess not about the untethered?

quote:

For those of you who are asking if you'll get an update from tethered to untethered via Cydia: The answer is NO!

This is not a tethered jailbreak since it doesn't require a PC after rebooting your phone. This new type of jailbreak has its own advantages which people are not aware off.

Pangu mentioned on their website:

Jailbreak on the demand

The latest Pangu jailbreak tool allows the user to jailbreak iOS devices on the demand. The user can easily jailbreak the iOS devices by running the click-to-jailbreak app, and also easily remove the jailbreak by rebooting the iOS devices. In other words, the user has full control to enable or disable the jailbreak functionality.

In short: untetherless jailbreaks mean that stuff like loading daemons on boot will never work.

*Pangu 9.2-9.3.3 jailbreak doesn't perform filesystem stashing. Therefore, Reset All Settings/Erase All Content buttons are safe. *

https://twitter.com/angelXwind/status/757288934690938880

It means in future if you want to reset everything and start fresh, it'll be possible now. You don't have to depend for Cydia Impactor or Semirestore.

Edit: As "qwertyoruiop" said: I believe non untethered jailbreaks will be the new normal.

https://twitter.com/qwertyoruiopz/status/757187579427033088

Inputs are welcome.

But yeah instead of making a new Apple ID is there anything wrong with simply changing your password, jailbreaking, then changing it again?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 25, 2016

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
It's semi untethered. New term I guess. Use http://imokhles.com/pangujb/ instead of a computer. Its from an r/jailbreak regular dev. No giving away apple ids

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

It's semi untethered. New term I guess. Use http://imokhles.com/pangujb/ instead of a computer. Its from an r/jailbreak regular dev. No giving away apple ids
I was gonna hold off for a while cause I don't have easy access to a windows machine and I didn't want to deal with reading non-english but I just did this and it took like 30 seconds and worked fine. Thanks.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

So is this a update iPhone (6, but I don't think it matters) to latest stock iOS, then visit that website on my phone browser?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I think so? Curious as well. I do remember jailbreaking a while back via a website from my phone.

Ok sweet. Got an error when updating/restoring my iphone via itunes but simply unplugging it to my computer and then plugging it back in prompted it to download and update my carrier settings and that was it.

When I locked my phone the first time when trying to initiate the JB nothing happened even after waiting a while. My phone was plugged in, not sure if that mattered. When I did a force reboot (home/lock button) the App was gone but I just simply got it via the link again. Worked the second time around.

Cydia doesn't close when I open it

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 26, 2016

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Go to that website on your phone and click the link that says install. It'll add the jailbreaking tool to your home screen.

Go into your settings and authorize the new jailbreaking app so that you can run it. Settings > General > Device Management

Open the jailbreak app, uncheck the box below the circle, tap the circle, and then lock your phone and wait for it to reboot (may take upwards of 30 seconds, just be patient).

Once your phone reboots Cydia will be installed and you'll be jailbroken.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
You don't know how GOOD it feels to finally reinstall LittleBrother, especially since I moved from a 6 to an SE, so screen real estate was really starting to bug me. So much leg room now. Ahhhhh...

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So no more shift-click updating via downloading the iphone firmware etc?

Thanks for the deets. Updating now via itunes

Ok sweet. Got an error when updating/restoring my iphone via itunes but simply unplugging it to my computer and then plugging it back in prompted it to download and update my carrier settings and that was it.

When I locked my phone the first time when trying to initiate the JB nothing happened even after waiting a while. My phone was plugged in, not sure if that mattered. When I did a force reboot (home/lock button) the App was gone but I just simply got it via the link again. Worked the second time around.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 26, 2016

Mr_Angry
May 15, 2003
A severe disappointment
College Slice

Bill Barber posted:

Go to that website on your phone and click the link that says install. It'll add the jailbreaking tool to your home screen.

Go into your settings and authorize the new jailbreaking app so that you can run it. Settings > General > Device Management

Open the jailbreak app, uncheck the box below the circle, tap the circle, and then lock your phone and wait for it to reboot (may take upwards of 30 seconds, just be patient).

Sorry to come into this thread late but any idea of what to do when Cydia refuses to start? I did an update via iTunes to 9.3.3 and then installed PP via Safari and all worked well yet when I try to launch Cydia it just closes. I know I've been able to jailbreak as when I translate the Chinese characters from the Pangu app it says all was successful yet Cydia won't start.

Thanks for any suggestions that people have.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I hate to be that guy but have you tried restarting? A lot of people have been complaining about various issues like location or cydia not working that was fixed with a simple restart of the phone

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mr_Angry posted:

Sorry to come into this thread late but any idea of what to do when Cydia refuses to start? I did an update via iTunes to 9.3.3 and then installed PP via Safari and all worked well yet when I try to launch Cydia it just closes. I know I've been able to jailbreak as when I translate the Chinese characters from the Pangu app it says all was successful yet Cydia won't start.

Thanks for any suggestions that people have.

You need to run the Pangu app every time you reboot. Hit the circle, wait 10 seconds, lock your phone. Wait another twenty seconds for it to respring, and you're set.

Mr_Angry
May 15, 2003
A severe disappointment
College Slice

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I hate to be that guy but have you tried restarting? A lot of people have been complaining about various issues like location or cydia not working that was fixed with a simple restart of the phone
No worries on being that guy as it's a valid question. In this case though I have done multiple resets and power off and back on's and I still have the issue. Only thing I have not tried is the old home and power button hard reset, which I will try now.

Who knows, perhaps this is a residual effect of when I did an 8.4 jailbreak and for some reason my time zone is now hard coded to Copenhagen even though I've not lived in Europe for a few months.

Will try the equivalent of pulling the battery now.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Bill Barber posted:

How long should I wait after I lock my phone? It was plugged into my computer so I unplugged it. It's vibrated but still seemingly off

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

How long should I wait after I lock my phone? It was plugged into my computer so I unplugged it. It's vibrated but still seemingly off
Mine took like a minute maybe two.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Can anyone remind me the name of the tweak that lets you set rotation lock and force portrait/landscape on a per-app basis?

Edit: Portrait Lock. It even remembered my settings from my previous iPhone 5S!

Not updated for 9.3.3.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 27, 2016

Mr_Angry
May 15, 2003
A severe disappointment
College Slice

The Iron Rose posted:

You need to run the Pangu app every time you reboot. Hit the circle, wait 10 seconds, lock your phone. Wait another twenty seconds for it to respring, and you're set.
Believe me, I've done that and I even double checked by re-running the Pangu app and translating the Chinese where it gives me a success message--Cydia just won't start and none of my previous jailbreak apps show up. It's as if Cydia just did not install correctly the first time.

I'll see if any new ideas show up here or on other sites but if nothing else I may have to restore from backup and try again but I'd like to avoid that pain in the rear end.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far though, I appreciate it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Activator JUST updated per @UpdatedTweaks

It didn't work for me earlier when I tried it on 9.3 but I'll redownload and try again.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Mr_Angry posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions so far though, I appreciate it.

I rebooted to see how the semi-tethered thing worked. Cydia was still there but would close when I opened it. I ran the JB app and the first time cydia still closed on opening after it rebooted and supposedly installed. The second time it worked however, and now cydia opens

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

where can i find controllers4all now

its the only reason im jailbreaking my ipad air 2, and cydia has it listed in my account (bought it when i jailbroke my iphone 5 for a little while) but can't find the source now

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

where can i find controllers4all now

its the only reason im jailbreaking my ipad air 2, and cydia has it listed in my account (bought it when i jailbroke my iphone 5 for a little while) but can't find the source now
Did you wait for Cydia to fully load all the sources when you first opened it? When I first got in I did a mad dash to log into my account and check out my previously purchased list but it couldn't find any of the sources to download them until I let Cydia sit for a few minutes to finish downloading all the source data.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Bill Barber posted:

Did you wait for Cydia to fully load all the sources when you first opened it? When I first got in I did a mad dash to log into my account and check out my previously purchased list but it couldn't find any of the sources to download them until I let Cydia sit for a few minutes to finish downloading all the source data.

i figured that so im letting it sit for now

i'd rather not jailbreak my ipad but i love having my Dual Shock 3 hooked up for playing emulators

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I'm still on 8.4 on my 6+. It's really tempting to update but I'm also super happy with how stable my phone is in its current state.

Is it worth the jump/risk?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Hamburlgar posted:

I'm still on 8.4 on my 6+. It's really tempting to update but I'm also super happy with how stable my phone is in its current state.

Is it worth the jump/risk?
Yes. iOS9 is good.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Bill Barber posted:

Should we redo it with this if we already did it with the Chinese version?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Nope, the only difference is that this one does not need your iTunes account details to install it.

Mr_Angry
May 15, 2003
A severe disappointment
College Slice

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I rebooted to see how the semi-tethered thing worked. Cydia was still there but would close when I opened it. I ran the JB app and the first time cydia still closed on opening after it rebooted and supposedly installed. The second time it worked however, and now cydia opens

I'm just at a loss here. I did a restore to get my iPhone back to its initial state and then re-installed the PP app and even ensured that I had passcode and other things turned off and again the PP app installed successfully, rebooted and got Cydia on my phone. Yet, when I try to run Cydia it just opens and immediately closes. Even if I verify that my phone is jailbroken via PP where I get the success message (screenshot below) I still cannot get Cydia to launch.

Any ideas? At this point do I just need to download the ISPW and do a full restore and import everything again?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Any time you restart your phone you have to rerun the PP app, accept notifications, hit the big button, lock your phone, then swipe the notification that comes up. Every time.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone unable to install anything on 9.3?

Mr_Angry
May 15, 2003
A severe disappointment
College Slice
I've tried everything and still Cydia refuses to load; I simply don't understand it. At this point I figure I should just restore from the ISPW I downloaded and reset the file system as something is up and I just don't know what. For reference though the original github.com address to get the PP app is no longer working and the developer moved it to the following site according to this how-to guide that I've been following:

http://totoateam.com/pangujb/

Mr_Angry
May 15, 2003
A severe disappointment
College Slice
Apologies for the double post but I wanted to close the loop on suggestions that various people had been giving me. In the end I ended up just downloading the ISPW and doing a full restore as ever since I had applied the 8.4 jailbreak my timezone was never setting correctly anymore and was stuck to Europe. Between that nagging issue and the fact Cydia just wouldn't start I figured I had something up with the file system and the full restore did in fact help as I'm now able to run the PP app, jailbreak and then have Cydia successfully launch.

And the URL I provided above does seem to be the new place to get the PP app and I like the fact you can select to not have the dubious Chinese app store installed or the fact they no longer require your Apple ID (I worked in China for years, I would not trust any data on servers housed there I'm sorry to say).

Thanks for the various suggestions, in the end it was just something unique with my device that I needed to clear.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Anyone have success with iPad pro? Someone above heard they have issues and I really wanna jailbreak this thing!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Can anyone remind me the name of the tweak that lets you set rotation lock and force portrait/landscape on a per-app basis?

Edit: Portrait Lock. It even remembered my settings from my previous iPhone 5S!

No good, looks like apps that are locked to an orientation crash on launch.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

~Coxy posted:

No good, looks like apps that are locked to an orientation crash on launch.
Pewp.

Is there anything like this more simplified that lets you set orientation lock BUT videos automatically work in landscape because that's like 90% of my usage.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I installed an outdated tweak that crashes my phone when I boot into jailbreak, tossing me back into non-jailbreaked mode and making it impossible to remove the tweak. Is restoring and re-jailbreaking my only option now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
So is there a new site for the Safari download and install jailbreak? The totoateam.com install button keeps returning a "Cannot connect to totoateam.com" error message.

• Locked thread