Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I've never played this before so here we go dragonfall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Dragonfall is really good. Also it has a good dogge :woof:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really loved Dragonfall. I burned out on Hong Kong halfway through because I played it immediately after Dragonfall--I should go back to it, it was definitely good.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Hong Kong is better

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I played a Mage in Hong Kong and holy poo poo are they overpowered. The dragon veins just turn you into a magic god. Pretty fun, though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
LISA had permadeath Russian Roulette games for benefits, if that's relevant to the permadeath conversation.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

LISA had permadeath Russian Roulette games for benefits, if that's relevant to the permadeath conversation.

This just reminds me of the discussion about Chrono Cross that (I think) was earlier in this thread since both it and Lisa have a similar number of characters.

Make it so they can permadie :getin:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Treating every character death as a failure condition is a fine and satisfactory way to play Fire Emblem.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Stelas posted:

I feel I should point out there is a Nep thread also for assorted and associated bad games.

But talking about it here is cool too.

I'll probably still keep rambling in here about the fun bits but thanks for this.

(none of you were kidding when you said Victory/Rebirth 3 is just such a massive leap over the last two, holy poo poo)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

i am done playing a very good game today

Now play Shadow Hearts: From the New World. From what I understand, the weirdness in Covenant is rather subtle compared to From the New World :allears:.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Now play Shadow Hearts: From the New World. From what I understand, the weirdness in Covenant is rather subtle compared to From the New World :allears:.

Eh. Yes and no.

From The New World is basically like someone say "People like how weird SH:C is! Let's do more of that!" but in the end it feels kinda of forced and repetitive, especially since they repeat jokes from SH:C.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It's good in its own right (and has the best version of the battle system) but as a followup to SHC it's a bit weak. Still worth it, especially since it got a reprint a while back.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont hate from the new world but the weirdness in covenant was already a little too much to me. and stuff like the dog fight sidequest is funny because it's in a game that while not 100% serious takes itself somewhat seriously. there's a mix between it taking the story seriously and presenting a legitimately interesting world with characters who have well-defined goals and it going off into some bizarre sideshow about alien dogs or kurando's mom getting hot for yuri or whatever. The weird stuff sticks out because there's contrast.

Compare to from the new world, which is pretty much just silly from beginning to end, the weird stuff isn't as fun or engaging. There's no contrast, no meat to it. Nothing against games that are mostly jokes but to make a terrible metaphor, if you're tossing stuff against the wall and seeing what lands, there needs to be a wall. If there's no wall, then nothing can land.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Hilda and Ricardo were good, at least. Frank kinda felt like a low-rent Joachim.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i plan on playing from the new world, but not for a long while. i've got lots of other games i'm more interested in, and covenant was a satisfying ending to the series so far for me

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

i dont hate from the new world but the weirdness in covenant was already a little too much to me. and stuff like the dog fight sidequest is funny because it's in a game that while not 100% serious takes itself somewhat seriously. there's a mix between it taking the story seriously and presenting a legitimately interesting world with characters who have well-defined goals and it going off into some bizarre sideshow about alien dogs or kurando's mom getting hot for yuri or whatever. The weird stuff sticks out because there's contrast.

Compare to from the new world, which is pretty much just silly from beginning to end, the weird stuff isn't as fun or engaging. There's no contrast, no meat to it. Nothing against games that are mostly jokes but to make a terrible metaphor, if you're tossing stuff against the wall and seeing what lands, there needs to be a wall. If there's no wall, then nothing can land.

Yeah, weirdly, it feels more natural? The entire world is just weird in its own way instead of Always Goofy Weird.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there is one thing about ftnw that seems cool and good though

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

DACK FAYDEN posted:

mutants and a few other enemies also had the potential to kill party members for good at any time. pretty rare to see it happen though

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The LiEat trilogy is good.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

ie Permadeath.

The only game I can think of that even remotely fits the criteria is Lost Dimension.
It's a game where party members will inevitably die off and your living party members equip their powers and can access unique combo skills depending on whose power they have equipped.
Unfortunately this is probably the biggest thing the game has going for it. Not bad per se, but utterly forgettable in every other way as every facet of the game sells out to that concept.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the true ending requirements for that game required the rng to play nice so that the random traitors weren't the same people from the first playthrough so you could do the loyalty mission for every character. so, if you got sufficiently unlucky you might have to restart or play through repeatedly. it was otherwise a pretty forgettable game, but that is such an awful design decision.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Serious Frolicking posted:

the true ending requirements for that game required the rng to play nice so that the random traitors weren't the same people from the first playthrough so you could do the loyalty mission for every character. so, if you got sufficiently unlucky you might have to restart or play through repeatedly. it was otherwise a pretty forgettable game, but that is such an awful design decision.

iirc you can do the loyalty missions even if someone is a traitor

so at most it will take 3 playthroughs

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'll probably still keep rambling in here about the fun bits but thanks for this.

(none of you were kidding when you said Victory/Rebirth 3 is just such a massive leap over the last two, holy poo poo)

Its another decent leap in quality between Rebirth 3 and V-II. You can tell they were testing out mechanics and improvements in Fairy Fencer F (a surprisingly good game) and Omega Quintet (eh, not bad I guess?) for future Nep games since it seems to be paying off.

We still dont speak of the other CH/IF games though.

Also Tactics Ogre/Final Fantasy Tactics were the only games to do permadeath right. Character gets knocked out for X rounds and if you cant rescue them before the timer runs out they are gone forever.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah but the AI can't compete with sand bagging so I hope that one never comes back either.

SRPGs are just a mess of mechanical problems. It's no wonder nearly every single one has given up on challenge unless you introduce permadeath to the equation. Or idk, go the Hoshigami route.

I prefer SRW's approach with bonus objectives, or Fire Emblem's Conquest route with the weird map gimmicks + permadeath.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Rascyc posted:

I just always think of Shining Force when it comes to an SRPG without death consequences. Fun games in their own right but when you gently caress up and someone dies, it's just whatever. There are maybe three fights in the entire shining force series where you risk a game over and all three involve particular bosses. If anything characters dying is a big annoyance cause you can no longer give them experience for that battle.

Oh wait - there's a 4th. The chess battle is a legit power spike on the enemy side and not many people hit that place sufficiently leveled. Thankfully you can boss rush it and it always seemed that was intended since it's a loving chess board.
I like that in a strategy game. Permadeath is basically gaming the game as much as you can and that feels like a chore than fun. Shining Force allows you to spread out and make lots of terrible decisions, but it still ends up fun, because you have options for each battle. Use terrible members or rush the boss before everyone drops dead. No need to worry about bosses with bullshit armor (excluding Taros) or super powers you have to plan far in advance to counter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway it says a lot about the srpg genre that the best srpg ever made is a touhou fangame

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Endorph posted:

anyway it says a lot about the srpg genre that the best srpg ever made is a touhou fangame

What is the name of said game(s).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kokoro Wish posted:

What is the name of said game(s).

fantasy maiden wars e/p/i

e is good but very short and has like an 8 person cast but it introduces the very unique mechanics that make p and i so good (except the twin system and the actually good wp system, those don't get introduced until p)

you should play all of them in order anyway because saves carry over from one game to the next

the tl patches are kind of a pain to grab though iirc and if you want to buy them legit that's pretty hard

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

e is good but very short and has like an 8 person cast but it introduces the very unique mechanics that make p and i so good (except the twin system and the actually good wp system, those don't get introduced until p)

you should play all of them in order anyway because saves carry over from one game to the next

the tl patches are kind of a pain to grab though iirc and if you want to buy them legit that's pretty hard
Alright, I trust you. I'll play it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's the only strategy rpg in existence to have good bosses due to every boss tossing out weird effects and having multiple, shorter lifebars instead of one giant lifebar, each with a different attack/terrain effect so instead of just having everyone dump their finishes into the boss there's actual thought in which attacks to burn your ammo/mp on and which to try and just survive through on weaker attacks

the cast is actually balanced decently too since instead of flat deployment slots each unit falls into a few different 'cost' tiers and each map gives you a certain amount of deployment space, so you can deploy a bunch of weaker units for more options/being able to spread yourself thinner or a few really strong units to just steamroll everything. the general strategy is still usually 'the best high cost units, a couple of mid-cost units, and then whatever you have leftover', and some characters are kinda bad, but at least there's some thought you have to put into that and the bad characters have some sort of interesting or at least unique trait to them

and there's decent cast variety, too, since each character is built for certain things and the wp system gives every character a few unique mechanics to play around with, like one character who can make all their attacks infinite range for a turn or one who can gently caress around with positioning

and between difficulty options, the optional bonus objectives, and gimmick runs like not upgrading your units or only using the low cost units you can make the game challenging but not impossible no matter what your skill level is

they aren't perfect but they're the only actually innovative srpgs to be released in a long time, and unlike sting games the systems actually work together in a satisfying and fun way instead of feeling like they were designed by a madman (and i like sting games)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_1LMO46uDs

also all the music is good

also the fourth game came out i think?? but i haven't played that

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Endorph posted:

They're not hard to grab at all. I won't risk posting links here just in case of :filez: but google Akurasu Wiki and you'll be fine. It's a SRW information site but it has stuff for a few of the spinoffs.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Legend of Cao Cao touches a bit on permadeath: It's mostly scripted events for certain characters on certain maps that you can choose to do or not but you do get one of a kind equipment if you do get them killed. For example on Ding Jun Red if Xiahou Yuan and Huang Zhong end up adjacent to each other Huang Zhong will go psychotic senior citizen and kill XIahou Yuan in a cutscene duel but after the map you'll get an accessory that gives +2 movement (the same duel occurs in Ding Jun Blue but Xiahou Yuan only retreats there because ???). Plus letting one character live or die affects a later map and can unlock another after it.

It isn't much, it's only four/two characters based on what endgame route you take. The treasures you get usually aren't worth the character you sacrifice either, like losing one of your best melee units for armor that recover some HP per turn. It also isn't an integral mechanic to the game, DIan Wei will only die if he hits zero HP on one map, if you save him there he's with you for the rest of the game. Guo Jia and his influence on Chibi is the only halfway interesting one since you can't do the Escape from Chibi map if he lives.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Scrublord Prime posted:

Legend of Cao Cao touches a bit on permadeath: It's mostly scripted events for certain characters on certain maps that you can choose to do or not but you do get one of a kind equipment if you do get them killed. For example on Ding Jun Red if Xiahou Yuan and Huang Zhong end up adjacent to each other Huang Zhong will go psychotic senior citizen and kill XIahou Yuan in a cutscene duel but after the map you'll get an accessory that gives +2 movement (the same duel occurs in Ding Jun Blue but Xiahou Yuan only retreats there because ???). Plus letting one character live or die affects a later map and can unlock another after it.

It isn't much, it's only four/two characters based on what endgame route you take. The treasures you get usually aren't worth the character you sacrifice either, like losing one of your best melee units for armor that recover some HP per turn. It also isn't an integral mechanic to the game, DIan Wei will only die if he hits zero HP on one map, if you save him there he's with you for the rest of the game. Guo Jia and his influence on Chibi is the only halfway interesting one since you can't do the Escape from Chibi map if he lives.

It's a shame they didn't make more games in this style since I like the settings of ROTTK and Nobunagas Ambition but the gameplay of them have never clicked but I liked Legend of Cao Cao a whole lot.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think the first FMW game has some definite problems due to being a low powered SRW-type game with no real supers so there are definitely times were it gets frustrating due to most of your defensive options being RNG based. Especially if you are playing the Marisa route because she is the only decently powerful attacker you have and she has garbage accuracy against bosses even with friendship bonuses and focusing. I haven't played the later games. I should get around to it sometime.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

corn in the bible posted:

I've never played this before so here we go dragonfall

Enjoy! The game is not perfect but there were a lot of things I loved about it and I envy anyone going into their first playthrough of it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Make sure to play HK afterwards too

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

I think the first FMW game has some definite problems due to being a low powered SRW-type game with no real supers so there are definitely times were it gets frustrating due to most of your defensive options being RNG based. Especially if you are playing the Marisa route because she is the only decently powerful attacker you have and she has garbage accuracy against bosses even with friendship bonuses and focusing. I haven't played the later games. I should get around to it sometime.

Is it so frustrating that I'd want to play on Easy, or

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have been meaning to get back into Shadowrun Dragonfall, specially since I actually backed Hong Kong on the strength of what I had played so far. I do kind of want to restart though. Not that it is too big of a deal; I am only past the Drug Pit, which I think is the first major mission after the tutorial mission.

My character was a Decker, focused on Intelligence and Tech, and not a whole lot of skills with guns. As such, he felt like dead weight during actual combat. The drone helped, but it only could do so much. Should I restart with more combat oriented skills? Or should I stop worrying and go with it?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Verranicus posted:

It's a shame they didn't make more games in this style since I like the settings of ROTTK and Nobunagas Ambition but the gameplay of them have never clicked but I liked Legend of Cao Cao a whole lot.

Yeah, I'd love to play the other games in the series but only LoCC was ever translated and afaik there's nothing for the other games. One big factor in LoCC getting fan translated was there were already modding tools that could (manually) insert the translated text back into the game.