Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

Only one day of sitting staring in procrastination at a pile of stuff is something of a record for me. 2 or 3 weeks is the normal average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.
I Shachi do hereby oath 1 Magister Helynna (warmachine) warcaster for the month of July.

I also plan on cleaning up my work space...its nearly unusable at this point.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

GoodBee posted:

I, GoodBee, oath one Guild Ball Fishermen starter (Shark, Angel and Siren) + Salt, and these 7 pieces of terrain I made out of crap lying around my house for this game I have yet to play.

Terrain WIP pic:

I'm having way too much fun with terrain that I haven't started on my minis yet.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I, wdarkk, oath one Dropzone Commander Nemesis Command Walker (Dropzone Commander, 10mm, Resin) for the month of July.

This is my first time using the airbrush "in action" for a model rather than some sort of test object.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

GoodBee posted:

Terrain WIP pic:

Added swamp grass.

Edit: added clump foliage and some mossy stuff. Put one layer of water effects on one piece as a test. It looks like I'll need at least one more layer.

GoodBee fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 20, 2016

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

I, Southern heel, do vow to paint this unit of Dwarf Berserkers and Dwarf Lord

and

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Is this your "oath complete" post? If it is, you should write it, so it easy to spot the post, and you need your username in the pictures if you want any points.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Electric Hobo posted:

Is this your "oath complete" post? If it is, you should write it, so it easy to spot the post, and you need your username in the pictures if you want any points.

I'm sorry I'm really no good at this am I :) I will edit the post. do I need to have a piece of paper in the photo, or is a watermark enough?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Southern Heel posted:

I'm sorry I'm really no good at this am I :) I will edit the post. do I need to have a piece of paper in the photo, or is a watermark enough?

No problem :) Adding your username in some editing software is fine, so you don't have to take any new photos.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Southern Heel posted:

This is a good example of an Oath Completion, for reference:

Luebbi posted:

Oath Complete

Claiming Life's a beach!

The important parts are:

* The Oath Complete text
* List of jurnals and achievements being claimed
* Clear pic with username on it

If you'd added WIP pics or Speed painting in other posts, you'd need to include those (or at least links) in the completion post too.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Oath Complete

(No special rules or achievements this time)

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Additional oath! A Desecrator (Privateer Press)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Oath complete!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Here's another WIP shot; I just finished my Tempestus Scion:

You might notice he's missing his antenna. That's because the bastard snapped off with the tiniest nudge and was forever lost in the carpet. So we'll just pretend it's retracted.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I noticed that one of the Kraken's guns was missing from my oath, so uh...
Oath correction? Addition? I don't know but I'm playing it safe:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Welp, I finished painting up all that terrain and there's still a week left this month, guess it's time for an Oath Addition!

I, Zark the Damned, oath the following for July 2016:
One Reaper Bones Cthulhu

Also there's a preview of some of the terrain in the background I guess.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack
:siren:Hey Krushgroove:siren:

I sent you my pick for last month's grab bag, just wanted to make sure you got the email.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

jubelio posted:

:siren:Hey Krushgroove:siren:

I sent you my pick for last month's grab bag, just wanted to make sure you got the email.

I think he's just busy, I also sent an email he hasn't replied to yet.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack
totally cool since I am deferring delivery til the end of the season anyway, just wanted to make sure it got to him.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Same here. If it is like past Oath threads, everything is backed up but should be gotten around to eventually. No biggie.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Oath Addition!

Because this is the only way I can get that pesky bonus point, THIS IS A RESCUE!.. Sakana, from Guild Ball's Fishermen Team... hopefully he triggers the 'somehow related to water' clause of the technical challenge for the month!

He's half finished because I was losing interest in the fishermen team and had picked up Butchers just before I got hold of him, he got half painted and left to gather dust whilst I dived into the butchers with both feet. It's about time he gets finished off.

His skin is done and his blue-y turquoise armour bits are done, beyond that he's got some base colours on his trousers and that's it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I oath one huge hangar building and a frog monster.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
:siren:
Oath complete!

Who says the light above your stove isn't good for pictures!

The terrain is for Would July-ke to paint some terrain, my Lord?. I don't think it quite qualifies as Epic, and I don't have suitable minis for Picture Time with me. But Rules Lawyer for 40k:

Spore Chimney: 50 points.
Setup per the infiltrate rules
Counts as 5+ cover, when a non-tyranid unit shoots while within 6", or targets the spore chimney, immediately after resolving the shooting the chimney's sensitive defensive system will spread spore mines. Create a unit of 3 spore mines within 6", and at least 1" away from enemy units.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 25, 2016

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Any way I can be part of this thread if models take me like 3-4 weeks to finish? It can work if I wait to start until the 1st of the month, but don't want to hold back painting for arbitrary date. If it's not possible I understand.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Mugaaz posted:

Any way I can be part of this thread if models take me like 3-4 weeks to finish? It can work if I wait to start until the 1st of the month, but don't want to hold back painting for arbitrary date. If it's not possible I understand.

That sounds like it should work out well for you once you get into the swing of things. Join on the 1st, paint your dude(s) then oath again on the 1st of the next month.

You can do prep work in advance, like cleaning, assembling, and priming. If you've got your August oath ready to go, you can prep your September oath while you're waiting. Check out the challenges. If you've got stuff you want to paint to anyway that will fulfill a challenge, you can schedule to paint it for that month.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
I, Ledgem, Oath a Swamp Horror from Privateer Press for July 2016

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Oath Complete!

Also claiming box art for Natasha:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I, Floppychop, oath to paint 8 Ork slugga boyz and 1 Ork rokkit boy by Games Workshop for July 2016

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 25, 2016

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Oath Complete!

Area Terrain Bases and flat inserts - the stumps are deliberately left bare while I try settle on which trees I want to mount on them

Great Cthulhu! Ia! Ia! Ia! These pics don't show it too well but I'm pretty happy at the green to purple blend on his face tentacles

Swamps and Lakes

Temple of Skulls

Walls, Crates and Gravestones

Big rocks and candy-red Bloodstones, this was achieved via multiple layers of GW Blood for the Blood God over a silver base

Claiming Jurnal for Great Cthulhu and the water features, b]WIP Photos[/b] for the crates, and Backstory for the Bloodstones intro (see below):

Step 1: Basecoat in Army Painter Leather Brown, not worrying too much about getting it thoroughly in all the cracks etc.

Step 2: Some crates picked out in different browns, including Army Painter Monster Brown, P3 Gun Corps Brown and P3 Bloodtracker.

Step 3: Metal banding picked out in GW Boltgun Metal. Some areas painted up in assorted colours to add visual interest, and I busted out my collection of ancient waterslide transfers for logos. I imagine these to be the colours and logos of the provinces shipping their items out.

Step 4: Finished off with heavy washes of Army Painter Strong Tone to shade and pull everything together.

Also I'm entering Would July-ke to paint some Terrain, My Lord? - hopefully the amount of terrain qualifies as Epic. Also doing Picture Time and Rules Lawyer below.

The Bloodstones
There are some places of the world which act as magic hotspots. Maybe the leylines intersect, maybe it's the site of an ancient wizard's tower, or maybe some unspeakable rites were performed there, who knows? But what is known is that over time this magic solidifies beneath the surface of the world, erupting forth as giant crystals known as Bloodstones for their bright red colouring. Wizards can tap into the power of these stones to boost their spellcasting, but must be cautious as there is always the risk of feedback! Still, to many wizards the risk is worth it as great feats can be performed this way. Over time, the magic within the crystals gets used up or leeches away and the crystals disappear, meaning there is often a great rush to capture these sites as they are discovered.

Kings of War - A wizard within a field of Bloodstones doubles the number of dice they roll when casting Fireball, Lightning Bolt or Wind Blast spells. Roll these bonus dice separately (or use a different colour) - every one which misses the Wizard's target is instead applied as a hit against the wizard! If this results in damage then a nerve test will be required as if the target unit was shooting the wizard. In the case of Wind Blast, treat the wizard as being hit by their target to work out the direction of travel.
Dragon Rampant - A wizard (including wizardlings) within a field of Bloodstones must re-roll a failed activation test when casting a spell. If this re-roll also fails, the wizard loses one point of strength for every point they failed the test by. This will cause a courage check as normal.

Picture time: From a recent Dragon Rampant game in my garage of doom.

My Dogs of War (lower left) were hired to transport a sacred relic from it's resting place to a holy site for a ritual (off the top right corner). My opponent's (largely unpainted) swarthy Arabs caught wind of this and staged an ambush to steal the relic! The first couple of turns may mostly spent by the Dogs manoeuvring themselves to face the ambushing force, with the Halfling Scouts and Gunners on the left, Militia and Knights on the right, while the Pikes move up the middle to safeguard Rutger with the relic. Meanwhile the Arabian Sorceror on the right plinks away at the Knights with his fireballs, felling one, while the riders and spearmen position themselves to try and outflank us.

The Halflings shoot at the light riders to the north, taking one down and causing some panic. The spearmen move around the swamp to try and intercept the pikes, while the gunners fail to achieve anything. A combined attack from the knights and militia manage to rout the enemy spearmen on the right flank, however the militia get scared and break (they will continue to rout for 5 more turns before rallying). Sensing the battle slipping away from him, the Sorceror unveils his trump card! Uttering the magic words, 'Djinn'll Fix It', he summons a mighty Genie to intercept Rutger as he tries sneaking through the Bloodstones!

Alas, it is not to be. With a combination of brave resolve, mighty swordplay and the gunners finally pulling their fingers out and shooting something, the Genie is dispatched. The pikemen manage to mop up the enemy spearmen, though in the process get scared and retreat themseles, while the Halflings finish off the light horsemen. The Sorceror vents his frustrations by fireballing the remaining knights to death, but ultimately can only look on forlornly as Rutger hands off the relic to the Halflings to transport, with promises of eleventh and twelfth breakfasts to keep them loyal to the end. A concentrated volley from the gunners scares off the Sorceror, and the Dogs complete their mission to rapturous applause and pints all around.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath complete!

Getting in on Would July-ke to paint some Terrain, My Lord? with that broken wall.
Got the Journal with the theme challenge on the boats and the sea serpent, and speed painting with a boat:

Electric Hobo posted:

I speed painted. Actual photos will come when everything else is done.

Zark the Damned posted:

Picture time: From a recent Dragon Rampant game in my garage of doom.
Wildly off topic for this thread, but how do you like Dragon Rampant? I'm working on a couple of armies for it, but I don't really know if it'll be worth it.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Electric Hobo posted:

Wildly off topic for this thread, but how do you like Dragon Rampant? I'm working on a couple of armies for it, but I don't really know if it'll be worth it.

I find it pretty fun, albeit it can be rather swingy. You've definitely got to go into it with a chill attitude and be OK with the fact that some games you'll do nothing but fail your first activation roll several turns in a row, and in other games you'll roll stupid good and your lovely scouts will destroy units of elites without breaking a sweat.

Loving those boats and sea serpent BTW, that game's gonna look kicking rad once you've finished it all.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Floppychop posted:

I, Floppychop, oath to paint 8 Ork slugga boyz and 1 Ork rokkit boy by Games Workshop for July 2016

Oath Complete!

Claiming Speed Painting since start and complete are less than 24 hours apart.

and a better pic not in front of a monitor

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

I find it pretty fun, albeit it can be rather swingy. You've definitely got to go into it with a chill attitude and be OK with the fact that some games you'll do nothing but fail your first activation roll several turns in a row, and in other games you'll roll stupid good and your lovely scouts will destroy units of elites without breaking a sweat.

Loving those boats and sea serpent BTW, that game's gonna look kicking rad once you've finished it all.
Sounds great, I'll keep picking up random figures for some armies :)
And thanks! I just hope I can keep up some kind of standard and momentum when I get to the horrible grind of painting the different clans.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Oath Complete!

Claiming Box Art

Edit because I don't know what rules is:

Takuan fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 28, 2016

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Endman posted:

Here's another WIP shot; I just finished my Tempestus Scion:

You might notice he's missing his antenna. That's because the bastard snapped off with the tiniest nudge and was forever lost in the carpet. So we'll just pretend it's retracted.

That Scion loving owns. I love your scheme.
OATH COMPLETE!

I would also like to claim #SquadGoals and box art

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007

LewdMonocle posted:

I LewdMonocle oath Nomad Tomcats unit box for Infinity (4ish dudes 28mm)and Shroud Mages 10 boats (2mm?) by Spartan Games.

Oath Complete! Claiming July's theme Life's a beach! - boats.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

SRM posted:

That Scion loving owns. I love your scheme.

Thanks!

I just finished my Flamer dude. It's the first time I've ever done a scorched effect for anything, but I think it came out pretty well.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Oath Complete! Claiming water painting jurnal and Speed Paint. I was planning on doing more than just these tiles this month but thanks to life I have been in a painting slump this past month. Hopefully Gen Con will revitalize me for August.

nesbit37 posted:

Wasn't planning on this today, but posting pics for speed paint for these dwarven forge water tiles.

nesbit37 posted:

i nesbit37, oath for the month of July 81 Dwarven forge river tiles

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Endman posted:

Thanks!

I just finished my Flamer dude. It's the first time I've ever done a scorched effect for anything, but I think it came out pretty well.

One trick I learned when it comes to scorch effects on a flamer is that, after painting it like you did there, give it a wash with brown ink. Not a wash, an ink--the ink gives it a richer color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Slimnoid posted:

One trick I learned when it comes to scorch effects on a flamer is that, after painting it like you did there, give it a wash with brown ink. Not a wash, an ink--the ink gives it a richer color.

Would the GW gloss washes give that effect or would you want to specifically get an ink?

• Locked thread