Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Remember how in End Times, all cool characters and factions were treated well by GW and given cool and fitting ends? I'd rather keep the status quo and have them focus on better rulesets, but I'm not the dude in charge.

I am however in charge of organizing a huge multiplayer game this upcoming friday; it's going to be Nids versus everyone and I'm looking forward to it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I too, fondly remember the times where the carnifex was the big baddie.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Who would have guessed that early Nidzilla days would end up as the golden age of Tyranids.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Mango Polo posted:

Who would have guessed that early Nidzilla days would end up as the golden age of Tyranids.

Now it's an all flying monster army.

Mothranids?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

SRM posted:

Their global campaign for AoS they're doing right now is probably a dry run for a 40k one to see if it works. I have no clue if any of those rumors will pan out (anonymous on Faeit makes me think it won't) but I think it could be pretty exciting.

The AoS campaign has been fun. There's a different mission each week. The mission we did last week was enjoyable. If I can find a game tomorrow I'll be trying out the second mission.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

ro5s posted:

Now it's an all flying monster army.

Mothranids?

By my count I have roughly 6000 points of painted Tyranids, more if I decide to add upgrades.

None of them are flyers, i.e. the worthwhile units. I do have enough ripper swarms to field a full unit :shepface:

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 24, 2016

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

GreenMarine posted:

The AoS campaign has been fun. There's a different mission each week. The mission we did last week was enjoyable. If I can find a game tomorrow I'll be trying out the second mission.

The AoS campaign's given me hope that we'll see a definite return of Global Campaigns in the near future. The new mission every weeks' made it much more interesting, especially in each one demanding different army compositions (line infantry slugfest in week one, monster brawl week 3 etc) and whatnot. Only problem so far's been Order (and Chaos to a lesser extent) dominating the rankings from the word go, but hopefully that'll be different in a 40k GC as long as they split up the Imperial factions a little.

On the topic of 40k, has Forge World given a timeframe for the new IA coming out? My Cult Mech's been aching to use my 30k Robutts, and my Tau could use some new Battlesuit toys.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

SteelMentor posted:

The AoS campaign's given me hope that we'll see a definite return of Global Campaigns in the near future. The new mission every weeks' made it much more interesting, especially in each one demanding different army compositions (line infantry slugfest in week one, monster brawl week 3 etc) and whatnot. Only problem so far's been Order (and Chaos to a lesser extent) dominating the rankings from the word go, but hopefully that'll be different in a 40k GC as long as they split up the Imperial factions a little.

On the topic of 40k, has Forge World given a timeframe for the new IA coming out? My Cult Mech's been aching to use my 30k Robutts, and my Tau could use some new Battlesuit toys.

I think in the case of AoS, there's just a lack of support for the other factions. Order has a ton of complete new armies and the others are all retreads of Warhammer Fantasy. I think it's risky to invest in any AoS army that hasn't gotten new models and a book because you have no idea what's going to get removed and what's going to stay.

Each store gets it's own progress graph. Our store is even Destruction and Order.

I wonder if there's enough calm / players that an AoS OP could survive.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 24, 2016

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So, I went to an 1850 up in Batavia, IL, since I won't make local store's at the end of the month. Overall, I had fun, and I'll post pics tomorrow. That being said I had a few issues, since there were than a few people bringing the cheese along. I went into the final match with second highest scoring only to get so thoroughly stomped by a bullshit Centurionstar/Conclave that I didn't even end in the top 3. In addition, the store owner gave me extra store credit, because my army lost best Painted to an army that wasn't even fully painted, so I graciously took my pity prize.

The final game was a tad annoying, it wasn't even like the guy was a huge rear end, but something about having to play KPs against an army with 8 units, invisibility, and the conclave was just immensely annoying when you get the distinct feeling your opponent fancies himself some sort of strategic genius. Add in small things like a complete inability to create a parallel line with the scatter die. In fact, this is something I see so often I've begun wondering if it is in fact me who can't see properly...I can't go a single tournament where I'll run into atleast one person who has the tape measure offset a good 30 degrees from the angle set by the scatter that I'm unsure if they are just loving with me.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 24, 2016

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Uroboros posted:

So, I went to an 1850 up in Batavia, IL, since I won't make local store's at the end of the month. Overall, I had fun, and I'll post pics tomorrow. That being said I had a few issues, since there were than a few people bringing the cheese along. I went into the final match with second highest scoring only to get so thoroughly stomped by a bullshit Centurionstar/Conclave that I didn't even end in the top 3. In addition, the store owner gave me extra store credit, because my army lost best Painted to an army that wasn't even fully painted, so I graciously took my pity prize.

The final game was a tad annoying, it wasn't even like the guy was a huge rear end, but something about having to play KPs against an army with 8 units, invisibility, and the conclave was just immensely annoying when you get the distinct feeling your opponent fancies himself some sort of strategic genius. Add in small things like a complete inability to create a parallel line with the scatter die. In fact, this is something I see so often I've begun wondering if it is in fact me who can't see properly...I can't go a single tournament where I'll run into atleast one person who has the tape measure offset a good 30 degrees from the angle set by the scatter that I'm unsure if they are just loving with me.

Dont go to non-team tournaments withoun an AS, and bring a line laserpointer.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Soulfucker posted:

Remember how in End Times, all cool characters and factions were treated well by GW and given cool and fitting ends? I'd rather keep the status quo and have them focus on better rulesets, but I'm not the dude in charge.

I am however in charge of organizing a huge multiplayer game this upcoming friday; it's going to be Nids versus everyone and I'm looking forward to it:

I am totally stealing this image.

Since I'm getting rid of my other armies (so I will just have nids, sisters, and 30k emp children) I've decided to go stupid with my nids and build a board full of themed terrain using the secret weapon mini thingies:

So once I get everything painted I'll be hosting a huge game. Now to paint 120 hormagaunts. Haha.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

DJ Dizzy posted:

Dont go to non-team tournaments withoun an AS, and bring a line laserpointer.

If you can't tell if a tape measure is parallel to what is on the scatter die you sure as poo poo won't be able to do it with a laser pointer either.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
So I played against the new Space Wolves army last night and got completely wrecked. Wolfen and thunder wolf cavalry seem so strong, not sure what I have to deal with them. I threw 4 plasma cannons, a vindicator, 9 bolters, and a melta gun and only killed one and wounded one wolfen squad the deep struck into me, they seem to get a crazy amount of special rules and my friend said they are only 50 points a base for the storm shield ones...The cavalry ate up my ravenwing command squad like it was nothing, took 10 plasma talon wounds and saved all but one of them, then the captain killed all my bikes before they even go a turn in close combat. It seems like maybe volume of fire might be the best thing to deal with them?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

JesusIsTehCool posted:

So I played against the new Space Wolves army last night and got completely wrecked. ... It seems like maybe volume of fire might be the best thing to deal with them?

Yeah, especially with the Wulfen, quality over quality is the way to go. At T4, W2, Sv4+ they are very defeatable but you have to have the guns to deal with them. High-end units with a small number of powerful shots will get quickly overwhelmed, very much as if fighting Orks.

Except Space Wolves are both faster and stronger :smith:

Thunderwolf cavalry are tougher and slightly more resilient to standard guns, so pour your plasma and vindicator cannon shots into them when possible. Remember that all the buffs come from the Wulfen, so try and knock them out as a priority if you can.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Does anyone have the link to :frogsiren: ABUSEPUPPY'S :frogsiren: Tyranid fandex? Or is he here? I lost my bookmark when I built a new PC, an can't find it for poo poo with an hour of google-fu.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Does anyone have the link to :frogsiren: ABUSEPUPPY'S :frogsiren: Tyranid fandex? Or is he here? I lost my bookmark when I built a new PC, an can't find it for poo poo with an hour of google-fu.

http://www.3plusplus.net/2014/02/a-fix-for-tyranids-in-the-preliminary-state/ any good?

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah, especially with the Wulfen, quality over quality is the way to go. At T4, W2, Sv4+ they are very defeatable but you have to have the guns to deal with them. High-end units with a small number of powerful shots will get quickly overwhelmed, very much as if fighting Orks.

Except Space Wolves are both faster and stronger :smith:

Thunderwolf cavalry are tougher and slightly more resilient to standard guns, so pour your plasma and vindicator cannon shots into them when possible. Remember that all the buffs come from the Wulfen, so try and knock them out as a priority if you can.

Maybe my friend was just rolling really well but I dumped a lot on the thunderwolf cavalry, including a str 10 ap1 small blast from my dark talon and over dozen plasma wounds, he just kept making the 3++ saves... and since they move 12 and are fleet pretty much kill anything shooting at them in assault. I am thinking about mass landspeeders with a bunch of heavy bolters might be my best option. Maybe meltas and klark missiles for the wolfen to insta death them so they can't use FNP and double wounds.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
If you feel like playing your luck you can field a few ML2+ Librarians and hope for a Null Zone out of the Librarius discipline. It's a WC2 power but it's actually pretty drat punishing, as its -2 to invulnerables to a unit in 24". Yes, Dark Angels can take the AoD powers.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 24, 2016

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I picked up the AoS General's Handbook. Formations now have point costs. I wonder if that's something we'll see in the next edition of 40k. The AoS formations are fairly pricey, at least at 2k points you'd probably only want to run one or two at the max and if you do so you're giving up around 250 points.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Don't the new Deathwatch formations have point costs? Or am I just imagining poo poo?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Endman posted:

Don't the new Deathwatch formations have point costs? Or am I just imagining poo poo?

Where are you seeing those?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure those formations had points costs simply because they were all-inclusive with zero options. There were no additional costs, just what you would have spent on the models normally.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Thundercloud posted:

Where are you seeing those?

Google image search for 'Deathwatch formations' will give you what you want.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Endman posted:

Google image search for 'Deathwatch formations' will give you what you want.

Only the full Deathwatch Formation is an actual Formation, the rest as single army selection entries for HQs, Troops, etc. so you can field portions of the set as an Allied detachment. The main Formation is real bad, hopefully the rumored full codex will do them better justice.

The Genestealer Cult entries are the same, except their Formation is amazingly good.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Yeah that is just the formation from White Dwarf, and includes the points costs for all the units in it, because there are no options for those units.

It's nothing from a new codex or an indicator that GW admits formations need balancing.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Roommate and I decided to change things up and each pick up a different start collecting box yesterday and just do a low points shits-and-grins game. No objectives, no victory points, just dudes rollin' dice to stop each others plastic spacemen. I grabbed Necron and he Grabbed Skitarii and drat are those Skitarii are kinda jerks to deal with. My stalker popped his crawler turn one with a pen and it got right back up thanks to him take IWND, same thing happened next round, and then they got into a slap match for three more rounds afterwards, ending with my stalker finally trashing the crawler and then shooting terrain next round. Warriors proceeded to plink at the vanguard until they charged and things went tits-up quick. Then our HQ's duked it out and that ended in the Dominus just trashing my overlord due to hilarious rolls on both sides. Now dude is talkin' about droppin' DA and goin' for Skitarii and I'm thinking of grabbing a few more 'crons for a break from Tempestus. Beer and models is a bad mix for the wallet.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
It Will Not Die does not work that way, if the model suffers enough Hull Points to wreck it or it explodes due to a 7+ result it cannot be revived it IWND, it's gone for good.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

PierreTheMime posted:

It Will Not Die does not work that way, if the model suffers enough Hull Points to wreck it or it explodes due to a 7+ result it cannot be revived it IWND, it's gone for good.

Well, now we both know for next time. We weren't entirely sure, probably due to the rum, and just went with "gently caress it use your new toy."

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Hey man, as long as you had fun. I'm not against bending things for fun and/or drinks. Just figured I'd mention it. :)

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

PierreTheMime posted:

Hey man, as long as you had fun. I'm not against bending things for fun and/or drinks. Just figured I'd mention it. :)

I'm not upset or anything, I like being told when I'm playing the game wrong since he has the rulebook and I forget to double-check this poo poo. I've only been back in the hobby for about two months after a fifteen year break. That said freeing up the stalker after turn one would have probably let me stomp a few more vanguards if nothing else.

Bombogenesis fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 25, 2016

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
just tried some allied Skitarii for the first time today and they are pretty rad. (...sorry)

Vanguard are loving murder on everything with a toughness stat and the Dominus is a surprisingly good face-tanker.

I had the Icarus as dedicated anti-air in a game with two heldrakes but it was kinda wasted since I couldn't roll 5+ for the life of me. The model's grown on me though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I just picked up a hugely marked-down Codex: Daemons so I can play my now-defunct WHFB army against my friends! Apparently I need to do Nurgle or Khorne to go 30k.

But uh... 24/7 Slaanesh looks like a recipe for disappointment.

Please send help. Is it viable to run monotheist Chaos daemons anymore, or do I need to wait for Daemonkin: Slaanesh?

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
If that latest batch of rumors about a webway campaign are right Slaanesh should be getting some love (ehe) with a new greater demon box, so maybe wait around for that to see if any new rules come out. Other than that the top tournament lists have always been heavily Tzeentch. Maybe you can get away with just Fateweaver/Be'lakor/both and see how you go from there?

Endman
May 18, 2010

So I love the idea of Eldar bikes, especially the Saim-Hann ones because red goes faster, and they look loving rad, but I've been told by people that they're also OP as hell.

Is there a way I can indulge my love of Eldar on spacecycles without losing all of my friends?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Endman posted:

So I love the idea of Eldar bikes, especially the Saim-Hann ones because red goes faster, and they look loving rad, but I've been told by people that they're also OP as hell.

Is there a way I can indulge my love of Eldar on spacecycles without losing all of my friends?
Nope.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Endman posted:

Kitbash Orks on them and field them as warbikes.

Endman
May 18, 2010

poo poo

Floppychop posted:

Kitbash Orks on them and field them as warbikes.

Oi boss, deez new orkz are more pointy than yooshul...

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Use exclusively Shining Spears.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Uroboros posted:

Add in small things like a complete inability to create a parallel line with the scatter die. In fact, this is something I see so often I've begun wondering if it is in fact me who can't see properly...I can't go a single tournament where I'll run into atleast one person who has the tape measure offset a good 30 degrees from the angle set by the scatter that I'm unsure if they are just loving with me.

I don't do tournaments or store/club games, but a couple of the players in my group are similarly incapable of drawing a parallel line with the scatter die...which is why I ask them to roll as close to the target as possible (I do the same of course), it cuts down on the huge variances in scatter angles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Endman posted:

Don't do the douchey thing and give every model a scatlaser or shuricannon. Give it to 1 in 3 at max like the old rules (remember GW only changed this so they could sell the new kit to people who already had a bunch of the previous bikes).

• Locked thread