Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Was Boogie making money for them? It is a horse, so the answer is gently caress no.

They bought Boogie with the intention of paying 10K or whatever and now that Boogie is dead, they just don't want to pay for it? I'm just not understanding how they are asking for donations to pay for something they had already planned to pay for in the first place and they didn't lose any money by losing it. If anything, that lightning bolt did them a favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

RandomBlue posted:

*stares at 5 solid lines all missing a block on the right*

"Click now for a straight block for only 1 gold coin!" ($1 per coin)

Bah. Any gaming company worth it's salt would have a Skinner box-esque system of randomized pieces for $1 each instead.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

SkunkDuster posted:

Was Boogie making money for them? It is a horse, so the answer is gently caress no.

They bought Boogie with the intention of paying 10K or whatever and now that Boogie is dead, they just don't want to pay for it? I'm just not understanding how they are asking for donations to pay for something they had already planned to pay for in the first place and they didn't lose any money by losing it. If anything, that lightning bolt did them a favor.

Their Horse Equinity Loan was almost certainly secured with an emotional perspective solely focused on if they could swing the monthly payments or not, not conceived of as a $10k expenditure. Now they're stuck paying some stupid bank a whole bunch of money every month, and they don't have the horse, and that's just so unfair.

Of course they need a gofundme, and of course there are other people who are sympathetic to their plight of having to pay some scummy bank, because those people also do not conceive of loans as expenditures which must be repaid.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Zero One posted:

I helped a client transfer $100,000 to online Tetris yesterday.

I really don't know what to think of the world anymore.

Exactly how do you wire 100k to "Tetris"? And for what? Was it actually somehow wired to Alexey Pajitnov? And did Pajitnov video high-five him or something for it?

None of this makes any sense at all :psyduck:

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Volmarias posted:

Exactly how do you wire 100k to "Tetris"? And for what? Was it actually somehow wired to Alexey Pajitnov? And did Pajitnov video high-five him or something for it?

None of this makes any sense at all :psyduck:

It sounds like an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

DENNIS: "What do you mean you wired $100,000 to Tetris?"
CHARLIE: "I mean I sent $100,000 to Tetris. It's like a game or something."
MAC: "Charlie! You can't send money to 'Tetris.' That doesn't make any sense. Who did you send the money to?"
CHARLIE: "I told you. I sent it to Tetris."
DENNIS: "What does that mean? What does that mean? You can't send money Tetris, Charlie! Tetris can't receive wire transfers! Who did you send the money to?"
CHARLIE: "I sent it to Tetris! They told me to wire $100,000 to Tetris, so I wired $100,000 to Tetris! Tetris has the money. Talk to him!"

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I like their product! I wanted 'em to have a little walkin' around money!

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Ok so a while ago I posted my friend's website who was selling 3-hour meditation sessions for like $6k, thousand dollar meditation cushions, a "series of 8 3-minute meditation videos from exotic locations over 8 months" for like $50k or something totally ridiculous.

Yesterday I posted on facebook that it's my 15 year anniversary of wasting time on somethingawful. She commented!

quote:

Haha, someone mentioned my business on one of their forums. I had no idea what it was and it gave me a complete meltdown a few months ago.

I couldn't find the actual post. Thankfully my team came to the rescue and blocked the traffic... In hindsight the traffic was directed at my meditation video and in all actuality I want everyone to see that... So it might be a great traffic source if I place my own ads there. Something to consider:)

I am trying to sell things on the internet, oh no people are looking at the things I'm trying to sell on the internet I better block them! I mean yeah, we were there for ridicule, but do you really want to discourage traffic to your products? I really like this girl very much but the products she is trying to sell (and the way she refers to the website template service she purchased as "my team") shows she's just really out of touch. She was a consumer of lots of self-help materials like "visualize your way to wealth."

This company did a great job enlightening her away from her money.

quote:

We design learning experiences and publish teachings by the best authors in transformational education

Our Core Program: Consciousness Engineering

Hundreds of extraordinary teachers to upgrade your human potential at $29/month.
Ugh this is just such bullshit.

Switchback fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 25, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Switchback posted:

Ok so a while ago I posted my friend's website who was selling 3-hour meditation sessions for like $6k, thousand dollar meditation cushions, a "series of 8 3-minute meditation videos from exotic locations over 8 months" for like $50k or something totally ridiculous.

Yesterday I posted on facebook that it's my 15 year anniversary of wasting time on somethingawful. She commented!

I am trying to sell things on the internet, oh no people are looking at the things I'm trying to sell on the internet I better block them! I mean yeah, we were there for ridicule, but do you really want to discourage traffic to your products? I really like this girl very much but the products she is trying to sell (and the way she refers to the website template service she purchased as "my team") shows she's just really out of touch. She was a consumer of lots of self-help materials like "visualize your way to wealth."

Does your friend move "product" as it were? Right thread for her customers, but wrong thread for her.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

H110Hawk posted:

Does your friend move "product" as it were? Right thread for her customers, but wrong thread for her.
No I don't think she has sold any of those things, she has however bought "subliminal message" audio tracks to go in the background of her meditation videos, and countless other self-help programs to launch her on her path to wealth/peace/confidence/success.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

froglet posted:

I said something remarkably similar to this about a friend of mine a few years back. When we were about 16-17 she started dating this 24 year old guy. She stopped talking to me for a few weeks after 17 year old me pointed out that a 24 year old guy wanting to date highschool girls is creepy as gently caress and to find somebody her own age. Well, she ended up staying with him in the end and it became a bit of a sore point in our relationship, although I did agree to be a bridesmaid at their wedding a few years after our argument.

This only came out after they broke up, and this guy was a broken manchild for myriad other reasons, but my friends breaking point was about 6 months before the wedding. Her condition for marrying him was that he'd have a job or be studying (even a Certificate I in floral arrangement) at least 6 months before they got hitched and she found out that he hadn't been looking for jobs and that he had no intention of ever getting a job or studying.

They were together for five years and he had not once had a job. :psyduck:

I'm honestly not sure how he managed that, it's pretty hard to cheat welfare here in Australia. You have to submit evidence that you've applied for ten jobs a week every fortnight to get your payments.

I made this post quite a while ago. The friend from this story called me on Saturday.

She's gotten involved in something called 'Landmark Forum' and wanted to seek my forgiveness for 'pushing [me] away' when she was with her ex and if 'we could move on from here'. I was a bit confused because I didn't think there was anything to seek forgiveness for and was like 'uh, yeah, sure, if that's what you need to move on, of course!'.

I tried Googling Landmark Forum and the autofill suggestions were 'is landmark forum a scam?', 'is landmark forum a cult?' and 'is landmark forum scientology?'. Looking further into it, she seems to have paid $700 to do this weekend retreat for "personal development". Considering the reviews I've read so far, I think my friend would have been better off in actual therapy.

Checking facebook, she's now talking about how much of a revelation it all was and how it's changed her life. I mean, good for her if she feels like she's gotten something out of this, but she's now got two people telling her about more advanced courses or how much a revelation it has been. :wtc:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Their Horse Equinity Loan was almost certainly secured with an emotional perspective solely focused on if they could swing the monthly payments or not, not conceived of as a $10k expenditure. Now they're stuck paying some stupid bank a whole bunch of money every month, and they don't have the horse, and that's just so unfair.

Of course they need a gofundme, and of course there are other people who are sympathetic to their plight of having to pay some scummy bank, because those people also do not conceive of loans as expenditures which must be repaid.

Wait wait wait, someone will finance a horse? :psyduck:

edit: Holy poo poo look at this http://wagslending.com/pricing/

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

froglet posted:

I'm honestly not sure how he managed that, it's pretty hard to cheat welfare here in Australia. You have to submit evidence that you've applied for ten jobs a week every fortnight to get your payments.

My former manager informed me that his stoner brother used the following strategies:

A) Apply for jobs that he was vastly underqualified / incompatible with. (Example: Applying to a female underwear shop which only hired women.)
B) If an interview did come up, don't attend it.

If A and B failed:

C) Act in a barbaric fashion at the interview, including, but not limited to:

* Referring to the potential employer as "oval office".
* Spitting on the floor / walls of said place of employment.
* Threatening violence towards staff / members of the public.
* Openly asking if they can drink / tweak on the job.
* Constantly disagree with the potential employer about everything stated.
* Not showering for three weeks beforehand.

When the potential employers chooses to veto their resume, he shrugged his shoulders and said "I tried my best."

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Residency Evil posted:

Wait wait wait, someone will finance a horse? :psyduck:

edit: Holy poo poo look at this http://wagslending.com/pricing/

That's a quality operation. If you put "5001" into their calculator, it blows up with a server error, instead of just telling you you can't borrow $5,001.

Be sure to read their explanation of how they don't charge interest, because interest is for credit cards.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I guarantee the type of person who would finance a pet purchase is the type of person who would make a terrible pet owner

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Sic Semper Goon posted:

My former manager informed me that his stoner brother used the following strategies:

A) Apply for jobs that he was vastly underqualified / incompatible with. (Example: Applying to a female underwear shop which only hired women.)
B) If an interview did come up, don't attend it.

If A and B failed:

C) Act in a barbaric fashion at the interview, including, but not limited to:

* Spitting on the floor / walls of said place of employment.
* Threatening violence towards staff / members of the public.
* Openly asking if they can drink / tweak on the job.
* Constantly disagree with the potential employer about everything stated.
* Not showering for three weeks beforehand.

When the potential employers chooses to veto their resume, he shrugged his shoulders and said "I tried my best."
Yes then after a year or two of this they get you to work for the dole. So you kinda have a job. Getting out of that is really hard I think. He was probably working for the dole.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

pig slut lisa posted:

I guarantee the type of person who would finance a pet purchase is the type of person who would make a terrible pet owner

It's better than that - it's pet leasing. At the end of the term, you have to come up with a lump sum payment or give the dog back. You can read a news story and sample contract here: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2014/nov/28/oceanside-puppy-dog-lease/

(For less "bad with money" and more "horrifyingly exploitative", be sure to check out some of the affiliated operations - they'll do the same "we'll call it financing, except you don't own anything" deal for car repairs and hearing aids)

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Suspicious Lump posted:

Yes then after a year or two of this they get you to work for the dole. So you kinda have a job. Getting out of that is really hard I think. He was probably working for the dole.

According to my source, he's been pulling this off for the past six years without working for the dole.

I think my local branch of Centrelink has just given up at this point.

Anyway, my mate in our class recently mentioned that he's $3k in the red for unspecified reasons. He then went on to talk about the new sound system he's putting in his lemon of a car.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Sic Semper Goon posted:

According to my source, he's been pulling this off for the past six years without working for the dole.

I think my local branch of Centrelink has just given up at this point.

Anyway, my mate in our class recently mentioned that he's $3k in the red for unspecified reasons. He then went on to talk about the new sound system he's putting in his lemon of a car.

What does "working for the dole" mean? Does that mean actually working for the government entity that administers this? Also, how lucrative can it possibly be to be on public assistance where you are? I mean, Republicans in the USA talk a lot of poo poo about welfare queens, but if you've ever needed public assistance here, you know it's barely enough to keep you from dying, and sometimes not even that much. I can't fathom the number of programs you'd have to gaming in the USA to make anything like a living wage.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Bad with money: Buying a fixer-upper 80 year old houseboat to 'get out of renting', 'planning' on insuring it but not actually insuring it, mooring it in an area exposed to wind and then crying a lot and appealing for donations when storm winds pull it lose and smash it to bits.

Also my aunt is STILL investing in a literal goldmine, still run by a scammer, still not seen a cent back and now no longer lets my accountant mother check the financial statements because she's "biased" :sigh:

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 25, 2016

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Centripetal Horse posted:

What does "working for the dole" mean? Does that mean actually working for the government entity that administers this? Also, how lucrative can it possibly be to be on public assistance where you are? I mean, Republicans in the USA talk a lot of poo poo about welfare queens, but if you've ever needed public assistance here, you know it's barely enough to keep you from dying, and sometimes not even that much. I can't fathom the number of programs you'd have to gaming in the USA to make anything like a living wage.

I've never been on it myself, but to my understanding, "Work for the Dole" involves conscripting* the unemployed into unskilled labour. Things like shelf stacking and such.

I think it's a private/public partnership kind of thing, but I know very little about it.

The "dole" pays $527.60 AUD per fortnight (for a childless single, such as the guy I was talking about), if I'm understanding the site correctly**.

Comparatively speaking, minimum wage for a full time worker is $672.70 a week before tax.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/newstart-allowance

* = "Conscripting" is too strong a word. Theoretically, if you don't turn up, you get cut off the dole.

** = Reading through the site, I discovered extra allowances for rent and utilities.

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 25, 2016

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I've never been on it myself, but to my understanding, "Work for the Dole" involves conscripting* the unemployed into unskilled labour. Things like shelf stacking and such.

I think it's a private/public partnership kind of thing, but I know very little about it.

The "dole" pays $527.60 AUD per fortnight (for a childless single, such as the guy I was talking about), if I'm understanding the site correctly**.

Comparatively speaking, minimum wage for a full time worker is $672.70 a week before tax.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/newstart-allowance

* = "Conscripting" is too strong a word. Theoretically, if you don't turn up, you get cut off the dole.

** = Reading through the site, I discovered extra allowances for rent and utilities.

Huh. Federal minimum wage (which many states are now bettering) is $7.25 in the USA. That means forty hours (lol, sure) is worth $387 of your Australian dollars. Depending on how the taxes work out, it looks like collecting benefits in Australia is roughly comparable to working your rear end off in a minimum-wage position in the USA. If that $527 doesn't include the additional allowances you mentioned, it could be a pretty sweet gig for someone who really, really doesn't want to hold an actual job.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Huh. Federal minimum wage (which many states are now bettering) is $7.25 in the USA. That means forty hours (lol, sure) is worth $387 of your Australian dollars. Depending on how the taxes work out, it looks like collecting benefits in Australia is roughly comparable to working your rear end off in a minimum-wage position in the USA. If that $527 doesn't include the additional allowances you mentioned, it could be a pretty sweet gig for someone who really, really doesn't want to hold an actual job.

Just so we are clear, it's $527.60 per fortnight. So $263.80 per week.

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 25, 2016

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Is this discouraged in Australia?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Since we talk about uni a lot in this thread, is private k-12 bwm, anyone here been through that system either as child or parent? Public schools in my area are suffering so we are considering for our son. To be clear, no loans would be involved but it's money I obviously wouldn't be putting to 401K or anything.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

hanales posted:

Since we talk about uni a lot in this thread, is private k-12 bwm, anyone here been through that system either as child or parent? Public schools in my area are suffering so we are considering for our son. To be clear, no loans would be involved but it's money I obviously wouldn't be putting to 401K or anything.

It can be, but not always. In Chicago, CPS is kind of a mess and a total landmine to navigate. There are only a handful of desirable schools in desirable neighborhoods so the competition to get in is incredibly fierce, even to the extent that a comparable house across the street from the school acceptance boundaries can be significantly less. Private school can make some sense in that scenario.

A lot of the private schools also have very good reputations and channels to get you into Ivy's and other good University's so you can continue to spend oodles on your kids education.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

That's a quality operation. If you put "5001" into their calculator, it blows up with a server error, instead of just telling you you can't borrow $5,001.

Be sure to read their explanation of how they don't charge interest, because interest is for credit cards.

quote:

The second component of the monthly payment is the product’s monthly depreciation. Each month the customer possesses and uses the product, the product’s fair market value decreases. That decrease is part of the monthly payment so that the customer is compensating the business for the decrease in the product’s fair market value while the customer is using the product.

:smith:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

hanales posted:

It really depends on your local public schools, and how well you can afford it.

They play by somewhat different rules, administration wise, which is a double edged sword. For example, no teachers union backed tenure means that teachers can actually be fired, so you don't have teachers who basically no longer care and just hand out busy work, but it also means that crazy parents can take out effective teachers too. They're also not quite so crazy about liability, since it's likely that no one going there is going to bring about a frivolous lawsuit purely for financial reasons (but they might bring one for crazy narcissistic parent reasons!)

I'll say as someone that went to both public and private school that I never had a study hall class (which wasn't actually "study hall") in a private school, whereas I had a couple of classes in public high school where the teacher literally did nothing except for the one day that the state teaching assessor was there. That was the exception rather than the rule, but it did happen.

If you're able to afford it without breaking a financial sweat, do it. If you have really lovely public schools in your area, strongly consider it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My brother was tired of renting and decided to buy a pre-fab trailer type house for $19,000. This seemed like a surprisingly good deal to me, but after talking to him about it again he has told me that there is a lot fee of $650 a month. His previous rent was about $575 a month.

This seems like a combination of the absolute worst aspects of renting and owning. What is the advantage of an arrangement like this? I guess he could theoretically move the house, but the cost would be almost half the value of the house itself.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Maybe the lot fee includes power, water and waste hookups? I doubt it though.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My brother was tired of renting and decided to buy a pre-fab trailer type house for $19,000. This seemed like a surprisingly good deal to me, but after talking to him about it again he has told me that there is a lot fee of $650 a month. His previous rent was about $575 a month.

This seems like a combination of the absolute worst aspects of renting and owning. What is the advantage of an arrangement like this? I guess he could theoretically move the house, but the cost would be almost half the value of the house itself.

What was the property he was previously renting that is the comparison here?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Barry posted:

What was the property he was previously renting that is the comparison here?

A 2 BR 1 Bath duplex / townhouse.

The new place is a 2 BR 1 Bath as well.

I just don't understand what the point of "buying" property is when you have to still pay rent on it and are now responsible for all repairs.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
He's in a detached house now, which is worth something.

Seems like he may have been getting a hell of a deal on that townhouse though, hard to say.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

A 2 BR 1 Bath duplex / townhouse.

The new place is a 2 BR 1 Bath as well.

I just don't understand what the point of "buying" property is when you have to still pay rent on it and are now responsible for all repairs.

If it's anything like my grandmother-in-law's doublewide, she owns the house and has a long term lease on the land. Long enough that it does factor into her home value.

In her case it's a senior community and her lot fees cover yard maintenance, snow plows, community center bingo, etc. They may also include utilities since fixed incomes don't like energy price shocks. I have no idea what your brother's lot fee pays for, but it's not as simple as rent versus own. The lot fees may include services that contribute to the property's value even if you can't sell the land.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

In theory it's to 'give workers skills and experience' to "help them find a job". In reality, it's a scheme where you're forced to do lovely menial work that often has very little to do with your actual skillset. You get chosen purely because you showed up on a list of people who've been claiming benefits for 'too long'. If you can't do it - no matter the reason - you get cut off then have to figure something out while you go through some convoluted appeals process that can take weeks, if not months.

The Auspol threads have lots of horror stories of people getting interviews on days they're meant to work for the dole, and being told if they don't show up they will have their payments cut. Their options are literally 'show up for work for dole so I'm not out on the street' or 'show up to interview on the off chance I get a job'. Or being made to do something completely unsuitable and unrelated to the industry you are applying to work in. Or just being forced to show up somewhere, do some menial work for a few hours then spend the rest of your time staring at the wall because you have to be present a set number of hours. Or participants who currently can't afford childcare being forced to figure out something for childcare because otherwise their payments will be cut.

The system is set up to provide a paltry level of support, then punish jobseekers for daring to live in a society where a 100% employment rate is literally impossible. We need a certain number of unemployed people to exist for our society to function without our currency rapidly inflating, yet our government is perfectly okay with leading people on with the idea that there is a job out there for them... despite the fact we tend to have 7 people for every 1 job posting.

hanales posted:

I attended public for primary, but private for highschool. According to my teacher friends, you really want to focus on getting high quality preschool and kindergarten care (here's a link about how the kids who attended a high-quality kinder program are now far more successful as adults than the control group).

If the public school regularly has 40 kids a class and is in the middle of nowhere to boot while the private school has 15 a class and is located just down the road from you, fair enough, I can see why you'd want to send your kid to a private school. However, if the class sizes are similar and the only difference is the price tag and socioeconomic standing of your kids peers, I don't think it's worth it.

It depends on what you're after. For example - what does the private school actually provide that you won't be able to get at a public school? Is there any reason you can't send them to a public school then splash out on extracurriculars and other experiences you think would benefit them? E.g. you could send your kid to a public school, but sign them up for science club or Spanish after school. Then during the holidays you could send them to Science Camp or set up Spanish language practice with a native speaker over Skype (or go to South America/Spain and make your kid practice on the locals).

Obviously that would take a bit of thought and a decent idea of what your child's interests are/could possibly be, but it might be more cost effective than the private school. Plus, if they hit a rough patch at school it means they have a larger pool of peers to associate with, which could help them keep perspective/make them more resilient to peer pressure.

Keep in mind that yes, school is important, but the most important factor in a child's life is parental involvement. If you're consistently caring and supportive and help your child foster good social and academic habits (without being smothering, of course!), your child is likely to turn out just fine.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Here I was thinking it meant working for Bob Dole.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

froglet posted:

the only difference is the price tag and socioeconomic standing of your kids peers, I don't think it's worth it.

Ithe most important factor in a child's life is parental involvement.
This is also why you need to take minor differences in college admissions/test scores/etc with a grain of salt. When your student body is selected from the pool of "children with relatively well-off parents who give a poo poo about their education", you're going to have better results even if school quality is the same.

Obviously some areas have blatant gaps between public and private schools, but in others you're not paying for much, if any, improvement. It's hard to say which is the case without knowing your local school systems.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 25, 2016

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

That is a really high lot fee.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

CitizenKain posted:

They always say it's expensive to be poor. This lot fee for a trailer park (probably in the middle of nowhere) is more than many New York maintenance fees for nice apartments.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

CitizenKain posted:

Agreed, but after looking into it in some detail, it seems that all the local lots in the area have a comparable lot rent to just outright renting a house. I still don't get it.

In non-personal BWM: this guy bought over 13,000 shares of Garnero Group right before the company violated the terms of a merger, went bankrupt, and cancelled its stock plan. The total value of the 13,055 shares? $0.00 USD. The guy had no idea what was going on and just heard recently that it "looks like their not a business anymore" and doesn't know what to do.

quote:

Stock question, I've got a little over 13,000 shares in a company that is terminating their stock agreement, I'm not sure what to do from here. (self.personalfinance)

I've got 13,055 shares in GGACW, which is the same company as GGAC. Looks like their not a business anymore. The article below has information about liquidating stocks for the main company, but nothing for GGACW. Do I have any options? What do I do from here?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/garnero-group-acquisition-company-announces-182100197.html

This guy's girlfriend currently has over 100k in student loan debt for a nursing degree, doesn't want to be a nurse, and now wants to go 60k further into debt to get a more advanced nursing degree because she wants to run her own women's shelter and has no idea if she will make any money doing it. Good with charity, but bad with logistics and money. The boyfriend doesn't think he can do anything about it and just wants to know how bad it will be because he is too scared to try and crush her dreams. She has paid off $0 of the original 100k.

quote:

Girlfriend is 100k in student loan debt..... Looking to go back to school. How bad of an idea is this? (self.personalfinance)

Girlfriend is 100k in student loan debt for a RN degree. She now wants go back for a Doctor of Nursing Practice (Nurse Practitioner). However she wants to run a women's shelter so the income will not be typical of Nurse Practitioner. Am I crazy in thinking that that much debt is a bad idea? It will be an additional $60k on top of the original student loans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

hanales posted:

I went through private all the way, and I consider it a positive. My judgment was just as bad as any other kid's judgment, but because of the more sheltered environment, there were fewer opportunities for me to mess up. (pregnancy/drugs/wrong crowd type stuff)

Now I'm a prosperous adult, but I might not be if I'd taken a serious wrong turn. Private school doesn't get all the credit, but I really think I'd have gotten into a lot of trouble in the public system in my city. I'm a renegade who plays by his own rules, and good decisions aren't my thing. Having fewer opportunities to make bad decisions may be all that saved me.

I say if you can afford it, private schools usually don't hurt a kid's chances. Assuming we're talking private schools that really do offer some shelter, that is.

• Locked thread