Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Kilmers Elbow posted:

A classy driver would have simply called him a cucumber and drove on.

Thank god we have people like Lewis around to treat dangerously bad pay drivers with the contempt they deserve then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

El Hefe posted:

No one on the grid is more unlikable than Lewis.

It's going to be funny when in 15 years everyone will go on about how much of a real racer and not stuck up German robot Hamilton was, especially after all drivers are replaced by actual robots.

Anyway, my main joy is derived from watching Nico fail, so I'm glad things are going well for the cause.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Spoken like the worst pay driver on the grid

Gutierrez is a competitor to Lewis in the same way I'm a competitor to Usain Bolt when I go for a jog

poty fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 24, 2016

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I think we should just ditch the blue flag rules and make backmarkers something that the front runners just have to deal with.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bad idea when Red Bull still own two teams.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

NtotheTC posted:

Button seems really pissed with McLaren
I'm going to miss Their Jense when he retires. He's the only driver who says anything clever or interesting on the radio. Even Prettiest Driver Fernando can only grunt things like TWO WARNINGS?? or HE GO OFF TRACK and Kimi might have amusing things to say but nobody can hear them.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Alain Post posted:

Bad idea when Red Bull still own two teams.

Man everyone has their own motivations regardless. Schuey moved over for Vettel 2012 Interlagos, not just the Toro Rosso's.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah but that was Gleichschaltung, they both wanted to see the same Reich rise again

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

poty posted:

Spoken like the worst pay driver on the grid

Gutierrez is a competitor to Lewis in the same way I'm a competitor to Usain Bolt when I go for a jog

I hope Gutierrez just trolls Hamilton the rest of the year

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
So, Hamilton was driving slowly deliberately so that Ricciardo would've gotten the undercut and passed Rosberg during the first round of pitstops, right? He was going super slow until his engineer told him "uh we're gonna pit Nico first if you keep driving like this bro" and then suddenly he was magically 1-1,5 seconds per lap quicker. Not the biggest fan of the lad but that's a clever bit of racecraft.

My favourite part of the race was the Sky commentators in 100% honesty wondering whether Palmer would be penalized for going off track limits after he spun off. They are seriously the worst.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

cgfreak posted:

So, Hamilton was driving slowly deliberately so that Ricciardo would've gotten the undercut and passed Rosberg during the first round of pitstops, right? He was going super slow until his engineer told him "uh we're gonna pit Nico first if you keep driving like this bro" and then suddenly he was magically 1-1,5 seconds per lap quicker. Not the biggest fan of the lad but that's a clever bit of racecraft.

My favourite part of the race was the Sky commentators in 100% honesty wondering whether Palmer would be penalized for going off track limits after he spun off. They are seriously the worst.

The two Mercs finished 25+ seconds ahead of the field, that plan was never going to work out.

The FIA are so dumb with these rules I can't blame Sky.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

cgfreak posted:

he said in an interview afterwards he was just protecting his engine. may have been true but yeah i think he was hoping someone could have jumped rosberg at the stops.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm going to miss Their Jense when he retires. He's the only driver who says anything clever or interesting on the radio. Even Prettiest Driver Fernando can only grunt things like TWO WARNINGS?? or HE GO OFF TRACK and Kimi might have amusing things to say but nobody can hear them.

Kimi let loose with an odyssey length rant on the last lap, the most he's produced in a decade. Not a single intelligible word though.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Fernando said once that Drivers don't really need to be told where people are in relation to themselves, because there are big timing screens at tracks for the fans and they read them on the straights. At that point in the race the red bulls were closing on Nico, he knew what he was doing, Mercedes knew what he was doing because he had done it before, it was clever but he would be infinity more likeable if he'd chuckled down the radio and gone "ok it's a fair cop man" and speeded up instead of bitching.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Hamilton credited God with his recent run of good races to Buxton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFKSeL1OGjU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Gutierrez calls Hamilton disrespectful

He really does have the thinnest skin, but the main reason I linked this is because of:

Gutierrez posted:

"He should respect all of the competitors. You never know, maybe in the future I will be fighting for a championship with him, so he has to respect that."
:laffo:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

nsaP posted:

I think we should just ditch the blue flag rules and make backmarkers something that the front runners just have to deal with.

Its just another thing they drivers will bitch and moan about at this point.

nsaP posted:

Man everyone has their own motivations regardless. Schuey moved over for Vettel 2012 Interlagos, not just the Toro Rosso's.

And promptly ran Kamui off the track like a lap and a half later.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

We'll only see if Hamilton is actually a good driver when he goes back to McLaren and posts top quali times like Nando in the wet. You could put a monkey in the merc and expect it to win.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
just the fact that Nico has a million race wins and poles tells you that it's all the car, Lewis is just less of a fraud than Nico.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

F1 has always been about the car its just some drivers can maybe drag one beyond its station if they're talented enough.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Verstappen, Holding up Kimi.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Things about this race:

- the radio ban is stupid as poo poo
- the radio ban is a farce
- the track limits thing? 3 warnings? gently caress that, track limits should be marked with solid reinforced concrete wall
- Lewis is a oval office
- the radio ban is loving stupid
- Nico ffs, you're the only person in a position to take Lewis on, do us all a favour and pull your finger out of your arse and do something about him

iospace posted:

I got up this morning early to catch at least part of the race, went "gently caress it, it'll be Mercedes 1-2 with either Red Bull or Ferrari 3rd, with absolutely fuckall action," and promptly went back to sleep.

Looks like I was right.

I want to make a website similar to the 'has maldonado crashed today' one that would be called 'should I bother watching the race or not' - only problem is I need someone to watch it live and post a yes/no... wait I've got it. It'll be a crowdsourced affair, post to twitter with '#worthwatchingtheF1 yes' or '#worthwatchingtheF1 no' and it'll feedback to the site, and the site will give you a percentage of yes/no votes - leaving you able to decide whether to waste your evening watching it on catch up.

gently caress it, that's my Monday project right there.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

I imagine the words 'snap chat' make some people here either cringe in dread or frown in incomprehension, so I stuck Lewis's victory celebration on one of these web streaming sites for easy consumption. https://streamable.com/jl1q

Sounds like the last word spoken at end is BAKU for some reason. Well done Baku.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

enri posted:

- Nico ffs, you're the only person in a position to take Lewis on, do us all a favour and pull your finger out of your arse and do something about him
Yeah but the only thing he can do is crash into Lewis and Toto doesn't like that

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

andyf posted:

I imagine the words 'snap chat' make some people here either cringe in dread or frown in incomprehension, so I stuck Lewis's victory celebration on one of these web streaming sites for easy consumption. https://streamable.com/jl1q

Sounds like the last word spoken at end is BAKU for some reason. Well done Baku.

Haha Lewis singing the song from Cool Runnings is :3:.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

A True Aussie Legend, gently caress the interview, give me the booze :australia:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Ricky D still the best F1 driver.

Genuinely shocked to discover myself liking Lewis more after today. Maybe I wouldn't mind if he wins another one.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

enri posted:

I want to make a website similar to the 'has maldonado crashed today' one that would be called 'should I bother watching the race or not' - only problem is I need someone to watch it live and post a yes/no... wait I've got it. It'll be a crowdsourced affair, post to twitter with '#worthwatchingtheF1 yes' or '#worthwatchingtheF1 no' and it'll feedback to the site, and the site will give you a percentage of yes/no votes - leaving you able to decide whether to waste your evening watching it on catch up.

It could be simpler than that:

code:
if(BernieInCharge) { "No" };

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I hope Haas sacks Gutierrez before the end of the season.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

enri posted:

Use a bot to monitor IRC during the race. If the topic is cooking then no, it is not worth watching. Also you shouldn't watch the race either.

You could probably go by average posts per minute in this thread too.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I actually enjoyed that race. While nothing much happened, the potential was always there.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That race would have been a hell of a lot more interesting to watch if for the last 30 or so laps if FOM had switched between the two RB vs Ferarri battles, instead of focusing on Kmi and Max in the hope that they would bin it.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

enri posted:

If you have this weird Stockholm Syndrome thing going on with F1 to the point where you're seriously typing poo poo like this up, then muster up all the energy you can to stop watching it, and the curse will be broken for you. Honestly it reminds me of the women at work who detest watching certain soaps but have to watch them all so they can discuss them at length the next morning.

learnincurve posted:

That race would have been a hell of a lot more interesting to watch if for the last 30 or so laps if FOM had switched between the two RB vs Ferarri battles, instead of focusing on Kmi and Max in the hope that they would bin it.

Ricciardo-Vettel was just Max-Kimi except Vettel never got close enough to even feign a move, switching between them would have just meant you were watching a slightly less close battle half the time.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Whitey Ford posted:

You could probably go by average posts per minute in this thread too.
This is true. If I miss a race live I can tell how exciting it's going to be watching the replay by how many new posts there are in the thread.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lewis in petulant little snitch shocker: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamilton-denies-triggering-rosberg-investigation-802163/

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Mind games forever

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Clarence posted:

This is true. If I miss a race live I can tell how exciting it's going to be watching the replay by how many new posts there are in the thread.

Or Bernie died.

Sometimes there will be several hundred unread posts and I figure that immortal Ecclestone wasn't actually immortal.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

the sport will probably eat itself in the power struggle that will happen the moment bernie dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Quali a shambles, race boring. Only winner this weekend was #mindgames, if you're into that sort of thing

I say this as someone who often finds races good that others say are pants

• Locked thread