Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpitefulHammer
Dec 27, 2012
So how is watercolour Morrowind? Anybody here using it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

SpitefulHammer posted:

So how is watercolour Morrowind? Anybody here using it?

I used it for a while. It's not bad! Makes everything a little sharper while at the same time giving it a cool stylized look. It's a good choice if you don't like those '4196x4196 ULTRA HD RAINDROPS' texture packs.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Just watch out for the sandstorm texture, you probably want to keep the original file of that. They applied a watercolour filter to everything indiscriminately and sandstorms look extremely goofy like square texture panels flying at you

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

SwissCM posted:

They didn't seem to learn the lesson from Skyrim where the first mod everyone installs is SkyUI because it makes the game about 300% better to play. Fallout 4 is the same old poo poo.

Along these lines- is there a UI mod for morrowind that y'all would recommend?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Quantumfate posted:

no

MGEXE has some optional UI mods that can add things like companion health bars and ownership tags. MGEXE also supports the 100% necessary Better Dialogue Font and allows for UI upscaling. That's all you need.

counter question: what would you even change? Inventory screen is the worst part but overall it's better than any other vanilla bethesda game.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

There's a mod I've seen others use that changes the icons of some inventory items. Mostly potions I think, so you can easily see what effect they have.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I keep telling myself openmw is gonna hit 1.0 soon and then I will do a mega ultra nodded install. It looks like I will be right sooner rather than later though.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Quantumfate posted:

I made this but it's not amazing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

i want to piss and poo poo in the river odai upstream from balmora

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

i want to piss and poo poo in the river odai upstream from balmora

is the redoran manor upstream

please tell me asap it is important

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it's nowhere near the river you fuckman

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I'm thinking of the hlaalu manor nevermind

which is downriver from balmora

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

loving hell. jesus. gently caress

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
It seems like one of the lead developers for openMW – Scrawl – has had to take some time off due to real life/health issues.

Stay safe openMW :ohdear:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Entropy238 posted:

I've never had any issue with Fliggerty's keyring mod for what it's worth. If there's any faults they can probably be remedied via console/noclip anyway.

I will declare a fatwah on Bethesda if they release the next Elder Scrolls game on PC with a UI similar to the one in Oblivion/Skyrim. There's literally no loving excuse at this stage.

I found that the way spell-casting worked in Skyrim was definitely a step back from Oblivion too. Spell charging and assigning a spell to a certain hand seem cool but all they actually ended up doing was making the magic system clunkier than it already was without really providing any real tangible benefits over the old style of spell-casting, or at least any benefits that couldn't be incorporated with tweaks to the old system.

Morrowind with MCP Oblivion-Style casting feature is the best.

I found in playing Skyrim that whenever I used spells it was almost always doing the double-hand version because why wouldn't I want more healing/damage/duration so spellcasting in Skyrim is almost exactly the same as Morrowind except I have to double-press all the hotkeys. Skyrim's two-hand system is just so awkward on the whole.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Gobblecoque posted:

I found in playing Skyrim that whenever I used spells it was almost always doing the double-hand version because why wouldn't I want more healing/damage/duration so spellcasting in Skyrim is almost exactly the same as Morrowind except I have to double-press all the hotkeys. Skyrim's two-hand system is just so awkward on the whole.

280% mana for 220% damage, what's not to like!

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

raminasi posted:

280% mana for 220% damage, what's not to like!

I agree, using a bit more of a virtually unlimited resource in exchange for better effectiveness is a pretty obvious choice.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Gobblecoque posted:

I agree, using a bit more of a virtually unlimited resource in exchange for better effectiveness is a pretty obvious choice.

It's a 40% mana increase for a 10% damage increase. I dunno, my early/mid-game mages always have problems with damage per mana point, not damage per second, so I never get that perk.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

raminasi posted:

It's a 40% mana increase for a 10% damage increase. I dunno, my early/mid-game mages always have problems with damage per mana point, not damage per second, so I never get that perk.

For damage things isn't a big part of it is getting more than twice the damage out in the same amount of time? So then they die quicker and don't have enough time to kill you, like double firestream does a poo poo ton more damage over 3 seconds than firestream in one one hand.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Skwirl posted:

For damage things isn't a big part of it is getting more than twice the damage out in the same amount of time? So then they die quicker and don't have enough time to kill you, like double firestream does a poo poo ton more damage over 3 seconds than firestream in one one hand.

I guess I might have jumped the gun a little bit; I'm talking about the perk that lets you combine to identical one-handed spells into one bigger spell. I don't think it's worth it when compared to just casting the same spell from each hand.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
2.2x effectiveness for 2.8x cost is a bullshit metric. If they wanted Skyrim's magic to be balanced, they could've done a better job.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

Mortimer posted:

I almost forgot this thread existed
xpost from the skyrim modding thread because I'm dumb and posted it there

I signed up for TR again
Well, this might be a bit late, but you poor fool. Welcome to hell.

quote:

do these guys actually do anything or is it all meetings and planning? they're working on heightmaps for dres land and apparently old ebonheart and almalexia aren't really closer to done than two years ago. I just want to write quests :qq:
Mostly meetings and planning right now, unfortunately. Current TR has a lot of catching up to do with the clusterfucks of 2014/2015.
The leadership and reviewers which used to deal with CS work went awol over the years and regrowing CS and organisatorial expertise on the level TR needs takes time, and we got a pretty big backlog and next to no organised documentation. And the documentation which does exist is disorganised and mired in half-statements and expected rewrites.

We're working on it, though. But at the moment it's mostly boring groundworks that should have been done in 2009/2010.

Not all is confined to planning, though: the new(est) heightmap (it's totally going to stick this time, I swear!) will be in TR1609, along with the region revamp and the city renames, so for the first time in seemingly forever, everyone will actually know what the hell people are talking about when they name-drop things from the planning documents. I'm also hopeful for some of the interiors stuck on the old forums to be merged, and the new Menaan claims seem likely to be in it, along with some of the new quests and assets.

I'm secretly wishing for Stuporstar to register and save us all, but I'm not holding out hope that this will happen.

Atrayonis fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 2, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I am excited both for the progress that I've seen in the past few weeks and for the idea that at some point in the near future I can write quests

and by write I mean implement

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Atrayonis posted:

I'm secretly wishing for Stuporstar to register and save us all, but I'm not holding out hope that this will happen.

Haaa, I might have been tempted had I not just started a huge collaboration with another modder on a massive town mod based on a WIP I've had in the dry docks for a couple years now. We're in the planning stages now, determined not to make the same mistakes as TR by setting standards from the get-go. After tearing apart all that's left of Uvirith Inside and overhauling Uvirith's Legacy all over again (not finished, and won't be ready for beta testing for months yet), I know all too well what it's like bringing huge legacy mods up to standard.

There were times where I would have joined LGNPC or TR in a heartbeat, but unfortunately at that time both mods leadership were in total upheaval. It's a shame I don't have the time to dedicate to it now that it sounds like poo poo is getting sorted out.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Ah, would have been too nice.
Good luck with your new mod and I'm looking forward to the shiny new UL.

Something else you might need to be aware of: data unification with Project Tamriel (Skyrim: Home of the Nord & Province Cyrodiil) is underway and it seems likely that it will be released with TR1609 or 1612.
So if you use TR's meshes or textures in your own items, they will break. Thankfully, an Esp quick editor is in the works which will make the switching painless.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Atrayonis posted:

Ah, would have been too nice.
Good luck with your new mod and I'm looking forward to the shiny new UL.

Something else you might need to be aware of: data unification with Project Tamriel (Skyrim: Home of the Nord & Province Cyrodiil) is underway and it seems likely that it will be released with TR1609 or 1612.
So if you use TR's meshes or textures in your own items, they will break. Thankfully, an Esp quick editor is in the works which will make the switching painless.

Thanks for the heads-up. Luckily I haven't been using a lot TR meshes, because I've been content to rely on TR's esms for my major mods with add-ons instead. I've had to do a complete overhaul of my own meshes and their IDs as well, so I'll have to release all my updates on UL, the Tea Mod, and Books of Vvardenfell together. BoV's been done for a year, but releasing it now would make it incompatible with the current UL.

If you guys ever need more meshes, specifically realistic crafting tools that still fit the vanilla aesthetic, I have a currently unreleased package full of them: a full blacksmith set, wooden armor forms, a full glassblowing set, a full cooper's set, and I'm working on a carpentry set and tanning/leatherwork set as well.

Also it's great to hear Skyrim: Home of the Nords is still being worked on. I thought that project was dead. I used to hang with the dudes who started it, but haven't heard from any of them for years.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Just got OpenMW to build and run successfully from source :hellyeah:

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Speaking of OpenMW, it looks like the next version will be released soon-ish.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Alikchi posted:

Speaking of OpenMW, it looks like the next version will be released soon-ish.

The 0.40 Windows installer is already in their download folders too.

https://downloads.openmw.org/windows/

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 2, 2016

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
OpenMW does not play nice with GCDLean, looks like. Magicka calculations are all out of whack.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

raminasi posted:

OpenMW does not play nice with GCDLean, looks like. Magicka calculations are all out of whack.

That's a known issue.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I think it got worse with 0.40.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
OpenMW 0.40 Release Commentary

CS Commentary

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Tamriel_Data is live!
One big, happy asset repository for Tamriel Rebuilt, Skyrim: Home of the Nords, Province Cyrodiil, and everyone else who wants it too.

With patcher and everything.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Cool. I'm tempted to reinstall Morrowind just to look at what's inside.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Atrayonis posted:

Tamriel_Data is live!
One big, happy asset repository for Tamriel Rebuilt, Skyrim: Home of the Nords, Province Cyrodiil, and everyone else who wants it too.

With patcher and everything.

Oh hell yeah i was just looking at some of those big province mods but it looked like a hassle to install them all manually

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I feel it in my bones that openmw is so god drat close to 1.0 and I am super excited about that. The amount of cool stuff they will be able to do to that game post 1.0 and full source code access is gonna be amazing.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

cheesetriangles posted:

I feel it in my bones that openmw is so god drat close to 1.0 and I am super excited about that. The amount of cool stuff they will be able to do to that game post 1.0 and full source code access is gonna be amazing.

I feel like there's going to be a handful of groups just as crazy and dedicated enough as the openmw crew are that are going to kick open the doors and keep this game with a dedicated community for decades to come

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Alchemy in this game is such a chore with the hoovering over ingredients looking for the right effects, is there a mod that makes this easier? Something that works with OpenMW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kamrat posted:

Alchemy in this game is such a chore with the hoovering over ingredients looking for the right effects, is there a mod that makes this easier? Something that works with OpenMW?

I just use these two utilities:

http://morrowind.inventivegamer.com/tools/potion-maker/
https://xnode.org/page/Morrowind_Alchemy_Helper

99% of the ingredients in the game are available at restocking vendors. If you go to the ingredient's page on the UESP wiki it'll tell you where you can pick them up.

If you buy restocking ingredients from a vendor and then sell them back to the vendor it will increase their permanent stock. Each time they restock they'll have the ones you sold them back added to their permanent supply. Do it enough times and you'll be able to buy your 200 Ash Yams and 200 Bloat in one go - same for other ingredients e.g. those used to make restore health, restore mana potions.