Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Why the gently caress would a starship have a stun setting? What could you possibly use that for outside of this one specific case?

Someone at Starfleet forgot the memo that they weren't building a Culture ROU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nitrousoxide posted:

What was the episode of TNG where some species that had barely achieved space flight/warp drive and had been hitting the enterprise for several hours with laser weapons and doing basically nothing? Like they were down to 99% shields.
If it had been VOY, the second barrage would have disabled their navigational array, caused a breech on deck 7, and left their shields at 82%

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I always think of the three fighters that approach the Borg cube in Best of Both Worlds when it enters the solar system. Pew pew pew, doesn't even slow down.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Fighters pretty much have to be remotely piloted ships for Trek. There's no way something that size has a shield generator that'll take a hit from a ship of decent size.

Unless it's some monster like the Defiant

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The shield thing actually makes sense as a way to kind of back justify why it's not all just an extension of modern military tactics in space. Even if everything was operated by combat computers you'd still need to take along a lot of power if you intend to survive any hits at all. I think the TNG guide also said that a navigational deflector is both automatic and connected to FTL sensors so that kind of messes up the ol' "kinetic kill on inhabited planet" option.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Maqui had Federation built fighters that were roughly the size of Runabout, those ships from BoBW weren't all that much smaller. Hell even shuttlecraft can do low warp and have shields.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
It really depends how accurate the Fire Control Systems are on 24th century vessels. If they are fallible, then speed and maneuverbility would be the best shields.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Fighters pretty much have to be remotely piloted ships for Trek. There's no way something that size has a shield generator that'll take a hit from a ship of decent size.

Unless it's some monster like the Defiant

And the Defiant was 170 metres long.

Rhyno posted:

The Maqui had Federation built fighters that were roughly the size of Runabout, those ships from BoBW weren't all that much smaller. Hell even shuttlecraft can do low warp and have shields.

Marquis depended on the badlands to be able to to fight effectively. We don't even know if the BoBW things were ships or missiles or how big they were.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 25, 2016

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Transparent aluminum! :argh:

This has been my review of Beyond. (It was good)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The big ppbo with star trek fights is how anyone forces an engagement in the first place.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Falken posted:

It really depends how accurate the Fire Control Systems are on 24th century vessels. If they are fallible, then speed and maneuverbility would be the best shields.

I guess it depends on the specific numbers in this hypothetical universe. If weapons are so destructive that building big ships is a waste of material and energy because they can be destroyed just as easily as little ships then it makes sense to only build little ships.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Pretty good write-up of some post-panel interviews over at Trekmovie. In particular;

quote:

When Trekmovie.com asked Kadin if the teaser for Star Trek: Discovery featured the final design of the ship, music, and logo, she laughed and said “NO! I was surprised Bryan didn’t say that, actually. I mean, we had three weeks to throw that together. We wanted to show fans…we’re super-excited by the score that this amazing composer, Phil Eisner, threw together as an audition and he did an incredible job. The concepts of the ship are totally what we’re going for and they’ll be honed up until, I think, the day we deliver.”

Emphasis mine. I'm glad we have an explanation for how rough everything looks, but doesn't this put them pretty far behind on production? Especially if they hope to premiere in January?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Pretty good write-up of some post-panel interviews over at Trekmovie. In particular;

Emphasis mine. I'm glad we have an explanation for how rough everything looks, but doesn't this put them pretty far behind on production? Especially if they hope to premiere in January?

Yeah, this is less than encouraging, even the music sounded tacky as hell and I'm sure there are geeks floating around youtube that could have slapped something more impressive together in loving blender over three weeks.

I was really optimistic given who was brought on to work on these show but now my gut feeling is that it'll look and sound lame. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Why the gently caress would a starship have a stun setting? What could you possibly use that for outside of this one specific case?

It's easy to see why it would be useful. Maybe it's so useful that it's become a standard tool in the phaser system, and you can dial-a-yield for stun-from-orbit accounting for range and atmospheric interference etc.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Huh, I didn't realize Rod Roddenberry had a formal role with the new show.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So all the "clues" people are seeing suggesting a Klingon/Federation joint project are really just random noise from taking a bunch of random poo poo someone thought was "cool" and throwing it into the trailer.

And lol that their response to "will you be sued for using that ship design" is "we're wondering the same thing!"

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
All the other series had at least a years run up in preproduction to get everything setup and they don't even have the drat captain's chair finished or a final design locked down the the new ship. This is gonna feel really rushed isn't it?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I wouldn't be surprised if CBS was being cheap and giving them a tiny budget to work with.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if CBS was being cheap and giving them a tiny budget to work with.

It's certainly looking that way.

On the one hand it sucks that the CGI from the teaser will be the quality level of the show. On the other hand if they can spit out better than DS9 quality CGI for dirt loving cheap they might be more willing to experiment with different ahahahaha just kidding it's gonna be awful and we won't have another trek show for a decade.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I really won't mind if the CG looks kinda eh, as long as it's versatile enough to enable storytelling possibilities. It's the writing I'm more concerned with.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

MikeJF posted:

I really won't mind if the CG looks kinda eh, as long as it's versatile enough to enable storytelling possibilities. It's the writing I'm more concerned with.

He produced Dead like Me, which is one of my favorite tv shows, but he also wrote Spirit Folk, Alice, and Retrospect while working on Voyager (where he was a writer, story editor and co-producer for 81 episodes).

Now I'm not going to hold all of Voyager against him, but I'm going to be taking a wait and see approach before I sign up for CBS all access.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

MikeJF posted:

Same. It could be 2 dudes in a shuttlecraft, but if there aren't good scifi shory stories then this will be a short lived venture. Or at least one I don't want to watch.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Same. It could be 2 dudes in a shuttlecraft, but if there aren't good scifi shory stories then this will be a short lived venture. Or at least one I don't want to watch.
Ah, I see you're also a fan of Homeboys in Outer Space!

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

8one6 posted:

He produced Dead like Me, which is one of my favorite tv shows, but he also wrote Spirit Folk, Alice, and Retrospect while working on Voyager (where he was a writer, story editor and co-producer for 81 episodes).

He was co-producer in season 7, where there were like a dozen different producers. He was maybe tenth in the pecking order.

But yeah, it's his first real set of credits. Some of them aren't amazing. But he also had some of the more unusual episodes like bride of chaotica, course: oblivion and he had a hand in living witness. So even when he wasn't fully in charge he at least tried to do interesting things in the giant blandness that is voyager.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Dark One posted:

Huh, I didn't realize Rod Roddenberry had a formal role with the new show.

Interesting. He's heavily involved with Star Trek Continues as well, in fact he said about that production:
"“I'm pretty drat sure my dad would consider this canon. And, as far as I'm concerned, it is canon.” -Eugene ”Rod” Roddenberry, Jr."

And also:
"Ultimately, I’m a fan of the fans keeping Star Trek alive.” Roddenberry said. “The group that I’m really interested in right now is Star Trek Continues. Their writing, their costumes, their sets, their lightning — everything is spectacular. I’d say a lot of those episodes are as good and in some cases better than some of the original episodes.” he said of the celebrated fan series."

It seems his role as EP of Discovery is more of a "goodwill ambassador" than anything else, but perhaps his being somewhat involved in Discovery is the reason why Continues is still apparently producing full episodes as of today.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Ah, I see you're also a fan of Homeboys in Outer Space!
Should've replaced Voyager, in my opinion.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't mind it, but it doesn't make much sense. What happens when you build a ship wider than the doors? Suddenly your huge gently caress-off spacedock isn't compatible with the newest ships.

Just build a bigger mushroom! :buddy:

They did the same thing with the orbital office/Spacelab model the next season:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Oh, I saw Beyond this weekend. Overall I liked it, definitely the strongest of the last three in my opinion.

Was it just the theater I was at, or was the sequence where Kirk and Chekov fire the thrusters and flip the wrecked saucer a big muddy mess? I couldn't tell what the hell Kirk was supposedly aiming at, and I didn't see how they didn't just wind up splatting on the ground after falling off the saucer.

(Also, when can we stop using spoiler tags to discuss the movie?)

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Apollodorus posted:

No, NCC-1031 isn't necessarily pre-TOS. The Constellation in "The Doomsday Machine" was NCC-1017, remember, and it was the same class as the Enterprise.
Yeah, but that's an exception to the rule (but definitely not the only one), and was only because it's an anagram of the 1701 stickers that came with the model kit. I'm not sure why they'd intentionally choose a lower registry number unless they wanted to imply an older ship, but who knows, if they threw that model together in three weeks maybe it's not even the final registry number. Maybe one of the modelers is just a big fan of Halloween.

Kazy posted:

Transparent aluminum! :argh:

This has been my review of Beyond. (It was good)
Hey, it just so happens that when you change the molecular structure to make aluminum transparent it becomes brittle like glass. And just as weak as glass.

Also to be fair I don't think transparent aluminum was mentioned until the movie era, it's possible it wasn't around or widespread until then. Maybe it took that company a really really long time to work it out from Scotty's formula on that Mac Classic.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Starfleet obviously randomizes registry numbers to defeat the German Tank Problem.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Just build a bigger mushroom! :buddy:

They did the same thing with the orbital office/Spacelab model the next season:

:argh: Budget!

Although it would kind've defeat the point of Spacedock. It's a pity they didn't have the tech to just show bigger doors on the mushroom.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 25, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Knormal posted:

Yeah, but that's an exception to the rule (but definitely not the only one), and was only because it's an anagram of the 1701 stickers that came with the model kit. I'm not sure why they'd intentionally choose a lower registry number unless they wanted to imply an older ship, but who knows, if they threw that model together in three weeks maybe it's not even the final registry number. Maybe one of the modelers is just a big fan of Halloween.

Hey, it just so happens that when you change the molecular structure to make aluminum transparent it becomes brittle like glass. And just as weak as glass.

Also to be fair I don't think transparent aluminum was mentioned until the movie era, it's possible it wasn't around or widespread until then. Maybe it took that company a really really long time to work it out from Scotty's formula on that Mac Classic.
You'd think they'd have made the Constellation NCC-1710 then

Or bought another sticker but I guess that'd have cut into Gene's rubbers budget

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Constellation was made out of ERTL Enterprise model kits with the decals cut up and rearranged so they could smash it up without ruining a hella expensive shooting model for a single episode, that's why it's 1017. Also nobody gave a poo poo about registry numbers back then, jesus.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

MikeJF posted:

Although it would kind've defeat the point of Spacedock. It's a pity they didn't have the tech to just show bigger doors on the mushroom.

And if I remember correctly, they literally took the shot frame-for-frame from Search for Spock, sliced out the Ent-A from the composite, and inserted the Ent-D because of budget.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Re:Spacedock

Yorktown is going to have the same problems in about 70 years when the Kelvin Timeline Galaxy class ships start showing up, or maybe they just have bigger tunnels elsewhere..?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

By the way

Drone posted:

And the scenes with Sulu's family were a great addition and thank gently caress it's finally been done after 50 years of Star Trek, but they still felt a little tacked-on. Yes, as a gay audience member, during most of the discussion about how Krall was planning to attack Yorktown, I kept thinking "but that's where Sulu's hubby and kid are, don't hurt them :ohdear: , and that is powerful. As is the shot of Sulu keeping his daughter's photo on the helm console and that totally-not-obvious-at-all light glinting off of his wedding band to make it noticeable. But couldn't they have found an actor for his husband to make it seem more convincing? Could they have at least had a peck on the cheek? Could he or their daughter at least been given a name (and her name better be Demora)?

What occurred to me most vividly about that one scene was how easily it could be edited out for foreign distribution in countries that would object to it. :commissar:

It's been happening a lot lately, bunch of American cartoons with gay content getting censored for China, Russia, Africa, the UK...

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 25, 2016

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Oh, I saw Beyond this weekend. Overall I liked it, definitely the strongest of the last three in my opinion.

Was it just the theater I was at, or was the sequence where Kirk and Chekov fire the thrusters and flip the wrecked saucer a big muddy mess? I couldn't tell what the hell Kirk was supposedly aiming at, and I didn't see how they didn't just wind up splatting on the ground after falling off the saucer.

(Also, when can we stop using spoiler tags to discuss the movie?)

I had the same problem, but I also wondered if it was a problem with the (rubbish) theatre, I thought the projector was too dim and possibly a little out of focus. Or maybe my eyes are going. :shrug:

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
As much as I loved Beyond, the shaky cam during fight sequences was awful

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The_Doctor posted:

Re:Spacedock

Yorktown is going to have the same problems in about 70 years when the Kelvin Timeline Galaxy class ships start showing up, or maybe they just have bigger tunnels elsewhere..?

I imagine they have universal docking ports on the sides that are compatible with all large ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I'm guessing the "suit logic' behind Discovery was along the lines of:

"The Force Awakens made $2 billion dollars worldwide using rejected Ralph McQuarrie designs? Think of what we can do with our own rejected designs!"