Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Mr Teatime posted:

How well does this run when compared to Attila? I was able to run Rome 2 with pretty much everything on ultra but I had to knock everything but the essentials down to performance for Attila to manage 30fps when zooming in on a battle. Should I expect another big loss in performance? I don't mind lowering settings and I'm generally happy to hit 30fps but if I have to drop the settings to the point where battles look like something drawn with a crayon I may hold off buying until I build a new desktop. I'm running an 860m/i7-4700, please don't judge me for having a gaming laptop, I work in the middle of the ocean for months at a time so I have no choice.

Seconding the response that this runs better than Rome 2. Never played Attila though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Attila runs worse than Rome 2 and TW:W runs far better than both of them.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mans posted:

Loot, don't conquer and try to make peace with the secondary dwarf factions. You'll need tons of money, you'll need bigguns and you'll need wolf riders to survive Thorgrim. Azhag is a cool LL, specially with a Magic Mod, but his early game is super anemic and you've got to pick your fights.

Remember that two or three units of goblin spearmen leading the charge to soak up all the dwarven ranged fire is almost mandatory if you want success versus the stunties.

Mans posted:

Loot, don't conquer and try to make peace with the secondary dwarf factions. You'll need tons of money, you'll need bigguns and you'll need wolf riders to survive Thorgrim. Azhag is a cool LL, specially with a Magic Mod, but his early game is super anemic and you've got to pick your fights.

Remember that two or three units of goblin spearmen leading the charge to soak up all the dwarven ranged fire is almost mandatory if you want success versus the stunties.

Ammanas posted:

Yeah dont fight a full dwarf stack until lile turn 30, even on normal battle difficulty the tier 1 & 2 units will lose. That or have overwhelming number superiority. Use the fact that ai wont really siege and attack black crag and hit and run other settlements to build a waaargh.

Thank you guys. That did it. I made it over the hump. Now that I've got Boar Units the stunties are going down. Azhag's starting units were such a drag. Still wish the Crown of Command was there day one. I also kept getting really unlucky with Thorgrim tendency to march down to hit me napping in a smaller town. This time he left me alone for a bit plus Looting while bashin the other Orc and gobbos gave me some insane money. Took the Waagh magic mod and apparently it disabled my death magic. Boo. But I refuse to start over again. Having one stack of pure gobbo is fun as a backup army. They... are lacking one on one but the sheer numbers seem to make autoresolve a guaranteed win. Yeah.... just mobbing up and numerical superiority is such a tried and true green tactic. God I love Orks in every setting.

As an aside: bought Napoleon: Total War and apparently it doesnt like some Nvidia Windows 10 machines like mine. Going to have to play around with graphics a bit as its a known bug. Sad as I want to get in on some war against old Boney. For the Motherland.

Reading about Attila still makes me curious. I really want to become the flail of god and pile skulls of those fools that stood against me. For the blood of my ancestors if nothing else.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 24, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Consensus on what the best agent balance mod is on the workshop atm? Other than the one that completely neuters their ability to perform aggressive actions, that is?

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Whenever I do use any agent mod, I find this the best one: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=694959518&searchtext=less+op

Lessens the spam, while making it go both ways, thus not handicapping the AI like so many other agent mods do.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I still don't have an agent or Norsca nerf mod. I keep waffling on it.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Deified Data posted:

Yeah, rushing a Waaagh is definitely the key to early game superiority with Orcs. Pick on the Red Fangs for a while until you get one and curbstomp the Dwarfs with sheer numbers.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Rygar201 posted:

I still don't have an agent or Norsca nerf mod. I keep waffling on it.

I played my Empire campaign with a Norsca nerf on and I never even met them until end-game. It went a bit too far and made them worthless, or at least effected their AI in such a way that made them too conservative so they never attacked anyone until the Chaos invasion started. I uninstalled it for now but I'm always looking for something new.

I've never looked back on modding enemy agents, though. The way they are in vanilla just isn't fun. The mod that removes their ability to perform aggressive actions is too much, but they absolutely need something that nerfs their success rates on consecutive actions or the game's just not fun for me.

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
Once I started making sure I built up an assassin asap (apart from dwarfs) enemy agents haven't really been an issue at all in this game. Currently playing as Empire VH, my witch hunter often has 80%+ chance of killing enemy agents. I have 3 of them but have ended up just sending 2 to Marienburg as economic agents.

On a related note, late game Empire is hilariously strong. I had never really played it properly as I'm a chronic restarter and really enjoy the early game struggle.

The Luminark is retarded. I had never bothered using one before. It can 1 - 2 shot basically anything in the game as long as you get it in position to hit. It took 90% of Kholek's (level 5 but still) hp in one shot and routed him. Combine that with some steam tanks and laugh.

I actually intentionally don't assassinate big name lords because my witch hunter has 60% chance on all of them and it feels cheap. So I just Luminark them in battle then run over their army.

jpparker55 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 24, 2016

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm kinda put off on keeping on playing this game due to the ridiculous reinforce bug.

i kinda forgot about it since i was doing a chaos campaign and there you only run one army isolated but now i'm back to "normal" factions and it's so aggravating.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I don't know whether I should be honored or to respond in orky fashion.

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007

Mans posted:

i'm kinda put off on keeping on playing this game due to the ridiculous reinforce bug.

i kinda forgot about it since i was doing a chaos campaign and there you only run one army isolated but now i'm back to "normal" factions and it's so aggravating.

This is especially infuriating when your lord is in a town, you sally out against a siege and the garrison comes in from the totally opposite side of the map. Like your lord just snuck out around the back of the enemy army.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Olive Branch posted:

SigvalD&D is one of the best parts of this game. I renamed my Sigvald "party" after Baldur's Gate characters and tooled them up to be master warriors. :D

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=718775991

From a few pages ago, but I actually made a mod that lets you do this from turn 1. It enables all heroes and lets you recruit up to 50 of them. It's pretty viable for factions with a good hero range

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't know whether I should be honored or to respond in orky fashion.

pretty sure orky fashion would be to out meme him, which could be hard to do

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
I beat the game on normal with Orks, and now I'm trying to beat it on hard with Chaos. Holy crap is starting a second horde difficult, the fact you have to keep them apart is annoying, but then getting your weak army chased around by enemies you've made and such. My first run I took way too long, and had to fight the Tzeench Deamon with an underprepared army, and spent many turns running away until I managed to beat him, by which time I was too deep into imperial territory and got killed by another army the same turn. This second time started out better, but I went too deep into Middenland, while two of their stacks chased me around, but I couldn't get a good enough second horde going. Karl Franz killed me right after I defeated Middenland's armies.

Any advice on how to run a Chaos campaign? How long should I spend abusing the Varg? Should I fight Skaelig?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

IanTheM posted:

I beat the game on normal with Orks, and now I'm trying to beat it on hard with Chaos. Holy crap is starting a second horde difficult, the fact you have to keep them apart is annoying, but then getting your weak army chased around by enemies you've made and such. My first run I took way too long, and had to fight the Tzeench Deamon with an underprepared army, and spent many turns running away until I managed to beat him, by which time I was too deep into imperial territory and got killed by another army the same turn. This second time started out better, but I went too deep into Middenland, while two of their stacks chased me around, but I couldn't get a good enough second horde going. Karl Franz killed me right after I defeated Middenland's armies.

Any advice on how to run a Chaos campaign? How long should I spend abusing the Varg? Should I fight Skaelig?

Varg and Skaelig are just pit stops to sack and move on from. You're much better off getting past Kislev and into the Empire minors with only a handful of settlements each. Leave factions with "Imperial Distrust" intact and try to rush into the Reikland and smother Karl Franz in his crib

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Don't keep your hordes apart when they are still weak.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Anyone have some tips for starting a legendary empire campaign?

First 10 ish turns I manage just fine turtling up in Altdorf. But everyone is a dick to me and noone wants to trade or go into an alliance. Then Marienburg starts being a megadick and sends 2 full stacks to my capital which I can beat 0% of the time.
Also, Wissenland being friendly under a non aggro pact but still deciding to siege and sack grunburg is a total dick move and I don't understand why the game allows this.

Basically I'm a sucker for unfairly hard settings but also a baby when I can't beat them.

Somemone please give me some pointers how to handle the first 10-20 turns.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Empire feels hella hard on the harder settings because everyone is using the same stuff as you, but just gets stat bonuses so you can't beat them until your lord(s) are ranked up to maxed out honest steel and other good traits.

I had to restart a whole bunch and get lucky with Marienburg taking over half of bretonnia and spreading itself thin while I took some north settlements but there is probably a better way to do it then RNG faction relation luck or going north, I could of easily lost at any early point if the other factions dogpiled me as they are want to do.

Least a dozen restarts where marienburg and it's huge income supported stacks raid while the dwarves declare war at the same time tunneling into my nearest cities while the north declares and has a army waiting for my capital to be undefended.

My advice is to get a extra lord or two early and have them follow around to leech experience so they can lead their own armies when you got the income for it.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 25, 2016

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fangz posted:

Don't keep your hordes apart when they are still weak.

reminder that horde infighting attrition is like, five dudes in each unit per turn.

that's minimal compared to losing a weaker horde.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How many stacks does Big Bird spawn with?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Orc start is easy just get a waaagh off of bloody spearz and kill thorgrim with it before turn 10

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
So I specced a lord for Lightning Strike for the first time, found out it doesn't work when assaulting walled settlements. I guess you can't Lightning Strike a garrisoned army separately from the settlement's default garrison? Also, when I toggled Lightning Strike in the pre-battle window, turning it on would tick the auto resolve bar just a smidge in favor of the enemy. :confused:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Do you ever really need more than one level in Lightning Strike? I try go get every lord 3 in the Upkeep skill and then 1 in Lightning Strike.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
I went with 1 point, the increased reinforce range seems like it could be nice but I didn't want it in this case.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Can you post the original image. This is loving killing me

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Flakey posted:

So I specced a lord for Lightning Strike for the first time, found out it doesn't work when assaulting walled settlements. I guess you can't Lightning Strike a garrisoned army separately from the settlement's default garrison? Also, when I toggled Lightning Strike in the pre-battle window, turning it on would tick the auto resolve bar just a smidge in favor of the enemy. :confused:

Yeah, lightning strike doesn't work with respect to enemies actually inside a settlement. It does work for a stack outside the settlement though. And yes, it applies an auto-resolve malus though I'm not clear why.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Illegal Username posted:

Can you post the original image. This is loving killing me

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Fangz posted:

Yeah, lightning strike doesn't work with respect to enemies actually inside a settlement. It does work for a stack outside the settlement though. And yes, it applies an auto-resolve malus though I'm not clear why.

It applies a slight leadership malus to the enemy.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

It applies a slight leadership malus to the enemy.

Right, so why does it give them an auto resolve bonus?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Deified Data posted:

Consensus on what the best agent balance mod is on the workshop atm? Other than the one that completely neuters their ability to perform aggressive actions, that is?

Less OP Agent Actions + No Order Bonus for Difficulty + No Order Penalty for Difficulty

The AI will actually use agents to try and keep order up, which helps a lot on top of what the Less OP mod does. Rebellions become an actual thing you'll see happen to the AI, which is nice.

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 25, 2016

Muurkas
Apr 20, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

Right, so why does it give them an auto resolve bonus?

With lightning strike friendly armies will not assist either

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Mans posted:

reminder that horde infighting attrition is like, five dudes in each unit per turn.

that's minimal compared to losing a weaker horde.

I feel like this needs to be in the OP, seems like every page someone new posts about a Chaos campaign where they complain about loosing armies that they kept separated due to fear of attrition.

Chaos infighting attrition is there to slow you down, not to discourage you from ever having multiple armies fight together.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It shouldn't really slow you down if you know what you are doing. It does mean that you want to operate as a number of spearheads consisting of two or so stacks in loose coordination, instead of as a single doomstack.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Muurkas posted:

With lightning strike friendly armies will not assist either

I know. Try it. Take one army of yours and attack one army of theirs. Toggle lightning strike. With it off, you'll (sometimes?) have better odds of winning than if it was on, despite it giving your enemies a leadership penality.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gotta say though, Lightning strike is the best and everyone should beeline it. I was able to bust up a huge Brettonian offensive with three stacks, sack a city, and even return to my own borders all on the same turn.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

I know. Try it. Take one army of yours and attack one army of theirs. Toggle lightning strike. With it off, you'll (sometimes?) have better odds of winning than if it was on, despite it giving your enemies a leadership penality.

Auto resolve is known to be fairly broken, its calculations is not based on any actual fight simulation data, so its no wonder random variables gives or takes away an edge in the power balance bar. Besides you gain nothing out of using LS on a single stack who is in a garrison if you're going to auto the fight anyways.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Lightning Strike is hardcore need to tame the Northern wastes (See also - Killing Varg/Skaeling stacks)

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

IanTheM posted:

I used to hate Chaos, it was my least favorite campaign, and now it's probably my favorite since you can really do whatever you want. Anyway, Chaos is not hard once you get going. The hardest part of the game will be the first 10-15 turns. This is the only time of the game where you are somewhat vulnerable and face annihilation. If you start your second horde on the first turn and get the chaos warrior building in your main army ASAP you should be able to roll through everyone on sheer momentum. Don't gently caress around in the north longer than you have to, I usually only go as far as sacking/razing the dwarf faction up there, and go for the Empire early on before they turn into a blob of provinces. You don't have to sack every city on the way either. It can actually be detrimental because the Empire will confederate them behind you.

I usually pick Sigvald. He's probably the easiest to unlock, but I like starting with the hellcannon since it makes sieging/storming settlements with walls in 1 turn an option earlier.

The quest battles for every Chaos lord are a huge loving pain in the rear end in terms of the actual battles, but I think they're worth it. You don't have to have agents run around all over the place either which is nice.

Lightning strike is crucial since you'll probably have one, or at most two, armies in the same general area at a time. In a 1v1 fight, a Chaos stack will beat almost anything the AI comes up with, but you'll get into trouble when they send 3 at a time. It's easier to attack and lightning strike to take them piecemeal. This also means it's not a big deal if the AI is chasing you around the map.

Chaos infighting is only a minor nuisance and you shouldn't really have to deal with it anyway. The only times you should ever need two hordes near each other are when you're besieging a major city with formidable defenses and when you create a new horde.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Thank

• Locked thread