Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Jippa posted:

So what are the regional stereotypes in germany then? I always assumed that munich was the more cultured artsy place and say dortmund was rougher more working class (I can only think in terms of football teams :) ).

Everybody outside the Axis Berlin-Hamburg-Leverkusen is a weirdo who can't speak proper German. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

az posted:

Everybody outside the Axis Berlin-Hamburg-Leverkusen is a weirdo who can't speak proper German. ;)
:yeah:

Jippa posted:

So what are the regional stereotypes in germany then? I always assumed that munich was the more cultured artsy place and say dortmund was rougher more working class (I can only think in terms of football teams :) ).
To be honest, i don't know much about those. It's definitely not as varied as in the USA. There are more broad strokes in that the further south you go, the weirder the language becomes, with Bavaria being the Hochburg of strange talk, with their own wikipedia section ( https://bar.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boarisch ). Similarly the further south you get the more religious things become. And the eastern parts of Germany are *still* poorer than the western parts, but also have more racists. Berlin is a big exception for that, because you have a poo poo ton of students there making use of the vibrant city life and low rents. I actually know nothing about Munich or Dortmund as cities.

Volcott posted:

People whose asylum claims are denied should be returned to their countries of origin: an unreasonable opinion.
Nobody is saying that is unreasonable, the reason they're not deported is that Syria is right now a war zone.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

South of the Main river: sweet civilization
North of the Main river: Literally Mad Max, only retarded. Communicate in noises lifted from a H.P. Lovecraft Cthulhu cultist. Last time they had an economy was when they could enslave Poles to dig coal out of holes in the ground. Should honestly be ceded back to Russia.

Volcott posted:

People whose asylum claims are denied should be returned to their countries of origin: an unreasonable opinion.

"Should be returned to their countries of origin despite an ongoing ultrabrutal civil war" makes it sound a bit less reasonable tho.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 25, 2016

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Riso posted:

Already can see the responses:

Das hat nichts mit dem Islam zu tun.

Ein tragischer Einzelfall.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:allears:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

Last time they had an economy was when they could enslave Poles to dig coal out of holes in the ground. Should honestly be ceded back to Russia.
MeckPomm hat Kühe und Hühner. Glaub ich.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

aphid_licker posted:

North of the Main river: Literally Mad Max, only retarded. Communicate in noises lifted from a H.P. Lovecraft Cthulhu cultist. Last time they had an economy was when they could enslave Poles to dig coal out of holes in the ground. Should honestly be ceded back to Russia.

"Should be returned to their countries of origin despite an ongoing ultrabrutal civil war" makes it sound a bit less reasonable tho.

It's the middle east, there will always be an ongoing ultrabrutal civil war.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Mithaldu posted:

Even Thor fuckin Steinar is apparently based in Dubai.

Volcott posted:

That doesn't make dropping a dude off there to maybe die in it okay.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Volcott posted:

Ignoring the obvious moral issues such a blanket statement brings with it, how do you propose we do transport these people there? Do we borrow the one working Transall the Bundeswehr has left, fly it over to Syria, hoping nobody shoots it down, and kick them out of the plane while in the air? Or should we just call up Assad and ask him nicely to take back people that most likely do not like his already embattled regime?

az
Dec 2, 2005

Volcott posted:

But enough about Saxony.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

http://www.huffingtonpost.de/torste..._hp_ref=germany

These are terrible times.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is that rear end in a top hat smoking a cigar in his photo?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sounds like someone wants to be mistaken for a terrorist like those two plainclothes policemen were and risk being run over in a BMW.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Mithaldu posted:

barely. it has "landschaft", which by definition is the absence of things.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Our landschaft is really pretty tho.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hahahaha, if this dipshit is ever allowed to carry his dick extension in public I'm laufing Amok.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jippa posted:

Warning, hyperbole

Basically we here in the North (former Prussia basically) are the cool and normal guys, apart from some people that became a bit dumber under the communists in East Germany. The "Germans" in the south are strange freaks that nobody likes, especially the Bavarians, who should hurry up and join Austria. No sane German wears Lederhosen.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
With regards to denied asylum requests and how to treat these people:

I think we need to distinguish between 3 cases:

a) Their country of origin is an actual warzone: In this case they should be allowed to stay in Germany, but it should be made very clear that they have no chance to stay here. People that commit crimes should be housed in closed facilities, to prevent them from causing further harm to the public, given that the usual sentences will likely not have a deterring effect.

b) Everyone else: Send them back asap. If they (e.g. throwing away identification papers, lying, etc.) or their country of origin (not accepting people back in) is uncooperative in this effort, house them in similar closed facilities. Additionally make sure that they are not able and have no prospect of ever becoming able to send money back home to support their families.

c) They have a acute illness that prevents them from being transported: Put them in a closed facility with the necessary medical care provided until they can be transported. Worse medical conditions in the country of origin should not prevent deportation in cases of chronic illnesses.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

GaussianCopula posted:

With regards to denied asylum requests and how to treat these people:

I think we need to distinguish between 3 cases:

a) Their country of origin is an actual warzone: In this case they should be allowed to stay in Germany, but it should be made very clear that they have no chance to stay here. People that commit crimes should be housed in closed facilities, to prevent them from causing further harm to the public, given that the usual sentences will likely not have a deterring effect.

b) Everyone else: Send them back asap. If they (e.g. throwing away identification papers, lying, etc.) or their country of origin (not accepting people back in) is uncooperative in this effort, house them in similar closed facilities. Additionally make sure that they are not able and have no prospect of ever becoming able to send money back home to support their families.

c) They have a acute illness that prevents them from being transported: Put them in a closed facility with the necessary medical care provided until they can be transported. Worse medical conditions in the country of origin should not prevent deportation in cases of chronic illnesses.

Maybe you are being ironic, but these three cases are exactly how things are handled right now.
The guy got a Duldung because we ain't gonna send someone back to loving Syria right now.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
so youre saying put em in a kz no matter what

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think the idea of closed facilities manages to be equally unpopular with the left (because of KZ associations) and the right (because foreigners living the good life on OUR TAX MONEY).

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Ya'll are aware none of the asylum seekers practically come from Vietnam war combat zones, but have been living in camps or transit countries like Turkey or Iran (esp Afghans) for long periods?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Boner Slaem posted:

Maybe you are being ironic, but these three cases are exactly how things are handled right now.
The guy got a Duldung because we ain't gonna send someone back to loving Syria right now.

No it's not. They currently get the same prison sentences that Germans do and there is no closed facility housing for them if they or their country of origin does not cooperate with the deportation.

Aix posted:

so youre saying put em in a kz no matter what

First of all I object to you characterizing closed facilities with KZs, given that they goal should not be to kill people or use them as slave labour. Secondly, a person, who entered Germany illegally, even though they have no valid claim to Asylum, would be allowed to live (and work) in Germany as long as they do not commit crimes.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think the idea of closed facilities manages to be equally unpopular with the left (because of KZ associations) and the right (because foreigners living the good life on OUR TAX MONEY).

Well, the tax argument is silly, because the state is paying for them if they live outside of those facilities too and that's probably more expensive, given that the facilities will only need to provide the bare minimum standard of living that doesn't violate human rights.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

There's talk about converting a Duldung to Bleiberecht for people who have no criminal record and can support themselves, and that makes a lot of sense.

See https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duldung_(Aufenthaltsrecht)#Bleiberecht and the next paragraph, Aufenthaltserlaubnis für gut integrierte Geduldete.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

I guess it wasn't vehicular Notwehr this time ...

quote:

„Dass der Fahrer ein Held sei oder Ähnliches, ist absoluter Mumpitz“, sagte ein Polizeisprecher auf Anfrage. Das werde zwar so kolportiert, entspreche aber keineswegs der Wahrheit. So habe der Autofahrer den 21-Jährigen entgegen ersten Meldungen nicht vorsätzlich angefahren, sondern sei abgelenkt gewesen und habe ihn deshalb erfasst. „Es war ein ganz normaler Verkehrsunfall“, so der Polizeisprecher. „Alles andere wäre zeitlich nicht möglich gewesen. Der Autofahrer konnte von der Tat nichts wissen.“

Hätte der Autofahrer tatsächlich unter Vorsatz mit seinem Auto auf den 21-jährigen mutmaßlichen Täter zugehalten, hätte man wegen des gefährlichen Eingriffs in den Straßenverkehr oder gar wegen versuchter Tötung ermittelt, so der Polizeisprecher.
http://www.stuttgarter-nachrichten....e148eb8367.html

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Elektroschockhalsbänder die auf Allahu Akbar und die Nähe von kecken blonden Mädels reagieren.

Kann man ein neuronales Netz auf Blondinenerkennung trainieren? Sind Informatiker im thread die sich da auskennen?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

So, turns out our Amokläufer got his weapon from the darknet, and some of the smarter politicians have called for greater scrutiny. So that's something, at least.

But where the hell do these people get their explosive vests from? If there's anything readily apparent from the last few attacks, it's that they're anything but professional. Do they all just google for bomb construction kits and build it with supplies from the hardware store + the kitchen + reject fireworks? It's apparently difficult enough that other recent attackers couldn't pull it off, but it's insane people can still do this.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Mithaldu posted:

There are more broad strokes in that the further south you go, the weirder the language becomes, with Bavaria being the Hochburg of strange talk, ...

What? Bavarian is at least recognizable as a german dialect. Ever heard someone from northern Germany speak Platt?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Torquemadras posted:

So, turns out our Amokläufer got his weapon from the darknet, and some of the smarter politicians have called for greater scrutiny. So that's something, at least.

But where the hell do these people get their explosive vests from? If there's anything readily apparent from the last few attacks, it's that they're anything but professional. Do they all just google for bomb construction kits and build it with supplies from the hardware store + the kitchen + reject fireworks? It's apparently difficult enough that other recent attackers couldn't pull it off, but it's insane people can still do this.
Anarchisten-Handbuch, etc.

Das Butterbrot posted:

What? Bavarian is at least recognizable as a german dialect. Ever heard someone from northern Germany speak Platt?
The difference is that platt is dead. I come from Stralsund and have known a few people who could speak it, but they're dead now.

--

Danke liebe Polizei...

quote:

"Mein Eindruck war, der hat sich wie in einem Computerspiel bewegt", sagte Kriminaldirektor Hermann Utz.

quote:

Der Amokläufer von München hat nach Angaben der Polizei mehrere Opfer mit Kopfschüssen getötet und sich dabei vermutlich an Killerspielen orientiert.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Mithaldu posted:

The difference is that platt is dead. I come from Stralsund and have known a few people who could speak it, but they're dead now.
Platt is comparatively dead. I hesitate to call Stralsund a big city but when you go to smaller villages the people there still speak it. It's just that there's less Platt speakers around than Bavarians.

quote:

Danke liebe Polizei...

Bet this guy's last video game was a Lucas Arts adventure back in the 15hundreds.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Mithaldu posted:

Danke liebe Polizei...

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

botany posted:

Platt is comparatively dead. I hesitate to call Stralsund a big city but when you go to smaller villages the people there still speak it. It's just that there's less Platt speakers around than Bavarians.
50k people is not a big city. :)

But yeah, there may be holdouts in the villages. Doubt they're teaching their kids platt though. There is one theater in hamburg too, i think. Theatre?

botany posted:

Bet this guy's last video game was a Lucas Arts adventure back in the 15hundreds.
But don't you see? ONLY computer games could have taught him to aim for the head! What kind of insane person would otherwise get this idea?!

He probably crouch-jumped through some windows.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Mithaldu posted:

Danke liebe Polizei...

quote:

"Mein Eindruck war, der hat sich wie in einem Computerspiel bewegt"

It's not nice to make pusthumously fun of his Gehfehler. The other pupils at school mocked him enough for this.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

Anarchisten-Handbuch, etc.

We still got some plattdütsch speakers in Hamburg and along the Niedersachsen Elbe coast, but most of them are pretty old. Some local schools are trying to teach Platt to the kids these days but I don't think it's taking.

I still remember learning the Äppel klaun and the Tüdelband songs in preschool and now people have no idea what those are :(

edit: I'm gonna play somne killerspiele tonight pray to allah I don't snap thank you.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

aphid_licker posted:

:yeah:

To get a bit more detailed:

Bavaria: God's own country. Best beer, best food, best landscape, best language, best religion, best economy, best traditional attire. The government sucks though which I suspect is due to infiltration by the dreaded Protestant
Baden-Württemberg: While the Catholics in there know how to have a good time, the Protestants have a stick rammed up their rear end all the way up to the head. Spend every second they're not cleaning the sidewalks with trying to minimise their expenses some more.
Saxony: Outside of the cities a blasted wasteland full of Nazis speaking in guttural noises they pretend are a language. The Sorbs are cool, though.
Rhineland: Outside of the Ruhr area it's Karneval 24/7 all day, every day. Wine comes from the faucet there. The Ruhr area is nothing but chimneys and coal dust and misery.
Northern Germany (coastal area): Fishermen with hosed up hats drinking Korn all day. Speak maybe one word or two per day, and when they do talk it's practically in Danish, i.e. not a language at all
Northern Germany (everywhere else): Literally this. Protestant devils conspiring to keep Bavaria down. Used to get a boner when they see, hear, feel, taste, smell or think about anything military-related, probably still do. They're all mentally deranged, probably from too little beer and because of how flat everything is up there
Everything I didn't mention: Here be lions

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Mithaldu posted:

But yeah, there may be holdouts in the villages. Doubt they're teaching their kids platt though. There is one theater in hamburg too, i think. Theatre?

Yeah that's the famous Ohnsorg Theater. They still put up plays in plattdütsch.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

quote:

Mein Eindruck war, der hat sich wie in einem Computerspiel bewegt
/

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

System Metternich posted:

Northern Germany (coastal area): Fishermen with hosed up hats drinking Korn all day. Speak maybe one word or two per day, and when they do talk it's practically in Danish, i.e. not a language at all

That's scarily accurate, for the record. Well, other than the hats. Most fishermen don't wear hats other than the occasional Wollmütze, which is basically a beanie.

az
Dec 2, 2005

botany posted:

Yeah that's the famous Ohnsorg Theater. They still put up plays in plattdütsch.

I'm gonna go there soon but to see Jasmin "Blümchen" Wagner. It's gonna be either the best thing or the worst thing I'm not sure yet.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

botany posted:

That's scarily accurate, for the record. Well, other than the hats. Most fishermen don't wear hats other than the occasional Wollmütze, which is basically a beanie.

I was thinking of this one :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az
Dec 2, 2005

System Metternich posted:

too little beer and because

Ha Ha Ha oh boy, you're cordially invited to a night out on the Kiez min jong.