Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Should have had an ability that lets you snag multiple pieces of loot per steal instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

FeyerbrandX posted:

About Mug, every other game in the series that used it should have been a full power attack, because the main goal is "do damage and try to get one thing out of the jerk", plus maybe bypass a particularly fowl weapon proc or two.

This game, with the focus on stealing multiple pieces of loot per enemy means that you don't want to rip the enemies throat out after one or two attacks. So death by a thousand tiny little cuts isn't a bad thing. But yeah, kinda stupid waste of ability gems to use. Full powered Mug wouldn't make the game easier, it'd make it harder since you'd need to deal with killing enemies before you get all their loot. And that'd be a bad thing when we have The Perfect Game guide to follow.

They should have had two levels of it. Like...Muh and Mug 2 or something. One lets you do something like half or quarter damage when you steal, and the other allows full damage. That way you could switch it up based on playstyle and what you were facing instead of being stuck with a useless waste.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
Best part about the Long form of Summon animations:

In this FF title, unlike the previous 3 - Regen keeps working throughout the attack. I've ended up coming back from the brink of defeat in at least a few boss fights, thanks to this feature.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Fossil Roo is kind of the most obtuse and frustrating puzzle-area in the game in general, with other areas being less annoying, largely because they don't have the gargants to ride. Also, Zidane and Dagger could ride the gargant, and maybe Vivi, but I fail to see how they got Quina around on those things.

Still, I have the solution to the place memorized. I've played this game too many times.

Mug's damage is sadly stupidly weak. I always found better uses for my support crystals.

Dagger's Trance, Eidolon, is actually pretty drat handy, once you start getting enough gems to make summoning worthwhile. It'd be handier if it was triggered instead of being wasted most of the time, though...

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Mug certainly isn't a game breaker, but it's nice for random battles to have Zidane contribute a bit of damage while he's lifting items. I find it a good way to let him add in a bit of damage through random battles while you're building up for a certain 3rd disc skill and/or sidequest.

Or at least that would be the case, if Mug didn't cost 3 precious gems (out of maybe 20-25 that Zidane has at that point) that's almost always better used on another skill. :v:

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

FeyerbrandX posted:

About Mug, every other game in the series that used it should have been a full power attack, because the main goal is "do damage and try to get one thing out of the jerk", plus maybe bypass a particularly fowl weapon proc or two.

This game, with the focus on stealing multiple pieces of loot per enemy means that you don't want to rip the enemies throat out after one or two attacks. So death by a thousand tiny little cuts isn't a bad thing. But yeah, kinda stupid waste of ability gems to use. Full powered Mug wouldn't make the game easier, it'd make it harder since you'd need to deal with killing enemies before you get all their loot. And that'd be a bad thing when we have The Perfect Game guide to follow.

I think what might have worked is if, instead of replacing Steal with Mug, it replaced Attack with Mug a la FFVIII, but let you keep Steal.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Heeeeere's Lani!

I don't know if she's supposed to be good at magic or good at attacking, considering her big weapon. It always feels like magic is more deadly though, you know?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I always felt that Lani's shirt was the hardest worker in the game. Japanese art directors have weird ideas about the female form.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Also, I still love that Zidane's reaction to a clearly-suspicious female is to hit on her (either by instinct or as a mental fallback while he processes What The gently caress Is Happening), and that Dagger has to rein him in. In any other game, the female lead might come off as being a little jealous, but here Dagger's clearly just annoyed that she has to make him focus on the task at hand. They're like an old married couple and it's adorable.

And before any of you fellow FF9 veterans say anything, keep it under your hats. It can wait for a few updates.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I will say this for Lani: somehow she knew we were coming exactly this way and lay in wait. How the heck did she pull that off?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Alxprit posted:

Heeeeere's Lani!

I don't know if she's supposed to be good at magic or good at attacking, considering her big weapon. It always feels like magic is more deadly though, you know?

Robes make the mages (the squishies) weak to fire magic and they otherwise spend time in the back row. That's not saying she doesn't hit hard with the axe, enough to seriously hurt Zidane, but the targeted Fira is the real danger to Vivi/Dagger.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Pesky Splinter posted:

Here's the model of Dagger's Trance:

It's not a good look.

Rydia disagrees.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 25, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Glazius posted:

I will say this for Lani: somehow she knew we were coming exactly this way and lay in wait. How the heck did she pull that off?

Process of Elimination, much like our party. Only she had a heard start what with the whole Lindblum thing.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Plavski posted:

I always felt that Lani's shirt was the hardest worker in the game. Japanese art directors have weird ideas about the female form.

I'm sure it was, until they found her non-union Mexican equivalent, which was some sort of hair scrunchee rather than a shirt.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Plavski posted:

You can kinda tell she doesn't really give a poo poo how she dresses since the thing has holes in it too. I get the vibe she doesn't really care about anything besides her job.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Oh, God, I always got rid of my spare summoning gems. No wonder summons never did crap for me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Quick note about Lani:

Her weapon is a bardiche, technically. It was a weapon used in combination with firearms in Russia - the large weapon could be used to support the gun while firing. Maybe that's why she spends most of her time spamming magic?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Her weapon is a bardiche, technically.

I believe you mean a Berdysh.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
No amount of screenshots will ever convey how much I hate the goddamn annoying slog of Fossil Roo. It's one of two dungeons where my replays tend to die.

The music before the chase sequence is pretty cool though, and I think I'd like this section a little better if we got to keep listening to this instead of the recycled Gargan Roo theme :sigh:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Someone mentioned Lani will actually change her tactics based on Scan results?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've never seen her change anything significantly. Her "tactics" are pretty much: whale on Dagger until she dies, then whale on Vivi until he dies.

One interesting thing about scan, though, is that if she uses it on someone with a robe equipped, it will show that they have a fire weakness. All robes impart a fire weakness, but the game doesn't tell you this at all.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Another interesting thing about Lani's AI is that she has a temper. If someone whacks her with their weapon, she gets pissed at them (with a vocal cue of something like "What do you think you're doing!?") and immediately starts focusing her attacks on that person, at least temporarily (I think she'll go back to Dagger after a while).

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Also, a little fun fact. If you gameshark in a Peridot or any of the items for Daggers missing summons on Disc 1, they all have a correspondingly huge MP cost attached. I think it 2-3 times the normal amount.

Actually, Dagger has all her summons (except Ramuh, because that one's totally new to her, and another one) from the very start of the game - but as you mention, they all have gigantic MP costs that you have no hope of using by the time you get there. No gamesharking required (but it's interesting to note that Ramuh has his MP cost multiplied as well).

When she has the Eidolons extracted out of her, she really does lose those abilities. When you get them back by getting more gems back, the MP costs are a lot more sane - possibly her coming to terms with her summoning powers?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

bewilderment posted:

Actually, Dagger has all her summons (except Ramuh, because that one's totally new to her, and another one) from the very start of the game - but as you mention, they all have gigantic MP costs that you have no hope of using by the time you get there. No gamesharking required (but it's interesting to note that Ramuh has his MP cost multiplied as well).

When she has the Eidolons extracted out of her, she really does lose those abilities. When you get them back by getting more gems back, the MP costs are a lot more sane - possibly her coming to terms with her summoning powers?

The game actually does somewhat explain the high MP costs for her Summons at the start of the game, but it's from a seemingly unimportant blink-and-you'll-miss-it line a bit later on in the disc.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
That detail is one of those relatively minor things that is so cool. You're seeing how she has all this power already and you're really excited to use the spells. Then they get taken away from her and you actually sort of feel her loss. When you get them back it's more important because you've already been excited for them. Really clever design, imo. It smacks of Metroidvania, but not in an obnoxious *wink wink* way. It feels part of the narrative.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's not the first time SE has done 'this character can't do this thing because story' - a character in VIII couldn't do their Limit because something they needed wasn't there, but then they got new Limits anyway because storyline.

Keeping it vague because there's an ongoing VIII LP - Rinoa can't use Angelo on the Ragnarok because her dog didn't go into space.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Plavski posted:

I think it's her spine.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Bufuman posted:

The game actually does somewhat explain the high MP costs for her Summons at the start of the game, but it's from a seemingly unimportant blink-and-you'll-miss-it line a bit later on in the disc.

I was always satisfied with this:

Mega64 posted:

And cause more destruction?
No... I was afraid of my summon magic, but not anymore!

The high MP cost represented her being afraid and uncomfortable with her own powers. When she gets over it, the costs become reasonable.

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Never trust anything with beady eyes and a knife. Especially if it offers hugs.

Shiki Dan posted:

Rydia disagrees.

Rydia was also working with better color coordination. Green and Gold look a lot nicer together than lemon yellow and lilac.

Also, now that I think about it - Final Fantasy loves girls in leotards; especially for the designs in the ones prior to 7.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
To be fair Rydia lives in a place surrounded by magma. I'd wanna wear as little clothing as possible too

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

To be fair Rydia lives in a place surrounded by magma. I'd wanna wear as little clothing as possible too

Among beings who'se normal fashion statement is 'whatever the heck is on my back, even if it's just scales/feathers/amorphous blobbage.'

The main problem with Dagger is that Esper-Pink skin doesn't look good on her. (Compare Zidane, who pulls it off wonderfully.)

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

bluerocker posted:

Rydia was also working with better color coordination. Green and Gold look a lot nicer together than lemon yellow and lilac.

Also, now that I think about it - Final Fantasy loves girls in leotards; especially for the designs in the ones prior to 7.

So, Yoshitaka Amano loves girls in leotards.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Senior Woodchuck posted:

So, Yoshitaka Amano loves girls in leotards.

Amano loves everyone in form fitting clothing.

See Cecil's Skin tight armor:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Amano loves everyone in form fitting clothing.

See Cecil's Skin tight armor:

Pretty sure Dark Knight armor literally fuses with your skin in FF4's case, as another aspect of becoming a Dark Knight being a big deal and all.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fine then: Kain.

Who is supposed to be wearing heavy armor.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Fine then: Kain.

Who is supposed to be wearing heavy armor.

Oh, didn't you know? Dragoons have to wear magically-fused to their skin armor, donchaknow? How else are they expected to jump fifty bazillion feet into the air? ;)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Rydia's leotard has to be fused to her skin in order to act as a magical conductor for summoning.

Edge's cape has to be fused to his skin for maximum distance when ninja-jumping.

Cid's goggles have to be fused to his skin because how else are you going to get unwitting accomplices to upgrade an airship to do the thing it needs to do? (Also it helps shape the blast of the inevitable self-sacrificing explosion for maximum mountain-collapsing effect.)

Skin-fusing: it's the way it's gotta be done :colbert:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Your ideas are skintriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

They weren't afraid to come up with insane ideas in the early games.

Or the later games.

Or the middle games.

All of the games have insane ideas is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Spira takes the cake for bad outfits. Someone send Tim Gunn, stat

• Locked thread