Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

HJE-Cobra posted:

Okay I do have to correct one thing that you seem to have as a misconception, the original Ecto-1 was also a hearse

The 1959 Cadillac commercial chassis was used as both ambulance AND hearse

Those are hard as hell to find because of Ghostbusters. I'd bet the same thing is going to happen to the '84-85 Cadillac they use in GB16 (which looks almost exactly like the hearse I owned in high school) are going to be a pain in the rear end to get in the next couple of years.

Edit: Top of the page, here's a look at some more info on 1959 Cadillac commercial chassis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That doesn't really help. It was outfitted as an ambulance and either way it just throws another element into the muddled mix that the original movie struggles with with some of the style being as if they are fantasy firemen and some being as if they are fantasy bug exterminators. I mean it's fine and the movie isn't harmed by the indecision but the ecto-1 in the new movie exists more smoothly in the world than the ecto-1 in the original where it's just sort of a thing they just make because movies in the 80s everyone just had a branded car.

Hearses were frequently used as ambulances until the late 70s because they were the only vehicles around that could transport patients lying down.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I would have enjoyed a scene where the Ghostbusters attempt to get on the subway and are subsequently thrown off for carrying around enormous, humming, metal backpacks with guns attached, but the elevator scene at the Sedgewick accomplishes about as much. They have a fancy car because nobody in their right mind would allow three nerds with proton packs onto public transportation.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neurolimal posted:

It gives me the same unease as when the new Star Trek films made Starfleet more militaristic than intellectual

I take it you haven't seen the new Star Trek yet. :v:

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
In preparation for the new movie's release next month, my Japanese friend watched the original Ghostbusters for the first time. Here is her review:

quote:

I'm watching Ghostbusters 👻👻
If it was really scary , I might not be able to go to the toilet tonight 😫
It isn't scary !! It's fanny and quite interesting !!
I like Marshmallow ghost 😋✨
Delicious ghost. 👻

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Delicious Ghost is what I want on my tombstone.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Delicious Ghost is what I want on my tombstone.

Tombstone Pizza should have made a Marshmallow and Green Olives pizza to celebrate the TMNT/GB crossover comic.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
God drat i want to gently caress your friend. Your delicious friend.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I take it you haven't seen the new Star Trek yet. :v:

Beyond? Not yet.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Anybody have the Xbox 360 Ghostbusters game? My gamertag is Wacky Bat, and I want to catch some ghosts.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

rear end Catchcum posted:

God drat i want to gently caress your friend. Your delicious friend.

Cool

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

xezton posted:

Much like the '84 proton pack design reflects Egon's clean function-over-form personality, the new gear certainly reflects Holtzmann's wild eccentricity.

I can agree with that, but I think it"s also symptomatic of deeper issues with a movie that was supposed to empower girls to seek their place in technical and sciency professions. While the original film was in a way a gritty and reasonably grounded picture about having a passion and struggling to realize it despite naysayers, with lots of characterization and mundane details to support its thesis without embellishing the reality of running a small business more than a comedy about ghosts would require...

... the 2016 GB has none of that, and instead reduces the whole premise to a bunch of quirky characters doing quirky and wild things! It carries no message of love towards the upstart ethos of hard work and grit that was integral to the Ghostbusters image. It empowers to nothing, the characters may as well have been elven warriors or something, their proton packs are now just marketable props rather than symbols of the ingenuity borne of ramshackle conditions with which the initially ridiculed Ghostbusters overcame the odds.

It's like where the original encouraged kids to try their luck in engineering, or science, even as a hobby, the new movie is what, encouraging them to be visual designers for a hollywood studio?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I think that's the biggest problem, and it might be symptomatic of comedies these days: there are no characters in GB 2016, only caricatures.

I watched it again last night, and you know what, it is enjoyable, and I'm excited for the sequel. The audience here in Hong Kong loving loved it, sold out, laughing loudly and clapping at a lot of the jokes.

One thing I really noticed this time was how bad Bill Murray's segment was. Noticeable greenscreen, he's not interacting with the GBs at all. So obviously filmed separately. Not one drat joke from him at all. It's like why even bother?

But anyway, caricatures. The lot of them. Kevin is literally so retarded he might as well be called Peter Griffin. Holztmann, who I do like, exists only to create gear and cut away to so she can do a funny face. Her interactions with the other GBs are nearly non existent. I'd have a very hard time describing Abby or Erin to you as people.

Actually the most believable character is the villain. I was kinda hoping he was serving some evil deity or what not, but what we got was fine.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Alan_Shore posted:

One thing I really noticed this time was how bad Bill Murray's segment was. Noticeable greenscreen, he's not interacting with the GBs at all. So obviously filmed separately. Not one drat joke from him at all. It's like why even bother?

to not get sued

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan_Shore posted:

I'd have a very hard time describing Abby or Erin to you as people.

I guess that means the movie fails the Plinkett test?

But according to this random image I saw on Facebook it also passes all these other tests:

Man, I remember when movies didn't have to pass all these tests in order to be entertaining. :smith:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I never understand why Mako Mori is considered a feminist character. She enters the tournament because whitebread lead wants her to, she gets to pilot a jaeger because her dad says she can, and they cut her out of the final attack because reasons.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I never understand why Mako Mori is considered a feminist character. She enters the tournament because whitebread lead wants her to, she gets to pilot a jaeger because her dad says she can, and they cut her out of the final attack because reasons.

Ah ha ha ha ha, I'd never heard of it myself so I looked it up and someone literally invented it because Pacific Rim failed the Bechdel test (it's three named female characters never talk to each other at all) but they thought it had some merit as a feminist text so they had to think up a new test it could pass. :v:

http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Mako_Mori_test

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

WAR FOOT posted:

to not get sued

Why? Bill looks like he'd rather be anywhere else.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ah ha ha ha ha, I'd never heard of it myself so I looked it up and someone literally invented it because Pacific Rim failed the Bechdel test (it's three named female characters never talk to each other at all) but they thought it had some merit as a feminist text so they had to think up a new test it could pass. :v:

http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Mako_Mori_test

Haha, that is WONDERFUL

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Alan_Shore posted:

I think that's the biggest problem, and it might be symptomatic of comedies these days: there are no characters in GB 2016, only caricatures.

I watched it again last night, and you know what, it is enjoyable, and I'm excited for the sequel. The audience here in Hong Kong loving loved it, sold out, laughing loudly and clapping at a lot of the jokes.

But anyway, caricatures. The lot of them. Kevin is literally so retarded he might as well be called Peter Griffin. Holztmann, who I do like, exists only to create gear and cut away to so she can do a funny face. Her interactions with the other GBs are nearly non existent. I'd have a very hard time describing Abby or Erin to you as people.

Actually the most believable character is the villain. I was kinda hoping he was serving some evil deity or what not, but what we got was fine.

The Real Reason behind all the remakes (according to Comic Book Girl 19):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOttfoJ4ygU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Alan_Shore posted:

The onion had a great article about how media all peaked at the point the reader was 15 and comedies these days are just so silly and not like they used to be. It's how you get people talking about the nuanced physical comedy of adam sandler movies.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

Dude, don't blue-ball me. If you're going to pull random quotes from /reddit at least have the decency to cite the thread.

Though I like the added detail of "Well these MAN HATERS suck I mean c'mon they didn't even WANT any COCK!"

I think that was Superstar! or It's Pat!

Are people really upset about the nutshot at the end? I'm expecting an ineffectual aim at his arms or something and then instead we get the shot, followed by the joke. Of course that's where you'd aim.
I haven't seen any reddit reviews of this movie. As for pulling random poo poo, Superstar's reported production budget was around $34 million.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 25, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

FunkyAl posted:

Perhaps the biggest clue that the movie thinks men are bumbling incompetents is the character of Paul Feig, and his trademark inability to stick the camera anywhere that a person with eyes might find interesting

Got to agree. All the gender wars talks distracts from discussing that it is not a well shot movie.

Feig also has an inability to come up with memorable lines. The most memorable thing from this movie was the Mike Hat joke and that's because it was so disconnected from everything else and played like an ad lib scene with the actors breaking character.

And in keeping with the Paul Feig Is A Hack Premise, that joke was just a variation of the ancient "Has anyone seen Mike Hunt?" gag in Porkies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWiKmyzDJx8

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The onion had a great article about how media all peaked at the point the reader was 15 and comedies these days are just so silly and not like they used to be. It's how you get people talking about the nuanced physical comedy of adam sandler movies.

If you ever think that any movie is, was or will be better than GB2016, it's merely your mind playing tricks on you. Drink some more Ectocooler to relieve the symptoms.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Electromax posted:

Who were the great male people in the first 2? Moranis was a frightened goof, rear end in a top hat EPA moron, condescending rear end in a top hat mayor, creepy weirdo loner artist, Vigo, angry college student, rear end in a top hat tightwad hotelier, rear end in a top hat judge.

Also at the end Venkman says grab your stick and make it hard so we can show this prehistoric bitch how we do things downtown, to save his love interest who was turned into a literal bitch, but then gozer goes all gelatinous and it's awesome

Thanks for helping make my point. The original GB team were depicted in positive light to balance the male antagonists. In this new iteration all the men are antagonists. The only male to help the women is the one Patty gets the hearse from and we don't see him on scr33n until the end when he is upset with her

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 25, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

None of the dudes who ask the GB for help in '16 are antagonists, except the one guy yells at them for breaking stuff briefly

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Haha well point made, but I love recent comedies like 21 Jump Street. In fact, that's a great comedy that has characters, not caricatures. The dynamic and relationship between Hill and Taintyum is wonderful and elevates an already hilarious movie. Someone brought up Hangover earlier, and the first one is funny and even Alan mostly avoids being a crazy character that Holtzmann ends up being.

And once again, this is just a badly directed movie. Boring shots, bad editing, even the score is completely forgettable. The original GB score is phenomenal! So weird and ethereal and un-Hollywood, really drives the point home that this movie you're watching is about some goddamn ghosts!

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
It's not surprising, really. Of course you talk about good comedies (Or films on a whole) you saw in the past. There were equally lovely films coming out then, too, but you either don't remember them or don't use them as a point of reference.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

What were some poo poo 80s comedies?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Start with one of the very worst, Porky's Revenge.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Leonard Part 6, probably every Ski Academy movie or literally any given Porky's cash-in, Caddyshack II and probably other sequels to classic comedies, Howard the Duck...

It's hard to list them all because flops are flops because nobody's seen or heard of them. It's why over time decades start to look better because the lovely movies get buried and only people who seek out trash movies watch them.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Most of the police academy movies?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Ghostbusters 2

Every Vacation movie after European Vacation.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Jonas Albrecht posted:

That whole 80s genre where men had to raise children or be take care of the house to disastrous results.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Caddyshack 2 is a joke and not the kind you laugh at.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Caddyshack 2 is a joke and not the kind you laugh at.

The wikipedia article is pretty great. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caddyshack_II

Apparently Rodney Dangerfield was one of the driving forces behind getting Ramis to co-write a sequel, and even he ended up pulling out of the project, after calling for a bunch of rewrites, when he realized how much of a shitshow it was.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The funniest thing about it is what a whore Chevy Chase is.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cinema Discusso > Ghostbusters: Delicious ghost

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It's not really shocking to say that most things are awful and you only remember the good stuff. Like of course you don't remember the awful 80s comedies, in the same way we (hopefully) won't remember Meet the Spartans or Jack and Jill.

We will remember Happy Gilmore though, that movie must have some miracle enchantment on it because I can watch it again and again.

Anyway how dare you even joke about GB 2 being a bad comedy. Everything you are doing is bad, I vant you to know this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's a whoooooole bunch of obscure 80s comedies like Bad Medicine, Touch and Go, Jocks, Campus Man, Nice Girls Don't Explode, The Princess Academy and The Wrong Guys which I've never seen but which I'm sure were perfectly awful.

• Locked thread