Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Codependent Poster posted:

Luke will also probably chill out more once he starts hanging out with Danny.

Their friendship is what I'm looking forward to the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well I liked his fighty bits in JJ a lot so more of that will be nice. Brick Shithouse Smashes Ten Thousand Mooks is always fun to watch. On that note, now I want a Marvel Mosou game. drat it.

e: also I'd like to know more about his character because he seemed pretty interesting in ways other than punching bad guys

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

X-O posted:

Just stumbled across a new thread title I think.

https://twitter.com/gdanielholloway/status/756296683747631104

:vince:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

HIJK posted:

Their friendship is what I'm looking forward to the most.

I wonder if they'll even have an established relationship, considering that Iron Fist's premise seems to be partially "Who the gently caress is Danny Rand?".

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

jivjov posted:

Am I the only one that finds "The world is ready for a bulletproof black man" to be INCREDIBLY tone-deaf in light of recent events?

I think it's the exact opposite of tone-deaf.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, her and Luke both never had to learn to actually fight on account of being way more super powered than anyone they throw down with.

Luke didn't get super powers until he was in prison, so he should have at least a basic idea of how to fight.

I do really love the annoyed exasperation he fights with though. He's so tired of this poo poo, why don't people get the hint when the bullets are bouncing off him?

notthegoatseguy posted:

I wonder if they'll even have an established relationship, considering that Iron Fist's premise seems to be partially "Who the gently caress is Danny Rand?".

You gotta mistakenly get into a fight with a dude who you think is a bad guy, then realize you're both on the same side, before you become best buddies. That's Comics 101, son.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe your moms have the same name.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

Holy crap.... and Sugar Bates playing Wise Black Man again. IN!

Now I wanna see Lucas Hood with powers.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Gyges posted:

Luke didn't get super powers until he was in prison, so he should have at least a basic idea of how to fight.

I feel like he was wrongfully convicted / set up, but I was never into his comics enough to say for sure.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He was set-up. He'd still have had to learn how to fight.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh, yeah he'd have learned in prison. :doh:

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Capn Beeb posted:

Now I wanna see Lucas Hood with powers.

I would watch this.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CommaToes posted:

Isn't Luke Cage a bit more jovial than he's shown in the trailer? Or am I mistaken and he's actually as dour as he's portrayed in these shows?

I always thought he had a bit of banter to him in the comics.

Someone please post the 'Luke Cage hunts Dr. Doom down for his 200$' comic.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

moths posted:

I feel like he was wrongfully convicted / set up, but I was never into his comics enough to say for sure.

Luke grew up in a gang and was in and out of juvie through his teens. Then he tried to go straight, but his best friend was still in the gang. His friend rose through the ranks, but is jumped by a rival gang, which Luke saves him from. His friend's girlfriend then breaks up with him because of the danger and Luke's friend blames him for it, so he plants heroin in Luke's apartment and calls the cops. In prison Luke is frequently in fights and makes lots of escape attempts, so Luke is transferred to a super-max type prison. His fights with one of the guards at the prison is what leads to the experiment that gives him super powers. A scientist is trying out some Super Soldier tests on Luke, and leaves Luke unattended for a little bit and the guard fucks with the controls in an attempt to kill or really gently caress up Luke. Instead it gives him super powers, which he uses to escape prison.

That's what I remember of his back story. Luke was always a tough son of a bitch who could kick some rear end, it's just that now he's almost invulnerable and has super strength.

RareAcumen posted:

Someone please post the 'Luke Cage hunts Dr. Doom down for his 200$' comic.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Goddammit Fox needs to part with the FF rights so we can get that as a one-shot after Infinity War.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Holy poo poo, Luke Cage is the Platonic shape of the baddest dude.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Scyantific posted:

Goddammit Fox needs to part with the FF rights so we can get that as a one-shot after Infinity War.

It'd be the best DVD extra ever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hey thanks.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gyges posted:

Luke grew up in a gang and was in and out of juvie through his teens. Then he tried to go straight, but his best friend was still in the gang. His friend rose through the ranks, but is jumped by a rival gang, which Luke saves him from. His friend's girlfriend then breaks up with him because of the danger and Luke's friend blames him for it, so he plants heroin in Luke's apartment and calls the cops. In prison Luke is frequently in fights and makes lots of escape attempts, so Luke is transferred to a super-max type prison. His fights with one of the guards at the prison is what leads to the experiment that gives him super powers. A scientist is trying out some Super Soldier tests on Luke, and leaves Luke unattended for a little bit and the guard fucks with the controls in an attempt to kill or really gently caress up Luke. Instead it gives him super powers, which he uses to escape prison.

I hope they take the opportunity of a new universe to rejigger his origins/backstory, at least a bit, since I feel him being in a gang as a youth but wanting to go straight without doing anything of note is a waste of him being in a gang at all. Either just have him resist being in a gang full stop or maybe grow up somewhere there is none or else have him do something worth going to jail for himself and decide to make more of himself after going to jail instead of being good but set up to go to jail. Ideally I'd love to see him modeled on someone like Stanley Williams, doing bad stuff in his youth for what seem like good reasons (setting up a gang to protect himself and his neighbors in Williams case) and then deciding to become a better person and inspiring people after going to jail and/or getting powers and abusing them in Luke's case - but you'd need to tell that story in full instead of as backstory to make it worthwhile and it's unlikely since he's only deciding to maybe be a hero now, long after he obviously got his powers even if you thought it could be interesting purely as backstory.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

tsob posted:

I hope they take the opportunity of a new universe to rejigger his origins/backstory, at least a bit, since I feel him being in a gang as a youth but wanting to go straight without doing anything of note is a waste of him being in a gang at all. Either just have him resist being in a gang full stop or maybe grow up somewhere there is none or else have him do something worth going to jail for himself and decide to make more of himself after going to jail instead of being good but set up to go to jail. Ideally I'd love to see him modeled on someone like Stanley Williams, doing bad stuff in his youth for what seem like good reasons (setting up a gang to protect himself and his neighbors in Williams case) and then deciding to become a better person and inspiring people after going to jail and/or getting powers and abusing them in Luke's case - but you'd need to tell that story in full instead of as backstory to make it worthwhile and it's unlikely since he's only deciding to maybe be a hero now, long after he obviously got his powers even if you thought it could be interesting purely as backstory.

Given the present political climate I wouldn't be surprised if they made Cage's powers come from a Tuskegee experiment sort of thing.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

It was strongly suggested in Jessica Jones that Luke was part of those experiments on kids that his wife found and hid, that also included Kilgrave. Different places, lots of different kids.

Wasn't that the whole connection between Kilgrave and Luke's wife, and why she was killed?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Right the weird conspiracy that gave out the nuke pills too that I cannot remember the name of

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They're the ones that gave Jessica her powers too. They're paid all her medical bills and were hinted at helping set up the adoption.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Right the weird conspiracy that gave out the nuke pills too that I cannot remember the name of

IGH we don't know what that stands for yet.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Zythrst posted:

IGH we don't know what that stands for yet.

inhuman growth hormone I bet

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Inventing Grittier Heroes. They're an organization that got tired of superheroes only dealing with world-level threats and decided to give powers to people with darker backstories that would stick around their neighborhoods and fight crime.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ShakeZula posted:

Inventing Grittier Heroes. They're an organization that got tired of superheroes only dealing with world-level threats and decided to give powers to people with darker backstories that would stick around their neighborhoods and fight crime.

Which ironically leaves the Punisher as their idea working a bit too well with no IGH involvement needed.

I really hope Bernthal gets involved in the Defenders somehow, even if not as one of the main heroes. Just have Matt say "Hey, I know a guy who can help with this horde of undead ninjas," and a couple of scenes later we have Frank Castle mowing down ninjas with a minigun.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cythereal posted:

Which ironically leaves the Punisher as their idea working a bit too well with no IGH involvement needed.

I really hope Bernthal gets involved in the Defenders somehow, even if not as one of the main heroes. Just have Matt say "Hey, I know a guy who can help with this horde of undead ninjas," and a couple of scenes later we have Frank Castle mowing down ninjas with a minigun.

The Defenders will be surrounded, with hope all but gone. Then one of the guys surrounding them's head goes back, and to the left. Then another. Then Matt will turn and "see" Castle on a water tower about 6 block away. Matt will return the thumbs up Castle gives him and say, "Man, I'm glad I called that guy."

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

jivjov posted:

Am I the only one that finds "The world is ready for a bulletproof black man" to be INCREDIBLY tone-deaf in light of recent events?

Wow if you don't see that this will lead to the further militarization of police now that blacks might be bulletproof just wow.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

X-O posted:

Just stumbled across a new thread title I think.

https://twitter.com/gdanielholloway/status/756296683747631104

We already have one. His name is Black Panther.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Black Panther isn't bulletproof as far as I know. His suit is, but he isn't.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Y'know guys there is actually very little iron in the iron man suit, i mean it's really more like titanium cermaic man furthermo-

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Black Panther was Prince and is now a King; just another elitist. What does he know about the average black life? While he's living in his techo-jungle drinking from his vibranium wine flute, the rest of use are living here in the real jungle made of concrete!

"Oh my suit is bulletproof!", you say, "Bitch, you can afford it, me, all i have is my skin."

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
drat that Luke Cage trailer brings back memories

That car door might actually be softer than Luke's fists.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

drat that Luke Cage trailer brings back memories

That car door might actually be softer than Luke's fists.

Wow, this looks insanely bad rear end.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Xealot posted:

You're describing the plot of M.A.N.T.I.S..
The final episode involved the protagonist being killed while fighting an invisible dinosaur. That show doesn't get enough love.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

tsob posted:

After reading the Stanley Williams wiki page, which portrayed his rise like an increasingly harder fighting game, I would love to read something along those lines about the young life of Luke Cage, just beating up a long line of badasses in one on one battles to take over their gangs.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Shageletic posted:

After reading the Stanley Williams wiki page, which portrayed his rise like an increasingly harder fighting game, I would love to read something along those lines about the young life of Luke Cage, just beating up a long line of badasses in one on one battles to take over their gangs.

That's pretty much the plot of the comic I posted a panel from, Kongoh Bancho

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
LOL, they actually found a way to work the tiara in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
New trailer. Looks rad as hell.

http://youtu.be/ytkjQvSk2VA