Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Remember to research stone cutting so you can save steel for important uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

damnfan posted:

If you have the gardening mod you can grow steel leaf plants to smelt down for more steel.

that makes zero sense

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Baloogan posted:

that makes zero sense

It extracts steel from the ground and stores it in the leaves.

Makes more sense than Rice growing in 2 days.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

the moose posted:

So what happens when you start running out of steel and other minerals. Im on a mountain desert map and i used up all the vissible steel already. Starting to mine in wards hopping to just find some. But what heppens when that is used up am i screwed? Im playing with the chill narrator just building up my colony. Almost to second fall.

Make wood and devilstrand stuff, sell it to traders in return for more metal.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
gah you should only be able to have one steel crop till the soil is depleated this videgame is a fraud

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

I made a colony and rolled up three women and a warg. One of them is Abrasive. Nearly immediately after landing, before I even unforbid steel and wood, two of them get into a social fight. It usually ends with bruise, but this time one of the colonists hits the head, killing her Abrasive pal immediately.

It turned out that the warg was bonded to her. When the animal owner dies, it gets insane. The warg immediately went into murderous rampage, incapacitating the murderer and the last remaining girl. They died two days later from blood loss and infection, not having anyone to rescue them and put into bed.

The most unlucky colony ever.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Playing out my first game and I used all my steel for walls and doors because I didn't know any better. :(

At least I don't have to worry about a fire burning down my settlement.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Shab posted:

Playing out my first game and I used all my steel for walls and doors because I didn't know any better. :(

At least I don't have to worry about a fire burning down my settlement.

Ha ha ha, he thinks steel is fireproof :smug:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MadJackMcJack posted:

That's was I was thinking too lol.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Last night I had a colony that I was just trying to stabilize through winter survive what was basically four consecutive raids, including two with three times more raiders than I have colonists because they were tribal and one seige that was armed to the teeth with long range weapons, AND a poison ship that practically landed on top of my base. Then on the first day of spring a grizzly bear attacked and killed a colonist before I could react and ate her body before I could kill it. This caused so many mood hits to her husband that he basically chain berserked and I had to kill him, which put my doctor into a daze, allowing her infections (developed because she was of course in the room treating when the guy berserked) to progress to the point where she was going to die as well. Her death sent everyone else into a state of depression and shortly after everyone had either starved or bled out because they didn't have enough time to take care of themselves/get treated before going back into a daze.

GOTY

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
I really wish the game did a better job of explaining the cover mechanics, but alpha and all that so I get it. It took me a few failed colonies to figure out you could make bunkers with granite walls that provide infinitely more protection to your shooters than just stacking them behind sandbags. Also if you put roofs over your bunkers, you get a defense bonus for being in the dark while your enemy is typically in light.

I have a question regarding shooting skill and guns. Typically I have a front line fortification that consists of granite bunkers supported by sandbags that's manned with turrets and pawns using Charge or Assault rifles. I also try to have snipers out behind the front lines on the flanks. Is it better to have your high skill (10+) shooters using the charge rifles up close or sniper rifles from afar? Same question for low skill (5 or less) shooters. Sometimes I need all hands on deck so even 0 skill shooters have to grab a gun and fight, so I usually assign them shotguns or frag grenades for close range. No matter who equips which weapon, the damage and accuracy stats for that weapon don't change so I can't really tell how much or how little shooting skill affects combat.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

MadJackMcJack posted:

this game :negative:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I don't think any material is fireproof in Rimworld, maybe plasteel?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Flesh Forge posted:

Stone

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

You can see that kind of stuff here http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Structure

As you can see, granite is the best if you can get it, but any stone is tougher then steel and wood and completely fireproof. Sure, plasteel and uranium is tougher, but it would also be ruinously expensive.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

Stone is completely fireproof, steel is fire resistant but will slowly burn to death.

It's a bit silly but stone is basically the 100% best structural material for almost any application. It's tougher than steel, more plentiful, and harder to destroy with fire, only real downside is that it takes a long time to work.

Oh and doors, doors are better made out of something like plasteel because stone doors open super slow. Alternatively, if you are making doors just to separate rooms and not keep people out, then wood is better because wood gets a bonus to door open speed.

Yes "door open speed" is a material stat in this game I was being serious when I called it Dwarf Fortress.

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.

IAmTheRad posted:

It extracts steel from the ground and stores it in the leaves.
Sounds like someone half-assed modding in Tiberium to me.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
while steelleaf and plasteelleaf may sound really OP, they grow slow as gently caress, smelt slow as gently caress, and each smeltable unit (which is like 2 plants) only gets like 4 steel. The one colony where I really decided to go all-in on it I had 4 colonists working full time to smelt my two fields and they could barely keep up with component production.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Devdisigdu posted:

Sounds like someone half-assed modding in Tiberium to me.

I like this idea. Someone needs to work on a Tiberium mod.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Roadie posted:

Make wood and devilstrand stuff, sell it to traders in return for more metal.

This only works when traders offer you metal...

Lack of consistent end game source of steel is a huge issue.

This mod adds a quarry - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=730746939

But you can only build 1 and it creates mostly 'waste' rocks that you will need to haul away. It's still by far the simplest solution I found.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
If your map happens to spawn with 0 plasteel, is there any way to get any decent amount of it other than waiting for an exotic goods trader to show up? All of what I've gotten so far has been from taking out mechanoids who showed up, but that is just a drop in the tank of what I'd like to have. Doing the power armor and charge rifle research seems like a waste because I have never had enough to make even a single power armor or charge rifle.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Khisanth Magus posted:

If your map happens to spawn with 0 plasteel, is there any way to get any decent amount of it other than waiting for an exotic goods trader to show up? All of what I've gotten so far has been from taking out mechanoids who showed up, but that is just a drop in the tank of what I'd like to have. Doing the power armor and charge rifle research seems like a waste because I have never had enough to make even a single power armor or charge rifle.

Mechanoids are a decent renewable source of it, your other option would perhaps be looking to buy a really lovely plasteel item and smelt it down, art can be deconstructed and weapons can be smelted.

It is basically the best material in the game so you will never have a lot of it in the base game.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 31, 2022

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
The UI is at least functional unlike most fame in the genre. The main thing i want is skill levels on the work tab. Also a button to tell people to stop working and have fun. Or a temporary work priority. Like tell everyone to go collect the harvest without haveing to manually change the work tab twice every time there is a big harvest.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

the moose posted:

The UI is at least functional unlike most fame in the genre. The main thing i want is skill levels on the work tab.

The whiter the work box the better the skill of that character, it gives you the number if you hover of it.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh. Because you can't adjust opacity or resize windows the UI is REALLY REALLY bad.

What bullshit. There are some good tabs done by Fluffy available in the workshop, but the default stuff works fine.

I played WoW the other night for the first time in ages and when comparing my loot against what I was wearing, it didn't automatically display both properties next to each other. I actually had to open my inventory and paper doll and hover over each item and compare it manually against what I had. Games like Grim Dawn and Diablo have been showing the worn stats and the new items stats side-by-side when you hover over the new item for years. Conclusion - World of Warcraft has a REALLY REALLY BAD UI.

No, it doesn't. It just doesn't have a feature or two I got used to somewhere else.

histrionic
ˌhɪstrɪˈɒnɪk/
noun
plural noun: histrionics

melodramatic behaviour designed to attract attention.
"by now, Anna was accustomed to her mother's histrionics"
synonyms: dramatics, drama, theatrics, theatricality, tantrums; More

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Tony Montana posted:

melodramatic behaviour designed to attract attention.
"by now, Anna was accustomed to her mother's histrionics"
synonyms: dramatics, drama, theatrics, theatricality, tantrums; More

Good find, that is in fact the perfect world to describe your post.

"This this I like is perfect, everyone who thinks any part of it could ever be improved is a stupid poopoohead" is the attitude that leads to people describing the Dwarf Fortress in UI in positive terms.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus.

The UI isn't TERRIBLE. Suggestions are welcome.

If you whine about how backward it is because you can't change the opacity then I'm going to call you a whiny child (because you are).

Go and download Fluffy's tabs like I suggested, it does things like put all the medical information in one place and you don't have to click through colonists to check them.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

You can set "Fun" in the restrictions tab. Set aside an hour or two away from unrestricted to fun. Its also how you get night owls up and about at night, and sleep inthe day for their happiness boost.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ZearothK posted:

The whiter the work box the better the skill of that character, it gives you the number if you hover of it.

They also start turning yellow when the skill level gets high enough

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I thin it's a good practice to set a band of 4 hours of joy time for each colonist, spaced 1 hour apart so there's a few hours of overlap if somebody wants a playmate. Some tasks can run more than an hour or two and they can miss their joy break.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i'm very into this game.

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012

Impermanent posted:

i'm very into this game.

Since the steam release I've tracked 47 hours... I work full time too

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

splifyphus posted:

Is this really the case? I just had an amazing mountain base on Rough Cassandra that was getting attacked by dudes with triple rocket launchers before I even had a basic electric circuit going, and soon after that a raid came with multiple mortars that could just set my base on fire from across the map. I only had 3 people with a single gun between them and I had to abandon the run really early. Gonna try some Chloe Chillax for a few games.

This game is great and I'm enjoying it a lot, but the UI is really, really bad. You can't resize it or change the opacity at all, there are no hotkeys for any of the Architect menus where you spend 75% of your time, instead of right-clicking bringing up contextual menus like 'bill' or 'need' you've got tiny orange buttons that all look the same AND don't have hotkeys, you can't cancel or deconstruct without finding the appropriate architect tab first, the escape key kills your current open menu instead of returning your cursor to default, etc etc. I spend way too much time trying to find poo poo buried in silly tabs and struggling with the UI. The whole thing desperately needs a major overhaul, I hope it's a priority for future patches.

No.

Rough Randy is the best ai.

Still challenging and it does have raids just not the ever increasing continuous waves like cassandra.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Agreed. Randy may throw poo poo thats a bit too early, but he also doesnt actively try and overwhelm you for his story of everyone dies.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Chloe is pretty much Cassandra only with more time between events (which also mean that her's jump in difficulty a lot more.)

Randy Random is the true chill storyteller.

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012
So... anyone know how affairs work in this game? My colonists just went into a love triangle where the married one is brothers with the husband.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Propably been answered a million times before, but why do my colonist that I save from drop-pods just randomly walk away even though I have rooms prepared and everything? It once happened to a no-joke lover of one of my originals.

e: and some additional questions:

- where can I find a reliable source of components? Can I produce them?

- I have a comms console but not space traders have contacted me yet. How come?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Rescuing people doesn't mean they join you (although I believe there is a tiny chance for them to once healed), you have to capture them and convince them to join as you would an attacker.

Components can be made after a load of research, but you can mine them from compacted machinery, deconstruct ship pieces dotted around your map or trade for them, too.

Traders will come and go from contact range over time, just means no-one is in the area right now. You'll get a message when a ship is nearby to contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Thanks!