Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Speaking of not secret secret security poo poo, last week's headline of "Nice terror attack, May addresses COBRA" must in the running for worst accidental double entendre ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Private Speech posted:

To be clear, you don't have to have it on you all the time or anything, but if you get in trouble with police they can demand you prove your identity, which is a hassle if you don't. What happens is that they either book you in and have someone come in with your id/birth certificate, or if they are feeling charitable they sometimes drive you home to pick it up.

It sounds a lot scarier than it is.

Fun story: my dad got popped on a warrant after he certified for an identity of an acquaintance who forgot his id and who had it requested by the police. He didn't know there was a warrant out on him for 3 years (he skipped community service on a minor juvenile delinquency charge). This in a country where you do need to be able to prove your identity if asked. Therefore, I think mandatory ID = bad

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TomViolence posted:

Extending the franchise outside of the landed classes fatal mistake for democracy, read all about it.
The franchise for national government should be restricted to land owners.

And then land ownership should be abolished. :anarchists:

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

It's an incredibly sheltered and privileged worldview that the average citizen has nothing to fear from the police and that you can always trust in the benevolence of their intentions. "It's not as scary as it sounds" is a load of poo poo if members of your community have a history of falling repeatedly down the stairs while being detained without charge, for instance.

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 25, 2016

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Thornberry's alright. She's always good to cadge a fag from if you see her hiding out round the back of hustings/surgeries etc.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Thornberry's alright. She's always good to cadge a fag from if you see her hiding out round the back of hustings/surgeries etc.

You know, that's actually a pretty decent litmus test whether someone is a huge rear end.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Speaking from experience, I presume?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

nothing to seehere posted:

Speaking from experience, I presume?

Yeah. I'm on the board of a renters rights organisation in Islington and she usually makes time to turn up for our events. Good thing too, because our other Islington MP has been mysteriously unavailable of late.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Yeah. I'm on the board of a renters rights organisation in Islington and she usually makes time to turn up for our events. Good thing too, because our other Islington MP has been mysteriously unavailable of late.

God, what a bastard. Have you considered pushing for his de-selection by his local party?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TomViolence posted:

Giving the plebs the vote bad idea, says the paper of our benevolent betters. Extending the franchise outside of the landed classes fatal mistake for democracy, read all about it.
Weirdly, someone just linked me to this article. Seems the Graun is all for independent bottom-led projects so long as they don't go around trying to change things politically, which of course is very gauche.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Politics is not about the will of the people it's about this nebulous concept where everyones idea goes into a big pot and then we poo poo in the pot and set it all on fire and then we smear whats left on our bodies. Democracy works.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

TomViolence posted:

Giving the plebs the vote bad idea, says the paper of our benevolent betters. Extending the franchise outside of the landed classes fatal mistake for democracy, read all about it.

That's not what the article says at all, the core point is valid we elect people who in theory are meant to focus their time on understanding and making judgements on complex issues. There's solid modelling using complex adaptive systems that shows that direct democracy produces results that more people are unhappy with than a representative democracy like we have now. Direct democracy is often very bad see the EU referendum.

However I cant quite see how your man here turns this into a stick to beat Corbyn with for being popular because that's completely insane and actually misinterprets his own point.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Well then
https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/757591328624640000

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Given this is George Eaton saying it, it's equally likely to be true that she's left the Labour Party and now works for an engineering firm in Seoul.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Renaissance Robot posted:

"Nice terror attack, May addresses COBRA"

She'll forget one day and walk out of No.10 wearing the mirrored helmet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zohar posted:

Relying on opposition votes would damage her quite seriously. Remember Blair in his second term had serious problems with the possibility of having to rely on Tory votes that pushed him to the brink of resignation, and the Brexiteer contingent in the PCP is proportionally comparable to the awkward squad in the PLP back then if not larger (if memory serves Blair's problems were with about 100 MPs which was a quarter of the PLP).

Every PM wants to govern by force of their personality alone, very few of them actually can.

It's a shame the psychoactive substances bill didn't do anything to curtail PCP activity in this country.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

StoneOfShame posted:

That's not what the article says at all, the core point is valid we elect people who in theory are meant to focus their time on understanding and making judgements on complex issues. There's solid modelling using complex adaptive systems that shows that direct democracy produces results that more people are unhappy with than a representative democracy like we have now. Direct democracy is often very bad see the EU referendum.

However I cant quite see how your man here turns this into a stick to beat Corbyn with for being popular because that's completely insane and actually misinterprets his own point.

My facetious and misleading take on the article's content was more my interpretation of the agenda behind the piece, because let's face it that's what your average Graun reader is really thinking, they worked bloody hard to not be part of the mob thank you very much

The opposite of populism is not representative democracy but elitism or, more generously, paternalism, whereby the lumpen is told what's good for them and given very little say in the matter. And when they push for even the slightest bit of redress it's decried as populism by opinion makers with a vested interest in the status quo. Whether technocracy works or not, its current implementation is failing to serve vast swathes of the population after all.

It's also very loving dumb that the guy brings up Gove's rejection of experts when Corbs and McDonell actually got proper economists to back them up on their anti-austerity agenda. Did Cameron and Gidiot's government count as "populist" by his reckoning, I wonder? They steadfastly rejected a great deal of evidence in their policymaking and depended on emotional arguments and the moralisation of poverty, but no-one called them an insurgent threat to democracy

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Pesmerga posted:

Given this is George Eaton saying it, it's equally likely to be true that she's left the Labour Party and now works for an engineering firm in Seoul.

https://twitter.com/BBCNormanS/status/757592635498520576

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Helen Highwater posted:

The nuclear deterrent used to be hilariously broken and was partially powered by chickens at one point.

quote:

A weapon of one half megaton was considered to be in the megaton range.[26][27]

Some things never change.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'd love to hear about how that change of heart is supposed to work.

"I'm sorry mister Corbyn it's just all the cool kids were doing it and I didn't want to be left out :("

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Hahahaha, why would you want an opportunist like that on the front bench?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
this time I DEFINITELY won't stab you in the back. pinky swear

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

It's a shame the psychoactive substances bill didn't do anything to curtail PCP activity in this country.
:golfclap:

It certainly could be considered as "affecting the person’s mental functioning or emotional state".

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

In fairness to her she could have been protesting by resigning, and then got shocked by the methods employed by the PLP when the resignations and no confidence didn't work, and in fact showed that Corbyn's mandate might be greater than ever. You know, a non-malicious mistake that she regrets.

We all know that's not how those backstabbers went and if any of them did they would have spoken out long before today but I'm just being charitable here

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Guavanaut posted:

:golfclap:

It certainly could be considered as "affecting the person’s mental functioning or emotional state".

Hrm, hazardous to health, terrible for your heart, and there's definitely a moral argument for keeping it away from under 18s.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose being magnanimous in victory is sort of an indication of character but I'd be surprised if anyone gives Corbyn credit for it, or whether it can be considered politically wise to re-accept someone so apparently inclined to disloyalty.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So which anti-Corbyn posters do you think are bluecap and pisstie?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

So which anti-Corbyn posters do you think are bluecap and pisstie?

Left one definitely looks like a tory.

Right one looks a bit like Robert Webb.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Pesmerga posted:

Hahahaha, why would you want an opportunist like that on the front bench?

Two reasons I can think of

1) He really really really needs everyone he can get.
2) It looks very bad for the coup.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

TheRat posted:

Two reasons I can think of

1) He really really really needs everyone he can get.
2) It looks very bad for the coup.

The Guardian is studiously ignoring it in favour of (yet another) breathless update on how darn amazing Owen Smith is. Don't be surprised to see it framed as 'an indication of Corbyn's weakness that he has had to draw on previously resigned cabinet members to keep the opposition going.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
I think it's fair that not all the no-confidence-voting MPs were necessarily gung-ho about getting rid of Corbyn and instead just thought he was doomed and wanted to get in the good graces of the coup ringleaders so they didn't get unceremoniously purged.

Not exactly a paragon of virtue, but hey, it's one way out of the civil war. Just get rid of some of the key figures and see how many fall in line afterwards.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Pesmerga posted:

The Guardian is studiously ignoring it

The Guardian posted:

The Labour party has just announced that Sarah Champion is rejoining the front bench, as shadow Home Office minister focusing on women, equality and domestic violence. She resigned as a shadow Home Office minister last month after Labour MPs passed their vote of no confidence in Jeremy Corbyn.

This is significant. If Labour MPs withdrawing their labour by refusing to serve on the frontbench, Champion’s move could be a sign that the “strike” is beginning to crumble.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2016/jul/25/mcdonnell-accused-of-downplaying-seriousness-of-malhotra-office-row-politics-live

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"The Labour party has just announced that Sarah Champion is rejoining the front bench, as shadow Home Office minister focusing on women, equality and domestic violence."

Don't put it that way in light of our last home secretary please.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pesmerga posted:

The Guardian is studiously ignoring it in favour of (yet another) breathless update on how darn amazing Owen Smith is. Don't be surprised to see it framed as 'an indication of Corbyn's weakness that he has had to draw on previously resigned cabinet members to keep the opposition going.

Also they're reporting that THOSE MOTHERFUCKERRS Corbyn and McDonnell put forward an early day motion to prevent Pfizer from doing a corporate takeover of AstraZenica in order to protect the workers' jobs. Apparently this shows that Corbyn and McDonnell support the pharmaceutical industry wholeheartedly and thus are hypocrites for decrying the tax breaks(???).

The graun really is going full Daily Mail about this all.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Also they're reporting that THOSE MOTHERFUCKERRS Corbyn and McDonnell put forward and early day motion to prevent Pfizer from doing a corporate takeover of AstraZenica in order to protect the workers' jobs. Apparently this shows that Corbyn and McDonnell support the pharmaceutical industry wholeheartedly and thus are hypocrites for decrying the tax breaks(???).

The graun really is going full Daily Mail about this all.

I tried to have a twitter slapfight with an MP about it, but he backed out before I could bait him in properly :(

https://twitter.com/TomBlenkinsop/status/757582742649466880

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

ukle posted:

There is almost no way Article 50 will be triggered before the autumn of next year - thanks to the French and German elections. David Davis has really gone down a lot in my estimations lately he does seem very clueless, which given the roll he now finds himself in is very worrying.

His reputation as a good Tory has always been based on him being a champion of civil liberties. I don't think anyone's been under delusions about him in other regards. He has said some stupid things recently, most notably the thing about creating a new free trade agreement bigger than the earth's economy.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Baron Corbyn posted:

His reputation as a good Tory has always been based on him being a champion of civil liberties. I don't think anyone's been under delusions about him in other regards. He has said some stupid things recently, most notably the thing about creating a new free trade agreement bigger than the earth's economy.

he seriously argues that his experience in the EEC is not only relevant but equivalent to a full understanding of the modern EU, so I honestly can't tell if he's senile or dumb as a sack of poo poo

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

To be fair, if he managed to pull that off it'd be pretty great for the economy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TheRat posted:

I tried to have a twitter slapfight with an MP about it, but he backed out before I could bait him in properly :(

https://twitter.com/TomBlenkinsop/status/757582742649466880

Oh come on tom you bellend just because you represent the libdem bit of middlesbrough doesn't mean you have to act like one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The thing that's really annoying is that their 'defence' of Pfizer isn't there - it's praising AstraZenica and demanding Pfizer don't fire their employees to make a quick buck. If anything it's suggesting Pfizer are vulture capitalists, not brilliant research funders.

• Locked thread