Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Seamonster posted:

Eh, as long as its not a reference blower, a 390 can run fairly quietly. Either the Sapphire TriX or MSI Frozr models are alright assuming you aren't going balls to the walls with clockspeeds and voltages. But yeah that heat though.

If you don't mind losing some performance you can always undervolt/underclock - My MSI 390 can do the reference 1 GHz core speed at -100mv (max allowable in afterburner) and even furmark only draws ~200W

I have the MSI Twin Frozr one, and it's one of the loudest cards I've ever owned. Maybe it's habit or frame of reference, but the (MSI) 1070 is completely inaudible in comparison.

Part of this may be due to airflow. My PC build can't shove the extra ~275W out well enough , so the card temp and hence fan speed will creep upwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Skuto posted:

I have the MSI Twin Frozr one, and it's one of the loudest cards I've ever owned. Maybe it's habit or frame of reference, but the (MSI) 1070 is completely inaudible in comparison.

Part of this may be due to airflow. My PC build can't shove the extra ~275W out well enough , so the card temp and hence fan speed will creep upwards.

I just went from a Silverstone Temjin TJ-08 matx to a NZXT S340 and that extra airflow does make a huge difference.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Green Gloves posted:

Link for the 390? This and that powercolor 380x I posted yesterday are pretty decent values. I am running a 380 and its really great actually, runs quiet and temps stay at 75-80*C full load.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-radeon-r9-390-twinfrozr-06-110321.htm :canada: price though, may need to wait a while

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Looking at the IPS HD monitors listed as freesync compatible here, a lot of them have a pretty narrow refresh range like 48-75Hz.

This is because FreeSync is essentially free to implement for the monitor maker, so those are just "normal" 75Hz monitors with cheap/simple scalers and FreeSync added as an afterthought.

quote:

Are high refresh rates not really necessary when *sync is in play?

As the graph you quote shows, you'd much rather have high refresh than *Sync. 75Hz with FreeSync is still only a 75Hz monitor. It'll look better than a non Sync 75Hz one if you go below 75Hz, but that's it.

quote:

48Hz seems high as a minimum refresh rate too - is there a recommended upper and lower bound that is required to actually benefit from adaptive sync?

The upper bound should be equal to the highest Hz the monitor can do (so you don't get the heartbreaking choice of either *Sync or the fastest response from the monitor), and the lower bound should be at least 2.5x lower than that. The latter is required to get FreeSync coverage over the *entire* Hz range, as the AMD driver will do the rest of the compensation as long as the range is >2.5x.

This also means that 48-75Hz is a poo poo range. Avoid.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Skuto posted:

This is because FreeSync is essentially free to implement for the monitor maker, so those are just "normal" 75Hz monitors with cheap/simple scalers and FreeSync added as an afterthought.

As the graph you quote shows, you'd much rather have high refresh than *Sync. 75Hz with FreeSync is still only a 75Hz monitor. It'll look better than a non Sync 75Hz one if you go below 75Hz, but that's it.

The upper bound should be equal to the highest Hz the monitor can do (so you don't get the heartbreaking choice of either *Sync or the fastest response from the monitor), and the lower bound should be at least 2.5x lower than that. The latter is required to get FreeSync coverage over the *entire* Hz range, as the AMD driver will do the rest of the compensation as long as the range is >2.5x.

This also means that 48-75Hz is a poo poo range. Avoid.

Yeah if you're getting a *-sync monitor you should try to get a 144hz one as that will give you the headroom you need for a larger *-sync range.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Green Gloves posted:

I just went from a Silverstone Temjin TJ-08 matx to a NZXT S340 and that extra airflow does make a huge difference.

Yeah, I don't doubt that. But if you are on the fence between a R9 390 and an RX 480, you're likely not counting a case/fan upgrade into the equation.

High wattage cards are not without tradeoffs.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I'm mulling over a 480 or a 1060 along with a monitor upgrade. A little while ago someone posted a chart of relative visual quality that looked like this:

gsync
freesync
----
144Hz (no sync)
----
----
----
----
60Hz

Looking at the IPS HD monitors listed as freesync compatible here, a lot of them have a pretty narrow refresh range like 48-75Hz. Are high refresh rates not really necessary when *sync is in play? 48Hz seems high as a minimum refresh rate too - is there a recommended upper and lower bound that is required to actually benefit from adaptive sync?

For best results you want the top of the range to be 2.5 or more times the lower end. So 30-75 would be good. If there's nothing in your range that can hit it it's still better than not but you'll probably want to make sure you don't drop below that minimum no matter what. If you're considering a $200 card that may well be the best match for the card, but know that's a definite sacrifice.

And honestly high refresh rate and *sync are tackling things in an overlapping way, so both are useful although the higher speed you get the less of a difference *sync makes.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

More Bigger = Greater Than!

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

If people would make 60Hz FreeSync monitors, I guess you wouldn't care about the 2.5x range much, because if you drop below 24FPS (60/2.5) no amount of *sync is going to make it look smooth.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Skuto posted:

Yeah, I don't doubt that. But if you are on the fence between a R9 390 and an RX 480, you're likely not counting a case/fan upgrade into the equation.

High wattage cards are not without tradeoffs.

Only reason I changed cases was my old z87 motherboard was having a lot of issues. Buying a used z97 matx was the same price as a brand new z97 board I got for $40 + a case. So yeah YMMV.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So if the system I'm building would push out around 60-75fps to a 144Hz monitor, would I be getting a benefit out of G-Sync? I'm really still thinking about whether the added cost is worth it. I guess also living in a 30-60fps world means I can't really picture what "smooth" means in these upper echelons

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So if the system I'm building would push out around 60-75fps to a 144Hz monitor, would I be getting a benefit out of G-Sync? I'm really still thinking about whether the added cost is worth it. I guess also living in a 30-60fps world means I can't really picture what "smooth" means in these upper echelons

The benefits of *sync are greater the lower the FPS is so you definitely want G-Sync if you can only do 60-75FPS.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'd say yes, there's definitely still a benefit. That said, G-Sync is still a 150 USD or so tax? If you're only getting 75fps on a 144Hz monitor, I think I'd rather put the G-Sync tax to use on a beefier GPU.

You can then still get a FreeSync monitor and bank on AMD not sucking at some point and/or the market forcing NVIDIA to add support for it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, you'd get a nice benefit. It does more the lower you are, because a low framerate is both more gap between frames and a wider gap for frames to fall in where they aren't perfectly aligned. *sync fixes that.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The benefits of *sync are greater the lower the FPS is so you definitely want G-Sync if you can only do 60-75FPS.

The lower the Hz is of the monitor, not FPS. He is considering a 144Hz monitor so that wouldn't matter so much to him.

The amount of time the frame is off from the correct display time is limited by the max Hz of the monitor, not FPS, so I can't really see how your statement would be true?

Edit: The lower the FPS, the lower the percentual error on the display time is, while the absolute value remains constant, for a fixed monitor Hz. So that just reinforces that IMHO the monitor Hz is what matters, not the FPS.

Hiowf fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 25, 2016

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Pre-ordered the sapphire 480. Finally. Now Amazon just needs to get them.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Gonkish posted:

Pre-ordered the sapphire 480. Finally. Now Amazon just needs to get them.

Lol im legit happy for you man, I distinctly remember you wanting this exact card for months

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Lol im legit happy for you man, I distinctly remember you wanting this exact card for months

Probably because I have been a big dumb baby this entire time. :unsmith:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

In case anyone is on this, expected to ship 1st week of August.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

I'm mulling over a 480 or a 1060 along with a monitor upgrade. A little while ago someone posted a chart of relative visual quality that looked like this:

gsync
freesync
----
144Hz (no sync)
----
----
----
----
60Hz

Looking at the IPS HD monitors listed as freesync compatible here, a lot of them have a pretty narrow refresh range like 48-75Hz. Are high refresh rates not really necessary when *sync is in play? 48Hz seems high as a minimum refresh rate too - is there a recommended upper and lower bound that is required to actually benefit from adaptive sync?

Avoid freesync monitors where the max is less than 2.5x that of the lowest refresh, they don't support low framerate compensation, and so aren't so great when your fps drops below the minimum refresh.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

Avoid freesync monitors where the max is less than 2.5x that of the lowest refresh, they don't support low framerate compensation, and so aren't so great when your fps drops below the minimum refresh.

Not true! Some freesync monitors do LFC, you'll have to check though before you buy. I know the super-cheap AOC one does as that's the one I have.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

axeil posted:

Not true! Some freesync monitors do LFC, you'll have to check though before you buy. I know the super-cheap AOC one does as that's the one I have.

If they have that 2.5x range, they do it, if they don't they don't.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

xthetenth posted:

If they have that 2.5x range, they do it, if they don't they don't.

Oh. Yes, that's what I meant. So you need that 2.5 range to get LFC, which is why if you're in the market for a *-sync monitor you should be looking for a 144hz one.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Junior Jr. posted:

In case anyone does buy the Titan XP, can they put it in a windows XP rig and check how fast it runs?

Not sure how serious you are, but Windows XP driver support was dropped starting with Maxwell.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

axeil posted:

Which part wasn't true? LFC isn't a special feature, it simply requires the range of refresh I mentioned as a minimum.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 25, 2016

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Has there been any word about when the RX 490 will be announced?

HalloKitty posted:

Weirdly, while a 2.5x range is common enough for 1440p IPS monitors, it's virtually non-existent for 1080p IPS. The variety at 27" seems better than at 24" too.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Green Gloves posted:

Power Color R9 380x $125 after MIR and Paypal Checkout Code
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131687&cm_re=r9_380x-_-14-131-687-_-Product

LG 29um68 Ultrawide $287
https://www.amazon.com/LG-29UM68-P-29-Inch-21-UltraWide/dp/B01B9IDLAW

That's a budget friendly $400 combo that should run FFXIV well. Ultrawide owns for MMO too.

I'm actually looking at the 480 as I don't mind going 300-400 on the Graphics card, just going over is a bit too much (Yay Canadian Dollar) -

Thanks for the monitor tip though? Does it actually do 144HZ like other Freesynch monitors?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

axeil posted:

Oh. Yes, that's what I meant. So you need that 2.5 range to get LFC, which is why if you're in the market for a *-sync monitor you should be looking for a 144hz one.

Not necessarily, for example the 30-75 range on my XR341CK is sufficient.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Has there been any word about when the RX 490 will be announced?

I'm not sure which of them are going to be called the "RX 490", but there's likely a dual-480 board coming later this year and a bigger GPU "Vega" based board expected sometime early next year. One of those will probably be called the 490.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm actually looking at the 480 as I don't mind going 300-400 on the Graphics card, just going over is a bit too much (Yay Canadian Dollar) -

Thanks for the monitor tip though? Does it actually do 144HZ like other Freesynch monitors?

No because its not a TN panel its ips, so 60-75hz is going to be its max.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm not sure which of them are going to be called the "RX 490", but there's likely a dual-480 board coming later this year and a bigger GPU "Vega" based board expected sometime early next year. One of those will probably be called the 490.

at this point vega might as well be RX 5xx

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

wargames posted:

No because its not a TN panel its ips, so 60-75hz is going to be its max.

Yeah the freesync range is 40-75hz on the 29um68. Theres only two 2560 x 1080 ips 144hz monitors but they are 35" and expensive. Youre going to have to get a tn panel for 144hz.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 25, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

wicka posted:

at this point vega might as well be RX 5xx

Possible, as there are two Vegas and I'm not sure how they'd bracket them into the 400 series. If there really is a foundry issue better just to release something and comeback with a fresh product line.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

but why

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
It isn't like AMD or Nvidia have any shame when it comes to rebranding old chips. Instead of rebranding to come up with "new" products once a year, maybe they can start doing it every six months.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NVIDIA has been pretty good about rolling out actual architecture, no?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Taima posted:

but why

someones gotta pave the way

PBCrunch posted:

It isn't like AMD or Nvidia have any shame when it comes to rebranding old chips. Instead of rebranding to come up with "new" products once a year, maybe they can start doing it every six months.

Im okay with rebranding ... if they bump all the models down one segment and price bracket. And like, just one time.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

someones gotta pave the way

Not really? Bezels all up in the middle of your play experience is not the future.

I just don't get how his setup is superior in any way to, say, a 34 inch 3440x1440 ultra widescreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Green Gloves posted:

Yeah the freesync range is 40-75hz on the 29um68. Theres only two 2560 x 1080 ips 144hz monitors but they are 35" and expensive. Youre going to have to get a tn panel for 144hz.

Asus and Acer have affordable 144Hz 1440p IPS models.