Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I think part of it is the FFXI argument. You see it with Dragoons and wyverns too, even though it didn't really fit the world at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
The nature of Summons in the series has always deferred to what the plot demanded of them, I don't get why they get hung up on FFXIV having players almost exclusively being on the receiving end of their iconic attacks this time. Hell, I always thought it was neat that they were giving us this perspective this time around.

That said, I also thought it would've been neat if they made the LB3 for Summoners summon the full primal for the Egi you have out to deliver their iconic attack, but I imagine that tacking such a huge cost to one class would cause problems in development.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Summoners did get that in the form of bahamut. Summoner LB3 owns so much.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I'm hopping back on for free week to catch up on all the story bits and mess around with friends.

I only have two questions: are there any drastic but easy to miss QoL improvements released in the past year

and

any big monk changes?? I looked at the skills and they still seem about how I left them

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Failboattootoot posted:

Summoners like to have bad opinions. So many knobs complaining about egi's and wishing they had full sized primals stomping around and I am just over here like motherfucker it is hard enough to melee as is without some giant turd-monster blocking the entire rear side of what I'm stabbing.

A lot of people are bad at seeing at seeing the design sides of these arguments. What they ask for is wildly impractical from a quality of life/gameplay point of view, but try telling them that. "You should completely overhaul the game to accomodate for my unreasonable IMMERSION based demands!" :shrug:

Me, I'd say Summoners had one of the most successful overhauls of their mechanics in Heavensward. The new rotation is fun and satisfying. Rather than being a thing you maintain constantly like a chore (Enochian), Dreadwyrm is something you build up to and involves stealing the signature attack of The Big Man from 2.xx raiding. What's not to love?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Quests that unlock new content have a new icon, and NIN's mudras were changed a bit to make them work better for higher pings. I'm pretty sure MNK hasn't changed at all, it's still the king of single target damage.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
I think MNKs got some very minor buffs since 3.0 came out. They didn't need anything spectacular, they're in a good place.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Summoners like to have bad opinions. So many knobs complaining about egi's and wishing they had full sized primals stomping around and I am just over here like motherfucker it is hard enough to melee as is without some giant turd-monster blocking the entire rear side of what I'm stabbing.

I don't need full size primals stomping around but I would like just one summon that doesn't look bad, because they all currently do

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I just hit level 59 on my 3 gatherers and all my crafters are 57/58.

Is there a "So you just hit 60" guide for DoH/DoL that I could dive into available anywhere? Preferably up to date with 3.3? I haven't invested a huge amount of time into crafting and would like to see whats involved in quicklyslowly getting caught up with the current BiS setups as well as how to make a lot of money.

Another question: if I did floors 1-10 of PotD solo, can I do the rest with a party? Is it possible to swap jobs between sections or are you stuck with the same job for all of it (unless you restart)?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
SMN is the best DPS job for dungeons, full stop. A good SMN is usually pulling 3k DPS on trash. BLM can get close, but ranged / melee classes generally aren't going to get close to that, unless you're getting big enough pulls for stuff like grenado shot / doom spike.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Dear Nidhogg Extreme party,
Please take Hayl Kattan with you if you're running after 5:30 PST, I want to see the end of that fight real bad.
Love,
Liver Disaster

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I just hit level 59 on my 3 gatherers and all my crafters are 57/58.

Is there a "So you just hit 60" guide for DoH/DoL that I could dive into available anywhere? Preferably up to date with 3.3? I haven't invested a huge amount of time into crafting and would like to see whats involved in quicklyslowly getting caught up with the current BiS setups as well as how to make a lot of money.

http://ffxivrealm.com/xz-articles/ff14-advanced-crafting-guide-part-3-heavensward-by-caimie-tsukino.156/

This isn't up to date with 3.3 yet but it's a good start to show crafting rotations. The person has a gathering guide in there too. 3.3 has added a lot to crafting / gathering in terms of gearsets. If you're serious about crafting, you'll want to get the ironworks set, which requires a lot of glass fibers - the best way to get these is through moogle quests. You'll also requires materials from Diadem. If you're only dabbling in crafting and won't be doing endgame crafting, you could get a carbonweave set instead, which is much easier to make. The only issue is you can't overmeld it.

General rule of thumb is to max out red scrips for gathering and crafting when you hit 60, as well as blue scrips since those are used for the i180 mainhands now.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Red Red Blue posted:

I don't need full size primals stomping around but I would like just one summon that doesn't look bad, because they all currently do

They should really just let us glamor our egis to look like the primal minions

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tarranon posted:

I'm hopping back on for free week to catch up on all the story bits and mess around with friends.

I only have two questions: are there any drastic but easy to miss QoL improvements released in the past year

and

any big monk changes?? I looked at the skills and they still seem about how I left them

They added a button next to where you switch classes that will equip the best equipment for that class from your armory chest (and maybe inventory?).

You can teleport while riding your chocobo (not exactly sure when that was added in).

There is a "history" tab for teleporting which can be useful when running leves (not sure when this was added in, either).

There are materia melder NPCs in every city next to the market board so you don't have to hunt for someone or level a crafting class to do it yourself.

There may be more, but that's all that I can think of off the top of my head.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
My friends used to think I was creepy when I said I waned doll clothes for Selene and Eos. Still think it should be in game! I don't care about resources!

But really, I always wondered why I couldn't at least have access to the carbuncles anymore. They're adorable. Just make a red one for Ifrit or something. That colour scheme actually even exists in the game.

In other news, I've been trying out BLM lately. I rip hate from every tank and it's getting to be a pain. I know I don't have quelling strikes, but I'm only in i30 gear. I didn't think it'd be that bad. Is this going to continue for all time unless I force myself to level up archer? I don't really think it's reasonable that people yell at me for not having a level 34 cross class ability in a level 31 dungeon, but that's what's happening. I've levelled tanks before, and I don't honestly recall it being that hard to hold hate against a BLM, but maybe they just all had quelling.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

seiferguy posted:

http://ffxivrealm.com/xz-articles/ff14-advanced-crafting-guide-part-3-heavensward-by-caimie-tsukino.156/

This isn't up to date with 3.3 yet but it's a good start to show crafting rotations. The person has a gathering guide in there too. 3.3 has added a lot to crafting / gathering in terms of gearsets. If you're serious about crafting, you'll want to get the ironworks set, which requires a lot of glass fibers - the best way to get these is through moogle quests. You'll also requires materials from Diadem. If you're only dabbling in crafting and won't be doing endgame crafting, you could get a carbonweave set instead, which is much easier to make. The only issue is you can't overmeld it.

General rule of thumb is to max out red scrips for gathering and crafting when you hit 60, as well as blue scrips since those are used for the i180 mainhands now.

This will do very nicely, thanks.

Diadem huh? Yeesh....I don't think endgame crafting was my ultimate goal anyway. I do have a bunch of kupo nuts saved up but I guess I can just sell the glass fibers for profit instead.

Any popular choices for specializations? Are there many pros or cons to choosing one over the other? I was thinking of CRP, WVR and LTW but I think they can be changed at some point as well so it's not a permanent choice?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Summoners did get that in the form of bahamut. Summoner LB3 owns so much.

Bahamut and the Teraflare need to be large enough that it completely blocks everyone's view like the BLM LB3.

I would also settle for the "n seconds to Teraflare" announcements.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Diadem huh? Yeesh....I don't think endgame crafting was my ultimate goal anyway. I do have a bunch of kupo nuts saved up but I guess I can just sell the glass fibers for profit instead.

Any popular choices for specializations? Are there many pros or cons to choosing one over the other? I was thinking of CRP, WVR and LTW but I think they can be changed at some point as well so it's not a permanent choice?

I don't think any Ironworks/Eikon Iron/High Mythrite stuff requires anything at all from Diadem. Carbonweave, the next set down, does though.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Diadem mats aren't soulbound or anything, so you can buy them off the market board. Pterodactyls can be fairly expensive (they were hovering at 35k each when I was making my carbonweave) but everything else is cheap enough.

And yeah, Carbonweave is the set that needs Diadem mats. Ironworks just needs Eikon mats and Luminous Fiber.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

ruta posted:

My friends used to think I was creepy when I said I waned doll clothes for Selene and Eos. Still think it should be in game! I don't care about resources!

But really, I always wondered why I couldn't at least have access to the carbuncles anymore. They're adorable. Just make a red one for Ifrit or something. That colour scheme actually even exists in the game.

In other news, I've been trying out BLM lately. I rip hate from every tank and it's getting to be a pain. I know I don't have quelling strikes, but I'm only in i30 gear. I didn't think it'd be that bad. Is this going to continue for all time unless I force myself to level up archer? I don't really think it's reasonable that people yell at me for not having a level 34 cross class ability in a level 31 dungeon, but that's what's happening. I've levelled tanks before, and I don't honestly recall it being that hard to hold hate against a BLM, but maybe they just all had quelling.

There's a good chance that the guy who trades sands for Relic is going to be in charge of some sort of summon glamour system, probably not that particular NPC doing it, but that little kiosk there. Probably not until after 3.4 though.

Also, get quelling. You may have had bad tanks, but get quelling.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ruta posted:

31? Brayflox and Haukke are the sweet spot where tanks still don't have their best enmity tools and BLMs are comparatively way less handicapped because they already have access to multiple Astral Fire stacks. Tanks are naturally disadvantaged and also probably bad and loudmouth. Don't sweat it immediately, but do knock out BRD34 soonish to get Quelling Strikes, yes it's that good, possibly even better than Raging Strikes, especially once you get high enough that your opener involves using Convert and Swiftcast and generally just making GBS threads damage all over the place.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

I would also settle for the "n seconds to Teraflare" announcements.

this is good and fine

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

With regards to summoner chat, I like summoner the way it is and is my main job, but if I were to overhaul the class, I think making the pet a more significant part of your gameplay would have been nice. As it stands garuda is just a little turret that has to be out for me to use contagion. That being said the way they integrated Bahamut in the expansion was great and I love calling down giant space lasers on my enemies. :black101:

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
if anyone's still interested in nidhogg ex, i'll most likely try again later today

my last attempt made it as far as the nail and claw phase (this is p. good considering we had no voice comms and had to fill in a lot of slots with randoms)

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Kibner posted:

They added a button next to where you switch classes that will equip the best equipment for that class from your armory chest (and maybe inventory?).

You can teleport while riding your chocobo (not exactly sure when that was added in).

There is a "history" tab for teleporting which can be useful when running leves (not sure when this was added in, either).

There are materia melder NPCs in every city next to the market board so you don't have to hunt for someone or level a crafting class to do it yourself.

There may be more, but that's all that I can think of off the top of my head.

wot about queuing with your chocobro

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Crazy idea about gathering (not fishing) and timed nodes:
Would it break anything to debuff the character for 12/24h game time to prevent them from seeing those nodes again instead of having it on a strict timer that you have to jump on or tough poo poo? Would keep the limit in place but remove all the silly waiting but don't blink or you'll miss it crap.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tarranon posted:

wot about queuing with your chocobro

Still broken, will be broken for foreseeable future (it's really far down on the list of things)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
fang and claw is easily the hardest part of the fight imo, as long as your white mage/astrologician know what they're doing

ganbatte

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

LethalGeek posted:

Crazy idea about gathering (not fishing) and timed nodes:
Would it break anything to debuff the character for 12/24h game time to prevent them from seeing those nodes again instead of having it on a strict timer that you have to jump on or tough poo poo? Would keep the limit in place but remove all the silly waiting but don't blink or you'll miss it crap.
Would certainly devalue all the gathering items, since you could do a complete circuit of them every time the debuff was up.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Would certainly devalue all the gathering items, since you could do a complete circuit of them every time the debuff was up.

Ok how about making them region specific how the books already are to limit which zones you could hit at the same time before tapping out

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Great idea, I'll send it to my uncle at Nintendo right away.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Fister Roboto posted:

Great idea, I'll send it to my uncle at Nintendo right away.

:master:

Really though for a system that isnt fun and is extremely difficult to make profitable (and at smaller returns than crafting) 2:50s~ windows are needlessly punishing. Even just not closing the window if you're mid-gather attempt when the node closes would help make it less lovely.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

It's smaller returns because gearing the class up and planning out the node windows are the only parts of gathering that take remotely any effort though. :shrug:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

fount of knowledge posted:

It's smaller returns because gearing the class up and planning out the node windows are the only parts of gathering that take remotely any effort though. :shrug:
I mean, endgame crafting is "gear the class up, look up a rotation someone smarter than you already mathed out, and know how to deal when you get RNG-screwed", right?

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
^
There's a bit more thought put into procs/changing circumstances during a craft than gathering requires, but pretending either of them are somehow difficult is pretty dumb. It's not a skill-gated income source, it's time/effort/investment gated.

fount of knowledge posted:

Completely true and largely irrelevant to the fact that windows that are less than 3 minutes is punishing to a degree the profit margin doesn't merit.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

If you're not going for endgame crafting, specialization is pretty meaningless so you can do whatever. All specialization does is 1) unlock the 3.5* recipes you need to be pretty seriously geared to even attempt, 2) give you +20 craftsmanship/control, which probably doesn't make much difference unless you're going for the requirements for * recipes, and 3) give you some skills no one uses.

Also yes, they can be changed. Takes a little over a week's worth of red scrips.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Also profit is totally meaningless in this game because there's nothing to spend gil on except stuff from other craft/gatherlords. It's really just "number goes UP" and "now I can buy more glamour and my seventh house on a seventh alt and funishings for it" which like, whatever. Kinda sad that there's no good gil sink but also it's nice that money really doesn't matter at all.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

On the other hand, glamour is the most important part of any good MMO

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Also profit is totally meaningless in this game because there's nothing to spend gil on except stuff from other craft/gatherlords. It's really just "number goes UP" and "now I can buy more glamour and my seventh house on a seventh alt and funishings for it" which like, whatever. Kinda sad that there's no good gil sink but also it's nice that money really doesn't matter at all.

3.4 is probably going to include a new set of crafted gear that will probably be pretty good, much like the Eikon gear was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
If it's anything like 2.x, 3.4 will definitely introduce 4* gathering and crafting, which will make the highest tier of crafted gear for Heavensward. I wanna say crafted 240?

• Locked thread