Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Paladinus posted:

They are making movie sequels/prequels/remakes to their cartoons instead. Oz the Great and Powerful, Maleficent, Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella, The Jungle Book. I'm pretty sure that at least half of those aren't very good.

Also, their Pirates of the Caribbean franchise already has at least two sequels too many. Maybe more, because I'm not sure how many are there at this point.

Oh, and Lone Ranger, of course, was a masterfully done remake of some stupid show from the 50s, lol.

oh god lol now I'm remembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I saw the last King Kong remake in the theatres in 2000 or whatever. I'll never make that mistake again.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

it cost about $20 to see a new film

$5 matinees and $7.50 after 6 PM for me in the glorious US of A, in a large city, even. Motherfuckers be price warring up ins. That's not even the cheapest theater, it's just two blocks from my house so it's the one I go t o all the time. Move somewhere with actual desperate poverty. It's much cheaper.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

Apparently both 80s and new GB are going to have Golden Books coming out in Sept.:

https://www.amazon.com/Ghostbusters-Little-Golden-Book/dp/1524714895/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7J9YCXH74EW4V7GD4B63

We need to correct that to "grown rear end adults between the ages of 33 and 47 buying kitsch modern memorabilia from their childhoods"

Legit the only people interested 84 movie or the 2016 remake of it, are gen x people.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

3-7 year olds love ghost bjs, queefs, and conversations about the book of revelations

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pvt.Scott posted:

$5 matinees and $7.50 after 6 PM for me in the glorious US of A, in a large city, even. Motherfuckers be price warring up ins. That's not even the cheapest theater, it's just two blocks from my house so it's the one I go t o all the time. Move somewhere with actual desperate poverty. It's much cheaper.

doesnt it cost more where poverty is awful

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

doesnt it cost more where poverty is awful

Maybe the theater owners in the Ozarks just aren't smart enough to exploit the poor?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Why would you make a golden book of a pg13 movie?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
We need Golden Books version of Robocop, Golden Book version of Matrix, Golden Book versions of X-Men movies and BvS.

There's a Deadpool coloring book, why not a Deadpool Golden Book?

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

JediTalentAgent posted:

We need Golden Books version of Robocop, Golden Book version of Matrix, Golden Book versions of X-Men movies and BvS.

There's a Deadpool coloring book, why not a Deadpool Golden Book?

I bet golden books will become the new nerd fad item to own. a whole series of golden books from R and PG13 rated movies.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Simstim posted:

I bet golden books will become the new nerd fad item to own. a whole series of golden books from R and PG13 rated movies.

If it happens, I'm sure there will be some Hot Topic knockoffs to make it happen called "Lil' Olden Books" that will be juuust close enough to LGBs to look like them, but just different enough to fall under some sort of unique or parody protection.

Suicide Squad* seems like it would have been a good testbed for such a thing.
*edit: I take that back. Walking Dead or Breaking Bad should have pioneered this about a year or two ago.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Cowman posted:

Lights Out is a fantastic movie first of all, if you like horror you should go see it. Secondly, like you said it had little to no marketing. Finally, it had a budget of $4.9m and according to Box Office Mojo it's made almost $30m worldwide. I'd say that's pretty good especially since it's only been out 3 days and a lot of it is probably going to come from word of mouth more than advertisements.

If it's both good and not a remake, then it has no place in this thread. :colbert:

Go make a thread about it in CineD. Then someone can tell you it's actually terrible because of a distinct lack of poop jokes which means it's actually against class warfare, which is bad.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm looking forward to the Little Golden Books of Antichrist or Requiem for a Dream.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JediTalentAgent posted:

If it happens, I'm sure there will be some Hot Topic knockoffs to make it happen called "Lil' Olden Books" that will be juuust close enough to LGBs to look like them, but just different enough to fall under some sort of unique or parody protection.

Suicide Squad* seems like it would have been a good testbed for such a thing.
*edit: I take that back. Walking Dead or Breaking Bad should have pioneered this about a year or two ago.

From here:
http://jspiotto.blogspot.is/search/label/Little%20Golden%20Books
There's a whoooole bunch of 'em

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
So Ghostbusters had a 50%+ drop this week, off an opening that was piss poor for a $144m+ marketing tentpole. Overseas it's even worse, it didn't crack the top five, which puts the weekend international take at under Dory's $19m.

So, two week total on a film costing all in north of $250m is ~75m domestic and negligible international. Those numbers are going to shrink even further from here on out.

So, despite the face saving PR statements and Tumblr math being used to say otherwise, there's no way this film can be considered anything but a failure by those metrics, right? I don't doubt they'll keep making GB stuff of some kind but Feig and co. have to be out.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bloodysabbath posted:

So Ghostbusters had a 50%+ drop this week, off an opening that was piss poor for a $144m+ marketing tentpole. Overseas it's even worse, it didn't crack the top five, which puts the weekend international take at under Dory's $19m.

So, two week total on a film costing all in north of $250m is ~75m domestic and negligible international. Those numbers are going to shrink even further from here on out.

That's the two weekend totals, the full domestic gross is $86m, with a worldwide gross of $122m. And a 50%+ drop off for the second weekend is pretty standard, Deadpool dropped -57.4% for its second weekend, X-Men: Apocalypse dropped -65.3% and Batman v Superman dropped -69.1%,

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

bloodysabbath posted:

So, despite the face saving PR statements and Tumblr math being used to say otherwise, there's no way this film can be considered anything but a failure by those metrics, right? I don't doubt they'll keep making GB stuff of some kind but Feig and co. have to be out.

Maybe it's been the ol' New Coke / Coke Classic ploy all along :tinfoil:

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

bloodysabbath posted:

Ghostbusters cost around as much as Gods of Egypt and The Huntsman: Winter's War and looks to be on track to have a total box office near the same. And those two movies have been deemed bombs by the press.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Simstim posted:

Ghostbusters cost around as much as Gods of Egypt and The Huntsman: Winter's War and looks to be on track to have a total box office near the same. And those two movies have been deemed bombs by the press.

It's already made more domestically than those two films together? They made more internationally but they had theatre runs of 10+ weeks and Ghostbusters has only been out 10 days.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I think GB is MAYBE going to have some legs for a while if only because it feels like the word of mouth might end up being that, despite fart jokes, dick blasting, sexy Kevin, and ghostboobs, it's a fairly non-sexualized film that you can take the kids to and not worry about anything.

That sounds like that's quite a bit, but by comparison there's no horny DanaZuul, no BJ ghost scene, no really scantly clad women moments, no bubbled wrap Gozer. It's cartoonish as to almost be inoffensive. I noticed a LOT of families in my screening today.

The DVD edit feels like it's got to be better, though, because there's so many sudden movements in the plot that it feels like a lot of this film is missing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think GB is MAYBE going to have some legs for a while if only because it feels like the word of mouth might end up being that, despite fart jokes, dick blasting, sexy Kevin, and ghostboobs, it's a fairly non-sexualized film that you can take the kids to and not worry about anything.

That sounds like that's quite a bit, but by comparison there's no horny DanaZuul, no BJ ghost scene, no really scantly clad women moments, no bubbled wrap Gozer. It's cartoonish as to almost be inoffensive. I noticed a LOT of families in my screening today.

The DVD edit feels like it's got to be better, though, because there's so many sudden movements in the plot that it feels like a lot of this film is missing.

It has already lost its legs, though. Has there ever been an example of a blockbuster film re-bounding after an initial failure to bring back its budget later?

It's not going to be a disaster like Carter or Gods of Egypt, but very few things are. It's going to be a somewhat underperforming film, maybe on par with Terminator Salvation (barely pay for studio costs, leads to scrapping the franchise), maybe a bit worse.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Father Wendigo posted:

If it's both good and not a remake, then it has no place in this thread. :colbert:

Go make a thread about it in CineD. Then someone can tell you it's actually terrible because of a distinct lack of poop jokes which means it's actually against class warfare, which is bad.

Lights Out is a remake of a 10 minute video.

Also I'm pretty sure many people in CD like Lights Out.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

It has already lost its legs, though. Has there ever been an example of a blockbuster film re-bounding after an initial failure to bring back its budget later?

It's not going to be a disaster like Carter or Gods of Egypt, but very few things are. It's going to be a somewhat underperforming film, maybe on par with Terminator Salvation (barely pay for studio costs, leads to scrapping the franchise), maybe a bit worse.

I guess the number of screens after this week will determine, though. It won't be a huge hit, but at this rate it will possibly just break the GB2 domestic in about another 11 days if it can hold on that long and stay in the top ten. For comparisons sake, it took GB2 nearly 3 weeks to make about the same amount that GB2016 has made in only 10. My guess is that by next weekend it will break $100M.

True, it's a much different metric of cost, prices, etc. in the last 27 years but if it can break the GB2 domestic that will be quite the feather in the hat of the reboot. Once the final tally of all the international markets are finally accumulated, it could maybe do about $180M total global.

GB being on week 2 will probably be starting its slide off of screens this Thursday, but I can see it staying in the top 10 through at least mid August where it's still going to make at least about $250-500K a day given how other movies in the top 10 have been performing this Summer.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but that new Ben Affleck movie, The Accountant, is basically a rewrite of the original Good Will Hunting script where super-genius Will Hunting gets recruited by the CIA to be a super spy or whatever their original screenplay was before it got shredded and rewritten.

So, it's kind of like a reboot in that they're trying to make Good Will Hunting, but for serious this time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

steinrokkan posted:

We're only on day 10 of GB16's run and it's already made $86m domestically, which is 60% of its production budget. John Carter had only made $53m on its 10th day (21% of its production budget) and Gods of Egypt had only made $23m (16% of production budget). Terminator Salvation was ahead of GB16 by day 10 with a cumulative domestic gross of $90m but it was also a much more expensive movie so that was only 45% of its production budget. For comparison, TMNT: Out Of The Shadows was at $60m (44% of production budget), ID42 was at $72m (43% of production budget), Batman v Superman and Captain America: Civil War were both slightly past 100% and Deadpool was past 400%. So GB16 isn't a runaway success but it's doing better than a bunch of recent films.

Funnily enough the closest recent film I could find was Mad Max: Fury Road which had a $150m budget and made $88m by day 10 (59% of production budget) which is almost exactly the same as GB16. It ended up just making slightly more than its production budget domestically and about one and a half times that internationally even though it didn't get a release in China.

tl;dr: it'll maybe make it's money back domestically so it technically won't be a flop but it's also nowhere near a runaway success.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I guess the number of screens after this week will determine, though. It won't be a huge hit, but at this rate it will possibly just break the GB2 domestic in about another 11 days if it can hold on that long and stay in the top ten. For comparisons sake, it took GB2 nearly 3 weeks to make about the same amount that GB2016 has made in only 10. My guess is that by next weekend it will break $100M.

True, it's a much different metric of cost, prices, etc. in the last 27 years but if it can break the GB2 domestic that will be quite the feather in the hat of the reboot.

On the other hand GB2's production budget was only a quarter of GB2016's and if you adjust GB2's box office gross for inflation it comes out to about $243m in today's money and GB16 will fall wayyyyyyy short of that.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

steinrokkan posted:

The CineD is pretty much the only place online where people seem to be responding positively at all, and even those clowns tend to inadvertently drat the film with faint praise.

Also I think nobody outside the US + Canada gives a flying gently caress about Ghostbusters in general, so greenlighting it at all was probably a pretty bad move, fiscally.

I liked it as much as the original. It was a movie. I watched it. I remember nothing about it and have no feelings about it either way.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

KiteAuraan posted:

I liked it as much as the original. It was a movie. I watched it. I remember nothing about it and have no feelings about it either way.
so in that sense it was the perfect modern-day movie

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

I'd loving love a remake of The Langoliers

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I wonder if it was Fieg or the studio who cut the dance number and how did Fieg feel about it?

Because I'm reminded of an anecdote about Red Dwarf 10 where there's a big dance number and everyone loving hated it but the cast and crew involved put their hearts and souls into it and they were kinda crushed that people reacted to it so poorly.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

KiteAuraan posted:

what.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

KiteAuraan posted:

You sound like a fun guy

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

President of the neutral planet weighs in

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I don't really care for Ghostbusters. It's okay, I don't dislike it, but I don't really "get" it.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I like the original Ghosbusters and I won't be seeing the new Ghostbusters in theaters because it doesn't look very good or interesting.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Reboot Willow. Have generic techno-metal blasting and those speed-up-slow-down bits during the entirety of every fight. Throw in as much swearing as PG-13 will let you get away with. (I think that's one gently caress, a couple shits, a few damns and probably handful of dicks.) Make all of the supernatural elements clearly the result of sleight-of-hand and stage magic and doggedly point out that the queen is an illegitimate ruler so we can hopefully squeeze this one into China with minimal effort. Oh yeah, instead of played out hobbits or whatever, the heroes are just a couple bland white actors with fake accents. Sorcia needs gigantic tits and no speaking parts.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pvt.Scott posted:

Reboot Willow. Have generic techno-metal blasting and those speed-up-slow-down bits during the entirety of every fight. Throw in as much swearing as PG-13 will let you get away with. (I think that's one gently caress, a couple shits, a few damns and probably handful of dicks.) Make all of the supernatural elements clearly the result of sleight-of-hand and stage magic and doggedly point out that the queen is an illegitimate ruler so we can hopefully squeeze this one into China with minimal effort. Oh yeah, instead of played out hobbits or whatever, the heroes are just a couple bland white actors with fake accents. Sorcia needs gigantic tits and no speaking parts.

Warwick Davis will play a random homeless man who dies without speaking a single line.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Gender-flipped Apollo 13 Reboot

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Klyith posted:

Gender-flipped Apollo 13 Reboot

Artemis 13??

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013