Total: 1977 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

  • Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

V. Illych L. posted:

toxic_masculinity.txt

yeah people have gone to jail to uphold that out of principle as well.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Disinterested posted:

who cares about snowden or his personal characteristics

honestly i don't even care about him, this the wikileaks taking info from russians is clearly unrelated to him

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I don't think it's bonkers to say that if you're going to do something you should be willing to accept the known consequences. And, ironically, make it harder for you to ever be pardoned in the first place.

why? a group of guerillias pulling of an ambush on an enemy column and then, their objective achieved, running away to avoid being obliterated are not cowards

you're saying that he's a coward for not going to jail for literally no reason

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

which is, uh, insane

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

sudo rm -rf posted:

yeah you're definitely wrong about this, the email you're referring to was just mocking trump. look at the email's date - may 6th

trump did his cinco de mayo taco bowl tweet the day before.

I wonder if Volk knows the relation between May 6th and 'Cinco de Mayo'

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

V. Illych L. posted:

why? a group of guerillias pulling of an ambush on an enemy column and then, their objective achieved, running away to avoid being obliterated are not cowards

you're saying that he's a coward for not going to jail for literally no reason

those are completely different situations. also he would have reason. he loving broke the law, like it or not.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My b Tess I thought you were being for real cuz I k ow people who really do think that sorry bro

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
chicken strips are so good. man I'm hungry

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The context is blatantly loving obvious.

Quote the context?

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
ever since I started running I feel like I've been constantly hungry

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

those are completely different situations. also he would have reason. he loving broke the law, like it or not.

no they are not. they are analogous in that they both involve people pulling off an action and then refusing to take "the consequences" of said action, and though obviously in one case it's an unknown fate in the US system and in the other it's certain death to bombardment that's a difference in degree, not in kind

the guerrillas are also breaking the law, in a much more spectacular fashion than anything snowden did

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Aeryk posted:

chicken strips are so good. man I'm hungry

Have a Hungry Man

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

V. Illych L. posted:

why? a group of guerillias pulling of an ambush on an enemy column and then, their objective achieved, running away to avoid being obliterated are not cowards

you're saying that he's a coward for not going to jail for literally no reason

running away undermined his overall point, and he chose to anyways. he could've defended himself in court and people would've followed the story and he would've been a martyr. instead he did the whistleblowing equivalent of shitposting. you say "literally no reason," but the reason is the exact same one that he felt was important enough to whistleblow over in the first place. if that's not a reason worth going to jail for, then obviously it's not a significant thing, and he had other reasons for releasing the stuff.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Arrgytehpirate posted:

My b Tess I thought you were being for real cuz I k ow people who really do think that sorry bro

Yeah I was making fun of them. The whole phrase completely shits on "those who would give up an essential liberty to gain some temporary security deserves neither."

It may not be 1984 levels but it's some serious panopticon poo poo.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

paranoid randroid posted:

edward, come, we go to eurotrash club to sniff dope and get assaulted by Swedish House Mafia remixes of show tunes. harasho.

basically but more importantly he's on tight surveillance and gets regularly bandied about onto russian media to talk about how the US is bad, russia good and then putin turns to the camera like this

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

V. Illych L. posted:

no they are not. they are analogous in that they both involve people pulling off an action and then refusing to take "the consequences" of said action, and though obviously in one case it's an unknown fate in the US system and in the other it's certain death to bombardment that's a difference in degree, not in kind

except your missing the context of one being an illegal action that you knew the consequences to when you did the thing

they're not at all alike.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
you want to see real surveillance state? come, i show you real surveillance state

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

except your missing the context of one being an illegal action that you knew the consequences to when you did the thing

they're not at all alike.

what are you even arguing here

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gravel Gravy posted:

Quote the context?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/728297587418247168

For the record, those bowls are not available in Trump Tower. It was made especially for this photo op as they're no longer on the menu.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
that is the best gif

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

except your missing the context of one being an illegal action that you knew the consequences to when you did the thing

they're not at all alike.

exactly. if it was worth the crime, it was worth the time.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
i think the point is just that if we're going to laud snowden as a moral hero we have a right to expect him to actually behave heroically

if you don't have that expectation of him, well, easier conversation

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

he didn't have a whole lot of options but the one he basically ended being dealt with was probably one of the more existentially questionable ones next to you know actually being locked up in the us i guess

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

going into exile at the mercy of putin of all people is absolutely a consequence of one's action

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Tesseraction posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/728297587418247168

For the record, those bowls are not available in Trump Tower. It was made especially for this photo op as they're no longer on the menu.

Yeah i know this but I meant the references in the DNC emails

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

V. Illych L. posted:

what are you even arguing here

he broke the goddamn law and knew he was doing it, then ran away. like he wasn't even facing deathly consequences.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I don't think we should lionise him but I do think he did a good thing by exposing the depth of surveillence.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Volkerball posted:

exactly. if it was worth the crime, it was worth the time.

this is a very perverse attitude

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
what snowden did was probably correct but i tend to view getting exiled to putins back pocket kind of hilarious in a twilight zone kind of way

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Yeah i know this but I meant the references in the DNC emails

they were doing it like the day after that

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

V. Illych L. posted:

going into exile at the mercy of putin of all people is absolutely a consequence of one's action

a consequence of being pathetic.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Tesseraction posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/728297587418247168

For the record, those bowls are not available in Trump Tower. It was made especially for this photo op as they're no longer on the menu.

this was hilariously actually debunked after the buzzfeed writer wrote it, he called the wrong trump tower cafe it turned out later

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Disinterested posted:

i think the point is just that if we're going to laud snowden as a moral hero we have a right to expect him to actually behave heroically

if you don't have that expectation of him, well, easier conversation

He did a heroic act then went into self preservation mode. What would have been accomplished from him going to jail?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

V. Illych L. posted:

this is a very perverse attitude

for the record, i don't have a problem with him actually leaking the information. i have a problem with everything he did after that. which is different from vb's point.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gravel Gravy posted:

Yeah i know this but I meant the references in the DNC emails

https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/5492

quote:

From:ChristopherR@dnc.org
To: ChristopherR@dnc.org, Video-Vetting_d@dnc.org
Date: 2016-05-06 19:18
Subject: Re: New video: Trump isn't trying to bring people together

Sorry to bother — does this script look good? Thank you all!

From: Rebecca Christopher <christopherr@dnc.org<mailto:christopherr@dnc.org>>
Date: Friday, May 6, 2016 at 3:59 PM
To: Video-Vetting_d <Video-Vetting_d@dnc.org<mailto:Video-Vetting_d@dnc.org>>

Hi everyone,

Attached is a script for a new video we’d like to use to mop up some more taco bowl engagement, and demonstrate the Trump actually isn’t trying.

Let me know if you have any flags and thank you!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Disinterested posted:

i think the point is just that if we're going to laud snowden as a moral hero we have a right to expect him to actually behave heroically

if you don't have that expectation of him, well, easier conversation

basically this

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

this was hilariously actually debunked after the buzzfeed writer wrote it, he called the wrong trump tower cafe it turned out later

hah, fair enough

bloody buzzfeed

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Arrgytehpirate posted:

He did a heroic act then went into self preservation mode. What would have been accomplished from him going to jail?

he would've looked serious and of strong moral character. instead he looked like a shitposter.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

V. Illych L. posted:

going into exile at the mercy of putin of all people is absolutely a consequence of one's action

that isn't the way people treat that

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

he broke the goddamn law and knew he was doing it, then ran away. like he wasn't even facing deathly consequences.

influential people were openly calling for trying him for treason & the death penalty, it is not unreasonable of him to fear such

in any event, i'm not arguing that snowden is a paragon of courage or anything, merely that he is not a "coward"

  • Locked thread