Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Brawnfire posted:

Another terrible one was when all my HS friends were all in town for an alumni function, and it was suggested I fire up the grill and make some food for after.

I get beer, I get food, I build a fire and start the grill around a few minutes before I expect people to show up.

One thing that has been annoying the hell out of me ever since I got a decent grill is when you invite people over, if you say "I'll have a small amount of burgers and sausages etc for the grill but please bring other things if you're going to eat", where "other things" includes beer, more meat, chips, whatever. The majority of people stop reading after they see that you will be supplying some things and show up empty handed saying "oh I won't eat much", and guess what, they sneak-eat a fuckload and we run out of stuff before everyone gets to have something.

I've had to start saying it's entirely "bring your own poo poo" - if you don't bring something to cook there will be nothing here for you. People still do it though. I hate freeloaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I get it, but, "make sure you bring your own food" is not a usual component of being invited to dinner.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

docbeard posted:

I get it, but, "make sure you bring your own food" is not a usual component of being invited to dinner.

It's not a dinner really, it's a barbeque - bringing your own stuff (in addition to the basics that the host provides, which I always would do even when I say I'm not supplying anything) for the grill is very common at least most barbeques that I've been to. Buying enough meat and sides and beer for 10+ people is expensive on your own, especially if you have to cater to different tastes like someone who wants seafood, vegetarians, etc.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 15:55 on Jul 25, 2016

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

docbeard posted:

It's actually a pretty normal thing because then the host isn't burdened with all of the costs and everyone gets to eat something they actually want to eat

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah, I get where that's coming from. BBQs, in my area, are usually potluck or pass-a-dish sort of functions where the burgers dogs and brats are there the spine. You usually got people bringing awful pasta salads, creamy fruit abominations, and racks of cheap Genesee beer.

Other areas may vary, but my local friends who come empty-handed to these things are really stretching the "ignorant of the law" defense.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

docbeard posted:

This is called a "potluck" :ssh:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I had a BBQ earlier this year and I made a Facebook page and most people rsvped on this. I made a post stating that I had the meat and non-alcoholic beverages covered and that everyone should bring a side dish, and post what they were bringing so we didn't get duplicates. 3 of the 20 guests posted a reply and of course we then ended up with 15 bags of chips.

Also, gently caress anyone who just clicks maybe as an RSVP and says nothing else. Maybe is not an RSVP.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Master Twig posted:

Also, gently caress anyone who just clicks maybe as an RSVP and says nothing else. Maybe is not an RSVP.

Seriously, this. Maybe is "I am aware of this event as of the moment I'm looking at the event page!" Maybe they forgot about it seconds later, you don't know.

One would think a universally-accessible, real-time multi-person communication platform would make planning easier...

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

For facebook events "maybe"s can be 99% of the time filed in the "no" category. It means they want you to think they want to come but most definitely aren't going to. It's like telling someone "I'll think about it" when they ask if you want to do something in person. It's a less harsh "no".

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Murphy Brownback posted:

For facebook events "maybe"s can be 99% of the time filed in the "no" category. It means they want you to think they want to come but most definitely aren't going to. It's like telling someone "I'll think about it" when they ask if you want to do something in person. It's a less harsh "no".

That's usually right, but sometimes I am genuinely interested in something but have a potential conflict, and I really don't want to say yes and then flake (flaky people are my biggest peeve.

Of course, now Facebook has removed harsh no's altogether by replacing it with Can't Go.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I kind of agree. I don't mind if someone says to bring your own food but out of me and most barbecues I've been to the host always provides all of the meat, yiu might bring something like drinks or sides but never your own meat unless you have some kind of allergy or something.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I kind of agree. I don't mind if someone says to bring your own food but out of me and most barbecues I've been to the host always provides all of the meat, yiu might bring something like drinks or sides but never your own meat unless you have some kind of allergy or something.

If it were hosted by someone making non-slave wages I'd agree that's not a big deal, but I'm just a postdoc, I'm not rich. Also most of my colleagues are finnicky vegans and I don't know what the hell they want to eat so I'd rather just have them bring what they want to eat.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Ten Becquerels posted:

Any time someone says 'oh we have plenty of time' to get somewhere by a certain time and then proceeds to gently caress around until we very much don't have plenty of time. I was at a friend's house over the weekend, and I had to get to the airport at around 3:30 to catch a flight. I am already nervous about any form of appointment and making sure I get there on time, but flights are the worst because I live in terror of being stuck somewhere. I appreciate that he was taking time out of his day to drive me to the airport, but he'd committed to do so two days ago, yet by the time he was done loving around and we left, it was 20 to 4. When I got there, they'd just closed the flight and I only got to check in because the ground staff took pity on me. The whole time I was waiting to leave I was getting more and more stressed about it, I'd already pointedly put my shoes on and kept saying we should really get going, but nope we got plenty of time just chill.

This is why I refuse to travel with other people. I'll travel and meet friends (old or new) when I get there. Someone causing me to miss a flight is grounds for friendship termination.

quote:

-People walking their dogs off leash and just yelling 'Oh don't worry he/she's friendly' at me after their dog comes charging up to me.

Person: "Don't worry, she's friendly!"
Me: *gets trampled to death by friendly dog*
Person: "Aw, she likes you! :downs: "

Murphy Brownback posted:

I recently RSVPed maybe to a location-less Facebook event created by someone who lives far away. When she updated the location and I saw that it wasn't in her prohibitively remote hometown, I RSVPed "yes." This is, in my humble opinion, one of the only ways the "maybe" option should be used.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Murphy Brownback posted:

It's not a dinner really, it's a barbeque - bringing your own stuff (in addition to the basics that the host provides, which I always would do even when I say I'm not supplying anything) for the grill is very common at least most barbeques that I've been to. Buying enough meat and sides and beer for 10+ people is expensive on your own, especially if you have to cater to different tastes like someone who wants seafood, vegetarians, etc.

I did say I get it, and lord knows if I were to host a barbecue (which, hahahahaha no for so many reasons) I'd likely do the same, not being made of money and all. I just get how people might gloss over the "hey, bring some stuff of your own to eat" part without them necessarily being cheapskates.

Then again, I don't really like large (and by 'large' I mean 'more than 3-4 people') social gatherings to begin with, so possibly don't take me seriously.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

All you have to do is bring a 6 or 12 pack of beer literally nobody complains about those and it requires no prep work.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Who uses facebook invites for anything other than promoting MLMs or "drop parties" for people trying to be the next big hiphop star?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Who uses facebook invites for anything other than promoting MLMs or "drop parties" for people trying to be the next big hiphop star?

Literally any event I've ever hosted with more than a handful of people? Also every party I've been invited to by someone under 40 in the past 8 years.

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 22:40 on Jul 25, 2016

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Where is this place where no one brings food to a cookout? Every one I've been to, there's been enough baked beans, deviled eggs, and macaroni salad for all the people everywhere. Late? Showing up uninvited? Bring MORE food. Hell, proper etiquette means when in doubt, bring food.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Posted in another thread but bears repeating - when management at a job decides to make changes that make peoples' jobs more difficult, and suck the fun out of the workplace.

Recently my job (IT MSP) decided to make some changes to how we bring on clients - we're supposed to have a 30 day window to get access to their building, go through the office, document hardware/software/licensing/etc. so we're ready to go when the client starts submitting tickets. Also helps us look at their existing infrastructure to plan for future upgrades/changes and see what is/isn't supported. Usually 30 days is plenty of time and keeps us from any unnecessary work and headache later. Apparently management decided they WANT MONEY RIGHT loving NOW from all our new clients, so our whole onboarding process for a good chunk of new clients was cut to 2 weeks. Meanwhile, because of that change, our onboarding isn't getting finished in 30 days because, surprise surprise, it's kinda difficult to onboard a client AND take care of their minor issues on top of it, because everyone and their mother is pulling us away from doing onboarding to set up new PCs or install software or whatever other bullshit.

Of course, management treats it like we're not managing our time properly, and blames engineers when work doesn't get done because of management incompetence. That's just the start though!

All our usual quarterly events that we used to have are either getting scrapped or changed entirely - most recently we found out our typical end of summer pre-Labor Day "tailgate" party is being scrapped moving forward. Basically we set up our parking lot and office with video games, table games, a big outdoor grill with a bunch of food, bounce houses, and all sorts of other cool poo poo for our clients and employees so everyone could have fun. Management decided to kill that in favor of "quarterly golf outings" - and I found out today that the ONLY way you can attend the golf outing is IF YOU ACTUALLY PLAY. No, not a joke - you can't just putter around driving a cart for your group, you can't be a caddie for someone, you can't just hang out - you HAVE to play, or you can't go. Way to exclude like 1/3 of the company who don't play golf and enjoyed the tailgate party we no longer have! :downsbravo:

Can't loving wait to get out of this place, it's a complete 180 from how they used to be even a short year ago.

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Aug 2, 2016

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Our management, who works in a different building and visits once a month, likes to make inane, unworkable changes to things for no reason. The most recent was taking out the donation box from the front desk and replacing it with some anonymous donation forms, which involves writing your credit card info on a piece of paper and giving it to the staff, who then have to hand-deliver it to management via shuttle. This was then followed up by an email asking us if we'd put the forms out (we had), because the donations had dropped to nil.

I WONDER WHY.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Ten Becquerels posted:

-People walking their dogs off leash and just yelling 'Oh don't worry he/she's friendly' at me after their dog comes charging up to me. Same people who say they can control their dogs, but just end up yelling ineffectually while their dog runs off into the road or some poo poo.

My dog is NOT friendly. This is why I walk him on leash in designated on leash areas. I still get these idiots. Then as I'm holding my dog back as he is actively trying to eat the off leash dog they always make the "aww he wants to play!" comment. No he doesn't. He wants to destroy little fluffy there. Get moving.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic

YeahTubaMike posted:

This is why I refuse to travel with other people. I'll travel and meet friends (old or new) when I get there. Someone causing me to miss a flight is grounds for friendship termination.

The best part is when the same people will say that being a little early for an appointment/flight is bad because 'you'll just end up having to sit around waiting'. I don't mind waiting, if I know I'll probably have to wait for a little while I bring a book or something and holy poo poo, waiting is now somewhat pleasant. I don't get why waiting is such a horrible thing, especially nowadays when most people have phones to gently caress around with in the interim and the tradeoff is avoiding stress. If you're over the age of 12, sitting quietly for a little while and entertaining yourself is something you should be able to do.

Although going to the doctor is still a pain, even if I get the first appointment of the day with my GP she's still 15-30 minutes late for some reason. I can understand it later in the day when you've probably had patients who need/want more time spent with them, or if stuff suddenly comes up - my psychiatrist occasionally has to run out to deal with an inpatient doing something, but she tells me about it and gives an estimate of when she'll be back. I don't know what the gently caress the point of having appointment times is if you're just going to ignore them, and any money says that the one day I think it's fine that I'm a couple minutes late for whatever reason is the one day they're going to be on time and just ditch my appointment.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

My dog is NOT friendly. This is why I walk him on leash in designated on leash areas. I still get these idiots. Then as I'm holding my dog back as he is actively trying to eat the off leash dog they always make the "aww he wants to play!" comment. No he doesn't. He wants to destroy little fluffy there. Get moving.

This as well. Even if you (think you) know how your dog is going to behave in any given situation, you probably have no earthly loving clue about what another person or their dog will do. Their dog might be friendly, but it also might be nervous of other dogs or outright aggressive towards other dogs. My dog is nervous around other dogs, and every time I feel like he's getting better due to having positive encounters with other dogs, some mutt several times his size comes dashing up to him and he freezes and silently freaks out, and all that work is undone.

There needs to be more enforcement of leash laws, even having a guy in the park on a few random days would probably catch a bunch of people. Having a sign that says you could be fined if you get caught does jack poo poo. Or I dunno, put up big billboards with pictures of dogs that have been run over or mauled by another dog. It works for cigarettes, maybe it'll work for getting people to control their loving pets.

Ten Becquerels has a new favorite as of 05:04 on Jul 26, 2016

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I really hate the dumb designer mutt thing thats going around. No your ~labradoodle~ and ~maltipoo~ are not actual breeds.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
The trend is spreading from cutesy toy dogs to other mixes as well. Soon there will be no mutts, only Golden Malachomondor Pointers.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
My roommates dog is the calmest, most chill dog I have ever known. On a walk he would not leave my side, would not run off, and would not charge at people or other dogs. He is very friendly and him hurting anyone seems nearly impossible.

I always have him on a leash during walks. Always.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

When I grew up, nearly every dog we owned was hit by a car at least once, because they got outside by accident off-leash, and we lived in front of a decently busy road. Most of them survived the experience (though coming home from Cub Scouts when I was like ten to "sorry, your dog just died" is not my favorite childhood memory ever).

So yeah. Don't have dogs at the moment, but when we do again, those fuckers aren't going outside without a leash and if necessary a secondary grappling hook.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I really hate public toilets where the toilet water is super loving high and your tampon string ends up getting soggy and nasty from getting dipped so you gotta take it out because you're just thinking how all the nasty pissbowl water is creeping up the string into your vagina.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Wedemeyer posted:

I really hate public toilets where the toilet water is super loving high and your tampon string ends up getting soggy and nasty from getting dipped so you gotta take it out because you're just thinking how all the nasty pissbowl water is creeping up the string into your vagina.

Tuck the string in around the lips. Or switch to diva cups. Or join the iud club and never have to worry about period again (until you take it out or if you're unlucky and still get them)

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Sociopastry posted:

Tuck the string in around the lips. Or switch to diva cups. Or join the iud club and never have to worry about period again (until you take it out or if you're unlucky and still get them)

Hormonal IUD club, to be clear. Those of us who went copper still get blood. So much blood.

But yeah, menstrual cups are where it's at.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I got this email this morning:

and I was confused. I always pay off my credit cards each month, and I hadn't used that card in over a year. Had I overpaid my last bill (by $750??)? I checked my account and saw, no, that's just my credit limit. Whew.

Except, WTF is this. I don't have $750 available to spend -- I have the opportunity to incur a $750 debt. Almost 40% of Americans have credit card debt and among them the average amount owed is around $16,000, and here's this company actively encouraging its customers to rack up more by sending them a misleading email.

The only other credit card I use is issued by my credit union, so maybe this is a common practice among independent companies that I hadn't encountered before, but at any rate, that's some unethical bullshit.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

They're just doing their job - trying to get customers to use their card and make them money. I don't see anything unethical. When something says "you have _____" followed immediately by an asterisk, you know conditions apply - like "spend 3000 dollars in the next month and get 750 dollars cash back!" or whatever - you left out what the asterisk says so I don't know what this specific one was. The last thing I would think is "hey, 750 free dollars to spend".

Even if they meant it that way, it's not exactly deceptive to say "you know that credit card you have? It still works, go ahead and use it if you want".

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Rabbit Hill posted:

maybe this is a common practice among independent companies that I hadn't encountered before

You mean "engaging in predatory lending behaviors?"

Yes, stuff like that is common practice. You somehow picked the tamest example possible, but they all do it, and they do far worse than sending you a letter to remind you that you can use your card if you choose to.

My (former) credit union, for instance, ran a big promotion right after the area saw tons of flooding. "RELIEF IS AVAILABLE! We can get you the money you need to rebuild your home," superimposed over an American flag.

"Cool," thinks the devastated homeowner whose poo poo got wrecked, "the bank can help me apply for some of that federal disaster relief I read about."

NOPE! What they're oh-so-willing to do for you, the valued client, is offer a secured short-term loan with an above-market interest rate (but only if you pay the nonrefundable application fee and pass background and credit checks).

Of course, the bank would say "Well duh we're a bank why would you think we were talking about anything other than lending you money," but preying on disaster victims is skeezy as gently caress.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Oh for sure, this was really tame and nothing comparable to the really lovely practices banks will pull. I was just kind of incensed at the way the email was trying to reframe a credit limit as money you already have and thus profit off of suckers with poor money management skills. But I get that's how they do their business.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
"What do you want to eat?"

"I don't care, you pick."

"OK, (place)."

"Ew gross I don't want that."

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Xun posted:

I really hate the dumb designer mutt thing thats going around. No your ~labradoodle~ and ~maltipoo~ are not actual breeds.

I have Standard Poodles. I use them as Service Dogs, precisely because they are smart and generally healthy. My current main worker just turned 14 and isn't ready for retirement.

When people see us out and about, we get the usual "What kind of dog is that?". Nowadays, though, we get a lot of "Is that a (insert breed name here) doodle?"

No, She's a purebred.

"But purebreds aren't healthy!"

We test for every genetic disorder we can, and don't breed anything that doesn't have good joints. We run programs to see how closely bred the dogs are, making sure to add in outcrosses to add genetic diversity.

"Cool! So how much are they?"

The puppies start at $2000.

"That's too much money. I'll go to the pound and get a mutt. They're healthier anyway."

So you'd rather have a dog with an unknown background, with no idea of what health issues might crop up.

"Mutts are healthy."

:commissar:

Seriously, check into the dog's background to avoid heartache down the road. Case in point: Our friend's husky got pregnant by his ex-girlfriend's German shepherd. The husky has a nasty disposition, and the shepherd has such awful hips he can barely walk. He also has a bad bite and should have been neutered years ago. The puppies may be cute, but they're pretty much doomed to a life of misery. His ex is the kind that leaves animals behind when she meets a new guy, another thing I despise. There's a place in Hell for people who are so flippant in regards to animals' welfare.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

"What do you want to eat?"

"I don't care, you pick."

"OK, (place)."

"Ew gross I don't want that."

Have you been spying on me and my mother every time I come back to visit and I try and decide where to go for dinner?

Even worse is when they say "ok sure" and then spend the whole time there complaining how they always hate it here and why did we have to come here etc.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Khazar-khum posted:

So you'd rather have a dog with an unknown background, with no idea of what health issues might crop up.

I have spent well into five figures over the past four years fixing undiagnosed and untreated medical issues with my shelter dog.

My dog from a breeder I've had since he was a puppy goes to the vet once a year for routine yearly vaccinations.

I am absolutely getting my next dog from a breeder and spending the couple thousand up front to know exactly what I'm getting health-wise to save myself tens of thousands of dollars later and people act like I'm personally murdering a shelter dog when I say that. I actually do things with my dogs besides having them act as sentient throw pillows so having a structurally sound dog is important to me. The day a shelter lets me take out a dog on the contingency it passes a health check by my vet (like taking a used car to a mechanic before finalizing the sale) is when I will consider getting another secondhand dog.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I have spent well into five figures over the past four years fixing undiagnosed and untreated medical issues with my shelter dog.

My dog from a breeder I've had since he was a puppy goes to the vet once a year for routine yearly vaccinations.

I am absolutely getting my next dog from a breeder and spending the couple thousand up front to know exactly what I'm getting health-wise to save myself tens of thousands of dollars later and people act like I'm personally murdering a shelter dog when I say that. I actually do things with my dogs besides having them act as sentient throw pillows so having a structurally sound dog is important to me. The day a shelter lets me take out a dog on the contingency it passes a health check by my vet (like taking a used car to a mechanic before finalizing the sale) is when I will consider getting another secondhand dog.

The way you talk about animals is weird.

(Not you, Khazar-khum)

Along the lines of the credit card debt masquerading as cash, I also hate marketing language that treats a coupon like cash, except it has strings attached. A coupon CAN be like cash, like when Target gives you a gift card and you can take your card and buy anything you want, and supplement the value if needed. But if I get an email that says "Here's $10, Just For You!" I don't want to open it and find out I have to spend $30. That's not $10; at best, it's 33.3 percent off, World Market!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

MasBrillante posted:

The way you talk about animals is weird.

(Not you, Khazar-khum)

e: nevermind, I think I get what you were trying to say now.

Anyway, I think buying purebreds is fine as long as you actually need/want the specific things that breed gets you. Like obviously for working dogs it really matters, or if you need one of the more "hypoallergenic" breeds, by all means get a purebred. If you just want a family pet then there's nothing wrong with a shelter dog. Yeah you might end up with a huge vet bill, but for every "lemon" shelter dog there are probably 10 that live happy healthy lives.

My main "pet peeve" about pets is people who are very strongly anti-neutering/spaying. I see this a lot in Europe - if you neuter your dog people seem to think you're a monster. I know they don't have to deal with the pet overpopulation problem as much as the US, but I still think if you don't want your dog to breed, it's perfectly fine to make it so they can't. You aren't destroying their masculinity or whatever, it's just a routine operation. Also I don't like looking at dog balls.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 16:14 on Jul 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People get a lot of poo poo for anthropomorphizing their dogs by talking to them and calling them their "babies" but that's far less insidious to me than the people who assign human motivations and dreams to their dogs. Neutering is of course the prime example. He'll be emasculated! Uh, masculinity is a human social construction