Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Then why are you in the SFV thread?

Cause I'm salty that I got tricked into expecting a good fighting game from SFV and it turned out to be a piece of poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I wonder what Ibuki played like before they blatantly gutted her aerial kite move, as well as her kunai's.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Jack Trades posted:

Cause I'm salty that I got tricked into expecting a good fighting game from SFV and it turned out to be a piece of poo.

I broke my Capcom mantra for SF and boy do i feel like an idiot.

My mantra is, "Never buy a capcom game cause they're poo poo."

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
But dragons dogma and monhun tia

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Pomp posted:

But dragons dogma and monhun tia

monster hunter seems cool because they take the things that work from the old games and the stuff that makes those games fun and reincorporate them into the new games. they also seem to be pretty consistently received by their fanbase.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
If I'm playing Ryu, how reliable can you get with anti-airing with a crush counter HK into dp? Obviously that's more damage than just dp, but is it able to be done consistently enough to try to mostly do that if they are at the proper range?

Does it only depend on when Ryu kicks and where he is in the animation or does it also depend on when they hit their attack (obviously there's no counter if they empty jump, but let's assume they always attack)

Any visual recommendations on where I want to try and hit them to make it crush?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Stefan Prodan posted:

If I'm playing Ryu, how reliable can you get with anti-airing with a crush counter HK into dp? Obviously that's more damage than just dp, but is it able to be done consistently enough to try to mostly do that if they are at the proper range?

Does it only depend on when Ryu kicks and where he is in the animation or does it also depend on when they hit their attack (obviously there's no counter if they empty jump, but let's assume they always attack)

Any visual recommendations on where I want to try and hit them to make it crush?

Get within cross-up jumping distance from the bot. Then do one back dash away from the bot. That right there should be about the distance you can reliably use st.HK to anti-air crush counter iirc.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Is it more about distance or timing?

Like, I assumed that if you could hit them at all, it was possible to crush but then it depended on timing, is that right?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

played a few more matches today. rage quitters abound and there's still no way to message taunts to them in game

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Stefan Prodan posted:

I wouldn't rely on it honestly. The potential is there yes but too much risk in it as if you botch it you are eating the full jumpin. If you already got the sure thing just take it with MP dp. Vega can do much the same thing with his st.hk and generally I just go for cr.hp as its much more reliable.

Markzillla
Aug 31, 2001

Zand posted:

they were made for sf2 in fact

cool video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q0s8eny3SY

Blanka's gonna bonk ya! My greatest fear :(

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Markzillla posted:

Blanka's gonna bonk ya! My greatest fear :(

There's at least one person out there that got bonked by Blanka. Because Laura exists.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Ah, yes. Chun-Li and Ken with the ninja moves and Ryu with the kung fu one-two

ZWZ
May 6, 2007

Homerun
I wish there was a diff SFV slag thread so new players didn't have to get bombarded with garbage the second they post in here. Street fighter is a gateway game to other fighting games like it or not and I really doubt people that are brand new to fighting games will instantly move on to xrd or kof after being told they are too dumb to realize this game is poo poo because of input lag or whatever.

That being said Revelator owns, play it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Gateway game Street Fighter that has literally nothing that would appeal to a casual player.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Gateway game Street Fighter that has literally nothing that would appeal to a casual player.

Tits and rear end?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

street fighter ii ce:

street fighter v:

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

rise up (in age, over a period of time)

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

Except for being way more accessible than every other fighting game out.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Fellblade posted:

except as has been stated several times right here and expounded upon and further explained and insightfully motivated, its really not

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Insightfully explained by people who are long time fighting game players with intricate knowledge of the systems and mechanics involved.

Not by the people who are actually relevant, new players.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Fellblade posted:

It's too early in the morning for sarcasm.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

what about divekick

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Fellblade posted:

if im joe Q casual and I get blown up by The Shimmy Throw Meta or laura gimmicks nothing in the game tells me what the gently caress just happened and why I got wrecked, I have to go online and do homework

xrd revelator has an entire part of its lengthy tutorial that exists to teach you how to beat common tactics for every character

if im joe Q casual and just play fighting games for fun and don't ever care about getting better and just wanna mash with my equally uninterested friends, In SF5 I have to learn all kinds of Finger Puzzles to do anything besides the SNES classic of jump roundhouse -> sweep and maybe a fireball if I'm feeling myself and there's no real content to unlock and scratch that skinner box itch besides going through the god awful survival mode or F2P stuff

xrd has multiple training wheels, with both a simple babby mode that actually feels pretty good and isn't just "you can flash kick w/ one button" or locks out half your moves where you can still do most of the strategy/thinking parts of fighting games. it also has an entire mode with rpg level ups and gear that lets you give yourself wacky new special moves via smash bros inputs, a mode that you can also play against other people online. plus, fishing to unlock tons of music and stuff with in-game mone

revelator is even more accessible in terms of people being able to access it, because it has a ps3 version

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Brosnan posted:

Street Fighter moves a lot slower than any other FG so it "feels" more learnable for newer players than other games.

Xrd is infinitely better about teaching you how it works, and it's also a way better and more fun game, but purely in terms of digesting what's happening and not being overloaded with visual information, it looks scary as poo poo compared to SFV.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
In terms of casual appeal, I would say Injustice was the fighting game that was easiest to get my non-fighting game friends interested in.

-One of the biggest brands with the most recognizable cast of characters on the face of the planet. Everyone knows Superman, no one knows who the gently caress Charles Nash is.
-Content casual players care about (single player offline stuff, cinematic story mode, challenges, arcade, unlockables)
-A layout/commands that don't make you feel like you need to go buy a stick, something people do not own
-'Feel-good' visuals like smashing someone with a motorcycle or punching someone through the moon that are literally only one/two buttons which stay the same on every character instead of ~~FINGER PUZZLING~~ out a grab that just looks like a normal-rear end throw

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
It's about getting people to even play the thing in the first place. People will learn when they care, not learn the game before they can care or enjoy it.

The vast majority of new people who play the game are poo poo, nobody is going to encounter Laura gimmicks or 'shimmy meta', they are going to do raw tatsus at full screen and fail at doing a qcf 60% of the time.

Compare the following:

- A guy who punches or kicks people, a woman who punches and kicks people, a boxer who punches people. If you press punch you get a punch, if you press kick you get a kick. Not to mention the fact that unless you have lived under a rock for the past 30 years, you probably already know what moves the character can do.

- A giant bed, a man with some shadow poo poo that is a shark or demon or actually it's him, a guy who puts balls all over the screen and pokes then with a stick, a brown paper bag man who throws random stuff at you and various teleporting poo poo that requires prior knowledge to understand. All of whom attack with varying degrees of random appendages outside of fists and feet.

Which of those is more accessible to somebody who hasn't played a recent fighting game?

It blows my mind how some of you seem to think people are born into the world knowing, or more importantly caring, anything about a niche genre like 2D fighting games.

Street Fighter V makes everything easier that a new player cares about. Not what they need to know to be good or competitive, what they care about. That's how you get somebody invested in a game.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I think the need for sticks is a problem, theyre expensive as hell and used for a tiny number of games. If I wanted to play revelator, I would have to buy a ps4, the game, and a big ol stick on top of that that I would only use for GG. Say what you will about MKX but at least its totally playable with controllers, which I think is a big deal. Maybe the same could be said for smash, though you still have to buy an extra controller these days.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Fellblade posted:

It's about getting people to even play the thing in the first place. People will learn when they care, not learn the game before they can care or enjoy it.

The vast majority of new people who play the game are poo poo, nobody is going to encounter Laura gimmicks or 'shimmy meta', they are going to do raw tatsus at full screen and fail at doing a qcf 60% of the time.

Compare the following:

- A guy who punches or kicks people, a woman who punches and kicks people, a boxer who punches people. If you press punch you get a punch, if you press kick you get a kick. Not to mention the fact that unless you have lived under a rock for the past 30 years, you probably already know what moves the character can do.

- A giant bed, a man with some shadow poo poo that is a shark or demon or actually it's him, a guy who puts balls all over the screen and pokes then with a stick, a brown paper bag man who throws random stuff at you and various teleporting poo poo that requires prior knowledge to understand. All of whom attack with varying degrees of random appendages outside of fists and feet.

Which of those is more accessible to somebody who hasn't played a recent fighting game?

It blows my mind how some of you seem to think people are born into the world knowing, or more importantly caring, anything about a niche genre like 2D fighting games.

Street Fighter V makes everything easier that a new player cares about. Not what they need to know to be good or competitive, what they care about. That's how you get somebody invested in a game.

I'd say Tekken or DoA are way better to get people into fighting games, but for similar reasons. Soul Calibur also works well, since it's [i]really[i/] simple to understand the basics.

EDIT: People get extremely frustrated if you're good at counters in DOA. That's half the fun though!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 25, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've never had a problem with Xbox controller so far but I'm only 3000 LP and it might be a limiting thing later I dunno

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Dracula Factory posted:

I think the need for sticks is a problem, theyre expensive as hell and used for a tiny number of games. If I wanted to play revelator, I would have to buy a ps4, the game, and a big ol stick on top of that that I would only use for GG. Say what you will about MKX but at least its totally playable with controllers, which I think is a big deal. Maybe the same could be said for smash, though you still have to buy an extra controller these days.

you entirely don't need a stick for any fighting game at all, really

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dracula Factory posted:

revelator is a 4 button game lol

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Real hurthling! posted:

revelator is a 4 button game lol

does dust not count as a button because it's totally a button

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I mean yeah you can technically play on a controller, but after a few hours of HDR on a playstation controller my thumbs wanted to die and I could still only pull off moves half the time. Most people at tourneys play on stick for a reason, they just feel better for this type of game. And yes there are exceptions but they are just that, just one or two people who use a controller among hundreds of stick players.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's also true of SFV though ?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Dracula Factory posted:

Most people at tourneys play on stick for a reason,

and that reason is because a lot of people have been playing fighting games for quite a while back when fighting games belonged in arcades and stick was the only method of control so they got used to that poo poo

meanwhile, a game series like Tekken which is predominantly popular on consoles seems to have a lot of pad players, apart from Koreans who normally play on stick because they too, play in arcades

Maybe people actually just use what they're used to rather than any inherent superiority of a control method.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fellblade posted:

Compare the following:

The first fighter I ever played was a ASW air dasher (P4A) and it's enormously a better game to get into the series that SFV or IV, from personal experience.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

The first fighting game I ever played since MK2 was Guilty Gear X on Dreamcast specifically because of what you described. Just because you're the most unfathomably boring, milquetoast person imaginable doesn't mean the rest of the population is.

The time gap between SF2 Turbo and Guilty Gear X is smaller than the distance between Guilty Gear X and today. Guilty Gear is not some new kid on the scene with weird gameplay mechanics. It's foundational and fundamental at this point. 8 years vs 16, if you're curious. This is not a new sub-genre of fighter.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 25, 2016

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

darealkooky posted:

revelator is even more accessible in terms of people being able to access it, because it has a ps3 version

no pc so this doesnt count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Fellblade posted:

most casual players do not care about sf5, this is why the game sort of bombed in sales and has about 3.0 user score on metacritic. it is only a comparatively small minority of hardcore players (and if you post in this thread, you are a hardcore player) that extols it's virtues

your complaint about the characters is misguided because A: sf5 has made all the guys look even more like cartoon characters and all the girls sexed up, virtua fighter it is not and B: sf5 looks like crap compared to literally all of its competition besides kof14. If you are scared off by the outlandish character designs of guilty gear and want a game with karate people punching eachother you are going to buy a netherrealm game or the upcoming tekken 7, not a game with child molester ken. GG is for sure a much more niche aesthetic then SF5, but it's also by far the best competitor in that aesthetic while SF5 very much is not so it has the edge.

quote:

I don't understand how you came to a conclusion like this about my post, when I very specifically say that revelator having modes that let you mash buttons to make moves happen and a very throughout tutorial mode to teach you all the poo poo casual players don't know about (instead of just telling you to figure it out yourself like sf5 )are casual drawing features that SF5 does not even attempt to have.

For a fighting game to have appeal to these sort of casual players it needs for button mashing to feel powerful at a low level, a lot of wacky bonus modes and/or characters that let you easily feel powerful without studying combos and frame data and a strong asthetic style that makes the moves feel satisfying to do. SF5 has none of these things.