Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
As much as I prefer this game over tf2, by a huge margin especially now that valve has annihilated much of what made that game fun, I miss the tf2 design philosophy of hitscan always having worse damage than projectiles at anything over close range with the exception of sniper. In OW, at high level of play and even in an ideally balanced dps world, a mcree or soldier will always be better than junkrat or pharah simply due to the fact that hitscan players deal the same amount of damage instantly.

This Isnt to say that pharah and ratman are bad of course, they have incredible mobility and the ability to deal splash damage to targets they can't see, but that's never as good as being able to put a bullet in someone's head the instant you see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

E L I M I N A T E D

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Zoness posted:

lol at anyone who wants non-ult non-headshot instagibs in this game

This already exist though?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Canemacar posted:

I had an experience with this last night. I was standing behind the green roadsign near the garage by point 1 on route 66, when an enemy rein charged past the sign and I got vaccumed out from behind it just in time to get splattered against the payload.

Get this: I was playing Lucio on Route 66, and then I left the game entirely, got up from the computer, went to the gas station down the street, bought some coffee cream and cigarettes, and no sooner did I open my car door than Reinhardt flies out of nowhere and splatters me into it.

Please nerf.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

FaustianQ posted:

This already exist though?

Sort of. Roadhog vs. Tracer can instagib her if all the pellets hit her body at point blank range, but realistically some of those pellets are going to miss and some are going to headshot just about every time.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sort of. Roadhog vs. Tracer can instagib her if all the pellets hit her body at point blank range, but realistically some of those pellets are going to miss and some are going to headshot just about every time.

Roadhog's basic role is to hook tracers and genjis and mediocre pharahs (and other targets of opportunity) and blap them with the one-two combo of shotgun/hook. He's very good at the anti-flank role because he can pull them in close and hit them with a very high damage alpha, and if they don't immediately pop their escape they're stuck with low HP in a very weak situation for them.

Basically Roadhog being able to instagib a flanker is what he's supposed to do.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm not convinced she needs it, but what about a D.Va nerf that makes her shield cooldown last longer if it gets completely drained? And give it an audible 'Shield recharging!' or angry boop sound when it happens so the other team knows to attack. IE, if shield charge is completely used up make it charge to halfway before she can use it again at all.

Reacean posted:

Dva still rezzes without her mech so there are many situations where she is still much worse to have than rein or roadhog or even winston. I think giving the update more time to settle in will show how the game is actually in a pretty good place right now.

She always rezzes with a full mech charge. Still not ideal, but she can usually hop back in it before dying again.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
ok instagibs aside from roadhog :rolleyes:

I feel like roadhog's ability to grant ults to your opponent with easy headshots and super easy bodyshots at least offsets his picking ability though. for every push he enables with a hook he probably also grants an easy hold by giving the enemy reaper an extra death blossom or genji an extra dragonblade.

I mean, not that this matters because of robot monk + railgun cowboy / cyborg ninja in this current patch.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
How does this game run on minimum specs? I'm slightly below minimum spec but on a 1366x768 display. Just curious before I buy it as sometimes game companies give a minimum specs and it runs like horse poo poo while others give a constant 30 FPS if you turn all the jazz down/off.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Roadhog's basic role is to hook tracers and genjis and mediocre pharahs (and other targets of opportunity) and blap them with the one-two combo of shotgun/hook. He's very good at the anti-flank role because he can pull them in close and hit them with a very high damage alpha, and if they don't immediately pop their escape they're stuck with low HP in a very weak situation for them.

Basically Roadhog being able to instagib a flanker is what he's supposed to do.

I have no problem with Roadhog and in fact I'm worried he might be left out in the cold after this patch.

Tai posted:

How does this game run on minimum specs? I'm slightly below minimum spec but on a 1366x768 display. Just curious before I buy it as sometimes game companies give a minimum specs and it runs like horse poo poo while others give a constant 30 FPS if you turn all the jazz down/off.

It's a Blizzard game, people in your situation are basically half their customer base. It probably runs fine if your definition of fine is "30 FPS". (oh god 30 FPS in a twitch shooter is not "fine" :gonk:)

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

So every game today has one autistic, ADHD riddled Genji on the other team that wrecks poo poo, ults every 40 seconds and reflects literally everything on point.

Who locked the cabinet with the Ritalin?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Ddraig posted:

There's literally a one-hero limit in comp games. The reason why he's picked is... why wouldn't you?

I mean, there's only a few offense heroes and McCree is definitely solid so there is literally no reason not to pick him in addition to other offense heroes because there's no real disadvantage.

If there was a strictly one offense hero limit and McCree was always 100% slam picked and no others then yeah you might have a point but I'm not entirely sure what "McCree is picked in comp a lot" is supposed to indicate other than with a one hero limit multiple different offense heroes are picked.

If there was no hero limit, there would be multiple McCrees

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I have no problem with Roadhog and in fact I'm worried he might be left out in the cold after this patch.

He won't be. I don't even get why this would be a thing. He's still great. Not as great due to indirect nerfs, but still a very solid pick.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
its fun to be roadhog now cuz the team healer can leave me alone even more since now i gain ult off of my E

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
In QP I vape like crazy and just poo poo out Hog ults. If there's an Ana around to super charge me, look the gently caress out because the meat grinder is here to party. :toot:

I'm also now branching away from my small pool of Hog/Zarya/76/Lucio and giving Zenyatta a try. One QP match finished 27-4 with Gold in Elims, Objective Elims, Healing, and Silver in Damage. Zenyatta is loving awesome.

whatspeakyou fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 25, 2016

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's a Blizzard game, people in your situation are basically half their customer base. It probably runs fine if your definition of fine is "30 FPS". (oh god 30 FPS in a twitch shooter is not "fine" :gonk:)

Ehhh, I don't get overly competitive any more with fps shooters. 30 fps is enough as long as it's not jerking all over the place.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

verbal enema posted:

its fun to be roadhog now cuz the team healer can leave me alone even more since now i gain ult off of my E

Excuse me we need that precious HP to charge our ults. :(

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

ImpAtom posted:

Excuse me we need that precious HP to charge our ults. :(

but the other 5 people!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
also gently caress 20 tick rate right in the rear end

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

verbal enema posted:

also gently caress 24hz tick rate right in the rear end

Yes, yes and yes. It's loving ridiculous.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

LCL-Dead posted:

Yes, yes and yes. It's loving ridiculous.

dont u edit me bitch im donald trump

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

flashman posted:

If there was no hero limit, there would be multiple McCrees

This would reflect the problem of a limited pool of good ranged hitscan DPS, not that McCree is overpowered. Nerfing McCree won't change that situation, and it's not going to make someone like Widowmaker more favorable, it'll just mean Pharah will be S-A tier and more Pharmercy dominance.

But seriously can we look at how most of the "Defense" cast is absolute F tier in competitive? Same with Symmetra, and limited window of usefulness?

deetee
Apr 22, 2008

I understand that a lot of the target demo of this game have poo poo pc's and a higher tic rate isn't realistic for QP, but for competitive they should run at a very minimum 64. Shits whack.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

FaustianQ posted:

This would reflect the problem of a limited pool of good ranged hitscan DPS, not that McCree is overpowered. Nerfing McCree won't change that situation, and it's not going to make someone like Widowmaker more favorable, it'll just mean Pharah will be S-A tier and more Pharmercy dominance.

But seriously can we look at how most of the "Defense" cast is absolute F tier in competitive? Same with Symmetra, and limited window of usefulness?

Killing people is the most valuable thing you can do in this game.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

cosmicjim posted:

to add to this, you want to kill people very quickly without giving them time to heal

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zoness posted:

to add to this, you want to kill people very quickly without giving them time to heal

Which is also a part of why McCree is so good. Unlike Soldier 76, McCree does his damage in bursts which makes healing more difficult.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

cosmicjim posted:

I don't disagree, which is why I want "Defense" characters to get a once over. Buff Bastions Recon Mode, allow Torbjorn to store a level 2 turret, improve Mei's ability to hard counter flankers/tanks, make Hanzo less of a dumpster fire, give Symmetra the ability to create platforms, make the turrets resistent to splash, increase range and velocity of the LMB/RMB for Photon Projector and give her a secondary ult (through use of shift) that plops down a a much larger radius but slower healing persistent Biotic Field.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

What if Symmetra turrets healed nearby allies for a small amount? I'm talking like, you'd need somewhere between 3-6 of them just to get to Zenyatta level, plus they're stationary and prioritize zapping enemies, but it'd still be cool to be able to place quasi-health packs.

Plus then she'd actually belong under "support."

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The only reason she's support at the moment is so Blizzard can make a rather bad joke.

She's an indian tech support.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
symmetra's biggest problem is that a lot of the maps where her weapon is really effective have natural chokes where she'd want to put her teleporter, making it hard to really rally off of a teleporter against a big push

also that she's really bad after point A on most maps

also that she wants to play vertically but has no vertical mobility :rip:

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 25, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Just drop the pitiful shield boosting thing and give her drones that follow people around and heal them. Make it so the drones can be blown up, like 50 HP for a drone or something. So the old Orb of Harmony, but instead you can do something about it and it heals slower.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The worst is when you're planning to only use Symmetra for point A, and then you die right before the enemy takes it, and then the spawn room changes, and now you're stuck in the old spawn room and can't switch characters.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not a big fan of mei's kit overall but i think a vast improvement to her would be to refund some of ice wall's cooldown when cancelled based on how long the wall was out and how much damage it had taken. Boosting is probably the coolest thing mei can do.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Make Symm's turrets do extra damage or have healing effects or do some other utility thing if she spaces them out in particular patterns on walls. IE, they do damage if it's one or two but if you make a perfect equilateral triangle they have extra range or you can make a right triangle and they'll increase movement speed but if you make a rhombus it just plays the price is right losing horn sound and makes you visible to the enemy team. This encourages her to be really meticulous and obsessive about proper turret placement and is very flavorful.

Zoness posted:

I'm not a big fan of mei's kit overall but i think a vast improvement to her would be to refund some of ice wall's cooldown when cancelled based on how long the wall was out and how much damage it had taken. Boosting is probably the coolest thing mei can do.

This is my pet for-real mei buff too. It'd make her a much better flanker if she didn't have to blow the whole long cooldown to get on top of something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zoness posted:

lol at anyone who wants non-ult non-headshot instagibs in this game

a lot of things do that without discord tbh

tracer'd die in one hit to a ton of things even if they nerfed it

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 25, 2016

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

FaustianQ posted:

Just drop the pitiful shield boosting thing and give her drones that follow people around and heal them. Make it so the drones can be blown up, like 50 HP for a drone or something. So the old Orb of Harmony, but instead you can do something about it and it heals slower.

That could work, but then you'd have another Zenyatta without discord. Maybe do the destroyable drone thing but with shields? Like, 50 shields on the people the drone is following around, but you can destroy it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

NmareBfly posted:

Make Symm's turrets do extra damage or have healing effects or do some other utility thing if she spaces them out in particular patterns on walls. IE, they do damage if it's one or two but if you make a perfect equilateral triangle they have extra range or you can make a right triangle and they'll increase movement speed but if you make a rhombus it just plays the price is right losing horn sound and makes you visible to the enemy team. This encourages her to be really meticulous and obsessive about proper turret placement and is very flavorful.
A perfect hexagon makes them combine their beams into a Death Star superlaser.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Key word there is "non-headshot."

There are extremely few things in the game that deal 150 damage on a body shot. Pharah rockets do 120, as do Junkrat grenades, and notably neither of those can headshot. Reinhardt's charge does 300 of course but it's crazy hard to land and puts him in danger, I doubt it's what anyone's thinking of when they complain about instagibs.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

yeah but tracer's designed to be instagibbed so

NmareBfly posted:

This is my pet for-real mei buff too. It'd make her a much better flanker if she didn't have to blow the whole long cooldown to get on top of something.

I'm thinking team utility more than flanking but similar idea i guess. I don't think she should be primarily used as a flanker but having more options is never a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

roadhog does 225 damage and can oneshot a 200 health character with a bodyshot with either of his fire modes and can even kill zarya in one hit with a headshot. reaper can do 140, so with headshot multipliers he's capable of killing even another reaper in one hit. torb does 150, so he can also oneshot a reaper in one really good headshot. and, of course, mei does 75 so tracer is dead to one headshot. obviously both hanzo and widowmaker can kill people in one headshot but that's the point of their kit

also tracer is not designed to be instagibbed, that's stupid and contrary to your point