Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I guess i didn't read it that way. Even him asserting himself over the phone was more in a joking very apprehensive manner that he always does ("let the kids see my old ugly mug in the morning haha") that she's had no problem shutting down before and would've this time if she wasn't preoccupied with a literal monster and questioning of everything she's known.

He's basically just been a free maid and babysitter that she's used and now we're trying to find things to justify her cold murdering the dude. He was annoying but he wasn't a predator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

His laugh was super annoying therefor he deserved to be eaten.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
He also threw in with Odin and was going to continue letting him do whatever the gently caress he wanted.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I dont think he so much as aligned with Quincannon he was just a terribly weak mayor who couldnt stand up to him. He was earmarked since his first appearance as someone who'll die weird or be made an example of.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

the_american_dream posted:

He's basically just been a free maid and babysitter that she's used and now we're trying to find things to justify her cold murdering the dude. He was annoying but he wasn't a predator

I definitely don't consider his murder justified in any sense, but she always struck me as a character that does everything "just because" and is therefore more open to suggestion from any force, good or evil. A "convenient" opportunity and the right set of suggestions presented itself and she took them. Since Preacher is so wonderfully over the top in everything else it does, I was pretty okay with it.

I dont think he so much as aligned with Quincannon he was just a terribly weak mayor who couldnt stand up to him. He was earmarked since his first appearance as someone who'll die weird or be made an example of.

In terms of results, whats the real difference?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

She was killing two birds with one stone there.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

What about the sheriff strangling that angel in the tub? God the look on his face.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I thought it was already pretty bugfuck how she just blithely accepted Tulip inviting her over and saying "Oh btw there's a blood-soaked vampire in the other room, you need to feed him all these animals I've got roaming your house, also I'm leaving, have fun".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Data Graham posted:

I thought it was already pretty bugfuck how she just blithely accepted Tulip inviting her over and saying "Oh btw there's a blood-soaked vampire in the other room, you need to feed him all these animals I've got roaming your house, also I'm leaving, have fun".

Probably believes in evil and the devil already, so not much a stretch.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

His death isn't supposed to be justified, but the Psycho conversation, particularly following the phone call, retroactively frames the relationship for her as something she can't escape due at least partially to her own refusal to act against it. The phone call, along with the way their relationship has been presented all season, is meant to present it as something that will only grow. Her killing him is just her doing what she thinks she has to do in order to not be miserable for the rest of her life. It works so well because it transparently isn't justified and involves the only true good character thus far just straight up killing someone for her own benefit.

And then the imagery of the guinea pig refusing to leave its cage, which thematically has some dire implications for her future, just kinda seal that whole plot as pretty drat well done in my book.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I don't really blame the guinea pigs. Within five minutes they'd have been rattlesnake or hawk chow, if they didn't die of the heat first.

But I think her locking the Mayor in with Cassidy was her just going a different way. She didn't freak out like Tulip thought, she just went crazy. I mean, we've already been shown Tulip's constantly on-edge enough to kill a cop, and it's been shown she has access to a brothel full of lovely drunk/drugged men of shockingly low moral fiber, and she still never shoved a human in that room. Hell, she knew she was going to get Carlos, and it's somewhat clear she never had the thought of shoving him in the trunk and serving *him* up to Cassidy, which likely would've been far more cruel and painful.

There's no justification for what she did other than setting her up to be judged and damned by God in the next episode with the rest of the town.

Also, I've a feeling we're going to see a repeat of the bar scene next episode. The newly-appointed SoK walks in just as Jesse starts preaching and all we'll hear from him before the church/town explodes is "finish the sermon."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I don't really blame the guinea pigs. Within five minutes they'd have been rattlesnake or hawk chow, if they didn't die of the heat first.

Yeah, that's the point. The show's presenting her as someone who went for freedom but has no idea what to do with it. She can't survive outside the world she just destroyed.

e: I also, like, loved the Cowboy looping, mainly because I didn't catch on until near the end of the first loop.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MrAristocrates posted:

Yeah, that's the point. The show's presenting her as someone who went for freedom but has no idea what to do with it. She can't survive outside the world she just destroyed.

Well, there's also the aspect that she's certain that Jesse did *something* terrible to Eugene, and she's been covering for him. To her, Jesse was the one "good man" in the town, and now she knows that's bullshit, too. So you can spin it as her buying into the town's sinning philosophy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Boinks posted:

What about the sheriff strangling that angel in the tub? God the look on his face.

I felt bad for him. I was thinking she should tell him that its okay, she's still alive, but that'd probably just gently caress him up even more. Probably for the best she just left and let him believe that she was dead.

Also, holy poo poo, that was a pretty hardcore image they showed. Par for the course with Preacher, I guess.

How do you keep somebody incapacitated who comes back if you kill them? Cut off all their limbs and leave them in a bathtub! :stonk: Oh god.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I thought the Cowboy's personal hell was fantastic (and more than a little brave, building it up so gradually). Very glad they didn't commit to the nonsense of a big red Satan smoking a cigar and muttering racial slurs before getting shot in the face I'm assuming there's more backstory to come, though, since we still haven't seen his death.

RE: Emily. The show's pleasantly surprised me so far by being far more finely structured in its plotting than it often appears scene-by-scene (Sheriff Root being confronted by a disfigured human who begs him to put an end to it was neat. Chekhov's Pen was neat. The various echoes during the Cowboy's scene - 'it ain't paradise' - were neat. Even the awkward earlier wording of 'angel hands' came to make a twisted sense). But it definitely seems to misjudge how much emphasis the various character arcs need.

I can believe in Miles and Emily as, respectively, a softly-behaved creep with a penchant for emotional blackmail and a frustrated, repressed mother who suddenly lashes out against her own depressing future with him. But that hasn't been played up enough.

Likewise, Miles' ethical dilemma about covering up for Odin was played up far *too* much - a good three scenes devoted to it - when its only outcome was a brief cynical shrug when Jesse was under siege.

And as for Jesse himself...well, his motives have got so muddled that I'm not sure what he even wanted this episode. He fled from the law (while still feeling guilty about Eugene), unexpectedly decided that he loved Tulip, and offered no explanation about why he thinks bringing God to town will be a good idea - especially since his arrest on suspicion of murder makes Odin's bet totally moot.

Looking forward to him getting a clean sweep and a fresh motivation.

Also, the homeless pals offering him Merlot were great.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Cassidy continues to be the great source of comedic relief.

"You need angel hands? Because I can get you some angel hands. How many you need? 2? 3?"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've seen a few people goof this up so far.

Cassidy wasn't at Emily's house, he was at Tulip's Uncle Walter's house.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hoo boy. Imagine what Eugene's hell looks like. I have a pretty good idea just what he's reliving. It's very clever production wise, too - they now have a framing device ready to go whenever they decide they want to film that issue.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Eugene's face when Jesse starts asking him about hell is haunting. I can only imagine.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Man, I think I have to rewatch this because im not sure where yall are getting the Mayor being some dominant creepy predator. Hes basically been just a lovesick puppy clinging on to the bone shes throwing him of casual sex and the one time he tries to assert himself and become more than her human dildo she sacrifices him to a monster.

I tend to agree with that.

Right after this oh-so-sinister "demanding her to do things" he was doing that horribly geeky "HAWWW-HAWWW" laugh.

Hell, I don't even know if she heard the demand. She didn't seem to be paying any attention.

I think she had a psychotic break. The fact she decided the best thing to do with the animals is to "set them free" in the middle of the loving road, I think she's not exactly operating on all cylinders.

Data Graham posted:

I think that might have been the thing that finally broke her brain.

The thing that felt out of character is Cassidy himself. He's been pretty clear about not wanting to just murder random people and it's not something he needs to do generally; he didn't ask for her to throw him a human, and it's clear he was in a bit of a frenzy and out control.. not asking him to cry about it or anything, but I do hope he at least expresses a little bit of remorse given the only reason he was in that condition in the first place was his own doing.

ED: Kind of unfortunate nobody called Jesse, he could have used The Word to make Cassidy orderly drink some blood but not a fatal amount even in that shape, maybe.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 25, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hoo boy. Imagine what Eugene's hell looks like. I have a pretty good idea just what he's reliving. It's very clever production wise, too - they now have a framing device ready to go whenever they decide they want to film that issue.

Eh, just because SoK's hell is a Sisyphean task doesn't mean Arseface's hell would be too necessarily. In the bible hell is described a few different ways, and its been further taken in a million directions by all the depictions since then.

It is possible they'll just go with the obvious (getting the girl's face blown off over and over, however it happened) but I'd kinda prefer something more creative than that.

On the other hand, having us see Arseface's hell reliving how things went down would be a pretty fun storytelling device for how we finally learn what truly happened between him and the girl.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think she had a psychotic break. The fact she decided the best thing to do with the animals is to "set them free" in the middle of the loving road, I think she's not exactly operating on all cylinders.

It wasn't the middle of the road, it was the back yard. But yeah, it was shortsighted; the gently caress are guinea pigs gonna do in the wild? So she's definitely a bit.... clueless? Ignorant? In shock? Something.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Blazing Ownager posted:

The thing that felt out of character is Cassidy himself. He's been pretty clear about not wanting to just murder random people and it's not something he needs to do generally; he didn't ask for her to throw him a human, and it's clear he was in a bit of a frenzy and out control.. not asking him to cry about it or anything, but I do hope he at least expresses a little bit of remorse given the only reason he was in that condition in the first place was his own doing.

I'm not too surprised really. Depending on how long Cassidy has been a vampire, it is likely he's killed a lot of people in blood rage mode. He's also killed plenty between the angels and the people on the airplane as well. He's probably woken up next to fresh corpses enough to be numb to that by now.

Dick Holden
Jul 18, 2003

Purple!

Zaphod42 posted:

Cassidy continues to be the great source of comedic relief.

"You need angel hands? Because I can get you some angel hands. How many you need? 2? 3?"

What I liked about this was that it felt like a reference to The Big Lebowski, a movie Cassidy has stated time and time again that he hates. "You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me."

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Of course, he's not the Saint of Killers yet, he's still just a damned soul.

Disagree, based on how he's been treated as a last-resort nuclear option. He may not be fully there but he's clearly already got a dangerous reputation among the angels.

Also, during the shooting spree did you notice he never had to reload -- in the books that's one of the powers of his guns. Never run out of bullets, never miss.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
If the Cowboy is currently just another dude suffering in Hell at this point, it doesn't really jive with DeBlanc and Fiore's view of him as the nuclear option, does it? On the other hand, if he already has taken up his 'destiny', might it mean DeBlanc is now gone from the show? If he just does the usual angel trick of appearing again few minutes later, it kind of neuters the Saint's power/threat somewhat because if he can't put a mere single rear end in a top hat angel out of commission permanently...

Still wanna see Hell freeze over. :colbert:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sentinel Red posted:

If the Cowboy is currently just another dude suffering in Hell at this point, it doesn't really jive with DeBlanc and Fiore's view of him as the nuclear option, does it? On the other hand, if he already has taken up his 'destiny', might it mean DeBlanc is now gone from the show? If he just does the usual angel trick of appearing again few minutes later, it kind of neuters the Saint's power/threat somewhat because if he can't put a mere single rear end in a top hat angel out of commission permanently...

Still wanna see Hell freeze over. :colbert:

Eh, maybe he gets spit back out in Heaven and it's super inconvenient for him to get back to Earth without explaining how he got back to Heaven to begin with. Like everybody up there knows the only way for an angel to get back in is to walk up to the front door(and explain your reasoning) or get killed in Hell, and he didn't knock.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, there's also the aspect that she's certain that Jesse did *something* terrible to Eugene, and she's been covering for him. To her, Jesse was the one "good man" in the town, and now she knows that's bullshit, too. So you can spin it as her buying into the town's sinning philosophy.

Yeah, the last couple episodes really set it up. Jesse's freak out at the dinner. Jesse clearly having done something to Eugene. Seeing the Church bet set up to be destroyed, which is clearly something that she's built her life around. The Mayor laying out just how he was helping take out Jesse, but kept trying to make it about helping her and her kids. So Jesse's more bad than she thought, but the Mayor is trying to take the Church and Jesse away from her. Then Tulip drops the bombshell that Cassidy is a vampire, and just leaves her there with some bunnies and a blood crazed vampire.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Gyges posted:

Yeah, the last couple episodes really set it up. Jesse's freak out at the dinner. Jesse clearly having done something to Eugene. Seeing the Church bet set up to be destroyed, which is clearly something that she's built her life around. The Mayor laying out just how he was helping take out Jesse, but kept trying to make it about helping her and her kids. So Jesse's more bad than she thought, but the Mayor is trying to take the Church and Jesse away from her. Then Tulip drops the bombshell that Cassidy is a vampire, and just leaves her there with some bunnies and a blood crazed vampire.

Yup, I thought she snapped in the previous episode, where the mayor explains why he's on Odin's side -- you can see in that exchange she just shuts down and obeys him. It was a pretty good job of acting like someone going into shock.

That church (and Jesse) was/is pretty important to her.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Gyges posted:

My wife missed last night's and last week's episodes. We watched both tonight. Having watched "finish the song" prior to rewatching last week's episode where the mayor said "there has to be a sacrifice" to her after saying he supported Quincannon re: tearing down the church made the move make a tiny bit more sense. Still, kind of a turn for her.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Also, the Saint of Killer's killed his friend/partner in hell. So that was kind of weird.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Here's my solution to the Saint already being the Saint but not having killed the angel permanently: he was using guns made by Hell's simulation at the time and not his "forged from the Angel of Death's sword" guns.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Supreme Allah posted:

Disagree, based on how he's been treated as a last-resort nuclear option. He may not be fully there but he's clearly already got a dangerous reputation among the angels.

Also, during the shooting spree did you notice he never had to reload -- in the books that's one of the powers of his guns. Never run out of bullets, never miss.

Might just be to keep him going for as long as possible and they only get that upgrade when he goes upstairs.

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I felt bad for him. I was thinking she should tell him that its okay, she's still alive, but that'd probably just gently caress him up even more. Probably for the best she just left and let him believe that she was dead.

Also, holy poo poo, that was a pretty hardcore image they showed. Par for the course with Preacher, I guess.

How do you keep somebody incapacitated who comes back if you kill them? Cut off all their limbs and leave them in a bathtub! :stonk: Oh god.

I don't think the sheriff's emotion was entirely about strangling the angel so there was no real resolution to have between the two.

I think most of the Sheriff's reaction had to do with Eugene and how he put the angel out of her misery and future suffering in the way that he feels it should have but didn't happen with Eugene, he was strangling him not her

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Hollismason posted:

Also, the Saint of Killer's killed his friend/partner in hell. So that was kind of weird.

Deblanc and Fiore are my gf's favourite characters, so I'm being peppered with questions about whether he survived. It's quite nice being able to say that I have no idea.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

These two kill each other casually in a fight just to get a fresh respawn. I figure when one of them suddenly takes it this hard, it's not a good sign. For my money we've seen the last of DeBlanc.

Comic: It's consistent with the comic too where killing an angel is the very first thing the Saint does, not DeBlanc though.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Wild but interesting theory I heard elsewhere: Deblanc and Fiore aren't both Angels, one of them is a Demon, and they're the parents of Genesis.

When they introduce themselves "We're Angels..." "BOTH of us"

"My dear" in the last episode.

"They'd split us up" as well.

Only one of them is seen using the phone.

Only one is shown lying.

When asked whether it's possible to retrieve someone from hell, they have conflicting answers.

Either way it's the best bromance on TV right now. :angel:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Hahaha that would be amazing if only because it adds to the ever growing gently caress off to comic purists.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Spuckuk posted:

Wild but interesting theory I heard elsewhere: Deblanc and Fiore aren't both Angels, one of them is a Demon, and they're the parents of Genesis.

Only one is shown lying.

When asked whether it's possible to retrieve someone from hell, they have conflicting answers.

Oh poo poo that's a great theory and makes a lot of sense!

I must be the only cat here who thought the most recent episode was pretty.. mediocre. SoK's version of Hell went on for FAR too long, like pretty much ruining that entire opening, the character twists were pretty unreasonable, and again Tulip's presence was kind of pointless in this whole episode. I did like Jesse's line, "Merlot... for breakfast?" and any scene with Cass was great.

I am excited for the season finale, though. Is it going to be an extended episode?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Spuckuk posted:

Only one is shown lying.

:aaa:

Well poo poo, that's interesting. I'm gonna have to go back and watch their scenes again now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drat good theory. drat good show.

• Locked thread