Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

poo poo. I rented The Wave last week and thought " I dunno why I'm doing this it'll probably be on Netflix next week" and sure enough. It's pretty good though you guys should watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

On the topic of well done shows set in the 80's, Amazon Original Red Oaks impressed the poo poo out of me right in the opening scene. It shows skateboarders, and they are basically doing crappy tricks that were hot poo poo at the time, on crappy boards that were hot poo poo at the time. From there it maintains a very believable 80's vibe that has some excellent gratuitous nudity as any 80's show should.

In fact, the weirdest part of the show is that it's in high definition. Something that 80's should be fuzzy and require tracking adjustments.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 25, 2016

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Movies with no score own.

Hitchcock's The Birds was the first time I had to be told after watching something that it didn't have a score. It is definitely a neat little subgenre.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

There are some hella good shots in Stranger Things. So far, it's my favorite Netflix Original. Might reconsider canceling my account if they keep putting out stuff this good.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

wafflesnsegways posted:

Twin Peaks wasn't set in the past, it just had a few characters with 50s-ish haircuts, and other 50s aesthetic flourishes.

oops, you're right

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finally got around to watching Chappie and was expecting much worse. Even if it was flawed and derivative in a lot of ways I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure why it was such a punching bag when it came out.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Yeah I thought it was just okay.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
There's a bunch of weird exploitation movies and low budget schlock on amazon prime videos. I think "Fantasy of Deer Warrior" is my favorite. It's sort of Kurosawa does Bambi.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

NESguerilla posted:

Finally got around to watching Chappie and was expecting much worse. Even if it was flawed and derivative in a lot of ways I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure why it was such a punching bag when it came out.

Which service is it on?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LogisticEarth posted:

Which service is it on?

I watched it about a month back on Hulu with the SHowtime expansion

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Stranger Things ended a little too soon. Overall it was good but not great, still left me with a lot of questions. I hope if they do a second season it's completely unrelated.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Stopped Shameless around s6 because I realized I hated nearly every character on that show. I sincerely hope they all meet a dark end like the kind you might watch on liveleak.

Started Rectify and on the 2nd season. Amazing show but drat is it dreary and depressing at times.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love Rectified but I'll never get over one of the main characters being named "Amantha".

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Rough Lobster posted:

Stranger Things ended a little too soon. Overall it was good but not great, still left me with a lot of questions. I hope if they do a second season it's completely unrelated.

After the disaster of having too many episodes in Jessica Jones, I have no issue with them only having 8 episodes (still 10 would of been perfect).

And didn't they already say it will be related? At least in terms of the Upside Down world, and I think they have given hints it will still be about some of the same characters. To me the show answered enough questions to make it feel complete, but left enough unanswered to make me want to see a sequel. So either way I'm good.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Chromatic posted:

Started Rectify and on the 2nd season. Amazing show but drat is it dreary and depressing at times.

Netflix really needs to get season 3. Been waiting forever for that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LogisticEarth posted:

Which service is it on?

Hulu showtime free weekend.

Solidkgb
Apr 11, 2015

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

There are some hella good shots in Stranger Things. So far, it's my favorite Netflix Original. Might reconsider canceling my account if they keep putting out stuff this good.

I loved Stranger Things. Say what you want about Winona Ryder, she pulls out all the stops. One of the best performances of the year in my opinion.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Any chance of there being more old MST3k on netflix in the future?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Junkie Disease posted:

Any chance of there being more old MST3k on netflix in the future?

Probably not since there's a ton on Hulu.

Rectify 3 should be on Netflix soon as season 4 should be starting any day now

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Stranger Things: Wait, did the teenagers do anything? Their fight with the monster seemed fruitless. Or did they just serve to distract the monster while the adults looked around?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

NESguerilla posted:

I'm not sure why it was such a punching bag when it came out.

Die Antwoord was in it and Blomkamp is no longer the New Hotness, basically. I'm pretty sure he's never going to reach the levels of critical acclaim District 9 got again, even if he makes a better movie.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Chappie committing armed robbery was one of my favorite scenes of the last couple years.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Die Antwoord was in it and Blomkamp is no longer the New Hotness, basically. I'm pretty sure he's never going to reach the levels of critical acclaim District 9 got again, even if he makes a better movie.

Yeah. After reluctantly watching Elysium and Chappie I was expecting terrible things from both and I enjoyed them both quite a bit. District 9 really wasn't any better then either imo. Personally I think his cartoonish plots don't blend well with critics when the imagery is so bleak. I think people expect too much out of his movies. On top of that he wears his influences on his sleeve to the point it could be seen as unoriginal. Personally I think he has enough of his own style that it works.

I can see how Die Antwoord could rub people wrong even though I liked it. They really overdid it to the point where it felt like a Die Antwoord ad at times though which was bad. The one plot point I really hated was that they made Ninja such a piece of poo poo, just to try and totally redeem him out of nowhere. Really poorly written character. Also I hated that the first half was pretty much a Chappie torture montage Felt like more than was necessary. All the other cheese I could get past because I don't think the movie was meant to be taken as seriously as people wanted to take it and it was a lot of fun

Chichevache posted:

Chappie committing armed robbery was one of my favorite scenes of the last couple years.

Totally.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 26, 2016

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I thought it was robo jar jar binks with Die Antwoord showing up and proving why they shouldn't act. The plot borrowed a ton and where the hell is the security for the security company?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

NESguerilla posted:

I can see how Die Antwoord could rub people wrong even though I liked it. They really overdid it to the point where it felt like a Die Antwoord ad at times though which was bad. The one plot point I really hated was that they made Ninja such a piece of poo poo, just to try and totally redeem him out of nowhere. Really poorly written character.

I don't think Ninja was really that much of a piece of poo poo, honestly? The whole point is that he has zero loving clue how to raise a child, or even that that's what Chappie essentially is. He sees Chappie and sees a police robot the size of an adult that can rip a car door out with its bare hands, not a scared kid. His "redemption" is him finally catching on to what Chappie is, and rolling with it.

Junkie Disease posted:

where the hell is the security for the security company?

Assuming you're talking about the end: the security is all robots, and Hugh Jackman deactivated them with the police robots. It's not explicitly said, but it's not exactly a difficult inference to make, either.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't think Ninja was really that much of a piece of poo poo, honestly? The whole point is that he has zero loving clue how to raise a child, or even that that's what Chappie essentially is. He sees Chappie and sees a police robot the size of an adult that can rip a car door out with its bare hands, not a scared kid. His "redemption" is him finally catching on to what Chappie is, and rolling with it.

Assuming you're talking about the end: the security is all robots, and Hugh Jackman deactivated them with the police robots. It's not explicitly said, but it's not exactly a difficult inference to make, either.

Not the end like every other time anything happens at that place its vacant.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah. After reluctantly watching Elysium and Chappie I was expecting terrible things from both and I enjoyed them both quite a bit. District 9 really wasn't any better then either imo. Personally I think his cartoonish plots don't blend well with critics when the imagery is so bleak. I think people expect too much out of his movies. On top of that he wears his influences on his sleeve to the point it could be seen as unoriginal. Personally I think he has enough of his own style that it works.

Also I think it's the case where District 9 was a fairly simple "racism is bad" story with cute cartoon bug aliens, as soon as the parables got more pointed with Elysium's class inequality and healthcare and Chappie's exploring crime as the result of environment and poverty then people started getting a lot more hostile to his movies.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

He spends the first half of the movie doing nothing but sadistic poo poo to Chappie. It was way beyond not having a clue. Scenes like when he throws him to the wolves to get his rear end kicked by criminals would have been way better if Chappie had wandered off on his own or even if something Ninja said led him into doing it. I really didn't get the impression that he was just clueless until pretty much the very end of the movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

NESguerilla posted:

He spends the first half of the movie doing nothing but sadistic poo poo to Chappie. It was way beyond not having a clue. Scenes like when he throws him to the wolves to get his rear end kicked by criminals would have been way better if Chappie had wandered off on his own or even if something Ninja said led him into doing it. I really didn't get the impression that he was just clueless until pretty much the very end of the movie.

Again: when he looks at Chappie, he does not see a child. He sees the same type of police robot that he frequently sees kick people's poo poo in. Him throwing Chappie to the wolves was a miscalculation, with him assuming Chappie was still a police robot on the inside to some extent (and not a totally unrelated AI that took over that body) and assuming that he would gently caress the criminals up when they attacked him, instead of getting beaten and running off.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 26, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Despite Deon, Yolandi, to some extent America, plus basic common sense saying otherwise. It may have been the intention but it wasn't portrayed well and he came off as a total sadist until all of a sudden he's supposed to be totally great.

I get what they were trying to do with the character but I think they failed pretty badly. It would have been much better if they had properly portrayed him as a misguided hardass, but the actual film is 1 hour of Ninja straight up torturing chappie, 30 minutes of him fooling chappie into committing crimes under false pretenses and then all of a sudden "look this dude is so selfless and awesome what a great guy." There isn't even a great moment of revelation. It's just like "ok I guess he's cool now" His character is the crappiest part of the movie by far.

I actually liked that it was Die Antwoord too. The casting was cool. I just thought they really hosed that character up.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 26, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I dunno, I just read the character as "very stubbornly misguided until he finally fucks up bad enough to wake him up," not "openly sadistic." And I didn't read his redemption as nearly as positive as you did- he's not suddenly fantastic, he's still pretty much the same rear end in a top hat. He's just finally realized what he's got on his hands and changed his behavior accordingly.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I dunno man. I guess we will have to agree to disagree, but I think they botched the character really badly and slightly changing a few plot points would have made him a lot more palatable. I think they spent way to much time making him a villain just to show that he wasn't all that bad in the final showdown. I just think that character could have been handled a lot better without changing almost anything else about the film. There is basically nothing to him other than "gotta do the heist" for most of it. He even treats Yolandi and the other characters like poo poo constantly so it's not limited to Chappie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

NESguerilla posted:

There is basically nothing to him other than "gotta do the heist" for most of it.

Well, to be fair, he will be literally murdered by a modern caveman if he doesn't do the heist. It's kind of a big deal. Otherwise, yeah, I'm cool with agreeing to disagree on this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For sure but he didn't need to be so one dimensional. Either way, yeah I don't feel like arguing against a movie I thought was underrated anyways. Just thought they could have made Ninja a lot more interesting without much effort.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Guy Mann posted:

Also I think it's the case where District 9 was a fairly simple "racism is bad" story with cute cartoon bug aliens, as soon as the parables got more pointed with Elysium's class inequality and healthcare and Chappie's exploring crime as the result of environment and poverty then people started getting a lot more hostile to his movies.

I think it's more just that Elysium and especially Chappie were just not nearly as tight and well put together as D9. They're all good, but Chappie is especially a mess in the editing department.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Say what you want about Blompklamp's movies, but he's pretty much the reason Sharlto Copley is in front of the camera, and that's loving awesome to me, because Copley never disappoints.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Parachute posted:

Say what you want about Blompklamp's movies, but he's pretty much the reason Sharlto Copley is in front of the camera, and that's loving awesome to me, because Copley never disappoints.

Have you watched Powers yet? Copley is pretty much the best thing about it, once you get passed his gritty detective voice.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Chichevache posted:

Have you watched Powers yet? Copley is pretty much the best thing about it, once you get passed his gritty detective voice.

I haven't, but I'm glad to hear you say that because it helps with my "Sharlto Copley is the best part of [insert name of thing i'm watching]" theory.

Maybe I will check it out just because of him - I completely forgot it existed.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Chichevache posted:

Also Hardcore Henry, his character and gimmick was the best part of that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
He was so awesome in Hardcore Henry.

gently caress it, I think he may go in to the "unhatable" category for me - Along with Shaq and The Rock.