Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Khorne posted:

So we actually agree. I just thought you were in the arm only camp which while valid is obnoxious.
Oh no, my bad. I'm far too lazy to be arm only camp, since I used wrist for the longest of times and have been retraining myself for past two years to use more and more of arm before it's too late. I find arm-exclusive aiming to be somewhat clumsy and excessive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I've been watching some informative videos on the topic by pro FPS players. I can't completely stop some of my habits but I'm incorporating more arm movement and it has improved my tracking. I've never experienced any soreness on my wrist for what it's worth. I just want to improve.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
OW doesn't seem like a game that needs super low sensitivity, is this mostly for Widowmaker?

http://on-winning.com/overwatch-pro-sensitivity-settings-setups-monitor-mouse-keyboard-headset/

Sensitivity is 400~1600 DPI spread, 3~13 in game sens.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So what's the go-to gaming mousepad these days? After literally 11 years of use my Thunder8 is completely worn out -- as in it's so smooth the mouse actually wants to stick to it. I was tempted to just buy another one, but curious what's changed in the last decade.

I've had a G502 for two years, and I'm going to add my voice to the previous page that it's not a very good mouse, the weight is just too high (who would ever use weights with it?) and the shape is a bit awkward for reasons that are hard to describe. I need a new mouse at work, and browsing the last two pages I'm now seriously considering buying a new one and taking the 502 to work. It the 900 really the best cost-is-no-option for claw grip? Also, how good is wired vs. wireless these days?

Chuu fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 25, 2016

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I have a zowie gs-r that I love. Big and smooth.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The G900 still weighs ~107g so if you're looking for something really light weight you'll still be a bit disappointed, but it's a big improvement coming from the G502 at least. It's also weighted a little towards the back which some people don't seem to like.

I can't speak for any other wireless mouse but the G900's wireless mode is indistinguishable from wired mode, it's fantastic. Whether it's worth it to you or not depends on how much you hate cords and how good your wire management is.

As far as 'the best' goes, that's really up to what you need. If you need something lighter weight than the G900 you'll probably want to look at Zowie stuff. Like the FK1 is ~90g, or the ZA13 is down around 80g.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I have a zowie gs-r that I love. Big and smooth.

Isn't smooth a bad thing? I'm pretty sure mine is worn out because over the years the mouse has completely smoothed it down which leads to greater friction due to greater surface area contact. At the corners where the mouse never travels, it still has the original texture which means the mouse moves over it like ice.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I recently got a MM600 for free due to a technicality and it's very close to the same material on the Razer Sphex, so it's pretty viable for people who like hard pads.

I have a P-SR sitting around somewhere which I forgot to cancel my order on but I've never been interested in soft pads because it feels like it's weighing the mouse down.

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
What're the typical mouse and feature recommendations here? I just need something that's wired, can set to 800 CPI, has a scroll-wheel and mouse4 & 5. Not too worried about cost if it's good and lasts.

Was thinking about getting the Corsair Sabre 'cause I might also get same brand keyboard. I'll probably use whatever I get for FPS but would rather not have some space looking thing.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Chuu posted:

So what's the go-to gaming mousepad these days? After literally 11 years of use my Thunder8 is completely worn out -- as in it's so smooth the mouse actually wants to stick to it. I was tempted to just buy another one, but curious what's changed in the last decade.

I like the big ones that I can put my keyboard on. Perixx DX-1000XXL is what I have at home. At work I have a similar pad from steelseries.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Re: Mousepad, I just got the Razer Goliathus Extended and I like it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Deviant posted:

Re: Mousepad, I just got the Razer Goliathus Extended and I like it.

Anyone know of a 2'-wide mousepad? Most of the large ones seem to be 36", but my keyboard tray is only ~26".

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got some scissors I can lend ya ;D

knehsa
Apr 22, 2013

Been using the Roccat Savu for the last year, and it's the best money I ever spent I think.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I use an Akasa Venom XXL which is 89x45cm, which is more than enough to hold my keyboard/mic and small/medium soft/hard mousepad on top of it. I wouldn't use it as a mousepad but it's a nice base. I have a glass desk so something like this is pretty much required, especially in summer.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

taqueso posted:

I like the big ones that I can put my keyboard on. Perixx DX-1000XXL is what I have at home. At work I have a similar pad from steelseries.

This worked for me for a bit, though after two years the edges started to get badly grabby with the braided mouse cable, and were constantly scratching my arms. Two years is a long enough time to replace a mouse pad, but this had been a problem well before then. I had to use a binder clip to give my cable clearance over the edge. I use a SteelSeries QcK+ now.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Is this (still) a place to get some kind of support on perhaps-broken mice? I got my dad a Logitech M570 trackball a little over a year ago, today it started acting up. The battery lamp keeps flashing, it doesn't send input to the computer, and the Unifying software doesn't detect it. The flash pattern on the battery lamp is about 1 second on, very short flash off, back to 1 second on, etc.
Fresh battery does nothing.
Removing battery and clicking a lot (capacitor clearing) doesn't seem to help.
Curiously, holding the left and right buttons simultaneously makes it stop flashing the lamp, but still doesn't make it pair to the receiver.
Trying to pair to a different receiver makes no difference.

I haven't been able to find any reports of similar symptoms. Does anyone have suggestions for more things to try?

How are Logitech's warranty procedures in the EU, direct or through the retailer? I probably don't have any proof of purchase.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Am I right in remembering that Razer mice are non-starters because the sensor goes after about a year?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Deviant posted:

Am I right in remembering that Razer mice are non-starters because the sensor goes after about a year?

I think it's very much a individual mileage may vary thing. I had a Razer Deathadder 3.5G for 4 years and stopped using it in favor of a Logitech G600 because I needed more buttons, but it still works perfectly to this day. The secret to things not breaking a lot of times is just taking care of them and using them reasonably. If you're playing games 3/4 of the day every day then yeah maybe it's going to be a problem, but in 4 years of slightly above average use time I never had any sensor or click issues.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Chickenwalker posted:

I think it's very much a individual mileage may vary thing. I had a Razer Deathadder 3.5G for 4 years and stopped using it in favor of a Logitech G600 because I needed more buttons, but it still works perfectly to this day. The secret to things not breaking a lot of times is just taking care of them and using them reasonably. If you're playing games 3/4 of the day every day then yeah maybe it's going to be a problem, but in 4 years of slightly above average use time I never had any sensor or click issues.

Hm, ok. I'm between a Corsair M65 for my next mouse and...something else. I haven't found a logitech that has the button setup I like, and the G502 feels too small horizontally.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Deviant posted:

I have gone through, no joke, 4 Deathadders since 2009, and the brand new Chroma version I have has a rattly mousewheel. My Filco mechanical keyboard from 2009 still works perfectly fine.

And within a year or so my G502 mousewheel is starting to corrode. I'm using the G303 now and liking it a lot, but otherwise, I would recommend probably the EC2A or ZA13 since they're all in the same size range. Deathadder is slightly above this range. There's only really one reason to use a Deathadder - they're easy to obtain unlike Zowie, and their optical sensor is the best on the market. Otherwise you might as well be better off just sticking to Logitech whatevers. If they make a Logitech G9 with an optical sensor I will be first in line.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Megalixir posted:

I have gone through, no joke, 4 Deathadders since 2009, and the brand new Chroma version I have has a rattly mousewheel. My Filco mechanical keyboard from 2009 still works perfectly fine.

And within a year or so my G502 mousewheel is starting to corrode. I'm using the G303 now and liking it a lot, but otherwise, I would recommend probably the EC2A or ZA13 since they're all in the same size range. Deathadder is slightly above this range. There's only really one reason to use a Deathadder - they're easy to obtain unlike Zowie, and their optical sensor is the best on the market. Otherwise you might as well be better off just sticking to Logitech whatevers. If they make a Logitech G9 with an optical sensor I will be first in line.
Your G502 mouse wheel isn't corroding. It's just a lovely paint job.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Rexxed posted:

Bunch of goons with weird hands itt.

-----------------------
/

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Megalixir posted:

Deathadder is slightly above this range. There's only really one reason to use a Deathadder - they're easy to obtain unlike Zowie, and their optical sensor is the best on the market.
The S3988 is inferior to Pixart/Logitech's PWM3366 which is still exclusive to them.

There was talk of a "public" version of the 3366 being in development (3360) but I'm unsure if anyone's models are sporting it yet.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 31, 2016

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
MX Master I got to replace the bad ratchet in the wheel has now lost anything coming from mouse 4, the thumbwheel and thumb button after a month and a bit. Ticket open with Logitech but I have no hope that this isn't another hardware fault and another RMA.. Am I the only person having quality problems with MX Masters?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
My master that I use for work, (programming, excel, documents) hasn't given me any issues. Had it for two years, 8 hours use for five days.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Apropos of nothing, has this been mentioned yet? People are speculating there's a g200/303 hybrid out there.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I've been using Logitech mice for about 15 years having gone MX510 -> MX518 -> G400s and decided to try something different.

I bought a SteelSeries Rival 300, Logitech G502 Spectrum, Zowie EC1-A, and a Ducky Secret.

My quick takes on each as a palm-grip gamer mostly playing Overwatch and WoW these days:

SteelSeries Rival 300: OK overall but the dealbreaker for me were the 4/5 buttons being placed way too far forward on the mouse. Reviews indicate that people with these experienced flaky tracking in the past but that seems to be fixed in current firmware. I didn't like the feel of the rubber grips on the sides.

Logitech G502: The shape was all wrong for me and it felt too heavy. Coming from a G400s I was pretty disappointed by this one. Didn't like the scroll wheel in either of its two modes, though I appreciated the option to switch between them.

Ducky Secret: Great click feel on all 5 buttons and I really like the scroll wheel. PBT housing feels nice, everything being customizable via hardware buttons and not needing software installed is nice. I removed the stock 6g weight to bring it down to 120g but it's still on the heavy side and the shape isn't quite right for me though I keep trying to force myself to get used to it. I wish it were slightly longer and slightly less tall in the back. I just tested it again and the feel of all the buttons is amazing, especially the 4/5 which are the best I've ever used.

Zowie EC1-A: This is the one I keep coming back to. Side 4/5 buttons are well placed but feel kind of mushy compared to the 1/2 buttons. Scroll wheel is serviceable but not as nice as the Ducky Secret. I don't like that the LED lighting of the scroll wheel is tied to the DPI selection; at 800 DPI my mouse wheel is lit up pink which matches nothing else on my desk/PC. The housing plastic seems like it would instantly become a greasy mess but it doesn't, and it feels/grips well. It's light and it seems to fit my hand perfectly so even though its buttons, scroll wheel, lighting are not as nice as the Ducky this is probably the one I'm going to stick with. The Zowie seems to just disappear when I am playing a game, with the Ducky I feel like I'm always kind of wrangling it and trying to convince myself to get used to it.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I've used my Razer Orochi for like 3 years now about daily without a problem, if that's worth anything.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I still rock a Korean Logitech G1 I got years ago after my MX300 started flaking out. Kinda like it more than the refurbished G100s I later got off eBay.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Josh Lyman posted:

Your G502 mouse wheel isn't corroding. It's just a lovely paint job.

It's not paint, it's nickel electroplate. Individual chemistry for some people is incompatible with touching metal a lot. There are two people in particular internally (one in finance, one electrical engineer) that we can trust to melt through any mouse we make within a couple months.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Goo posted:

It's not paint, it's nickel electroplate. Individual chemistry for some people is incompatible with touching metal a lot. There are two people in particular internally (one in finance, one electrical engineer) that we can trust to melt through any mouse we make within a couple months.

You could test them with some stainless for a high end mouse prototype. The Logitech G502 elite (don't tell Microsoft)!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Goo posted:

So you're saying they have acidic sweat? That's a cool superpower...

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Not as cool as you might think. I literally cannot wear silver as permanent jewelry: It tarnishes and leaves my skin black or green in spots.

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Not as cool as you might think. I literally cannot wear silver as permanent jewelry: It tarnishes and leaves my skin black or green in spots.

the practicality of having acidic sweat is tertiary to the fact that u can tell a person ur a real-life mutant

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I currently have a Logitech G9 but it's getting rather old and manky. I like Logitech's so I'm happy to stay with them. What would be the closest current mouse to the G9? I use it in "wide mode" as I'm a palm grip kind of person. The G502 looks rather snazzy, would that be similar?

e: I also use a very old Icemat v2 mousepad. Have there been any developments in mousepads that would make it worth updating, or should I stick with the Icemat which is still in perfect condition.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 5, 2016

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Lungboy posted:

e: I also use a very old Icemat v2 mousepad. Have there been any developments in mousepads that would make it worth updating, or should I stick with the Icemat which is still in perfect condition.

I used to use the icemat a long time ago. I can verify that it pretty much had no appreciable wear in all the time I used it. If you're still happy with it, keep using it. I think the main downside is the small size, plus it's loud. Also if your mouse tilts at all or you get any little bit of grit on the pad, you'll scrape. Personally I switched to larger more traditional cloth pads a while ago and haven't looked back. Too many drawbacks, for me.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Lungboy posted:

I currently have a Logitech G9 but it's getting rather old and manky. I like Logitech's so I'm happy to stay with them. What would be the closest current mouse to the G9? I use it in "wide mode" as I'm a palm grip kind of person. The G502 looks rather snazzy, would that be similar?

I'm of the opinion that glass mousepads are the master race. They don't wear out like cloth or hard plastic, and they don't wear out mice faster like metal (steel and aluminium) pads. I, too have an Icemat and there is no comparison in terms of smoothness. It really is like skating on ice. I could move my mouse just by blowing on it. They don't make them like they used to. Really, hard plastic mousepads have also fallen out of favor. I suspect it's because cloth mousepads are cheaper to ship. Treasure that pad, the closest thing you can get these days is a Maxtill G-2 pad out of Korea.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If you've ever considered a G300s, Best Buy is hocking them for half-off in the states.

I have no opinion on them one way or the other, but 50% off is 50% off.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-g300s-optical-gaming-mouse-black/4801013.p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Trisk posted:

I used to use the icemat a long time ago. I can verify that it pretty much had no appreciable wear in all the time I used it. If you're still happy with it, keep using it. I think the main downside is the small size, plus it's loud. Also if your mouse tilts at all or you get any little bit of grit on the pad, you'll scrape. Personally I switched to larger more traditional cloth pads a while ago and haven't looked back. Too many drawbacks, for me.

Small? Mine's (i'm guessing) 30cm x 20cm, which is plenty big enough for me. The noise doesn't bother me as I have headphones on most of the time that I'm using it.

Lolcano Eruption posted:

I'm of the opinion that glass mousepads are the master race. They don't wear out like cloth or hard plastic, and they don't wear out mice faster like metal (steel and aluminium) pads. I, too have an Icemat and there is no comparison in terms of smoothness. It really is like skating on ice. I could move my mouse just by blowing on it. They don't make them like they used to. Really, hard plastic mousepads have also fallen out of favor. I suspect it's because cloth mousepads are cheaper to ship. Treasure that pad, the closest thing you can get these days is a Maxtill G-2 pad out of Korea.

I didn't realise that glass pads had died off and were something of a rarity. I've no idea why, it's a fantastic surface to use for a mouse.