Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You should fill your tires with nitrous oxide so you can plumb your central inflation system into the intake. #robbygordon #smokeyyunick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Elephanthead posted:

I fill my tires with hydrogen so they are lighter and I go faster, (for a little ways anyway).

That's funny, I used radon a few weeks ago, so that my tires would glow in the dark, but now they're just solid polonium. In an unrelated note, my car is now on fire and my bones hurt

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Elephanthead posted:

I fill my tires with hydrogen so they are lighter and I go faster, (for a little ways anyway).
If you actually did this (or helium too) your tires would explode from the massive pressure increase when they warmed up, is that correct? Or is the difference not actually that extreme?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Door Frame posted:

That's funny, I used radon a few weeks ago, so that my tires would glow in the dark, but now they're just solid polonium. In an unrelated note, my car is now on fire and my bones hurt

I tried this and all I got was lead‐210 and cancer.

0/5, would not try again.

Alereon posted:

If you actually did this (or helium too) your tires would explode from the massive pressure increase when they warmed up, is that correct? Or is the difference not actually that extreme?

It wouldn’t really make a difference.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 25, 2016

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I think the operating temperature of tires on the road would be high enough to be legit dangerous with hydrogen, but not too much worse than magnesium rims without a direct source of oxygen or other oxidizing agent.

Actually, speaking of alloys, I'm pretty sure that steel becomes incredibly brittle when exposed to hydrogen

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hydrogen needs a spark or hundreds of degrees of temperature (both C and F) to ignite.

So don't throw any flint inside your tires and I think you'll be okay. Still stupid, but not dead stupid.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hydrogen permeates through vulcanised rubber five times as fast as air, and probably at a greater ratio between the tyre and the rim.

Even if you top the tyres up religiously, you’re still going to lose more performance to underinflation than you’ll gain from decreased mass.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Hydrogen permeates through vulcanised rubber five times as fast as air, and probably at a greater ratio between the tyre and the rim.

Even if you top the tyres up religiously, you’re still going to lose more performance to underinflation than you’ll gain from decreased mass.

And through steel, aluminum, and even titanium. I was remembering AP Chem correctly after all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_embrittlement posted:

During hydrogen embrittlement, hydrogen is introduced to the surface of a metal and individual hydrogen atoms diffuse through the metal. Because the solubility of hydrogen increases at higher temperatures, raising the temperature can increase the diffusion of hydrogen. When assisted by a concentration gradient where there is significantly more hydrogen outside the metal than inside, hydrogen diffusion can occur even at lower temperatures. These individual hydrogen atoms within the metal gradually recombine to form hydrogen molecules, creating pressure from within the metal. This pressure can increase to levels where the metal has reduced ductility, toughness, and tensile strength, up to the point where it cracks open (hydrogen-induced cracking, or HIC). Though hydrogen atoms embrittle a variety of substances, including steel, aluminium(at high temperatures only), and titanium, hydrogen embrittlement of high-strength steel is of the most importance

I'm pretty confident in saying that helium would be similar in its ability to permeate everything. I know MRI machines have had problems with their liquid helium escaping through the metal it's sealed in.

Speaking of MRI's and spectacular failure, back when I worked in a hospital, we had a guy bring a steel oxygen tank on a cart into the MRI room. It flew 15 feet into the machine and caused $1.3m in damages and lost revenue because he didn't know what all of the giant, red signs and flashing lights meant

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Helium may penetrate the metal that way, but it doesn't have the same atom->molecule recombination issue (2 hydrogen atoms -> 1 hydrogen molecule) because it's a noble gas, at least.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Since we're talking horrible mechanical failures at Oxygen vs. Nitrogen (compounds)

tldr; BOC Gas installed gas lines at a hospital. Mixed up O2 and N2O lines in the neonatal care unit. One new-born baby dead, another is a vegetable.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Alereon posted:

It wouldn't be any different from air, actually. According to ideal gas law (which is close enough to reality to work here) P*V=n*R*T. All you need to know from that is that, in a fixed volume with a fixed mass of gas, absolute pressure varies directly with absolute temperature, and all the heat generated in a tire is from sidewall/tread flexing as the wheel rotates. Googling suggests that at highway speeds tires get about 50 degrees F above ambient, so if you go from 95 to 145, or 555 to 605 on the Rankine scale, that's a 9% increase in temp, and thus pressure.

So if you start at 30 psi cold (45 absolute), you'll end up with tires at about 34 psi (49 absolute), whether they're filled with hydrogen, nitrogen, plain air, or tungsten hexafluoride.

The bigger issue is making sure you've fully evacuated all the oxygen out of the tire, as hydrogen and oxygen form an explosive mixture over a pretty wide range of ratios, from 18% to 60% H2. That's an AFR of between 0.7:1 and 4.6:1, by mass, so it doesn't take much residual air at all to make a bomb. (for comparison gasoline will detonate between 13:1 and 80:1, so it actually takes a lot of air if you've got a high concentration of vapor to start. That's why fuel tanks don't explode.)

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Captain Postal posted:

Since we're talking horrible mechanical failures at Oxygen vs. Nitrogen (compounds)

tldr; BOC Gas installed gas lines at a hospital. Mixed up O2 and N2O lines in the neonatal care unit. One new-born baby dead, another is a vegetable.

No one checked before turning them on? Jesus, we had to double check that we hooked the right syrup up to the soda machine

Although, the article seems to imply that it was tested, which just makes it more awful...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

Although, the article seems to imply that it was tested, which just makes it more awful...

"Yup, gas is flowing!"

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Enourmo posted:

It wouldn't be any different from air, actually. According to ideal gas law (which is close enough to reality to work here) P*V=n*R*T. All you need to know from that is that, in a fixed volume with a fixed mass of gas, absolute pressure varies directly with absolute temperature, and all the heat generated in a tire is from sidewall/tread flexing as the wheel rotates. Googling suggests that at highway speeds tires get about 50 degrees F above ambient, so if you go from 95 to 145, or 555 to 605 on the Rankine scale, that's a 9% increase in temp, and thus pressure.
For some reason I thought that Hydrogen and Helium diverged significantly from the ideal gas law because of their extremely low atomic weights, but apparently it is the exact opposite!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Captain Postal posted:

Those poor loving parents' next kid is going to have a first rate college education thanks to the massive negligence payout they're gonna get from this.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Alereon posted:

For some reason I thought that Hydrogen and Helium diverged significantly from the ideal gas law because of their extremely low atomic weights, but apparently it is the exact opposite!

Yeah the law mostly breaks down at very high densities, usually along with either very high pressures or very low temperatures, because intermolecular attraction and collisions come into play.

It actually works best with monoatomic gases, so helium is nearly ideal in most circumstances.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Door Frame posted:

Once, for the PYF Dangerous Chemicals thread, I did the calculations for the power emitted by a 2‐litre bottle filled with radon.

Your car would be heated by something on the order of one million watts.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I always understood it as water vapor being the problem, not oxygen. Nitrogen is cheap, readily available and isn't anything to worry about when deflating tires in the shop. Water vapor in the tire can change between condensed droplets and vapor (at least in a race scenario), which have huge volume differences and thus a bigger pressure difference.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ola posted:

I always understood it as water vapor being the problem, not oxygen. Nitrogen is cheap, readily available and isn't anything to worry about when deflating tires in the shop. Water vapor in the tire can change between condensed droplets and vapor (at least in a race scenario), which have huge volume differences and thus a bigger pressure difference.

Dammit, I was just about to say this. We already had this argument in the motorcycle forum and that was the conclusion, yeah. A single milliliter of water vaporizes into 1700 millilitres of steam. Bottled nitrogen (or any other bottled gas) is going to be completely dry, so you can avoid that problem.

I still fill my tires up with the gas station air compressor and don't think twice about it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
How good is a water trap or water draining on an air compressor?

Does compressing the air into a 120psi tank condense the water out of the air? And, if so, does draining the tank water then give you drier air?

Honest question. Of course, like it matters when I'm using Phoenix air :v:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Once, for the PYF Dangerous Chemicals thread, I did the calculations for the power emitted by a 2‐litre bottle filled with radon.

Your car would be heated by something on the order of one million watts.

I was just thinking about polonium's obnoxious radiation emissions, that scary RadonTM fad when it was discovered, and the fact that even the most stable form of radon has a half-life of ~4 days, but I suppose just plain old radon would still put out enough energy to melt the car to the pavement...

Polonium though, polonium is insane. It was used to keep Soviet computers from freezing up in the vacuum of space because of every gram of it produces more than 100 watts and undisturbed polonium will reach temperatueres close to 1000 degrees if there's more than half a gram present. I had always thought that alpha radiation was generally pretty harmless to humans because light clothing and having skin will stop it from damaging your DNA, but polonium produces enough heat during decomposition to melt it and allow it to diffuse through latex gloves, through the skin, and into soft, unshielded tissues, where it is a massive loving problem. For whatever reason, being in people accelerates its rate of decomposition and it takes less than 1 tenth of a microgram entering the bloodstream to be lethal. I was going to ask why it never really got used for anything noteworthy, but I answered my own question.

E:

Geirskogul posted:

How good is a water trap or water draining on an air compressor?

Does compressing the air into a 120psi tank condense the water out of the air? And, if so, does draining the tank water then give you drier air?

Honest question. Of course, like it matters when I'm using Phoenix air :v:

In theory, they're great, 120psi should make water become a liquid inside of the compressor and then removing the condensed liquid shouldn't be too difficult, but gasses were never my strong suit, so I'm not completely sure. If looked up the triple point chart and did some algebra, I could give a less half assed answer, but it's 2am so :effort:

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 26, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ola posted:

(at least in a race scenario)

Key factor right there. If you're getting the tires hot enough to possibly boil water, and doing so while able to tell the difference between half a PSI hot pressures, then yeah, you want pure nitrogen in those tires.

The rest of us? gently caress it.

Geirskogul: Even when I can be assed to drain my compressor I maybe get a few drops of water out of it, so, yeah.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I just remember up north in a bunch of cities where AC wasn't too common, it was local regulation to store compressors outside in certain business districts. The same compressors often had multiple cups of water inside when I'd drain them.

Mostly it was bad maintenance, but the air was sure to be more humid.

Also they exploded with surprising regularity.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

I was just thinking about polonium's obnoxious radiation emissions, that scary RadonTM fad when it was discovered, and the fact that even the most stable form of radon has a half-life of ~4 days, but I suppose just plain old radon would still put out enough energy to melt the car to the pavement...

Polonium though, polonium is insane. It was used to keep Soviet computers from freezing up in the vacuum of space because of every gram of it produces more than 100 watts and undisturbed polonium will reach temperatueres close to 1000 degrees if there's more than half a gram present. I had always thought that alpha radiation was generally pretty harmless to humans because light clothing and having skin will stop it from damaging your DNA, but polonium produces enough heat during decomposition to melt it and allow it to diffuse through latex gloves, through the skin, and into soft, unshielded tissues, where it is a massive loving problem. For whatever reason, being in people accelerates its rate of decomposition and it takes less than 1 tenth of a microgram entering the bloodstream to be lethal. I was going to ask why it never really got used for anything noteworthy, but I answered my own question.

E:

In theory, they're great, 120psi should make water become a liquid inside of the compressor and then removing the condensed liquid shouldn't be too difficult, but gasses were never my strong suit, so I'm not completely sure. If looked up the triple point chart and did some algebra, I could give a less half assed answer, but it's 2am so :effort:

On a cold day with IIRC a ~100L compressor at my old job I was getting about half a liter of water a day. It condenses at the bottom and there is a drain tap you crack open connected to a little hose that I routed into a bottle.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Door Frame posted:

Polonium though, polonium is insane. ..... For whatever reason, being in people accelerates its rate of decomposition and it takes less than 1 tenth of a microgram entering the bloodstream to be lethal. I was going to ask why it never really got used for anything noteworthy, but I answered my own question.

I dunno, the Russians seem to have some use for it:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

quote:

I had always thought that alpha radiation was generally pretty harmless to humans because light clothing and having skin will stop it from damaging your DNA

Isn't it really bad to breathe? Hence the concern over radon in basements.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yep. Alpha particles are stopped by your skin, so external sources are harmless. But if you eat or inhale something that emits alpha particles it's going to gently caress with your internal organs.

The obvious problem with radon is that it's a gas at room temperature.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Radon gas reactors would've been pretty interesting

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ola posted:

That's pretty much exactly what In was saying. Your home air compressor, just like the big fucker at the dealer is going to spew a lot of moisture into your tires, even if they drain it frequently.
It's a little better if you use a desiccant but still not as good as bottled Nitrogen.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Probably more a horrible driver failure.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I watched some dude in a Cadillac do that several years ago, in one of their modern models. He was trying to rush a yellow left turn and buried his foot to make it, except he had no concept of how fast such a turn could be made. Smacked the curb hard with the front right. Limped along for another quarter mile before realizing something was broken and I passed them where I could see the rim had been smashed off all its spokes.

Had to have taken that turn at 50mph or so, was loving hauling rear end.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah I see ice and snow so... it's probably someone nailing the gas then not being able to turn and pushed into a curb.

I did that once, but not at a terribly high speed, and only ended up with a tiny bit of wheel rash.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Also, modern Peugeot.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

spog posted:

I dunno, the Russians seem to have some use for it:

Multiple uses!

nene
Jan 5, 2007
Mad Scientist

The Door Frame posted:

It's not on fire, it's just oxidising much more quickly

InitialDave posted:

The thing I find really impressive is it looks like not only has the centre of the wheel detached from the outside of the wheel, but the hub (and centre of wheel) seem to have also come adrift from the rest of the car.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Tyre/gas chat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzsw_NL1SiY

Can't find anyone trying to actually fill a tyre with acetylene. I guess you wouldn't find the camera afterwards anyway.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, isn't there a substantial risk of explosive self decomposition above 14psi or so with nondissolved acetylene?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

Bottled nitrogen (or any other bottled gas) is going to be completely dry, so you can avoid that problem.

Medical oxygen has a certain amount of moisture added back into it before the gas is bottled. Aviator's Breathing Oxygen does not, and is bone dry. Water vapor freezing in your oxygen system at 30000ft is no Bueno. Never use medical oxygen as a substitute. :pseudo:

Dry bottled nitrogen is used on large aircraft tires and landing gear struts for the same reason. Water sucks; Gatorade is better.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

InitialDave posted:

That's a 206 XS, given the average crowd driving that model and trim I am not surprised in the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
My van and its ATF had a nasty fight and broke up: