Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
what? is crawford actually fighting pac?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

sum posted:

Bud is gonna actually kill Manny

lol settle down

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Marching Powder posted:

what? is crawford actually fighting pac?
heavily rumored

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

i'd watch the gently caress out of it

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
I don't think Manny is going to fight Crawford.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Absolute embarrassment

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Bud is the motherfuckin man

sum
Nov 15, 2010

thehappyprince posted:

lol settle down

Ok sorry he's gonna thoroughly dominate old man Pacquiao for the easy win

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

But that was a hell of a performance by Crawford. Would have been fun against a competitor

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i hate when boxing finally manages to make an intriguing fight and it turns into this. reminded me heavily of floyd / canelo. ugh.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I know it was probably more meaningful than that, but :lol: at Postol's participation ribbon.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Bud showed a lot of patience in there as well. Postol still presented a threat going deep into the fight, which he really hasn't had to deal with at 140. Not sure Manny is going to want a ton to do with all of that.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Didn't see the fight but the impression I'm getting is that Bud was too good to get the call for Pac.

It's the only possible fight for the two of them that would matter though IMO.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd rather see him fight Tim Bradley than Pacquiao tbh

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

doctor thodt posted:

I'd rather see him fight Tim Bradley than Pacquiao tbh

Yeah, that would be good poo poo. Crawford has a nasty mean streak at times in the ring, and I feel like Bradley would try to force the issue a lot more than Postol did last night (despite probably having the same amount of power :lol: )

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I wonder if he would fight Bradley given the whole backstory with the two. Not really sure if they are close friends, but the way HBO sells it, Bradley basically forced TR to look at Crawford and give him a shot. I could see Crawford not wanting to take that fight.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I never noticed how loving green this building was before. I always thought it was just the lights.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Vegas kinda sucks as a whole and am glad Stub hub and Barclays Center have become more go to big fight arenas.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
vegas is alright so long as you're only there for 3 days

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Jose posted:

vegas is alright so long as you're only there for 3 days

This. There's a story written by David Foster Wallace about being on a cruise called "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again", and it's my opinion about Vegas. (Although I might go back there for a shorter trip to see the Blues play the new LV NHL team.)

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Re: Vegas as a fight town a lot of it really was just the glamour and mystique but now that there are places where crowds actually get up for fights there's no reason to hold fights there other than site fees which given how much it needs the money I can get behind but I'm glad the sport seems to be moving away from just having every big fight there all the time.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

The gambling still has a lot to do with it. It was Christmas every time the Pinoy gamblers came to town in the Pacquiao years.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
That was a brutal fight that did not improve Crawford's stock at all. Crawford was up probably 5 points after the 6th round and could have turned up the heat and made a statement. Instead he ran his rear end off for the whole fight and then spent most of the 12th obnoxiously celebrating. He scored a couple of flash knockdowns in the 5th round, mainly because Postol's balance was terrible, and then basically packed it in for the rest of the fight. Postol was terrible and absolutely vulnerable to Crawford going up a gear and thrashing him. Never even came close to happening. Crawford basically did his best young Floyd Mayweather impression. Very dull.

Crawford proved that he'll very tough to beat, probably too tough for Pacquiao to fight unless Manny and/or Arum is looking to cash out, as well as very capable of not being entertaining whatsoever. Not a good combination. Only Floyd pulled it off in terms of box office, and that's because he turned himself into a supervillain that everyone wanted to see lose.

Also Manny Pacquiao's "retirement" is going to last about as long as his typical layoff between fights. He just fought in April for God's sake. I know Pacquiao is an idiot but it's very cute that he thought people would think that he's actually retiring.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I agree to a point. The fight wasn't terribly entertaining and I'm not too upset I didn't catch it live. Would have been good to see Crawford go forward on the guy a little more, he was very effective when he did. Crawford played it very safe, especially in the second half of the fight. But he was also up against a very, very tentative fighter who was thinking more about the shots coming back at him than the shots he was throwing. Could Crawford have gone forward and walked Postol down? Cut off the ring and pressured him into a bad situation or knockdown? Probably, but it's hard to knock a guy for sticking to what was working.

Postol averaged something like 20 thrown punches a round, I think he got as low as 10 thrown punches at one point. That's an atrocious rate of activity, and maybe the worst I have ever seen from a fighter in a PPV. For the most part he spent the fight looking at Crawford and flinching back whenever he saw a punch about to get thrown.

Really I think it was a case of a bad style matchup. Both guys are boxers who like counterpunching. Neither has ever been known for being an inside fighter or pressure fighter. And both had a lot on the line, it was their first PPV main event and both came into the fight undefeated. Easy for us to say Postol is feather-fisted, we weren't in the ring with him. Maybe Crawford saw something we didn't. Or maybe Crawford simply got complacent, knew Postol wasn't going to give him many openings, and simply decided to stick to his game plan and extend his lead.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

it's weird to say that postol was tentative. he was attempting to stalk crawford the entire fight. he just absolutely could not get him to stand still long enough to thrown punches. i'd say postol's inactivity was almost certainly due to crawford's vastly superior footwork rather than any lack of will

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

That could be. I saw a guy who was lost, had no backup plan, had no inkling of what he could do to compete.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Postol didn't throw at all. It was like he'd never practised hitting a moving target before. And Freddie Roach has already said he doesn't want to put Pacquiao in with Crawford. At least not without a warm up fight. Unless Pacquiao really needs the money, and judging on reports of his lifestyle, he might, I doubt that fight even happens. At this point Manny is an almost-38-year-old part time fighter and full time Senator in the Philippines. Crawford proved on Saturday that he can move all night. There's nothing worse for an old fighter than a young, fast, mobile fighter.

It's too bad there are 0 big fights left at 140 for Crawford. The division is very thin, and the other 2 titlists and only opponents technically worth fighting are Adrien Broner, who's currently in jail and a mess, and someone named Eduard Troyanovsky, who only fights in Russia and is probably a promotional non starter. Crawford is 5'8 and has the frame for welterweight, so he might move up sooner than later. There are a lot of big fights up there.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Crawford vs. Danny Garcia is probably my #2 dream fight after GGG/Canelo

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just Danny Garcia getting beat down for 8 rounds would be fine, doesn't matter who from.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Crawford/Brook might not be bad at 147 if GGG doesn't force an early retirement. Probably not a big action fight, but Brook could probably handle all the stuff Crawford did to Postol and force him to engage more.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

any boxing on this weekend thats watchable in the UK without sky sports? don't mind staying up insanely late for it

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Some typical mis-Matchroom show on Sky, Frampton v Santa Cruz on Boxnation at daft o'clock. Close fight on paper, surprised Santa Cruz is such a strong favourite.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I can get a free month subsrciption so might do that. what times the fihgt likely to start since coverage begins at 1am?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

It's in New York thankfully so possibly around 3am

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
4am BST, an American reporter asked Frampton if the northern Irish fans would be staying awake for it and he replied "Do you know what Buckfast is?"

Loading up on the bucky in anticipation, I think it'll be tight and Frampton's obvious reach disadvantage could be a factor but Carl has the power and technique to make it a good fight. Calling frampton to stop him after the 6th. My bias might be showing but he should give a good account of himself.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

well i'm likely to be so hosed i forget its on but i'll try and remember

only ever drunk bucky mixed with cider after a heavy night for reasons i've never understood but its surprisingly nice

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Adonis Stevenson vs. Thomas Williams Jr

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

With all the US political conventions and stuff I completely forgot Frampton-Santa Cruz was tonight. Hell yeah!! Should be good. I'm going with Santa Cruz but only because I've seen more of him. Hoping for a dynamic high-volume fight.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

BoxNation stream I'm watching on seems incredibly behind, like 1 fight behind the actual undercard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Yeah they're not showing some fights live for some reason, dunno why - they usually just show the entire card as is

• Locked thread