Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I have been upgrading about a dozen computers that my work will be donating to employees or such since we don't use them anymore. I've been upgrading them from Win7 -> Win10 using the company Win7 license so that we can give away Win10 machines while also getting back those Win7 licenses.

My process:
- I've been upgrading from Win7 -> Win10
- Then I log in via a temp account, to verify Win10 activation
- I manually delete the roll back data (C:\Windows.bak\ or whatever)
- Then doing a System -> "Reset this PC" without saving personal data from within Win10 (emulating a clean install)
- Once that is done, I leave it at the initial "welcome to Win10, make a user account now" screen and turn the machine off.

Since I already logged in once as the temp user before doing a system reset, the computer is good and activated in Win10, right? Or will people who make a new account after the end of this month get hit with activation problems because they didn't log in to their new post-system reset account BEFORE then?

If the latter is the case, I will log into each and make a dummy temp account and leave it at that because jeez thanks Microsoft.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

jeeves posted:

I have been upgrading about a dozen computers that my work will be donating to employees or such since we don't use them anymore. I've been upgrading them from Win7 -> Win10 using the company Win7 license so that we can give away Win10 machines while also getting back those Win7 licenses.

My process:
- I've been upgrading from Win7 -> Win10
- Then I log in via a temp account, to verify Win10 activation
- I manually delete the roll back data (C:\Windows.bak\ or whatever)
- Then doing a System -> "Reset this PC" without saving personal data from within Win10 (emulating a clean install)
- Once that is done, I leave it at the initial "welcome to Win10, make a user account now" screen and turn the machine off.

Since I already logged in once as the temp user before doing a system reset, the computer is good and activated in Win10, right? Or will people who make a new account after the end of this month get hit with activation problems because they didn't log in to their new post-system reset account BEFORE then?

If the latter is the case, I will log into each and make a dummy temp account and leave it at that because jeez thanks Microsoft.

Accounts have no bearing on activation or digital entitlements (digital licenses, as they're apparently now called). The system hardware is fingerprinted and that's all that binds the license.

After the Anniversary Update comes out, you will be able to link a digital license to a Microsoft account (not a Windows user account) to have better chance of getting a re-activation in case of a major hardware change, but that currently seems like it will be an additional action you have to take.
You have to actually go into the activation settings page and click "link this license to my account" while logged in with an MS-account-linked local administrator. After you have done that, you get an extra option if activation fails.

Also, your Windows 7 product keys don't become invalidated because you use them to install Windows 10 and get a digital license for the hardware. However the license text forbids you from having active installations of both at the same time. (I'm not sure what the stance on dual-booting between them would be, but running one in a VM on the other is out.) This isn't enforced via activation, but if your business gets audited they will probably ding you for it.
And using the Windows 7 key to install a wholly different machine, then using both, that's definitely not allowed.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I take it the ISO for 14393 will only be officially released on 2nd August?
On the same note, if I want an early upgrade, what's the best way? Enable the insider Fast ring, let it update and disable it again?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Combat Pretzel posted:

On the same note, if I want an early upgrade, what's the best way? Enable the insider Fast ring, let it update and disable it again?

Insider Release Preview ring, if you want to jump the gun but don't want beta risk. Insider Slow if you want it today (still probably 6 to 12 hours away depending on when they add something to Windows update next); I don't know if anything is going to hit Fast alone at this point but I doubt it.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
I play older games and windows 10 refuses to even consider letting me register or install DirectX 9 libraries. d3dx9_38.dll is the main culprit, but xactengine3_6.dll (this one causes a fatal error trying to use the web installer for 9.0c) and x3daudio1_7.dll have also shown up. Any suggestions, or am I going to have to set up a VM which will kinda defeat the purpose of having a 1080.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Well, I got a fresh windows 7 key. So now I have to go

Clean install 7 -> Activate 7 -> Upgrade to 10 -> Get my 10 key from my 10 install, and this should set a digital entitlement onto my Microsoft account for the current hardware? -> Clean install 10 without key, will pull existing entitlement from my microsoft account?

Am I understanding this right?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Deviant posted:

Clean install 7 -> Activate 7 -> Upgrade to 10 -> Get my 10 key from my 10 install, and this should set a digital entitlement onto my Microsoft account for the current hardware? -> Clean install 10 without key, will pull existing entitlement from my microsoft account?

Did you try to do "change product key" on 10 with the new 7 key yet? That should grant the digital entitlement.

Also note that the digital entitlements linking to MS accounts will be a new thing in the anniversary edition.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Deviant posted:

No.

Your license does not get bound to any account. Your license get gets bound to your hardware ID, so if you install on the same hardware again you can activate without a key.

With the Anniversary Update, this changes, and your digital license (digital entitlement) will get linked to your MS account, it seems automatically. (It has happened automatically on the machine I have running on slow ring insider builds.)
I assume you cannot get one license linked to multiple accounts, but maybe you can move it to another account.
The account linking also is irrelevant as long as the hardware stays the same, it only matters if you need to re-activate after a major hardware change.

You can see what the actual circumstances on your machine are on the Activation page in the Settings app.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

astral posted:

Did you try to do "change product key" on 10 with the new 7 key yet? That should grant the digital entitlement.

Also note that the digital entitlements linking to MS accounts will be a new thing in the anniversary edition.

Entered my new 7 Pro Key, "Windows 7 Professional 32/64 Bit License KEY-for 1 PC (OEM)"

I have a USB of 7 and 10 each on my desk here, not sure what else I could do short of a full reinstall.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 25, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Deviant posted:

Entered my new 7 Pro Key, "Windows 7 Professional 32/64 Bit License KEY-for 1 PC (OEM)"

I have a USB of 7 and 10 each on my desk here, not sure what else I could do short of a full reinstall.

The error on the left seems to be associated with a failure to activate against a KMS server. The error on the right is associated with an edition mismatch between what you have installed and what you're trying to activate.

Also forgot to point out that in the free upgrade program there is no windows 10 "key", it's just a digital entitlement. Yeah, you can get a key with a keyfinder tool, but it's more or less a generic key that say "Look for a digital entitlement!". Once windows 10 is properly activated and the entitlement is granted, future installs on the same hardware are done without entering any key.

If you've got everything backed up and are willing to do a clean install, I'd first recommend trying to clean install 10 using the 7 key. If that fails, you can still clean install 7 and do the upgrade that way.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Combat Pretzel posted:

Actually, from what was posted before in this thread and another in the YOSPOS subforum, there's a whole lot of translation going on, because the NT and Linux kernel do a lot of things with a similar outcome a whole lot differently.

Translation implies some kind of facade intermediate layer. That's not really the case here. They really did implement fork, for instance, and it's really being called when a program uses the fork syscall. Unless you mean pico processes which I guess includes various indirections like address translation but that applies to normal processes too so it's not really a special thing.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Shalhavet posted:

I play older games and windows 10 refuses to even consider letting me register or install DirectX 9 libraries. d3dx9_38.dll is the main culprit, but xactengine3_6.dll (this one causes a fatal error trying to use the web installer for 9.0c) and x3daudio1_7.dll have also shown up. Any suggestions, or am I going to have to set up a VM which will kinda defeat the purpose of having a 1080.

Are you not using the DXSetup installer for 9.0c? Get the 2010 redist here. (Or just look in the your steam folder, basically every drat game comes with it. Just search SteamApps\common\ for "Jun2010_d3dx9" and run the dxsetup.exe in one of those folders.)

All you need is to run the installer as admin. If the os is preventing it from installing there is something wrong with your system.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

astral posted:

If you've got everything backed up and are willing to do a clean install, I'd first recommend trying to clean install 10 using the 7 key.

That worked.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

nielsm posted:

And the funny thing is that you're specifically not running Linux, the kernel, at all, when using WSL, you're just getting an ELF loader and a compatibility layer that looks like Linux from the outside.

Let's all congratulate Stallman on the best implementation environment for GNU/NT yet.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/wsl/2016/04/22/windows-subsystem-for-linux-overview/
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/wsl/2016/06/15/wsl-file-system-support/
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/wsl/2016/05/23/pico-process-overview/
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/wsl/2016/06/08/wsl-system-calls/
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/wsl/2016/07/08/bash-on-ubuntu-on-windows-10-anniversary-update/

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 25, 2016

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

Klyith posted:

Are you not using the DXSetup installer for 9.0c? Get the 2010 redist here. (Or just look in the your steam folder, basically every drat game comes with it. Just search SteamApps\common\ for "Jun2010_d3dx9" and run the dxsetup.exe in one of those folders.)

All you need is to run the installer as admin. If the os is preventing it from installing there is something wrong with your system.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

then I'm gonna go with something wrong with either the redist files or the os. redownload it, and if that doesn't work you may need a reset.

I literally just installed 9c on windows 10 myself after looking at your earlier post. it worked fine. morrowind now works without complaints over d3d9 dlls.

(I hadn't tried playing an old game since upgrading to 10 until now, was actually under the impression that win10 came with dx9.)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Klyith posted:

then I'm gonna go with something wrong with either the redist files or the os. redownload it, and if that doesn't work you may need a reset.

I literally just installed 9c on windows 10 myself after looking at your earlier post. it worked fine. morrowind now works without complaints over d3d9 dlls.

(I hadn't tried playing an old game since upgrading to 10 until now, was actually under the impression that win10 came with dx9.)

It comes with directx 10 and 11 and 12, you have to install 9 due to 9 being from 2004 as of its last update. Additionally the 9 to 10 move included a lot of big changes that weren't really backwards compatible for various programs.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Know what would be cool? If Windows realized I already have Office installed and gently caress off with putting the Get Office app on my start menu and hassling me on every god drat build.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Factor Mystic posted:

Translation implies some kind of facade intermediate layer. That's not really the case here. They really did implement fork, for instance, and it's really being called when a program uses the fork syscall. Unless you mean pico processes which I guess includes various indirections like address translation but that applies to normal processes too so it's not really a special thing.

Oh yeah, I forgot about personalities, so "translation layer" isn't fair.

I still wouldn't take it as a given that the Linux personality is just as efficient as the Linux kernel itself, though. I seem to remember there being license terms saying you can't publish performance testing results for .NET or something, so maybe you can't do that for Linux either :shrug:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What's the malfunction?

Ironically, this was my response to you from 2015 over the same question.

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's missing the ability to send email from an Outlook alias or an email tied to the main Live account. It's missing the ability to update or pop up toast with any sort of regularity. It's missing the ability to properly display the number of unread mail within an account. And it's missing the ability to not be a giant piece of poo poo.

All these complaints still stand in 2016. With the free update ending soon, I'll have to update my desktop and I'm not looking forward to having to go back to live.com to use my email instead of using an app.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jul 26, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I don't think WSL is intended to be a replacement runtime environment for critical services. It probably will give better performance, or at least better responsiveness, than a full virtual machine running real Linux, but not as good as real Linux on real hardware. Also, since it isn't actually Linux, you don't get the Linux driver stack or anything, just a virtualized file system.
It really is just meant as a developer environment, for working on software that will in the end probably be hosted on a real Linux system.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's missing the ability to send email from an Outlook alias or an email tied to the main Live account. It's missing the ability to update or pop up toast with any sort of regularity. It's missing the ability to properly display the number of unread mail within an account. And it's missing the ability to not be a giant piece of poo poo.

Well-remembered. Are you saying the Windows 8 app does all these things? The Windows 10 app now provides reliable notifications for incoming mail, and the unread email count is fine.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Combat Pretzel posted:

I downloaded the relevant .esd file, extracted it and ran setup.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I only have local profiles in my machines. Is there any real benefit to using a ms account?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Massasoit posted:

I only have local profiles in my machines. Is there any real benefit to using a ms account?

Syncs some of your settings, login to the store, a few other benefits. Nothing major, but it's easy so it's not really a big deal.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

On a kind of related note but not really, windows 10 takes a long time to log into my account or walking up. Like up to a minute

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I did an inplace upgrade from 7 to 10 and all worked in the end, but for a while the install was freezing at the "Getting Updates" stage.
As one of the trouble shooting steps for this I disabled all of my startup items while still in windows 7 via msconfig. Once in 10 there seems to be no way of re-enabling them?

They dont show up at all in Task Manager/StartUp.
They show in the registry in under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartupApproved\Run, but not Current User

And they show in CCLeaner, but enable/disable doesnt do either.

Will I just have to re-setup each one, one by one?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
When I try to wake my PC up from Sleep, it seems to reboot (i.e. I see the BIOS screens, logo etc.) but then successfully resumes from wherever it was once Windows loads. It seems more like hibernate, but I don't think that's enabled since I don't have it in my power menu. I'm reasonably sure it's only been doing this since I installed Windows 10 but I'm not 100% on that. Is this normal?

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart

chippy posted:

When I try to wake my PC up from Sleep, it seems to reboot (i.e. I see the BIOS screens, logo etc.) but then successfully resumes from wherever it was once Windows loads. It seems more like hibernate, but I don't think that's enabled since I don't have it in my power menu. I'm reasonably sure it's only been doing this since I installed Windows 10 but I'm not 100% on that. Is this normal?

I have the same issue with an HTPC. Problem is when it's in this weird Hibernate Mode or whatever it is, I can't wake the pc up from the remote. I have to walk over and turn it on. It's as if the pc will go sleep then after a set time hibernate. I have turned hibernate off so I have no clue.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

chippy posted:

It's probably doing Hybrid Sleep. That'll mean that when you put it to sleep, it also makes the hibernation file, and when certain things happen it goes from sleep to straight up off. Then when you go to wake it, it'll just restore from the hibernation file if it met those conditions and turned off, otherwise it simply wakes.

Saves a good deal of power and is very handy for laptops (because one of the triggers to fully shut off is if the battery starts getting too low).

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

chippy posted:

Cream posted:

I have the same issue with an HTPC. Problem is when it's in this weird Hibernate Mode or whatever it is, I can't wake the pc up from the remote. I have to walk over and turn it on. It's as if the pc will go sleep then after a set time hibernate. I have turned hibernate off so I have no clue.
Open a command prompt with admin access and run this:
code:
powercfg /h off
This disables hibernation at a very low level, which you can't accomplish just by unchecking the box in the power options control panel. It also frees up a few gigs of space on your C drive as a bonus, because it removes the hibernation file.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

fishmech posted:

It's probably doing Hybrid Sleep. That'll mean that when you put it to sleep, it also makes the hibernation file, and when certain things happen it goes from sleep to straight up off.

Hmm, that sounds like it might be it, although it's not completely off because the power light is still flashing. Still, I'll disable hybrid sleep if it's on and see how that goes. Out of interest, what are the 'certain things'?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Power outage or poo poo. Hybrid sleep is essentially just sleep mode with a memory backup on disk.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
How's the dark theme in the Anniversary Update? Does it change Explorer/Win32 UI or is it a UWP-only thing?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

MeKeV posted:

I did an inplace upgrade from 7 to 10 and all worked in the end, but for a while the install was freezing at the "Getting Updates" stage.
As one of the trouble shooting steps for this I disabled all of my startup items while still in windows 7 via msconfig. Once in 10 there seems to be no way of re-enabling them?

They dont show up at all in Task Manager/StartUp.
They show in the registry in under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartupApproved\Run, but not Current User

And they show in CCLeaner, but enable/disable doesnt do either.

Will I just have to re-setup each one, one by one?

Try Autoruns if you haven't.

Commander Keenan posted:

How's the dark theme in the Anniversary Update? Does it change Explorer/Win32 UI or is it a UWP-only thing?

AFAIK it's UWP only. But they did say they were working on a new modern File Explorer, so we should all be scared.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Combat Pretzel posted:

Power outage or poo poo. Hybrid sleep is essentially just sleep mode with a memory backup on disk.

OK, well I don't think that's what's happening with my machine then. Even if it's literally just gone to sleep and there's been no power outage, it still reboots when you wake it up.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah, so all that disabling hybrid sleep achieves is that now when I try and wake it from sleep it reboots like before, but now it fails to resume (presumably due to lack of hibernation file) and just boots up normally instead.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

chippy posted:

Yeah, so all that disabling hybrid sleep achieves is that now when I try and wake it from sleep it reboots like before, but now it fails to resume (presumably due to lack of hibernation file) and just boots up normally instead.

Your system was doing S3 Hybrid sleep, which is where it turns off everything but power to the RAM and a few controller chips on the mainboard. Most motherboards indicate this state in some way (slow LED pulse, blinking, etc). It comes up like it's coming up from a cold boot, but will use either the RAM state or the hiberfil.sys file to restore where it left off at.

If you want to enable your remote to wake the system, you usually have to set the receiver in the BIOS as a device that will wake the system - similar to a mouse, keyboard, or ethernet port. This will continue to power the receiver while the system is in this state (and possibly move from S3 to S2/S1).

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Arsten posted:

Your system was doing S3 Hybrid sleep, which is where it turns off everything but power to the RAM and a few controller chips on the mainboard. Most motherboards indicate this state in some way (slow LED pulse, blinking, etc). It comes up like it's coming up from a cold boot, but will use either the RAM state or the hiberfil.sys file to restore where it left off at.

If you want to enable your remote to wake the system, you usually have to set the receiver in the BIOS as a device that will wake the system - similar to a mouse, keyboard, or ethernet port. This will continue to power the receiver while the system is in this state (and possibly move from S3 to S2/S1).

I appreciate what you're saying, but it seems more like it's failing to resume from RAM and having to fall back on the hibernate file every single time. As I said, if I disable hybrid sleep so there's no hibernation file, it fails to resume properly from where it left off when it starts up, and acts like it's being freshly booted, along with Chrome saying 'Chrome was not shut down correctly' and stuff like that.

When I try to wake it up, I hear everything spin up (fans etc) for a second. Then, it goes competently dead. No fans, no power lights. It sits like that for a couple of seconds, then it boots. It seems like something is failing during the resume from RAM and it falls back on resuming from the hibernation file instead.

As it stands, it's actually slightly quicker for me to boot the machine from a total power off state than it is to resume from Sleep at the moment, because I don't have to wait for it to try, fail, die for a couple of seconds and then start up.

It wasn't doing this when sleeping with Windows 7. Although, I installed an SSD at the same time as installing Windows 10, so I suppose that could somehow be the culprit rather than the OS.

p.s. It wasn't me that wanted to wake it up with the remote, it was Cream.

chippy fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

chippy posted:

I appreciate what you're saying, but it seems more like it's failing to resume from RAM and having to fall back on the hibernate file every single time. As I said, if I disable hybrid sleep so there's no hibernation file, it fails to resume properly from where it left off when it starts up, and acts like it's being freshly booted, along with Chrome saying 'Chrome was not shut down correctly' and stuff like that.

When I try to wake it up, I hear everything spin up (fans etc) for a second. Then, it goes competently dead. No fans, no power lights. It sits like that for a couple of seconds, then it boots. It seems like something is failing during the resume from RAM and it falls back on resuming from the hibernation file instead.

As it stands, it's actually slightly quicker for me to boot the machine from a total power off state than it is to resume from Sleep at the moment, because I don't have to wait for it to try, fail, die for a couple of seconds and then start up.

It wasn't doing this when sleeping with Windows 7. Although, I installed an SSD at the same time as installing Windows 10, so I suppose that could somehow be the culprit rather than the OS.

p.s. It wasn't me that wanted to wake it up with the remote, it was Cream.

Maybe there's something wrong with the RAM? Try moving the sticks to different sockets, and then running a memory test on it, like memtest86+.