Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Good job ignoring what I said and slapping on the personal insults, icing on the cake there. :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

dangerdoom volvo posted:

no pc so this doesnt count

apparently it got leaked for early next year and also I think it's fair to say more people have access to a ps3 then they do a PC that can run either game properly

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Fellblade posted:

Good job ignoring what I said and slapping on the personal insults, icing on the cake there. :jerkbag:

You sound like a cool guy who's good at discussing things and I want to continue this further.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
RIP Rising Thunder, you never got your chance to shine.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shockeh posted:

RIP Rising Thunder, you never got your chance to shine.

it will be relaunched next year as a lol fighter and be bigger than sf

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
This is why we should all be playing EHRGEIZ GOD BLESS THE RING

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
evil zone is the king of stupid ps1 fighting games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj8wl48dlu8

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

This will probably actually be true and and whatever Riot does for their eSports version of it will be more popular than the last 15 years of community events combined. I just hope it means lots of people who find out about the genre and start digging in to other games

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Saint Freak posted:

I rented that game for a week and played it non-stop against the AI. gently caress it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Real hurthling! posted:

And gently caress the haters, I'll play the poo poo out of it. I genuinely really liked RT.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I mean for better or worse, Street Fighter is 'bigger than the genre' (see: World of Warcraft and MMO fans, Metallica and metalheads, etc). drat near anyone who identifies as a fighting game fan will have played some Street Fighter, but there's lot's of Street Fighter players who aren't interested in other games. If someone comes in looking to learn to play Street Fighter and you say "play Xrd instead because' it's objectively better" that might not be something their interested in hearing, because they don't want to learn how to play a fighting game, they want to learn how to play Street Fighter.

You also really can't underestimate demographics and playerbase population. Fighting games are inherently a multiplayer experience. If you can't convince people to play them with then you're probably not gonna play for very long. I go to a local club and see all sorts of crazy fighting games being played, but 95% of people who buy Street Fighter are probably casual people just looking to play with their friends on a couch and they probably haven't heard of other fighting games existing except for Mortal Kombat and the one time they rented Soul Calibur 2 a decade ago. The game's already in the public consciousness, so that's a waaaay easier sell than "mystery anime fighter that I've never seen anyone in real life play before". You can tell a dude on the east coast who's going to McDonald's that In and Out is way better and that's a fact, but that's not helpful if the nearest location is a few thousand kilometres away. Unless you have friends that play Xrd or are a proactive enough person to look for them (and then you're probably not a casual) you're probably not gonna be too interested.

I play Xrd. It's a good game. But when I tell my non FGC friends that I play it (who are mostly people pretty well versed in video games) the two almost immediate questions are always 1) What's Xrd? and 2) Why aren't you playing Street Fighter instead? I grew up playing video games, and only got interested in GG because of the thread here. The only things I had ever heard about the series pre-Xrd were mid-2000's Bridget memes.

I'm honestly kind of amazed at how casually popular SF is despite how hard it is to play, actually (by "game" standards, not "fighting game" standards). I mean any one posting a thread online about it is probably interested enough to actually want to learn to play, but there's a significant amount of couch players who see executing a DP motion as an insurmountable barrier. Link based combos? poo poo's hard. Fighting games are hard. That some of them somehow sell millions of copies despite that is actually kind of amazing, because I don't think there's any other genre where the majority of people who buy it can't even execute their basic mechanics.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 25, 2016

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

This will probably actually be true and and whatever Riot does for their eSports version of it will be more popular than the last 15 years of community events combined. I just hope it means lots of people who find out about the genre and start digging in to other games

ya its gonna be like when europe took an interest in africa. thats right im directly comparing esports to centuries of genocidal colonialism

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

attackmole posted:

I mean for better or worse, Street Fighter is 'bigger than the genre' (see: World of Warcraft and MMO fans, Metallica and metalheads, etc). drat near anyone who identifies as a fighting game fan will have played some Street Fighter, but there's lot's of Street Fighter players who aren't interested in other games. If someone comes in looking to learn to play Street Fighter and you say "play Xrd instead because' it's objectively better" that might not be something their interested in hearing, because they don't want to learn how to play a fighting game, they want to learn how to play Street Fighter.

You also really can't underestimate demographics and playerbase population. Fighting games are inherently a multiplayer experience. If you can't convince people to play them with then you're probably not gonna play for very long. I go to a local club and see all sorts of crazy fighting games being played, but 95% of people who buy Street Fighter are probably casual people just looking to play with their friends on a couch and they probably haven't heard of other fighting games existing except for Mortal Kombat and the one time they rented Soul Calibur 2 a decade ago. The game's already in the public consciousness, so that's a waaaay easier sell than "mystery anime fighter that I've never seen anyone in real life play before". You can tell a dude on the east coast who's going to McDonald's that In and Out is way better and that's a fact, but that's not helpful if the nearest location is a few thousand kilometres away. Unless you have friends that play Xrd or are a proactive enough person to look for them (and then you're probably not a casual) you're probably not gonna be too interested.

I play Xrd. It's a good game. But when I tell my non FGC friends that I play it (who are mostly people pretty well versed in video games) the two almost immediate questions are always 1) What's Xrd? and 2) Why aren't you playing Street Fighter instead? I grew up playing video games, and only got interested in GG because of the thread here. The only things I had ever heard about the series pre-Xrd were mid-2000's Bridget memes.

I'm honestly kind of amazed at how casually popular SF is despite how hard it is to play, actually (by "game" standards, not "fighting game" standards). I mean any one posting a thread online about it is probably interested enough to actually want to learn to play, but there's a significant amount of couch players who see executing a DP motion as an insurmountable barrier. Link based combos? poo poo's hard. Fighting games are hard. That some of them somehow sell millions of copies despite that is actually kind of amazing, because I don't think there's any other genre where the majority of people who buy it can't even execute their basic mechanics.

Mortal Kombat is also a good example of this but for much more casual reasons.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Saint Freak posted:

Gateway game Street Fighter that has literally nothing that would appeal to a casual player.

Brand recognition!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

teagone posted:

Brand recognition!

raise your hand if Chun Li was your first legit video game crush

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I will make the street fighter five feelgood thread despite having never played street fighter five before

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
even the old nineties vid I posted last page is basically a long form response to how hard street fighter is to play. the end of it even hammers in the idea that you have to practice and not get discouraged by losses... the same issues really that still "plague" the series as far as casuals are concerned. honestly DOA and wrestling or ufc games or mortal kombat are fine for most garbage players and it's fine that sf is hard. it should be even harder honestly, this baby mode poo poo is detrimental to the genre

before these kind of threads were this hostile to newbies, they were filled with stupid people feeling entitled to wins without practicing. this thread is a better introduction for new players because it cuts to the chase. like if you're new, basically you should feel like the gameplay and community are all saying "gently caress you." this cuts through a lot of bullshit

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it doesn't mean we don't love you, we love noobies, but we ain't going to lie or sugar coat poo poo

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

like if you're new come fight me in fightcade. I don't care if you're free because setting up a training mode environment in those games is annoying and trash talking a dummy isn't sweet at all

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I enjoy playing fighting games win or lose but I'm not going to make fun of someone for wanting to win.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I really want to win

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

AnonSpore posted:

I really want to win

See u in top 8 bitch

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
So Juri Theme is out now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6TqZ6mhmdE

The vast consensus is that this theme is perfect and that Capcom keeps hitting home-runs at every turn.
I actually really like her theme though, it reminds me of No More Heroes Music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKrGj_XHIrM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhnhMIJKSHs

I applaud them for trying something radically different.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Oddly enough, in my local scene the game that attracts the most new casual, 1st-time FG players is...Skullgirls.

The animation, aesthetics, story, and designs REALLY appeal to certain people I guess.
Plus the game feels loose enough that you can dash around and hit buttons and occasionally get chain combos even if you have no idea what you're doing.

SF used to be like this but they took a serious downturn with SF4 and SF5 because now the games are sooooo stiff, slow, and awful feeling (4 especially so); which is ironic because they've dumbed things down and added so much crap in order to make it "newbie friendly" but ultimately end up just alienating players more.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 25, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
For all of SG's faults, it feels pretty good to press buttons and move around in it. It also has a very distinct visual design, which I feel is gonna be KOF 14's downfall.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
the cool part about lovely old games is that even people like zand will be super nice to you because to them its like a native tribe in the rainforest meeting an outside human for the first time

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

the cool part about lovely old games is that even people like zand will be super nice to you because to them its like a native tribe in the rainforest meeting an outside human for the first time

Nah it's more like that video of the medieval reenactor throwing a spear at a drone camera.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Shiki Dan posted:

Oddly enough, in my local scene the game that attracts the most new casual, 1st-time FG players is...Skullgirls.

Good. This is how it should be.

Just curious, where are you at?

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

In Training posted:

I enjoy playing fighting games win or lose but I'm not going to make fun of someone for wanting to win.

Speaking only for myself, the problem with the people who really want to win above all else is that they tend to greatly discourage people like me who just want to mess around from playing fighting games ever again. My objective is to minimize my interactions with that set.

Due to lack of console exclusives that I want to play, I'm PC only. In my old age I'll never for as long as I live be able to visually process what is going on in any fighting game that has air dashing mechanics (so no Smash, Marvel, insert ASW or anime/doujinshi fighter here) or ground juggles (3D fighters like Tekken). Street Fighter games are something I can at least follow, so that's one incentive for why I'd even want to TRY playing. Another critical factor: of the games being continually mentioned in this thread (so not counting Killer Instinct or Tekken 7 which isn't out yet), Street Fighter V is the only one with cross-platform multiplayer, and therefore it is the only fighting game with a large enough player base that I even stand any sort of chance at all at finding people at comparable skill level to me. And it still takes a fair bit of time to find a Casual or Lobby match there with a full connection.

Without cross-platform multiplayer I'm sunk. This counts both single player only as well as multiplayer, but Mortal Kombat X on PC has about 500 players within the last 24 hours (and I understand its netcode isn't good), and the latest Naruto game has about 300 (luckily they have lots of single-player modes). Skullgirls is about the same. This thread has lots of love for Guilty Gear Xrd, but there is a grand total of 120 people playing it on PC (down from its all-time high of just under 2000), and their level of proficiency exceeds a newcomer's so greatly that there's nothing to be learned in losing to them. About 90 people are playing Dead or Alive 5 on PC. For all the advocacy given towards FightCade, it only seems to list single to low double digit numbers of players for any particular game, suggesting I either set it up wrong or the amount of effort needed to get it set up restricts it to the realm of diehards only. The number of people playing Divekick is about...10. Street Fighter V is the only one enough people are playing (2000 on PC plus the console players).

True, "you must lose to get better." But when you ask "why was I beaten?" the answer has to be something you can grasp as being attainable. Getting crushed by Gold/Platinum/Diamond equivalent types just makes that seem like an impossibility.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Daryl Surat posted:

Speaking only for myself, the problem with the people who really want to win above all else is that they tend to greatly discourage people like me who just want to mess around from playing fighting games ever again. My objective is to minimize my interactions with that set.

Due to lack of console exclusives that I want to play, I'm PC only. In my old age I'll never for as long as I live be able to visually process what is going on in any fighting game that has air dashing mechanics (so no Smash, Marvel, insert ASW or anime/doujinshi fighter here) or ground juggles (3D fighters like Tekken). Street Fighter games are something I can at least follow, so that's one incentive for why I'd even want to TRY playing. Another critical factor: of the games being continually mentioned in this thread (so not counting Killer Instinct or Tekken 7 which isn't out yet), Street Fighter V is the only one with cross-platform multiplayer, and therefore it is the only fighting game with a large enough player base that I even stand any sort of chance at all at finding people at comparable skill level to me. And it still takes a fair bit of time to find a Casual or Lobby match there with a full connection.

Without cross-platform multiplayer I'm sunk. This counts both single player only as well as multiplayer, but Mortal Kombat X on PC has about 500 players within the last 24 hours (and I understand its netcode isn't good), and the latest Naruto game has about 300 (luckily they have lots of single-player modes). Skullgirls is about the same. This thread has lots of love for Guilty Gear Xrd, but there is a grand total of 120 people playing it on PC (down from its all-time high of just under 2000), and their level of proficiency exceeds a newcomer's so greatly that there's nothing to be learned in losing to them. About 90 people are playing Dead or Alive 5 on PC. For all the advocacy given towards FightCade, it only seems to list single to low double digit numbers of players for any particular game, suggesting I either set it up wrong or the amount of effort needed to get it set up restricts it to the realm of diehards only. The number of people playing Divekick is about...10. Street Fighter V is the only one enough people are playing (2000 on PC plus the console players).

True, "you must lose to get better." But when you ask "why was I beaten?" the answer has to be something you can grasp as being attainable. Getting crushed by Gold/Platinum/Diamond equivalent types just makes that seem like an impossibility.

pussy

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Daryl Surat posted:

For all the advocacy given towards FightCade, it only seems to list single to low double digit numbers of players for any particular game, suggesting I either set it up wrong or the amount of effort needed to get it set up restricts it to the realm of diehards only.

Yes you set it up wrong or something. KOF 98, KOF 2002, and Third Strike are almost always beyond 100 players at any given moment.

EDIT - Screenshot I just took right now as a matter of fact.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 25, 2016

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Daryl Surat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7jHdScWW6k&hd=1

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Daryl Surat posted:

For all the complaints I've seen about xrd's player population on PC, I've usually been able to find a lobby and jump in on a game pretty quickly, and the players I've seen are often willing to hunker down for multiple matches. I haven't played SFV since they fixed the matchmaking, but I remember it'd take awhile for me to find a match, it'd set me up with someone at a random rank hopefully near mine, I'd sit through a noticeable loading screen, play one match and maybe get them to do a runback before I'd have to start the process over again.

I lose a lot in xrd, but when I do take a round off a better player it's been a lot more satisfying than blowing up a player who doesn't seem to know what they're doing. YMMV, but my enjoyment of fighting games has gone up a lot since I stopped expecting to win a game every time I go online.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Daryl Surat posted:

In my old age I'll never for as long as I live be able to visually process what is going on in any fighting game that has air dashing mechanics (so no Smash, Marvel, insert ASW or anime/doujinshi fighter here) or ground juggles (3D fighters like Tekken).

you know, fighting games might not be like, something you should be trying to play in the first place

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

Breeeoonnngg!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Daryl Surat posted:

i mean you're not wrong but people who get discouraged by losing should stick to games that baby their ego

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i have no idea what that post says i only read like 3 sentences and then i blacked out and punched a hole in my wall

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Pomp posted:

i mean you're not wrong but people who get discouraged by losing should stick to games that baby their ego

Eh, he does have a point re: smaller niche communities. The level of play tends to be higher and unless you actively pursue people online to play and teach you, you're just gonna get wrecked without knowing what the gently caress is going on. The "you're a baby" attitude is also very encouraging, I assume. Then people wonder why GG is considered "hard". Fuckin' hell.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Daryl Surat posted:

I'm not saying your wrong for wanting it, but the fighting game you're describing simply does not exist. In fact, the only company that has enough money to create a fighting game with everything a casual fan wants is probably Blizzard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i really wish football was played with fewer people and less running and throwing over a shorter distance with a larger ball no physical contact allowed and over a much shorter period of time so i could play it with the better players without feeling like a complete baby